gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:34:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick Nicky Wonder story from AC show  (Read 2952 times)
If Mars had life on it...
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2013, 08:05:59 PM »

I was at the Atlantic City show and stayed in the Golden Nugget afterwards.  The show was nothing short of magical for me and my parents.  I am a HUGE Brian fan and he didn't disappoint.

After the show, we went back to the hotel room and just talked about the experience for close to an hour.  My dad then asked if I wanted to go downstairs and walk around and possibly do a little gambling.

As we walk out of our room (probably sometime after midnight) I see Nicky Wonder walking towards us alone with his hands full of food.  I couldn't believe it, as I had a very profound personal experience with him 13 years earlier.

I said, "Hey Nicky Wonder, you guys were fabulous tonight!  Can I talk to you for a minute please?"  (I know this sounds a bit pushy, but I had to)

I continued, "You did a really nice thing for me 13 years ago, It was in Harrisburg, PA during the Pet Sounds tour.  I asked you if you knew where the gig was at as I was a little lost.  you told me you were in the band.  To make a long story short, you went and got me and my friends 4 backstage passes to meet Brian.  It's because of you that I got to meet one of my heroes.  I just wanted to thank you for doing such a nice thing" 

He smiled and said I was welcome and thanked me for coming to the show.  Actually he said he remembered the story, but I think he was just being nice.

As an aside, I'm an elementary music teacher and every year when I teach my students about the Beach Boys and their leader Brian Wilson, I get to tell them that I got to meet him.  I got a picture and a poster signed, I actually knocked Brian's diet coke over and it spilled all over this table!!  I was on such a cloud I didn't even feel bad. 

I was so happy to see Nicky Wonder back with the band.  When I met him in 2000, I remember him making the comment about the band having a great chemistry with Brian, and that Brian said if he had them in the 60's he would have finished Smile.  That blew me away as Smile at the time was still very hidden away.  After the last song, Nick grabbed two set lists and gave it us (we were in the front row)!

Thanks Nick for being such a gentleman!

PS the Endless Sky DVD with Nick and Darian is very insightful and entertaining.  It's great to see this music played by such great people.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 08:14:44 PM »

Nice to know he's still on good terms with the band after getting booted from the C50 tour

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 08:24:43 PM »

Nice to know he's still on good terms with the band after getting booted from the C50 tour

I never heard that, I thought he backed out because of the flu or something like that.

GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 08:26:36 PM »

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason he stopped touring last year was due to a medical issue... somewhat serious if I remember correctly.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 08:47:53 PM »

I had a similar story with Darian! I love the mints so I went up to him at the bar and introduced myself, and I asked him to sign my Heroes and Villians 45, it was all I had with me. He said it was so awesome to see an original, and he said he wasn't the genius on this record and brought it back for Brian to sign, then I said "well, you were the musical director on Smile!" So he signed and seemed really genuinely happy that I appreciated not only his older work, but his part in the BW story. We talked a bit then I branched into conversation with the other band members haha!

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 09:46:34 PM »

PS the Endless Sky DVD with Nick and Darian is very insightful and entertaining. 

+1; great storytellers. It's a shame that the series of DVDs has stalled.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 02:27:55 AM »

I thought Nicky left the C50 touring band because it was felt that there were too many people/guitars on stage and costs could be cut by dropping him.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 08:45:25 AM »

I thought Nicky left the C50 touring band because it was felt that there were too many people/guitars on stage and costs could be cut by dropping him.

That's what I thought too.

Maybe that was a rumor. If it was health related I'm glad to hear he's doing better.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 08:50:59 AM »

That's categorically incorrect. He began the tour with them and then did get pretty sick. Now, I would expect that he didn't rejoin the tour for reasons along the lines of what you stated above. The tour ran a long time, and I doubt he was ailing for the entire run of shows.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:51:56 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 09:19:08 AM »

I'm going to stick my neck on the block and  hope my memory hasn't let me down but I seem to remember Nicky having kidney stones which is I understand excruciatingly painful.

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 10:04:33 AM »

I heard it was kidney stones too.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 08:56:12 AM »

Great story, Mars! Very original, since I didn't hear anything re meetings/talks with Mr. Walusco. Other bandmates like Jeff, Darian, Nelson & Scott seem to get more beams of light, they're more recognizable. In that way, Nicky is undeservedly overlooked by many. He plays good on guitar, the "Here Today" bass solo (though sonically it's also similar to the muted lead guitar) was ace! The effect of wheeled tractor - that's how it sounded to me. Very cool!

Non-musical query: I wonder what is the reason behind wearing a headgear. Fashion or health-related, i.e. sth. wrong with his head so Nick needs to keep it warm?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 10:29:40 AM »

Non-musical query: I wonder what is the reason behind wearing a headgear. Fashion or health-related, i.e. sth. wrong with his head so Nick needs to keep it warm?

I figured it was the same reason Mike Love wears headgear.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 10:39:16 AM »

That didn't stop the Beach Boys from having too many keyboard players in the '80s...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx