gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680854 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 12:55:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys on "Best Ever Albums"  (Read 6369 times)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 12:40:07 PM »

Summer in Paradise is apparently better then Surfin U.S.A. AND 20/20 and is top 10,000  LOL
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 09:37:44 PM »

Just registered, pretty disappointed that you have to have an actual numbered list instead of just a list. I'm pretty darn passionate about music, in fact it's about the only thing I really give a sh*t about, but I have zero idea how people can create giant album and song rankings, deciding they like this experience by this artist slightly more than that totally different experience by another artist.

Like, what makes #32 better than #33 to you? How does one figure such things out? I don't have one particular favorite album or, I guess, my favorite album or song is whatever I'm into at one particular moment. I probably love a few hundred albums, thousands of songs, but to rank them? Strange.

Music, albums, songs, they're feels and emotions and experiences. They're not a rigid, numbered list, it transcends that sort of thing.

sryz for the rant/if any of it sounded pretentious or anything, just disappointed as I thought this was pretty cool up until that point.

I don't particularly like numbered lists either, and I totally get where you're coming from. Beyond perhaps my top 10 (which is largely unordered) everything else in my list is just a mess of my other favourite albums - it's not like I grade them on weighted criteria like production, lyricism, songcraft etc. etc. I mean, I try to put a rough idea of what makes me feel good Al near the top and what makes me feel not as good Al near the bottom, but even then, preferences are fluid and impossible to crunch a static number out for. I don't care if my list isn't a fair representation.

If it makes it easier for you to make your list, for this site, points are ascribed to how high an album is in your list, so if you feel a particular album is not properly represented on the site, just place them higher in your list and that'll increase their exposure. It may be hard to tell which albums are your favourite, but you can usually tell if a really good album is underrated.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 09:39:04 PM »

Also, I've gotta say, I'm a little bummed there's not really an enthusiastic response for this. There are a ton of other ways we can branch out exposure to create an e-buzz for the band's other music, but we'd need a solid group of people who'd be willing to help do that. The frustrating thing is we've got such a fantastic, expansive community on here that are really passionate about this amazing band and we recognise they often get the short end of the stick. Doesn't it make sense for us to try to band together to get other people aware of the great things we've got going?

As it stands, Summer in Paradise is supposedly better than 20/20 on Best Ever Albums, The Beach Boys '85 generates the same amount of traffic as Holland on Wikipedia and Surfin' Safari has attracted ~ 50% more ratings on Rate Your Music than Love You.

I'm not saying the former albums in the above examples deserve to be written out of history (they don't), but clearly there is a discrepancy of focus between what many on here cite as their best work, and what the public is aware of and it's a damn shame.

i only wish 10% of those who claim that pet sounds is the best album ever actually tried listening to another beach boys'album.

This could totally be a reasonable thing to wish for. Honestly, if we throw our internet weight around a bit before the flood of exposure Love and Mercy, Brian's solo album, Made in California and Brian's autobiography will bring, I feel the returns would be really pleasing.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 11:19:14 PM »

i only wish 10% of those who claim that pet sounds is the best album ever actually tried listening to another beach boys'album.

That's how I got here.
So, as uncommon as it may seem, it happens.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 11:51:18 PM »

I do think Pet Sounds is the best Beach Boys album though...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx