gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:54:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BAD press, interviews, etc.  (Read 28590 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2013, 11:27:10 AM »

Because they actually didn't agree at all?

They obviously did at one point...

Things change.

They didn`t change though did they. No matter how much people might wish they had...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2013, 12:18:22 PM »

Mike's quote is of dubious veracity. It appeared once, in a notoriously unreliable British tabloid. Until we hear some other on-the-record remarks from Mike in a legitimate source, I'd say his earlier comments -- in which he takes responsibility for ending the reunion -- should stand.

Hasnt AGD said that Mike stands by what he said and there is proof or whatever?

So he did. Well, I'll shake my head at that, then. Bizarre to me that Mike would change his story several months into his PR push for the summer. But these are the Beach Boys, after all, and by definition almost every choice they make is wrong.

(And, this is coming back to me now ... Melinda has said in past years that Brian changes his mind daily about touring as a solo artist. So it's apparently not a new thing. But I would doubt it's truly what caused the C50 to end, especially given that BAD were keen enough to continue that they're now making three albums together and touring ...)

I shake my head as well. It makes no sense. The quickest way to end the "Mike fires Brian" headlines TEN months ago would have been for Mike to say Brian ended it and Mike wanted to keep going, and then produce "proof."

I’ll totally buy that at some point after Mike booked his own shows and clearly indicated that he was going to do his own thing in the immediate future, Brian may then have stated he was done with the whole thing. But that’s a bit of the “announcing you’re leaving the party when everybody else has already left” sort of thing for lack of a less clumsy analogy.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:28:24 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »

This could've all been avoided if we all clapped just a BIT louder when Mike was introduced last year.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2013, 12:24:03 PM »

I guess it depends on your perspective and opinion, but I find Al to be divisive and clueless.

In my opinion, I don't think Al has handled the end of the C50 reunion appropriately. I'm not questioning his right to be upset about being out of a job - he can feel about it any way he wants. I just wish he would('ve) confronted Mike to his face, privately (and maybe he did), discussed the issues behind closed doors, and left it at that. Taking shots at Mike in the press is not condusive to anything positive, and it reflects badly on The Beach Boys' image, which was finally turning around. For someone like Al who is constantly preaching about the positivity of The Beach Boys' music, I wonder how much he thinks about how his comments are viewed with the public. Other than getting things off his chest in public, which is sad that at this point in his life Al feels it is necessary to do, what does Al think he is accomplishing? It's no surprise that he'll be unemployed again in a few months.

Divisive? Arguably, but I’ll get back to that. Clueless? It seems like Al is explaining things pretty bluntly and clearly, and what he’s saying seems to match just about everything we’ve heard from all sides (apart from the one unexplained anomaly of Mike saying Brian wanted to end the tour). Doesn’t sound clueless at all.

I think it’s silly to even place Al’s comments and keeping the Beach Boys’ image from “turning around” in the same context at all. The band’s image was indeed much improved due to the 50th tour and album, and everybody can take some credit for that. But the halt to that goodwill and good press and whatnot falls squarely on the shoulders of Mike for the most part. He not only by most accounts but the brakes on the entire machine that was earning the band all of that good press and good reviews, he did so with an ill-time and poorly-composed, poorly-planned series of statements and press releases that lacked the dignity and warmth of the reunion, and in a more direct, logical sense was the direct cause of the bad press that ensued at the end of the tour.

How the rest of the band has reacted to Mike ending the reunion is something worth looking at, and certainly things like the back-and-forth between Brian and Mike with dueling letters to the LA Times clearly didn’t end up clearing up the bad press about the end of the reunion, as all of the parties are continuing to be asked about it some nine or so months later. They are all at fault for not having a single agent or PR person to smooth things out internally and then publically before the bad headlines.

In terms of Al talking to Mike about it, Al did also reference in an interview around the time of the unveiling of the museum display near the end of the tour that he had broached the topic of ending or continuing the reunion with Mike directly, and planned on talking about it more. 

But Mike ended the thing, either directly or indirectly. Even after Mike’s debatable statement that Brian was the one who was done with the reunion, Mike is not saying he presently wants to work with all of the other members, or any members outside of Bruce. He clearly wants to do his own thing, to the exclusion of continuing the reunion.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:26:27 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Nicko1234
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2013, 12:29:40 PM »

So he did. Well, I'll shake my head at that, then. Bizarre to me that Mike would change his story several months into his PR push for the summer. But these are the Beach Boys, after all, and by definition almost every choice they make is wrong.

(And, this is coming back to me now ... Melinda has said in past years that Brian changes his mind daily about touring as a solo artist. So it's apparently not a new thing. But I would doubt it's truly what caused the C50 to end, especially given that BAD were keen enough to continue that they're now making three albums together and touring ...)

On a tiny scale though...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »

Yeah, but I never quite got the evil spectre of Melinda thing that goes on here. Spouse has best interests of mentally ill pensioner husband at heart, pictures at ten....
Me either. Honestly, I think she does/has done wonders for Brian. She's OK in my book.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2013, 01:43:13 PM »

I guess it depends on your perspective and opinion, but I find Al to be divisive and clueless.

In my opinion, I don't think Al has handled the end of the C50 reunion appropriately. I'm not questioning his right to be upset about being out of a job - he can feel about it any way he wants. I just wish he would('ve) confronted Mike to his face, privately (and maybe he did), discussed the issues behind closed doors, and left it at that. Taking shots at Mike in the press is not condusive to anything positive, and it reflects badly on The Beach Boys' image, which was finally turning around. For someone like Al who is constantly preaching about the positivity of The Beach Boys' music, I wonder how much he thinks about how his comments are viewed with the public. Other than getting things off his chest in public, which is sad that at this point in his life Al feels it is necessary to do, what does Al think he is accomplishing? It's no surprise that he'll be unemployed again in a few months.

Clueless? It seems like Al is explaining things pretty bluntly and clearly, and what he’s saying seems to match just about everything we’ve heard from all sides (apart from the one unexplained anomaly of Mike saying Brian wanted to end the tour).

Yeah, clueless. One can explain things bluntly and clearly and still be clueless.

Al said, "We are going to do our very best to carry on the reunion." I'm sorry, but I didn't know "the reunion" was still going on. Then, what was Al (and Brian) complaining about months ago? I thought it was about the reunion ENDING! Clueless...

By challenging Mike to "put his thoughts into action", Al has no clue how to keep band relations open and positive so a real reunion could resume. What positive thing could come out of a statement like that? And then Al says that he would like to work again with Mike and Bruce? Good luck, Al.

Al also said, "Mike pulls the plug on the whole darn thing". Really? Mike alone? So, Brian also wanting to end the tour was not accurate. Al conveniently forgot about Mike's recent statement about Brian's true wishes. And, "the whole darn thing"? What "whole darn thing"? Other than one post by an Honored Guest on this board, we know nothing was ever negotiated or finalized in reference to another BB album or future BB tours.

People are entitled to their opinions. Some people might think that Al was included on this current BAD Tour (tour?) because Brian likes Al's voice, his guitar playing, and/or his personality. I wonder if it ever crossed Al's mind that he was being USED to sell a few more tickets?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2013, 01:46:10 PM »

They did as per their mutual agreement at Brian's insistence and ended the tour after 70 some dates to return their previous arrangement.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2013, 02:02:39 PM »

I wonder if it ever crossed Al's mind that he was being USED to sell a few more tickets?

He thinks about this while cashing his check at the Big Sur Currency Exchange and mutters "it's a damn shame." Then he falls asleep with macaroni burning on the stove.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 02:05:27 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2013, 02:18:30 PM »

Clueless? It seems like Al is explaining things pretty bluntly and clearly, and what he’s saying seems to match just about everything we’ve heard from all sides (apart from the one unexplained anomaly of Mike saying Brian wanted to end the tour).

Yeah, clueless. One can explain things bluntly and clearly and still be clueless.

Al said, "We are going to do our very best to carry on the reunion." I'm sorry, but I didn't know "the reunion" was still going on. Then, what was Al (and Brian) complaining about months ago? I thought it was about the reunion ENDING! Clueless...

By challenging Mike to "put his thoughts into action", Al has no clue how to keep band relations open and positive so a real reunion could resume. What positive thing could come out of a statement like that? And then Al says that he would like to work again with Mike and Bruce? Good luck, Al.

Al also said, "Mike pulls the plug on the whole darn thing". Really? Mike alone? So, Brian also wanting to end the tour was not accurate. Al conveniently forgot about Mike's recent statement about Brian's true wishes. And, "the whole darn thing"? What "whole darn thing"? Other than one post by an Honored Guest on this board, we know nothing was ever negotiated or finalized in reference to another BB album or future BB tours.

People are entitled to their opinions. Some people might think that Al was included on this current BAD Tour (tour?) because Brian likes Al's voice, his guitar playing, and/or his personality. I wonder if it ever crossed Al's mind that he was being USED to sell a few more tickets?

In terms of “continuing the reunion”, it is plainly obvious what Al is talking about. He’s saying what they’re doing now is continuing the closest approximation of the reunion that they can, namely the three that wanted to continue the full reunion. I don’t really think you’re confused either as to what Al meant here.

As far as Mike putting his thoughts into action, I again see no confusion or cluelessness. I believe Al is referring to the idea that Mike wanting to write with Brian is a nice idea, but that Mike’s actions don’t match that idea at all. It’s clear Mike would like to write with Brian again on his (Mike’s) terms, terms that as I believe Wirestone pointed out awhile back, are completely unrealistic as they haven’t occurred in decades. I suppose Al is conflating Mike wanting to write with Brian with wanting to tour with the reunion group, but the two things clearly go hand in hand at this stage. I don’t see Brian and Mike writing together and then divvying the results up among solo albums or something.

As far as the tour ending, it is PATENTLY obvious based on all the information we have including statements from Brian, Al, and Mike, that if we’re talking specifically about an immediate extension of the reunion tour, specifically additional tour dates in 2012 and a contract for a second studio album, that Brian, Al, and David were ready in the immediate term to do just that, and that had Mike not booked dates for his own band, those projects almost certainly would have occurred. I think that’s what Mike pulled the plug on, by everyone’s admission including Mike’s. We’re not talking about the give guys staying together forever. Al has several times specifically painted a picture of what was in the immediate pipeline, and Brian’s letter to the LA Times as well as comments from Stebbins seem to line up with this picture. Once all of that was taken off the table because MIKE didn’t want to do it, then I would imagine indeed that Brian got on with his life and his professional life and eventually got into his solo stuff. I don’t doubt that in July 2013 that Al Jardine likely wants a reunion more than either Brian or Mike. The idea here is that they could have struck while the whole machine was still warm, and that didn’t happen because of Mike.

Concerning the “BAD” tour, I’m sure Al is well aware that one of the reasons Brian or anybody would want him on the tour is to sell more tickets. I’m sure part of wanting Al there is political maneuvering, both on the part of Brian’s camp as well as Al. It also appears they kind of did a “let’s scrape together as much of the reunion as we can” sort of maneuver.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »

They did as per their mutual agreement at Brian's insistence and ended the tour after 70 some dates to return their previous arrangement.

Both Brian and Mike (and Al) altered their original agreement, so they certainly set the precedent that it is technically possible to continue to alter that agreement. Nobody was or is legally obligated to do so of course, but nobody has ever claimed that that was or is the case.

Mike gets props for extending the reunion (as do the other guys), and that means he also gets jeers from some quarters for not extending it again when he could have, with little trouble.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2013, 02:24:28 PM »

Both Brian and Mike (and Al) altered their original agreement, so they certainly set the precedent that it is technically possible to continue to alter that agreement. Nobody was or is legally obligated to do so of course, but nobody has ever claimed that that was or is the case.

Mike gets props for extending the reunion (as do the other guys), and that means he also gets jeers from some quarters for not extending it again when he could have, with little trouble.

When has this not been said in 50 other diiferent threads? We never seem to get any further past this point in the argument. We are  Dead Horse

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2013, 02:27:28 PM »

When has this not been said in 50 other diiferent threads? We never seem to get any further past this point in the argument. We are  Dead Horse

True.... Very true......

mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2013, 02:29:49 PM »

Glad to see Al speak his mind. From Brian's perspective, I'd imagine it's all an affair of his life with the heroes and villains.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »

Yeah, but the guys keep doing interviews and Mike has changed his story. Sure, Brian extended but said no more. Months later, Brian's back is better, is having fun and offers are rolling in. In the meantime, Mike is gearing up his band. It had to end sometime and in typical BB fashion, it did so in a "Cluster Fu%&". We were all bummed cause we could have gotten another album and more shows.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2013, 02:45:41 PM »

Yeah, we could still have The Beach Boys. Now we have a band who play low common demon and Brian Wilson & Friends . It makes me v sad, tbh - one of my favourite bands could still be a functioning entity. If only they weren't so dysfunctional.

The way it boils down to me is that after the reunion collapsed (and I'm not discussing why that collapsed), Brian, Al and David are interested in recording, they are interested in making new music together. They're interested in playing gigs together! Brian has always been like that, but now Al and David are interested in joining in. This to me is strong, and good. This is how artists work. .

Mike is happy to carry on as if nothing had ever happened. Sure, OK, if he had a good reason. Expense isn't, really. C50 made money, and could have continued to make money if they toured the UK, Madison Sq Garden, and beyond. And Al & David aren't intimidated by Brian's people. Why is Mike?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2013, 02:55:37 PM »

He make hints, but he really should just come out and say it: is it Joe Thomas specifically being involved that he's talking about? Does he not want mullets in the famous ROOM? The whole corporate touring arrangement with Thomas having his greasy fingers in the pie?

He should just say so and it would make a lot more sense and prolly pick up some Brianistas Against Autotune support. Then say "Cousin Brian" a million times.

I have a sudden horrible premonition: Fall 2014. Ashen-faced errand boy Joe Thomas confronts Al Jardine -- his services are no longer required due to too many distracting guitar strap malfunctions. Also, an audioanimatronic Al provided by the Mouse provides a "more than lifelike" simulation for their Disney Hall "Brian Wilson Plays the Music of Jeff Beck" show...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 03:07:28 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »

Mike is happy to carry on as if nothing had ever happened. Sure, OK, if he had a good reason. Expense isn't, really. C50 made money, and could have continued to make money if they toured the UK, Madison Sq Garden, and beyond. And Al & David aren't intimidated by Brian's people. Why is Mike?

A good reason? As these guys are human beings, isn`t it enough if one of them doesn`t want to do something? Surely they shouldn`t feel compelled to live their lives according to how some fans want...

Al and David`s situation is completely different as they don`t really have their own careers. They are essentially employees in this whole thing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2013, 07:45:09 PM »

Al has said they're planning a fall tour if the summer dates work out.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2013, 07:48:54 PM »

With little trouble if you aren't Mike or in Mike's band or hadn't already made other arrangements based on previous agreements or aren't any of the parties affected by those arrangements.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Nicko1234
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2013, 07:58:38 PM »

Al has said they're planning a fall tour if the summer dates work out.

Which will again be on a small scale compared to what Mike would want to do.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2013, 08:08:37 PM »

Is it, tho? He seems pretty small scale this year as opposed to the C50 performance/media schedule. Certainly doesn't seem to be bringing the music to more people and more cities than that...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:10:00 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2013, 08:36:46 PM »

With little trouble if you aren't Mike or in Mike's band or hadn't already made other arrangements based on previous agreements or aren't any of the parties affected by those arrangements.

Dates get cancelled and rescheduled all the time, by all kinds of artists, big and small. Musicians get let go from bands all the time, too. Mike's had lots of experience handing out pink slips, so it wouldn't have been that hard for him. Perhaps the happy memories of both dismissing an original Beach Boy (Al) and the band's longest-serving sideman (Kowalski) would have fortified him in the difficult task.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2013, 08:41:36 PM »

Dear Brother Ontor,
Don't you know that when the Professor speaks in the plural that it's only the "royal we"? Cheesy

quote author=ontor pertawst link=topic=15963.msg384369#msg384369 date=1374167231]
Well, all that matters is what happens next. . . . .I care about nothing accept the BB being together for an album and shows. . . .everything else is just consolation. . . .BW solo albums, various shows--all wonderful but not what fulfills our deepest dreams and needs.

I don't recall appointing you spokesman of my deepest dreams and needs, but then again I do some weird stuff late at night. I wish I had the confidence to be able to speak for vast swathes of people instead of just myself... then again, I'd probably end up using that power for evil and invading Poland.

I'm really glad BDW is on a creative roll and can't freakin' wait till the Greek Theatre gig, which sounds like it'll be even more interesting than the imminent run of shows.

I'm sure the smell of money and more bigtime venues after a few years of SeaWorld and RV rallies will bring Mike back to the negotiating table, but this amazing band with David cranking out twangy notes and Al singing a few more songs than last year, with the diabolical Doctor von Mertens doing the setlist instead of Mike Love -- helluva consolation prize.

Also, SETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATE
SETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATE
SETENDDATESETENDDATE.
[/quote]
Nicko1234
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2013, 10:01:23 PM »

Is it, tho? He seems pretty small scale this year as opposed to the C50 performance/media schedule. Certainly doesn't seem to be bringing the music to more people and more cities than that...

Seriously?

100 shows this year as he and Bruce do every year.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx