gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:44:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BAD press, interviews, etc.  (Read 28711 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2014, 06:11:54 AM »

Well the tour itself was fantastic musically so it sounds to me like Jeff just has some sour grapes about his (lack of) personal relationship with Brian. On the other hand, I seem to recall a number of photos of Jeff, Al and David hanging out together on tour, in addition to quite a bit of camaraderie amongst the two bands so I don't think the entire enterprise was as horrible as he makes it out to be.

72 years old and Brian is quiet, reserved and a bit off on tour. Is this shocking to anyone? It's not like Jeff wouldn't know this going into it. I also seem to remember a number a few occasions where Brian said that he felt intimidated by who Jeff is and what he's accomplished. I'm sure that played into it to an extent. Quite frankly, what's more shocking to me is why Jeff feels the need at nearly 70 to publicly comment on the mental health of someone who has suffered very public mental health problems for the entirety of his adult life. I don't mean that to imply that Brian should be excused for anything, I just don't see the point in publicly commenting on it.

Also, what would you have them do during the tour? Publicly comment that Jeff and Brian aren't getting along while trying to sell tickets?

Yeah, it`s all Jeff Beck`s fault...

The tour happened...It was a business venture, not a buddy trip.

I'm wondering if some musicians view collaborations and tours as more than business ventures. Maybe they value the artist to artist, musician to musician, person to person relationship. And, it appears that Jeff Beck isn't interested in getting recognized on album liner note "thank you's" or getting a Christmas card from Brian Wilson, which most people who come in contact with Brian Wilson are.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2014, 07:17:17 AM »

The tour happened. It was critically well received. It was a business venture, not a buddy trip. By now, everyone should know that Brian has issues and doesn't tour well. Jeff Beck was disappointed in some aspect of the whole thing…. still not sure what his expectations were. At this stage, though,  it's kind of a non-issue, isn't it?

I’m kinda thinking along these same lines.

I don’t see this is a huge shock. I don’t think the whole thing was a huge mess and a miserable tour the way some here seem to feel. One of my friends is a huge Jeff Beck fan, so I had a sense of the guy before he began working with Brian. It was a weird pairing, and not just musically. In fact, musically it could (and hopefully still will) be pretty mindblowing. But Beck is a temperamental, eccentric guy himself. He’s pretty cranky and has a pretty healthy chip on his shoulder. Check out his R&R Hall of Fame induction via the Yardbirds. Weren’t a few elements of “Spinal Tap” based on Beck? He’s an odd duck a bit himself.

He seems to be a relative straight-shooter. I doubt he feels the entire tour was a disaster. He just experienced the interpersonal weirdness that many around Brian do (as we could have guessed), and also wasn’t used to the pre-show VIP package thing. I could have told everyone here (and Beck himself) what he was getting into, and that Beck’s own typical touring schedule and touring pattern (and pattern working on projects; anyone remember he recorded an entire “Guitar Concerto” with Paul McCartney a few years ago that never got released?) would dictate he wasn’t probably going to do another tour with Brian, even without the weirdness.

He’s probably used to working with other rock stars with huge egos, but he probably hasn’t worked with someone quite like Brian and Brian’s situation before. Frankly, it’s refreshing to get a relative “outsider’s” view of Brian and his condition. Even people like Mike Love (or, in the past, Al Jardine) who have spent some time estranged from Brian, can’t be particularly objective or an outsider. Between their own biases and agendas, and having been conditioned to Brian’s situation to varying degrees over the years, even they won’t find some stuff as “weird” as outsiders do. Howie Edelson mentioned in a post awhile back that, when he talks to Al about Brian, Al never talks about Brian as if Brian is damaged, etc. He will talk about it if prompted, but his mindset about Brian doesn’t start there.

We’re talking about a guy who has weirded out the likes of Iggy and Ozzy Osbourne, and has “out-eccentricized” (yes, not a real word) people like Bono and Elvis Costello. Frankly, if Beck came out of the tour saying Brian was fine and that there was no awkwardness, that would be strange. Beck talked about the awkward nature of working with Brian in the studio, prior to touring, if I’m recalling correctly.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:19:03 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2014, 08:58:57 AM »

This was all so obvious. . . .The Professor said as much a thousand times. .

I could not sit through a single song on youtube from this Wilson Beck thing, which was incoherent in every respect. . .

what now? Call Mike, Brian!

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2014, 09:02:37 AM »

I could not sit through a single song on youtube from this Wilson Beck thing, which was incoherent in every respect. . .
I don't know about the prof here, but I enjoyed much of the BW/Beck tour footage I saw on YouTube..
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2014, 09:12:58 AM »

Exactly. The music is the thing, and the Beck/Wilson performance I saw at the EJ Thomas hall was transcendent. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, and you'll enjoy the music (which is what the damn thing is all about anyway)

Seriously Professor, the troll act is getting really tiring.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2014, 09:26:10 AM »

Gentlemen,I respect your opinions, and if you enjoyed the shows and found them "transcendent," then I respect that. I just disagree and found the arrangements and the entire concept "incoherent."  Let's continue to share our analysis with respect. I never try to change anyone's mind.

I do not like the marginalizing troll accusation; we are all part of this, engaging in critical thought and analysis of the BB professionally and artistically; let that be what it is without ad hominem attacks, please.

Thanks in advance, in that I have faith in the general good faith of my colleagues here,

The Professor

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2014, 10:38:51 AM »

Even if the BW-Beck pairing didn't work 100%, it was still BW trying something new and different. The same cannot be said of Mike Love's worn-out nostalgia act.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2014, 11:15:41 AM »

This was all so obvious. . . .The Professor said as much a thousand times. .

what now? Call Mike, Brian!

How was it "incoherent"?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2014, 01:06:50 PM »

I am suprised Mike didn't try to one up BW/Beck by touring with Jesse and the Rippers.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2014, 01:13:33 PM »

My 2 cents;  I saw the tour and it was surprisingly good overall and a treat if you went with no preconceived notions of what it might or should be.  Just simply some great music was put forth.  That said, it was an odd show that left me wondering what they had in mind as the original concept.   I t was like they just worked it out as they went along.   I think, given time and rehearsal, and a better thought out setlist, this could have gone down as an amazing tour, one for the books.  Rather, it became a sort of odd chapter and footnote in the historyof both bands.    
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2014, 05:00:16 PM »

Gotta admit I'm surprised that nobody besides Billy or I has really responded to the article that Bubbly Waves posted. I mean, it basically has Jeff Beck confirming that the tour with Brian was really shitty and that him and Brian basically had ZERO rapport, despite what Brian's team were trying to make it sound like.

Quite frankly, what's more shocking to me is why Jeff feels the need at nearly 70 to publicly comment on the mental health of someone who has suffered very public mental health problems for the entirety of his adult life. I don't mean that to imply that Brian should be excused for anything, I just don't see the point in publicly commenting on it.

Agreed completely. Especially since the interview is being published before the "joint" album they worked on together has even been released. I can appreciate Beck being disappointed in his experience, and that he's probably just being honest, but I suppose it just seems a bit odd and/or tasteless to be talking about it during the still-current making of their record "together" (even if that "together" part will now be downplayed certainly).

One wonders if Beck will become excommunicated from the album nearly entirely by the wifeandmanagers after giving an interview like this. Or at least mostly.  I kinda sorta wouldn't be surprised.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 05:04:35 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2014, 05:15:03 PM »

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I think Jeff is already finished working on Brian's album.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2014, 05:38:38 PM »

Gotta admit I'm surprised that nobody besides Billy or I has really responded to the article that Bubbly Waves posted. I mean, it basically has Jeff Beck confirming that the tour with Brian was really shitty and that him and Brian basically had ZERO rapport, despite what Brian's team were trying to make it sound like.

Quite frankly, what's more shocking to me is why Jeff feels the need at nearly 70 to publicly comment on the mental health of someone who has suffered very public mental health problems for the entirety of his adult life. I don't mean that to imply that Brian should be excused for anything, I just don't see the point in publicly commenting on it.

Agreed completely. Especially since the interview is being published before the "joint" album they worked on together has even been released. I can appreciate Beck being disappointed in his experience, and that he's probably just being honest, but I suppose it just seems a bit odd and/or tasteless to be talking about it during the still-current making of their record "together" (even if that "together" part will now be downplayed certainly).

One wonders if Beck will become excommunicated from the album nearly entirely by the wifeandmanagers after giving an interview like this. Or at least mostly.  I kinda sorta wouldn't be surprised.

I hope Beck's comments don't result in Brian scrapping the new album... Wink
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2014, 05:43:52 PM »

There is no Beck/Wilson collaboration album. If there was any plan for it, it was scrapped long ago. The Rolling Stone writer is the main person who pumped the idea that "Brian has enough material for three albums," and going on about what different directions that could take. That didn't come from Brian or his people. It doesn't give any confidence that Jason Fine, the writer, is going to do a good, objective job of the biography he's writing with Brian, but, whatevs. I think Beck was under the impression it was going to be a whole album, but I'm not sure Brian ever had it in his own mind to do it that way. For one thing, he and Jeff Beck are simply not musically compatible, at all. Which is why people gave mixed reviews to their tour together. If a person likes both styles, they probably had great fun at those concerts. If not, I'm sure it wasn't fun for people who were mainly fans of one guy or the other to sit through both sets. I'm sure both men and their bands gave it their all onstage and presented the best show they could. My understanding is that Brian went on first, so people who weren't into Beck were free to leave when he started doing his thing.

I don't think what Jeff Beck said was that terrible. He's an older guy who maybe doesn't have the progressive, modern view of mental illness. The fact that it's not something people have control over, but they can still have fun and should be allowed to do their thing, even if they have aspects that make people uncomfortable if they're not prepared to see that. That's Jeff Beck's hang-up, not Brian's, but maybe Jeff wants people to know that Brian's condition isn't as rosy as sometimes painted. He still struggles.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 06, 2014, 06:45:17 PM »

There is no Beck/Wilson collaboration album. If there was any plan for it, it was scrapped long ago. The Rolling Stone writer is the main person who pumped the idea that "Brian has enough material for three albums," and going on about what different directions that could take. That didn't come from Brian or his people. It doesn't give any confidence that Jason Fine, the writer, is going to do a good, objective job of the biography he's writing with Brian, but, whatevs. I think Beck was under the impression it was going to be a whole album, but I'm not sure Brian ever had it in his own mind to do it that way. For one thing, he and Jeff Beck are simply not musically compatible, at all. Which is why people gave mixed reviews to their tour together. If a person likes both styles, they probably had great fun at those concerts. If not, I'm sure it wasn't fun for people who were mainly fans of one guy or the other to sit through both sets. I'm sure both men and their bands gave it their all onstage and presented the best show they could. My understanding is that Brian went on first, so people who weren't into Beck were free to leave when he started doing his thing.

I don't think what Jeff Beck said was that terrible. He's an older guy who maybe doesn't have the progressive, modern view of mental illness. The fact that it's not something people have control over, but they can still have fun and should be allowed to do their thing, even if they have aspects that make people uncomfortable if they're not prepared to see that. That's Jeff Beck's hang-up, not Brian's, but maybe Jeff wants people to know that Brian's condition isn't as rosy as sometimes painted. He still struggles.

The only thing I'm saying is that, IMO I think there's a good chance that Brian and the wifeandmanagers are going to be less likely (especially after this interview) to play "up" the Beck portions of/contributions to the final album, whatever those contributions were/are/may be. I think that's a given at this point.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:46:22 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2014, 10:25:53 PM »

I still remember that there was talk that Paul Simon wasn't happy with something about either Brian or his entourage, or both, when those two guys toured together many years ago. So, it's not that surprising that Beck is complaining.  You'd think Brian's people would have learned from that previous experience.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2014, 01:02:16 AM »

Reading between various lines and drawing assorted conclusions, I for one will be extremely surprised if Jeff Beck shows up on the new album. He said the tracks aren't finished and from comments he's made this year, I doubt he's busting a gut to work with Brian again any time soon.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2014, 03:48:33 AM »

I think that jeff's point is that he was available and little got made. Now he's moved on.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2014, 11:56:01 AM »

I still remember that there was talk that Paul Simon wasn't happy with something about either Brian or his entourage, or both, when those two guys toured together many years ago. So, it's not that surprising that Beck is complaining.  You'd think Brian's people would have learned from that previous experience.

IIRC, it was the other way around that time (BW's people have issues with PS). And given Paul's legendary dickishness, is that really a surprise?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2014, 11:58:16 AM »

And as for Beck's comments, I think they are what they are. Maybe not super classy, but more true than not. I've heard firsthand tales about Brian on tour from years earlier that paint a similar picture. Clearly, there are times he checks out mentally while on the road.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2014, 02:58:34 PM »

IIRC, it was the other way around that time (BW's people have issues with PS). And given Paul's legendary dickishness, is that really a surprise?

Given that Paul was/is a bigger star than Brian in terms of touring and sizes of venues, and that Paul invited Brian as a favor to help him build his newish (at the time) solo career, complaints they had about Paul seem kind of peevish. They were the opening act, not a co-headliner on that tour, so they didn't have much say in the matter. Which still proves something about Brian and his people in terms of working with an act with a large ego and fan following. Sometimes two star egos are too much for one room in a touring situation. Which maybe should have given Brian's people pause before teaming up with Beck on a tour. 

Beck has always been a lone wolf and he's also not afraid to tell it like it is the press. He complained a lot about Rod Stewart when they tried to work together again, too.  Yet Rod never said anything unkind about Jeff, in spite of whatever transpired.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2014, 04:27:04 PM »

Jeff always needed vocal support.   Might have been best for him to find a "permanent " Rod Stewart like Jimmy P age did.
Then he wouldn't find himself in situations like he was with the Beck/Wilson tour.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2014, 04:41:54 PM »

Jeff calling his time with Brian a "nightmare" is very harsh, personally don't care if he's on the new album.

Also, the word is Jeff isn't actually the nicest guy himself, he's apparently a very jealous person.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 04:43:00 PM by Aren't You Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2014, 05:50:45 PM »

They were the opening act, not a co-headliner on that tour, so they didn't have much say in the matter.

Not precisely true. IIRC, it was a co-billed tour, and their pictures were the same size on promo materials. Brian did play first, and his set was a bit shorter, but it was definitely meant to be perceived as a dual act.

However, your general point is well stated. I don't see how you tour two acts together without tension when one of those acts is BW.

Edit: Given that the only poster Image I could find online is this, it looks like you're right after all.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 05:54:37 PM by Wirestone » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2014, 06:46:57 PM »

Jeff Beck has gone on record many times throughout the years that he does not like to work with vocalists. This was an odd match from the start. He has also stated that he can be a bit difficult himself and he 'doesn't suffer fools'. I'd imagine that it went over about as well as Brian working with Bill Champlin did in 1986.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx