gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:42:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goin' To The Beach  (Read 27701 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2013, 06:09:49 PM »

The song's inoffensive fluff, like too much of their stuff from this period. What rankles with me is that we all know that there are better unreleased songs, but this particular one seems to turn up in interviews with Mike over the years like it's his fucking holy grail. I'd have rather had the early Big Sur (though I prefer the Holland version) as Mike's unreleased gem - or a live version of Country Pie if he wanted to showcase his then still decent rock'n'roll voice (and yeah, I know he didn't write it).

Tough, tough world.

If Goin to the Beach hadn`t been included then those two songs still presumably wouldn`t have made the cut. There are no live songs from 76 to 92 (odd for a career retrospective) and lord knows why Big Sur didn`t make the set.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2013, 06:11:52 PM »

Right, SMILE Brian. A song like "Surfin' USA" has real excitement in its arrangement. Dennis pounds the drums, the bass line walks on out of the root, and there are two interlocking guitar parts! Why Mike seemingly failed to understand the importance of that aspect of formula mystifies me. But Brian is to blame for that, as well. He was seemingly content to plod on the piano in the late '70s/early '80s most of the time. "Da Doo Ron Ron" (soon to be on the box!) is a perfect example of robot Brian. I could recreate the BBs arrangement of "Da Doo Ron Ron" in Fruity Loops/FL Studio on my computer in 10 minutes.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2013, 06:12:10 PM »

Going to the Beach is so lame I can think of nothing else to add...

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2013, 06:28:29 PM »

The late '70s Beach Boys always sounded like a karaoke band instrumentally. With the kind of money being thrown at them, you'd think they could try a little harder.

I'm gonna call this song trash. Not because it's necessarily bad, but it's about as rudimentary of songwriting as you could do. There are a million bands that could write a clunker like this. In fact, the bands at those rock & roll "camps" Brian always makes a cameo at have probably churned out stronger material.

Seriously, what's there to like? "Oh wow, they're capable of playing generic chords in time! Listen to that bass hammer away repetitively on the root note! Someone was able to get three of their fingers to plod on the keyboard all at once! And Mike managed to write a pedestrian melody!"

But ... but ... it's "Goin to the Beach," don't you see?  It has the word "Beach" in it.  "Beach" as in where people go surfing and spend their summers.  And the "Beach Boys."  Beach, I tell you.  So if you don't like this track, or you think it's a bad idea to market the box set with "Goin' to the Beach," or if you think they should be promoting that "arty" stuff, you're denying the group's history.  Don't be a denier.

Why the smart-ass remark? Are you making fun of people who just may like it? If you don't like it, that is fine, but really, is it necessary to ridicule others? Promoting anything other than what the general potential buyer may know isn't going to help sell the box set. Many in here are deluded if they think promoting Smile era music or the later stuff will help sell units. The old stuff sells. We have seen that for years. So far, Capitol has gotten it right. Also, I don't see this song any differently than I do any song from the KTSA time frame.

What smart-ass remark?  I was merely trying to characterize the now-prevailing attitude on this board.  Sure, there are a few dissenters, but to many, MIU is the new Pet Sounds, Pitter Patter is the new Good Vibrations, Mike is the new Brian and basic is the new complex.  Eventually, keepinthesummeralive.net will be the new smileysmile.net.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »

Count me in as a "few dissenter"

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2013, 06:35:18 PM »

What smart-ass remark?  I was merely trying to characterize the now-prevailing attitude on this board.  Sure, there are a few dissenters, but to many, MIU is the new Pet Sounds, Pitter Patter is the new Good Vibrations, Mike is the new Brian and basic is the new complex.  Eventually, keepinthesummeralive.net will be the new smileysmile.net.

Well, I'm calling it now.

July 23, 2013. 6:28:29.
The most ridiculous thing ever said on this board.
Nicko1234
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »

Except it`s just not true is it. There are plenty of people knocking Goin to the Beach and nobody has a problem with that. Even more people dislike MIU. If some people hold differing opinions to you then why does that threaten you? I don`t get it.

And there seems to be some myth that if anybody says one good word about something that Mike has done that they are in some way belittling Brian. It`s BS. I have yet to hear anybody say, `Goin to the Beach is the most exciting rarity to be included on the box` after all. Surely fans of the Beach Boys should be allowed to praise all members at times.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2013, 06:48:20 PM »

Not by a country mile-go back a few years and read posts from then till now and you'll find plenty of ridiculous things that have been said-and yes, by me, too. Wink
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2013, 06:53:06 PM »

I found this Demo of Goin to the Beach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8er-kxIPhA

I had a fast Life
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2013, 07:28:45 PM »

The late '70s Beach Boys always sounded like a karaoke band instrumentally. With the kind of money being thrown at them, you'd think they could try a little harder.

I'm gonna call this song trash. Not because it's necessarily bad, but it's about as rudimentary of songwriting as you could do. There are a million bands that could write a clunker like this. In fact, the bands at those rock & roll "camps" Brian always makes a cameo at have probably churned out stronger material.

Seriously, what's there to like? "Oh wow, they're capable of playing generic chords in time! Listen to that bass hammer away repetitively on the root note! Someone was able to get three of their fingers to plod on the keyboard all at once! And Mike managed to write a pedestrian melody!"

But ... but ... it's "Goin to the Beach," don't you see?  It has the word "Beach" in it.  "Beach" as in where people go surfing and spend their summers.  And the "Beach Boys."  Beach, I tell you.  So if you don't like this track, or you think it's a bad idea to market the box set with "Goin' to the Beach," or if you think they should be promoting that "arty" stuff, you're denying the group's history.  Don't be a denier.

Why the smart-ass remark? Are you making fun of people who just may like it? If you don't like it, that is fine, but really, is it necessary to ridicule others? Promoting anything other than what the general potential buyer may know isn't going to help sell the box set. Many in here are deluded if they think promoting Smile era music or the later stuff will help sell units. The old stuff sells. We have seen that for years. So far, Capitol has gotten it right. Also, I don't see this song any differently than I do any song from the KTSA time frame.

I am not getting into this Brian vs Mike thing again. Every freakin' thread degenerates into this. I guess like a few others have done, I am out of here until the box set is released. You guys are driving people away with this crap. Enjoy!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2013, 07:31:12 PM »

Nope, this still is:

My first Manson wrote listen a very beutifull song sung by one Willium Axl Rose . A song called look at your game girl. Axl in fact became completley obsessed with manson. He wore a shirt very often with various masnon themed frazes, ie charlie dont surf!

Fair enough, he was very fkd up.

But, he did have a very eatherel sence of song. A song that only, in my mind, has no fear. He, and in every sence of the word had balls. His was a world of confusion, but his lyrics speak out to me.

Bottom line though, FUM HIM THE MOURDOROUS BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Praise him and you are as bad as I am!

Im in no way religious, infact I hate the whole god fad. But I still feel like Ive sined for praising MANSON.

Cheers

Barry

PS     http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=424310

A discipline daddy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2013, 07:49:41 PM »

One of the shittiest attitudes toward an artform I've ever seen. Why are you here and not on some math rock forum?

What smart-ass remark?  I was merely trying to characterize the now-prevailing attitude on this board.  Sure, there are a few dissenters, but to many, MIU is the new Pet Sounds, Pitter Patter is the new Good Vibrations, Mike is the new Brian and basic is the new complex.  Eventually, keepinthesummeralive.net will be the new smileysmile.net.

Aaaaand one of the most absurd posts I've seen around these parts. You and Ron should hook up, you can be extremely, irrationally hyperbolic and condescending to one another all the live long day.

Sorry guys, but jeez.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 07:51:02 PM by CRIED SO HARD, TEEARDROPS ON MY BED. LET'S GO MOTHER FUCKER » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2013, 08:05:34 PM »

One of the shittiest attitudes toward an artform I've ever seen. Why are you here and not on some math rock forum?

What smart-ass remark?  I was merely trying to characterize the now-prevailing attitude on this board.  Sure, there are a few dissenters, but to many, MIU is the new Pet Sounds, Pitter Patter is the new Good Vibrations, Mike is the new Brian and basic is the new complex.  Eventually, keepinthesummeralive.net will be the new smileysmile.net.

Aaaaand one of the most absurd posts I've seen around these parts. You and Ron should hook up, you can be extremely, irrationally hyperbolic and condescending to one another all the live long day.

Sorry guys, but jeez.

This Ron sounds like a good guy, at least if he objects to the canonization of MIU and other cr*p that has nothing to do with what made the band great (or even good).
zachrwolfe
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2013, 08:23:23 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:54:41 PM by zatch » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2013, 08:25:04 PM »

I don't know if I've ever seen anyone praise MIU Album. Not even Mike Love mere moments after hearing the fnal mix when I ambushed him in the alley behind the studio. He said "A few songs were okay, I guess, and Brian sounds nice, but jeezus. This album is an embarrassment to my life. It should self-destruct. It has f***ed up my karma forever."

So yeah, I'm not really following you here. ;(

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Nicko1234
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2013, 08:29:38 PM »

This Ron sounds like a good guy, at least if he objects to the canonization of MIU and other cr*p that has nothing to do with what made the band great (or even good).

I think you need a rest.

What on earth does MIU have to do with this thread?

I`m sure Mike Love would be amused that you spend so much time and energy thinking about him though. Smiley
zachrwolfe
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:54:35 PM by zatch » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2013, 08:36:40 PM »

I don't know if I've ever seen anyone praise MIU Album. Not even Mike Love mere moments after hearing the fnal mix when I ambushed him in the alley behind the studio. He said "A few songs were okay, I guess, and Brian sounds nice, but jeezus. This album is an embarrassment to my life. It should self-destruct. It has f***ed up my karma forever."

So yeah, I'm not really following you here. ;(

First page of Unpopular Opinions:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15799.msg377079.html#msg377079
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15799.msg377090.html#msg377090

Yeah, it doesn't measure up to much of their other work but it can still be enjoyed as it's own entity. You yourself posted a rant on a similar topic, if I recall.

That thread was called unpopular opinions for a reason.

Maybe he should have sidestepped it if he knew it was going to raise his blood pressure.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2013, 08:39:46 PM »

Not even Al Jardine or Ron Altbach think MIU is great. There were better tracks floating around in late '77 that went either to Celebration or to the vaults (some Christmas, Adult Child and Bambu). It's a misstep, but what's the use in always summing it up with "It should self-destruct.. I hope that the karma will f*** up Mike Love’s meditation forever"? We might as well say that Pet Sounds is "the best album ever made" and be done with it.

I'd rather listen to MIU than to That Lucky Old Sun.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2013, 09:10:54 PM »

i don't think MIU is ALL that bad!  says I who doesn't mind 'Summer in Paradise'....

the worst album in terms on contruction to me, would be 'still cruisin'..... now what is that??

its a 'best of' meets 'The Beach Boys' with a song from 'Brian' and 'Al' or whoever has something to contribute.......

they had enough stuff floating around to make a current album of the time..... r n r to the rescue, California dreamin,

even the live 'runaway' would have been better....

the only one i'd grant them as being a valid inclusion in terms of hits, would be 'BB medley'......and even that's borderline....

back on topic.... anyone gonna soundcloud or youtube 'GTTB'??

Thanks, RickB
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:11:49 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2013, 09:55:34 PM »

'Goin to the Beach' is alright ... I like the song but the production is a little bland, it's a little too "rockin'", the mix a bit too modern and on and on and on ...

but it's the Beach Boys and it really sounds like the Beach Boys. As does MIU ... and they're both better than anything that came since, except the Paley stuff and 'Male Ego'.

(IN MY OPINION)

hooray for new (old) Beach Boys music! we're about to get the last motherload boys !!!

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2013, 09:57:50 PM »

Right, SMILE Brian. A song like "Surfin' USA" has real excitement in its arrangement. Dennis pounds the drums, the bass line walks on out of the root, and there are two interlocking guitar parts! Why Mike seemingly failed to understand the importance of that aspect of formula mystifies me. But Brian is to blame for that, as well. He was seemingly content to plod on the piano in the late '70s/early '80s most of the time. "Da Doo Ron Ron" (soon to be on the box!) is a perfect example of robot Brian. I could recreate the BBs arrangement of "Da Doo Ron Ron" in Fruity Loops/FL Studio on my computer in 10 minutes.

Mike's a singer and doesn't pay much attention to that kinda stuff. His interest is in communicating a message to people.

Brian doesn't seem to have shown much interest in producing a recording since 1969, so cut him some slack.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:00:07 PM by DonnyL » Logged

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2013, 10:52:07 PM »

after listening to it after the first 3 listens..... I think it's bloody catchy!!

I really dig it!   maybe it could get annoying after a while, not sure, time will tell.....

it sounds like its a recent vocal take to me.... but it sounds 'modified' to sound 'edgy' or 'rocky'.....

would be keen to know the production behind this and what they used and re-recorded...

Good Work BB's!!

RickB
zachrwolfe
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2013, 11:29:58 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:54:27 PM by zatch » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2013, 01:52:57 AM »

You really see everything in black and white, don't you Jeff? "If you're not with me 100%, like only 99%, you're against me 100%" or what? Is it really so unbearable and unimaginable to you that people have opinions differing from yours? That's a pretty extremist point of view and that is never a good thing.

For your info, I enjoy MIU way more than Love You - all I have to do is skip half of the tracks on MIU. Pitter Patter is great, in spite of the lame chord progression in the chorus. Pet Sounds though is way better than either of those two albums. (D'oh!)

Can't wait to hear "Goin' To The Beach" - I'm sure it is up to par with "It's Trying To Say"! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx