gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:50:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys And My Life  (Read 2468 times)
mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2013, 06:00:33 PM »

Hey guys, I've been on the boards for a bit but I wanted to share a story I never have before about my experience listening to the Beach Boys.

I have a vague recollection of listening to my mom's beach boys hits CD when I was 9 or 10 and going NUTS. I don't remember which collection it was but it had mostly early surf stuff and I would listen to it and dance a lot.

One day my sibling told me that it wasn't 'cool' to listen to the Beach Boys. They were out of fashion, and I would never make friends liking music like that. So being an idiot kid, I stopped completely.

Over the next ten years I played and studied music in school bands but was always frustrated with pop music. It just wasn't clever or spiritual enough. I liked the Beatles, but found modern music to be off-putting.

In my sophomore year in college, I listened to Pet Sounds and DEAR GOD IT WAS BLISS. I listened to that album obsessively, over and over, day after day, for almost 3 years. During that time I discovered SMiLE, Love You, and returned to the early stuff I remembered from my childhood and couldn't believe how beautiful, rich, complex, and spiritual it all was. 

I still listen to the Beach Boys nearly every day. I can't believe how the music I loved when I was a small kid still resonates with my soul to this day. The music of Brian is beautiful and magical, and I just wanted to share my story of coming to appreciate it.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 09:35:15 AM »

Hey guys, I've been on the boards for a bit but I wanted to share a story I never have before about my experience listening to the Beach Boys.

I have a vague recollection of listening to my mom's beach boys hits CD when I was 9 or 10 and going NUTS. I don't remember which collection it was but it had mostly early surf stuff and I would listen to it and dance a lot.

One day my sibling told me that it wasn't 'cool' to listen to the Beach Boys. They were out of fashion, and I would never make friends liking music like that. So being an idiot kid, I stopped completely.

Over the next ten years I played and studied music in school bands but was always frustrated with pop music. It just wasn't clever or spiritual enough. I liked the Beatles, but found modern music to be off-putting.

In my sophomore year in college, I listened to Pet Sounds and DEAR GOD IT WAS BLISS. I listened to that album obsessively, over and over, day after day, for almost 3 years. During that time I discovered SMiLE, Love You, and returned to the early stuff I remembered from my childhood and couldn't believe how beautiful, rich, complex, and spiritual it all was. 

I still listen to the Beach Boys nearly every day. I can't believe how the music I loved when I was a small kid still resonates with my soul to this day. The music of Brian is beautiful and magical, and I just wanted to share my story of coming to appreciate it.
A general 'life story' regarding BBs music that a lot of the folks here share. Smiley Welcome to the board!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx