gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:56:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Hallmark Beach Boys CD "Songs From Here And Back"  (Read 22017 times)
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2006, 09:56:38 PM »

OK I'll start this one and the mods can move it over to the 21st century albums box.
Well I got the new Hallmark CD.  Buy three cards and they give it to you cheap.  First ten songs are Mike & Bruce live, a pretty good representation of their more-or-less current live show ("Dance Dnce Dance", "Wouldn't It Be Nice", I Get Around", "GV" and the like).  A decent listen, but with a few clams here and there.  Includes Jeff Foskett, CD recorded by Mark Linett and Alan Boyd.   The 3 solo cuts are a bit schizoid.  Brian's is the Gary Usher co-written  "The Spirit of Rock & Roll", it's a mid-temp rocker, OK but not spectactular, like a lot of GIOMH.  Al's "PT Cruiser" is a re-write of [insert name of favorite BB car song].  OK too, but obviously trying to sound retro.  Mike's "Cool Head and Warm Heart" starts out with an "Our Prayer"- like choral intro (not arranged by Mike but by Adrian Baker), then turns into a soft ballad not unlike "Meant for You".  Shallow but pleasant.  If he can keep that going he may be on to something. 

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 12:09:08 AM »

A couple of questions: Did you get this by simply going into a Hallmark store? It wasn't supposed to be out until May 15, although I always guessed that different stores might put it out at different times since they don't deal mainly with CD or DVD releases, which are supposed to have an exact date for release.

Secondly, are you sure the recordings are of Mike & Bruce? All of the indications previously have been that most of the live stuff is from 1989 (thus including Al, Bruce, Mike, Carl, and Brian) with a couple tracks from 1974 (presumably Al, Mike, Carl, and Dennis). I believe "Wouldn't It Be Nice" was supposed to be one of the 1974 tracks, which means it probably would have had Al (or perhaps Carl) on lead vocals. I know the circa 1989 BB's could sound rather anemic sometimes, but I'm a bit worried about this CD because I would think that lead vocals from Carl or Al on those live tracks would be obvious. Do these live tracks sound like they have other guys from Mike & Bruce's band singing? I don't think Mike or Bruce handle the Carl or Brian leads like WIBN or GV in the current touring band, so those would have to have some of the backing members (Cowsill, Farmer, etc.) singing if they are current Mike & Bruce live tracks.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 03:14:11 AM »

I don't think that they ould've been allowed to call it a "Beach Boys"-product when it was just the Mike'n'Bruce-show (no bashing!). They are allowed to call themselves "The Beach Boys" in concert and on tour, but not for studio works or CDs afaik.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 06:16:14 AM »

Yeah, GV was also supposed to be 1974 and those tracks were the main selling point for my buying it.  And how did you get a copy?
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 06:24:15 AM »

Well I'm at work now and can't check the CD, so this is from memory.   Yes I just went into a local Hallmark store yesterday and bought it, guess they released it early.  It is billed as the BB.  The concert was recorded in one venue in California by Mark Linett,  produced by him and Alan Boyd.  So it can't be from the 70s or early 80s, Linett  wasn't working for them yet.  I don't believe a specific recording date is mentioned.  (Maybe ask them on their threads?)  Nor, interestingly, does the booklet list Mike or Bruce as participants in the live set !(But they're there, of course).  EDIT: Since the personnel listing is vague, it's not clear what era it's from or who else is on it, for all I know Al may be there too, but it sounds fairly recent.  Right off I only recognized Mike but I'll listen again. The booklet just lists the musicians in the backing band.  Jeff Foskett is among them.  Then there are the three solo tracks I described.  I'll update when I can look at the disc again for additional info.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 06:30:53 AM by Dr. Tim » Logged

Hey kids! Remember:
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 06:28:50 AM »

If they changed the CD, that will suck.  A 1974 pair of tracks was interesting.  10 tracks by the current band?  Ugh.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 06:44:11 AM »

The majority of the live tracks are from the 1989 show that was used for the "Endless Summer" tv specials.  Exceptions are WIBN and GV which are from 74.  The new tracks are nothing really noteworthy (trust me I've heard them).  I'll buy this album when it's released around here but only because I'm a completist.  If I had to pay full-price for it I'd be disappointed.  Still, new (old) Beach Boys product is better than none at all.  Let's just hope that Alan B can find the ADATs for the 93 Atlanta show and see that bugger released!!!

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 07:00:28 AM »

I'd not been following the background of this project so when I first listened to it I wasn't trying to pick out Al and Brian in there.   Now I will.  But like I said the booklet is deliberately vague on recording dates and which BB are in the live show, and you guys may be right that there may be contractual reasons for that.  But if I can get hold of the disc then surely some of you can and with your knowledge of the source recordings, among us we can post a more comprehensive review.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 02:32:12 PM by Dr. Tim » Logged

Hey kids! Remember:
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 09:57:57 AM »

My local DJ friend is sending me the CD as we speak. Should have it in a couple of days....
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 01:19:55 PM »

The live tracks do indeed feature The Beach Boys - with Brian.   (More info on that later)

And yes - there is a website under construction!  This is going to be THE official Beach Boys/Brother Records site, with all sorts of special features in the works.... including exclusive releases of material from The Beach Boys' archives. 

Stay tuned for details!

(We had planned to have a temporary page up in time for the release of the CD, but it turns out that the album is hitting the shelves a little earlier than we anticipated!)

Alan
Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 01:23:54 PM »

" including exclusive releases of material from The Beach Boys' archives. " Wow! Will
these be available only thru the website? My mouth is watering for more! I hope
this is along the lines of the RCA FTD Elvis collector releases!

My mouth is drooling! Smiley

Regards,
Cal
Smiley

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 01:25:12 PM »

Holy crap! I need to change my shorts! This is the best news I've heard in ages!
Jason
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 01:44:52 PM »

Wonderful news indeed. Our dreams are coming true...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 02:13:17 PM »

Does Brian's "Spirit" feature only his voice, or is his band included with harmonies? To me, that makes all the difference in the world.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 02:16:07 PM »

This is from memory because I haven't watched the video for awhile...

If those live tracks are from the 1989 concert that was featured on the Endless Summer TV show, then Brian Wilson was NOT present - at least not for the Beach Boys' portion of the concert.

On each Endless Summer TV show, they would show one or two songs from this Beach Boys' concert (wasn't Mike wearing a black outfit?). Actually, on a couple of the songs, Mike re-recorded his lead vocal later; it is obvious. Anyway, I don't remember seeing Brian on stage.

However, Brian did appear on two "solo" songs - "Love And Mercy" and "In My Car" - from I believe the same concert. I remember it was very uncomfortable watching him holding a microphone and "dancing" and gesturing on the stage.

Can anybody confirm or correct me on this...
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 02:30:00 PM »

Well the info from Mr. Boyd is most helpful, when I get home I'll check the CD with headphones and see if I hear Brian, etc.  and verify what Jeff and others have noted above.  "Love and Mercy" and "In My Car" are not included on this CD.  The only clue on the live set is the B&W guys-going-grey publicity photo on the back of the CD, which you've seen before.  They're not listed by name in the lineup and it doesn't say "recorded at the 1989 concert" or 1974 concert or whatever.  Again, I'm assuming there are legal reasons for this (not meaning anything sinister by that, just how someone or some contract said it had to be).  Yes Brian's band is singing with him on "Spirit of Rock and Roll", sort of the reduced group like he used for the CD single "Path of Life". 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 02:32:40 PM by Dr. Tim » Logged

Hey kids! Remember:
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 02:34:02 PM »

Does Brian's "Spirit" feature only his voice, or is his band included with harmonies? To me, that makes all the difference in the world.

The track features Brian, Scotty B, Tay-Tay, and wildman Nelson plus sax from Joel Peskin.  It was recorded at the same session as "Path of Life"

Edited to add: Brian is in great form here, but it would have truly benefitted from having the full BWBand both instrumentally and especially vocally.  Oh well...  still a great track
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 02:39:18 PM by GoofyJeff » Logged

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 02:37:00 PM »

As I understand it, during the 1989 tour (some or all of which were shows on a tour with Chicago), Brian did some dates with the group. I know of one show in Phildelphia that circulates that shows this type of show: The BB's would start the show without Brian. Then Brian would come on and play a few songs with the group (usually something like "Surfer Girl" with Brian singing the bridge). Then the BB's would leave the stage and Brian would do a mini-set of songs from his solo '88 album using a mixture of backing tracks and the live BB band (usually "Love and Mercy", "Walkin' the Line", and "Melt Away", although at one show at least as shown on the "Endless Summer" show, he did "In My Car" solo as well). Then, I believe, Brian would leave the stage and the BB's would finish the show without him.

The "Endless Summer" show, in terms of the footage from the actual live show, only showed some songs (usually 1-2 songs per show), and didn't show any of the songs Brian and the BB's did together. But they did do a few at most of those shows.

I'm also not sure that this new Hallmark CD is taken from the actual show used for "Endless Summer" (which was the Universal Amphitheater). I always just assumed it was from that string of shows on that tour. It may be from that actual show, I don't know.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 03:35:45 PM »

I like this version of "spirit of rock&roll" better than the SI-one
But I believe the live tracks were a little doctored in the studio

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 03:50:18 PM »

Quote from: Alan Boyd
And yes - there is a website under construction!  This is going to be THE official Beach Boys/Brother Records site, with all sorts of special features in the works.... including exclusive releases of material from The Beach Boys' archives.

Wow -- that's fantastic news (and long overdue)! I love the idea of putting the money directly into the artists' pockets. The Beach Boys beat the boots, indeed. Smiley It's about time!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 05:07:25 PM »

I just thought I'd mention that it doesn't appear that this early release is planned by Hallmark. It sounds like one store (and no doubt a few) have simply messed up and put the CD out early. I've just called four different local Hallmark stores and none of them have it out yet. Interestingly considering how clueless retailers can sometimes be, most of the Hallmark stores I called were quite aware of the BB CD, and were quick to mention that it is due in May (15th to be exact, although one store mentioned they might get it early, just not this early).

Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 06:28:02 PM »

OK here's the deal, see...

Most of the live stuff is clearly 1989 because Mike introduces "Kokomo" as something they hit with "last summer".  The credits say all the live tracks were recorded at the Universal Ampitheater.  Mark Linett mixed it but there are no recording engineer credits (small correction there). Good Vibrations, though, sounds like it's from the same concert, not 1974.  If that one is from 1974 there's some real sleight of hand going on.  Jeff Mason's info is otherwise right, it seems: Al is certainly in there and his son Matt is in the band.  If Brian is there, he's well blended in and not taking any lead.  The concert song lineup is "Dance Dance Dance", "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "Surfer Girl," "Kokomo", Mike does a corny bit about not playing the old used car songs anymore, then they launch into "Little Deuce Coupe" and "I Get Around."  GV is the last live track and  they say they're going to intermission, then there's the three solo tracks.

As for how the store near here got it and no one else did, can't say.  But if you're in Pennington, New Jersey you can pick one up.  They've got quite a few.

Hey kids! Remember:
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 07:16:47 PM »

If I remember the early word on this CD, the '89 and '74 tracks were going to be mixed together (with five songs from '89 and two from '74). One way to tell if there are any '74 tracks: Is Al singing the lead on "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" If so, it's probably not from 1989, as Carl had taken over the lead on that by '89. (Although, I've heard shows from the 1988-89 timeframe in which the band kind of can't decide who is singing lead. I've heard a show from 1988 that features Al, Carl, and Jeff Foskett all singing the lead in unison for some reason; even Mike comes in well before the bridge and is singing too. Really weird.)

As for how your Hallmark store is selling the CD, I doubt there's any big mystery behind it. The store probably just put it out before they were supposed to. Most of the stores probably already have the CD's in stock, they're just waiting to put them out for sale on May 15.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 07:23:39 PM »

I am pretty sure most of us who grab every show in sight will be able to tell within two listens if WIBN and GV are from 1974.  That would mean that Ricky would be on drums and the sound would be more agressive and fuller than on the 89 material.  This is what was originally announced in the press release.  So most of us will see in two and a half weeks.
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 07:32:48 PM »

Point to Jeff: Ricky Fataar is listed as one of the musicians, so that would suggest 1974.  Maybe your educated ears can tell for sure, I've listened a couple times now and the blend is really good if some of these tracks are fifteen years apart.   I see Mr. Boyd is looking in -- care to comment?

I gave you guys a name check when I condensed this and posted it on the grey board.

Hey kids! Remember:
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx