gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 01:10:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: is there going to be much left in the vault after MIC?  (Read 11029 times)
Jason
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2013, 06:58:24 AM »

I don't really know how much in the way of studio stuff from the 60s exists that could be considered releaseable, to be honest.

The Beginning of the End and Visions are doubtful, despite them being among the earliest Beach Boys recordings.
Thank Him is great, but I don't know if the band is going to release a recording sourced from an acetate, especially one in a shape like that.
Let's Live Before We Die is incomplete and rambling, so I have my doubts.
Sandy is missing a lead vocal, despite having a good track and backing vocals. I think the lack of a lead might hurt its chances.
I could possibly see some Party outtakes, like Satisfaction or Blowin' in the Wind, showing up. I don't know who would rush to hear Bruce ham it up singing The Diary, though.
There's an instrumental from around time of the sessions for The Little Girl I Once Knew, but I doubt that's happening.
There are the other remakes from the Heider sessions, so maybe we'd get another of those. Don't count on the Michael rant on Heroes and Villains coming out.
My Little Red Book is a possibility.
New Song is doubtful.

There are a few instrumental tracks that never received vocals, like Tune #L and Our Happy Home, so I don't know if those would be considered candidates.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2013, 07:05:11 AM »

I don't really know how much in the way of studio stuff from the 60s exists that could be considered releaseable, to be honest.

The Beginning of the End and Visions are doubtful, despite them being among the earliest Beach Boys recordings.
Thank Him is great, but I don't know if the band is going to release a recording sourced from an acetate, especially one in a shape like that.
Let's Live Before We Die is incomplete and rambling, so I have my doubts.
Sandy is missing a lead vocal, despite having a good track and backing vocals. I think the lack of a lead might hurt its chances.
I could possibly see some Party outtakes, like Satisfaction or Blowin' in the Wind, showing up. I don't know who would rush to hear Bruce ham it up singing The Diary, though.
There's an instrumental from around time of the sessions for The Little Girl I Once Knew, but I doubt that's happening.
There are the other remakes from the Heider sessions, so maybe we'd get another of those. Don't count on the Michael rant on Heroes and Villains coming out.
My Little Red Book is a possibility.
New Song is doubtful.

There are a few instrumental tracks that never received vocals, like Tune #L and Our Happy Home, so I don't know if those would be considered candidates.

Wasn't a much better copy of Thank Him unearthed a few years back? I think I remember reading something along those lines...

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2013, 07:51:23 AM »

With all due respect to AGD's venerable site, it's based on the best known information at present. A few of the tracks appearing on MiC weren't listed at Bellagio; who knew, for instance, that Brian had a stab or five at Surf's Up during the Wild Honey era?

For all we know there could be a stack of stuff awaiting discovery as Mark and Boyd work their through the archive shelves.

For example, John Hillarby's discovered some new John Martyn material in recent times simply by playing the other side o the reel-to-reel tapes in that archive.  some of that's coming out on the 18-disc box coming out late summer.  Just shows, any thing's possible…

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko1234
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2013, 07:59:15 AM »

With all due respect to AGD's venerable site, it's based on the best known information at present. A few of the tracks appearing on MiC weren't listed at Bellagio; who knew, for instance, that Brian had a stab or five at Surf's Up during the Wild Honey era?

For all we know there could be a stack of stuff awaiting discovery as Mark and Boyd work their through the archive shelves.

We also don`t know what perfectly good stuff may have been found which wasn`t included on MiC for whatever reason.

Obviously people have expressed surprised at the amount of unbooted songs on the box set but I think it`s just as surprising how many booted unreleased songs have no been included (eg. Big Sur). There doesn`t seem to be too much rhyme or reason to some inclusions/omissions on the band`s released at times.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2013, 08:13:16 AM »

Every scrap and gamey morsel will be put out once the kids are in charge. Again and again and again and again.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2013, 10:54:19 AM »

The band deserves a live box set. Especially the 1971-1974 years, both audio and video.

For example:
- Central Park 1971
- Carnegie Hall 1972, both shows (http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=7795.20, already four years ago...)
- Any professionally recorded show from 1973 used for the In Concert album
- Nassau 1974
+ TV performances, specials, interviews etc.

We need live versions of: Forever, Lady, Vegetables, It's About Time, Okie from Muskogee, Mess of Help, Here She Comes, Hold On Dear Brother, Cuddle Up, All This Is That, Big Sur, I've Got A Friend, Barbara, River Song, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Wild Honey etc.

Keep on dreaming? Smiley

Wild Honey live is coming out, but you missed the obvious Surf's Up and Cool Cool Water live  Wink

Ah yes, you're right! Smiley

ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2013, 11:34:04 AM »

Big Sur 4/4 is going to remain in the vaults. What a travesty. What an oversight. What a glaring omission.

And the finished BB versions of Holidays, Look, CIFOTM and DYLW. Overdub the missing vocals onto that while you're still alive, will ya, please, boys? It's not so hard to do.

I totally agree. Hire a quality hypnotist, get Brian and Van, a piano, a tape recorder and Al Jardine on stand by at Ocean Way. Derren Brown would be my choice of hypnotist. Al could overdub the Durrie Parks heroes acetate while we're at it and Mark could be on hand to re-edit H&V part 1 and 2.
That was easy. Let me make some phone calls.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2013, 11:35:47 AM »

I'm pretty sure that Alan Boyd and Aeijtzche and whoever else have already went through the vault and catalogued everything that they could find. That's basically how The SMiLE Sessions were so exhaustive and how we probably got a bunch of these previously unknown titles coming on MIC. So I wouldn't suspect that they'd find much more in their vault that they already don't know about, although there still may be other stuff in other places that they still haven't tracked down.

And we also gotta keep in mind, that these bands and their labels always wanna keep something for a rainy day, so I wouldn't doubt that there are probably still a few things in The Beach Boys archive that would make our jaws drop.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2013, 11:36:27 AM »

Castaways had a hit with 'Liar Liar'...

Lies was The Knickerbockers Wink

Carry on.

Shocked OOpsy -  thanks for the correction. I must have been thinking about "Lies" as I wanted to reference a
"one hit wonder". he he.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:38:48 AM by leggo of my ego » Logged

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2013, 11:52:34 AM »

Every scrap and gamey morsel will be put out once the kids are in charge. Again and again and again and again.
Yes. I agree.

I want something like what Elvis has - the FTD label - for all us hardcore Beach Boy fans.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2013, 12:09:56 PM »

My dream is that one day Capitol would consider releasing the entire BB catalog in such a way that you would have all the tracks for each song, thus allowing you to isolate / study all individual parts  / create your own mix, etc.

It could actually be a possibility for music companies in the future to have massive archival releases such as this in the future for all the bands of the 50's-80's which was without doubt the most dynamic period for modern music. Just because the last of the Beatles, Rolling Stones or Beach Boys are gone doesn't mean that their companies don't want to continue making money from their music. Digital download could one day mean that you enter their webpage and then you are free to purchase any vocal take or demo they make available.

I think that selling isolated multitracks is actually a potentially interesting revenue source for record companies.  I mean, I think the Beach Boys should do it because I'm selfish and just want it, but when a vault is truly tapped out in terms of mixed things, why not find other ways to resell the same music to people?

The main con to this is that there would be a lot of unofficial mixes floating around, which artists might not like.

But, I think enough audio enthusiasts/budding engineers would be interested in that sort of thing.  I think that they should cost a lot.  File sharing could be a problem.

But let's say I wanted to buy the 16-track master for "This Whole World."  I think it should cost maybe 100 bucks or something.  We'd be getting very valuable stuff, so it should be worth something, and that makes it worth it to the record company.  It would probably be a pretty low-labor intensive job on their end.  An engineer simply transfers the tape to digital, puts the tracks in a file, passes it on to the record company, who then upload it.

It would make sense to start with Pet Sounds. 
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2013, 01:59:30 PM »

My dream is that one day Capitol would consider releasing the entire BB catalog in such a way that you would have all the tracks for each song, thus allowing you to isolate / study all individual parts  / create your own mix, etc.

It could actually be a possibility for music companies in the future to have massive archival releases such as this in the future for all the bands of the 50's-80's which was without doubt the most dynamic period for modern music. Just because the last of the Beatles, Rolling Stones or Beach Boys are gone doesn't mean that their companies don't want to continue making money from their music. Digital download could one day mean that you enter their webpage and then you are free to purchase any vocal take or demo they make available.

I think that selling isolated multitracks is actually a potentially interesting revenue source for record companies.  I mean, I think the Beach Boys should do it because I'm selfish and just want it, but when a vault is truly tapped out in terms of mixed things, why not find other ways to resell the same music to people?

The main con to this is that there would be a lot of unofficial mixes floating around, which artists might not like.

But, I think enough audio enthusiasts/budding engineers would be interested in that sort of thing.  I think that they should cost a lot.  File sharing could be a problem.

But let's say I wanted to buy the 16-track master for "This Whole World."  I think it should cost maybe 100 bucks or something.  We'd be getting very valuable stuff, so it should be worth something, and that makes it worth it to the record company.  It would probably be a pretty low-labor intensive job on their end.  An engineer simply transfers the tape to digital, puts the tracks in a file, passes it on to the record company, who then upload it.

It would make sense to start with Pet Sounds. 

I must admit I would love this as well ...

but I do feel somewhat strange when I think that Carl and Desper (and probably others) would likely not want these kinds of things to come out. I'm secretly happy that we can never have a legit stereo remix of 'Good Vibes' because there is something so eternal about that final mono mix.

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2013, 02:09:04 PM »

Hey, they hinted at it themselves in the Pet Sounds sessions! I suppose a workaround could be a "locked-in" device/player like a computer program or even a little mixer or something (or a video game), but there wouldn't be a way to stop sharing and fan mixing... then again that hasn't stopped them from happening even now. The Rock Band stems are basically the same deal and I haven't heard any complaints.

Watch out for snakes!
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2013, 02:29:12 PM »

I believe that we will eventually see a Brian Wilson career retrospective box (perhaps for his 75th birthday?) that will address Brian's solo career, outside productions, and a number of the things mentioned here that weren't true Beach Boys group recordings -- "Gonna Hustle You," Thank Him," "Rabbit's Foot," the early Usher session, etc. along with additional songwriting demos.  Maybe then we'll get to hear the rest of Bob Norberg's demos...

Lee
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2013, 02:30:17 PM »

The band deserves a live box set. Especially the 1971-1974 years, both audio and video.

For example:
- Central Park 1971
- Carnegie Hall 1972, both shows (http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=7795.20, already four years ago...)
- Any professionally recorded show from 1973 used for the In Concert album
- Nassau 1974
+ TV performances, specials, interviews etc.

We need live versions of: Forever, Lady, Vegetables, It's About Time, Okie from Muskogee, Mess of Help, Here She Comes, Hold On Dear Brother, Cuddle Up, All This Is That, Big Sur, I've Got A Friend, Barbara, River Song, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Wild Honey etc.

Keep on dreaming? Smiley

Wild Honey live is coming out,

As is It's About Time. From a 1972 show.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2013, 02:52:05 PM »

I believe that we will eventually see a Brian Wilson career retrospective box (perhaps for his 75th birthday?) that will address Brian's solo career, outside productions, and a number of the things mentioned here that weren't true Beach Boys group recordings -- "Gonna Hustle You," Thank Him," "Rabbit's Foot," the early Usher session, etc. along with additional songwriting demos.  Maybe then we'll get to hear the rest of Bob Norberg's demos...

Lee

hopefully some Cocain/Hamburger sessions on that box too  angel
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2013, 03:45:23 PM »

I like the idea of the multi tracks, but could you pick and choose which  or would you have to buy them all? Suppose I just want the drums guitar and bass so I can mix in me on the keyboards then add Al, Carl and Bruce's backing vox so I can sing lead and Mike's bass parts? Can I get them for half price?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2013, 03:49:55 PM »

Or you could buy the Limited Edition ASDA exclusive 'Vocal Session' set which involves the 5 surviving Beach Boys/BW's band coming round your house and playing each song as many times as is necessary.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Ted
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2013, 03:58:53 PM »

But let's say I wanted to buy the 16-track master for "This Whole World."  I think it should cost maybe 100 bucks or something.

That's one way of encouraging piracy, yeah.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2013, 04:29:32 PM »

There will be plenty left, but can't see another physical release like this one happening. Surprise me, BRIMEL.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Nicko1234
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2013, 07:07:48 PM »

But let's say I wanted to buy the 16-track master for "This Whole World."  I think it should cost maybe 100 bucks or something.

That's one way of encouraging piracy, yeah.

Indeed.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2013, 07:42:42 PM »

There will be plenty left, but can't see another physical release like this one happening. Surprise me, BRIMEL.

BriMel has nothing to do with BRI, which would have to clear Beach Boys releases.
Nicko1234
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2013, 08:01:20 PM »

Lee

That actually makes a lot of sense. There have been so many unreleased projects that they could stick out loads of rarities.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2013, 09:17:46 PM »

I'd love to have a special Sunflower Sessions release with all the tracks recorded or demoed during that period including the earlier version of Add Some Music with Mike, Al and Bruce singing each verse, Big Sur 4/4, as many A Cappella mixes as they can squeeze on there and the icing on the cake would be Desper's mix of the album that he thought the label should have released in the first place using that spatialization technology he demoed on his Cool Cool Water study video.  Then we could have updated remasters (or even remixes) of things on the old GV box like San Miguel, I Just Got My Pay, Games Two Can Play, and anything else from that 1969-70 era that was overlooked or passed on for MIC.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2013, 10:34:12 PM »

I'd love to have a special Sunflower Sessions release with all the tracks recorded or demoed during that period including the earlier version of Add Some Music with Mike, Al and Bruce singing each verse, Big Sur 4/4, as many A Cappella mixes as they can squeeze on there and the icing on the cake would be Desper's mix of the album that he thought the label should have released in the first place using that spatialization technology he demoed on his Cool Cool Water study video.  Then we could have updated remasters (or even remixes) of things on the old GV box like San Miguel, I Just Got My Pay, Games Two Can Play, and anything else from that 1969-70 era that was overlooked or passed on for MIC.

Aye, it has been mooted here on many an occasion that if there's one BBs album ripe for a delux edition it's Sunflower. So many outtakes and alt mixes and alt versions etc…

Might still happen!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 10:35:18 PM by John Manning » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx