gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 03:21:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SEAN LENNON & THE BEACH BOYS' AL JARDINE REMAKE 'GIVE PEACE A CHANCE' FOR BONO  (Read 14131 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2013, 04:01:33 PM »

WHY ARE WE YELLING?

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2013, 01:15:02 AM »

Just going to quietly alter my earlier post, after a few suggestions and comments from other posters....

Can I just take this opportunity to say that Bono is a pretentious little tax-dodging midget arsehole, who writes crap songs. Thanks.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2013, 01:38:46 AM »

Brian knew how to deal with Bono  LOL

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2013, 02:23:28 AM »

Brian knew how to deal with Bono  LOL

How so? Please tell me it involved Bono humiliation!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2013, 02:29:32 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8030.msg131760.html#msg131760

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2013, 02:31:57 AM »

That was great. Hope Brian secretly knew who it was. I mean, when did you last see a waiter wearing sunglasses indoors...?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2013, 03:34:19 AM »

Love Al's Hammer remake. Here's to a full-on folkie album from Al!

All the guys are such prisoners of their musical legacy. More power to 'em when they break out of the shell and do what moves 'em.

An interesting thought!

Did Brian ever really "break out of the shell" during the past 30 years? I wish he did! The Gershwin record (despite the somewhat unimaginative backing tracks) may be pretty close and judging from his vocal performance on that album it was something that got him at least very interested, which I suspect is a rare thing to happen.

I was going to suggest the Gershwin album as an example (although I do have a guilty pleasure for the 4/4 shuffle beat numbers, like They Can't Take That Away From Me). Perhaps Orange Crate Art could be another example.

Ain't Necessarily So has some dark Ira lyrics that are uncharacteristically Brian, which is why I found his rendition so refreshing.

Com'on Al. Call some young heavy cats down to Red Barn, such as Nickel Creek - you'll knock out an album in record time and it'll sell close to Postcard numbers.

Orange Crate Art - yes, I agree! Given Brian is usually considered the most "artistic" Beach Boy it's quite disappointing that much of his solo career had him trying to recapture either Summer Days or Pet Sounds. In a way that's why I enjoy most of Sweet Insanity despite the record's many flaws.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2013, 07:43:53 AM »

ONE presents Richard Barone & Al Jardine - If I Had A Hammer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-ON2O4UTUI

Dude this is incredible, Al's voice keeps on getting better every day! he leads to do more lead for sure, wow.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2013, 10:59:31 AM »

As long as Bono isn't vocally or musically evident on the recording, it will be a must have for everyone's collection. 
You don't like his voice, right, Mr. Mill? As for me, I think Bono sings fairly good, though he won't be even in my Top-100 vocalists' ranking.

I think Bono sings great... and U2 was a great band, it's just if you can hear Bono in a song, then you're reminded Bono had something to do with it, and he's incredibly annoying.  I'm not even sure it's possible to be more annoying than Bono is (I've tried).  Sean Lennon singing about wispy hippy stuff? I can handle it.  Al Jardine doing his best job on a John Lennon flower power song?  Sounds good.  Bono is just a little much, though...
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2013, 11:02:05 AM »

Very well done, sounds awesome.  Somebody explain to me.... what Bridge has Al been hiding under for the last 30 years?  He's so fucking great, but yet hasn't done anything in forver. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »

Sorry... needs more Brian.  I guess this stuff's harder to do than it seems.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2013, 11:07:54 AM »

Can I just take this opportunity to say that Bono is a little tax-dodging midget arsehole. Thanks.
Hey, I went through quite a U2 phase. In Bono's defence about the sunglasses, I'm pretty sure it's been said he has some sort of eye disorder that causes him to go just about blind for quite a while after being exposed to any bright light.

Yeah but that condition is caused by WEARING SUNGLASSES INDOORS
zachrwolfe
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2013, 11:19:31 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:01:51 PM by zatch » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »

I think the only way some of us can be satisfied is if he does a live tv broadcast where bright light is blasted directly into his eyes and a panel of experts opine about it. For charity, of course. For starving Belgians. They are very hungry this time of year.

Al can plaintively strum an acoustic guitar in the background.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:24:34 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2013, 10:34:16 PM »

Very well done, sounds awesome.  Somebody explain to me.... what Bridge has Al been hiding under for the last 30 years?  He's so fucking great, but yet hasn't done anything in forver. 

Count me in as one of those who'd like to see Al do an album of his fave folk stuff sometime. Heck, it would give him the perfect excuse to wear a striped shirt again.

But I wish the project shown above was connected to something besides Bono.

Jon Langford of the Mekons put it so well.  "A few times I've heard a new song on the radio and it started out sounding like it might be really good.  Then, suddenly, I get a sick feeling in my stomach, and a moment later, Bono starts singing."
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2013, 10:42:07 AM »

From my nationally syndicated feed...

SEAN LENNON & THE BEACH BOYS' AL JARDINE REMAKE 'GIVE PEACE A CHANCE' FOR BONO
by Howie Edelson

Sean Lennon has joined forces with Beach Boys co-founder Al Jardine to record a new, mainly A cappella rendition of John Lennon and Yoko Ono's global peace anthem, "Give Peace A Chance." The two gathered at Lennon's New York City apartment, along with Jardine's collaborator Larry Dvoskin, to cut the track, which will be among the many works, starting today (June 11th), that will be projected on the side of London's Tate Museum.

Sony Bono is still alive?!??   Evil

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2013, 10:21:11 AM »

After hearing all the versions suggested here + covers of Bobby Rydell & The Seekers, I made the conclusion that the best one is the subject (Al & Richard's tandem), close 2nd - by Peter Paul & Mary. I agree with Mr. Stebbins, it's a very cool rendition, Mary sang the song tremendously. Also agree with him that the Weavers' original is weak, too slow & uninspiring. Though the worst cover is obviously Pavone's, language-wise.
Now, I very enjoyed Andy Kane's reggae-stylized version, mostly because of the jazz orchestration. As for the vocs, sure, Kane isn't a good singer, yet he's got cool lisping accent. Generally, the video is good, I liked it for its positivity & friendliness, not to mention - for funny & awkward dancing/walking. Thanks to Nicko1234 for this YT wonder, now I know yet another name in show business, never heard before of that human.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2013, 09:44:20 PM »

OT but another little goodie from Al and friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynJuiPn5-Oc
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2013, 06:19:22 AM »

Is that Bono without the glasses?
Nicko1234
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2013, 06:30:17 AM »

Cute.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2013, 07:23:35 PM »

I noticed Al made sure his singing partner was seated, so as not to emphasize Al's height, or lack of....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »

This is the kid.

http://www.larsmuhl.com/uk/news/18_04_13.html

Guess by the website he is related to the Lars Muhl dude. Al sure has some interesting friends. Roll Eyes
Nicko1234
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2013, 09:14:34 PM »

Now, I very enjoyed Andy Kane's reggae-stylized version, mostly because of the jazz orchestration. As for the vocs, sure, Kane isn't a good singer, yet he's got cool lisping accent. Generally, the video is good, I liked it for its positivity & friendliness, not to mention - for funny & awkward dancing/walking. Thanks to Nicko1234 for this YT wonder, now I know yet another name in show business, never heard before of that human.

Sorry, I only just read this comment. Cracking stuff. LOL
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2013, 09:21:05 PM »

RangeRover is the best!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2013, 11:39:34 AM »

Nice collaboration. For an 8-year-old boy, Al's friend sings rarely in tune. Al himself was ace, as always.
One non-musical thing I noticed which I already knew before: Al has the sweetest smile I've seen in people! Very youthful & joyful! Especially at around the 7th sec., it can't be cuter than that. It's really hard not to love Al.

Generally, I'm happy that he tries sth. new other than just performs the BBs/solo songs.

Regarding Andy Cane comment, I actually was very serious about liking his version of If I Had A Hammer. Didn't think one bit of joking/being ironic.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx