gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:40:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: We Got Love  (Read 3429 times)
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2013, 07:49:25 AM »

Consensus on this song? Definitely single material and I can't believe it was removed from the album. It's excellent.

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 07:54:56 AM »

I love it.  But I love all the material Chaplin & Fataar brought into the group.  Their tunes sound especially good live, as on "In Concert".  Most people here hate their contributions tho.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 07:59:47 AM »

My favourite era by The Beach Boys. Certainly as a live act.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 08:11:11 AM »

To my ears, the live version of WGL easily beats the studio recording. The arrangements are groovier (esp. guitars), the vocals - stronger. Also, on the studio take I wasn't fond of the piano being upfront. In the concert it's almost completely inaudible.

Count me in as another fan of Blondie & Ricky's stuff. My favorite is Hold On Dear Brother - slide solo is A-1 there!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 08:12:09 AM »

I enjoy the live version and agree with the message, but unless I hear a better mix of the studio version, it was a good move to remove it from Holland in favor of Sail On Sailor.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
MBE
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 08:13:21 AM »

Like everything they did (bar "Hold On Dear Brother"), the Flame LP very much included. "Hard Times" is an awesome track as is "See The Light". They deserve a 3 cd/4 LP set of their own.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 08:33:06 AM »

I would love to hear the second Flame album produced by Carl - Stephen Desper says it was great. 
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 08:35:58 AM »

I'm also a fan of their stuff.  Can you imagine how different things could have gone had they both stayed on?  15 Big Ones???
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »

I'm also a fan of their stuff.  Can you imagine how different things could have gone had they both stayed on?  15 Big Ones???
Makes one wonder. Though, for a band known for constantly recording, I found it odd that some of Blondie's & Ricky's complaints while they were Beach Boys were due to a lack of recording new material.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jurrasic Mark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 08:42:38 AM »

Love it. "In Concert" is one of my favorite albums.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 12:02:19 PM »

I'm also a fan of their stuff.  Can you imagine how different things could have gone had they both stayed on?  15 Big Ones???
Makes one wonder. Though, for a band known for constantly recording, I found it odd that some of Blondie's & Ricky's complaints while they were Beach Boys were due to a lack of recording new material.

Well think about it.  When Endless Summer hit, it had been more a year since the release of Holland and the Boys had to rerelease their then most recent single (featuring a lead vocal from a guy no longer in the band) to try and ride its wave (pun intended) because they didn't have anything new ready.  By the time their new single was ready, two more years had passed and their big delivery was a sub-par (for them) cover of an old 50's hit.  To make matters worse, people WANTED new Beach Boys bad enough to send it to the American Top Five!  Just imagine if they'd stuck while the iron was actually hot and put out something more substantial. 

In other words, there was clearly a lack of recording new material; at least in the immediate aftermath of Blondie and Ricky's departures.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 01:36:17 PM »

Fairly indifferent to it, but I'd like to state how annoying it is that it hasn't been released since the original early misprinted Holland copies. Come oown, guys.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Paulos
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 02:08:16 PM »

I really like this song both studio and live. I have never understood why it was removed from Holland so that Sail On Sailor could be added - why not just have both songs on the album?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 02:12:38 PM »

I really like this song both studio and live. I have never understood why it was removed from Holland so that Sail On Sailor could be added - why not just have both songs on the album?
Everything had to fit nicely on an 8-Track. Would most likely have caused too long a silence. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 12:56:29 PM »

Love it. "In Concert" is one of my favorite albums.

Yes on both accounts.  It's a great song, clearly my favorite of their contributions.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 12:58:43 PM »

I'd trade Steamboat for We Got Love any day.
JoelBarrish
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 01:24:18 PM »

Will we ever see a reissue of the Flame's stuff? I know Desper talked at one point of a set featuring the unreleased record produced by him and Carl? I don't even know if there would be any market for this or not at this point. I'd love to have something. I recently got given a copy of their self-titled LP and I really, really dig it. They fit in real well with early 70's power-pop ala Big Star and Badfinger. Big Star has done extremely well in the past 10 years compared to when they were first around based on word of mouth alone. Could The Flame not have a legacy in the same vein?
Jurrasic Mark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 02:27:19 PM »

Will we ever see a reissue of the Flame's stuff? I know Desper talked at one point of a set featuring the unreleased record produced by him and Carl? I don't even know if there would be any market for this or not at this point. I'd love to have something. I recently got given a copy of their self-titled LP and I really, really dig it. They fit in real well with early 70's power-pop ala Big Star and Badfinger. Big Star has done extremely well in the past 10 years compared to when they were first around based on word of mouth alone. Could The Flame not have a legacy in the same vein?

I agree the record does sound like badfinger. I picked up the cd on amazon about 3 years ago for a fiver.

Great album, was already familiar with Dont Worry Bill but enjoyed listening to the whole song.

They recorded a follow up? A must hear.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 02:19:45 AM »

blasphemy  Grin
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 03:07:17 AM »

I do like it, but it's easily the weakest of the tracks they contributed

Hold on Dear Brother is an AMAZING song.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 04:58:14 AM »

I don't hate their stuff, but it bores me, except of "Hard Times", which I like.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 09:13:39 AM »

This song needs to come out on CD.  How it was never released on the 1993 box, Endless Harmony comp, Hawthorne CA comp, Holland reissue, or Made in California box is beyond me.  We need this for completeness sake.  What's the deal?
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 06:03:20 PM »

blasphemy  Grin

I know, I know, but what can I do?  I just don't care for it.  Now, the weird thing is, my wife, who's more of a traditional-song Beach Boys fan, 42 years after marrying me, heard this in the car a while back when I had the Holland CD on, and when I said, "I really don't care for this one, it just drags", she said, ""well, I kind of like it, what is it?"  Threw me for a loop-de-loop flip flop etc., I'll say that for sure. Of course, I don't think she ever thought she'd hear me say I didn't care for a Beach Boys song, any Beach Boys song.  But there are a few. Known her for almost 47 glorious years.  What other surprises does she have in store for me?

Nicko1234
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 06:52:05 PM »

blasphemy  Grin

I know, I know, but what can I do?  I just don't care for it.  Now, the weird thing is, my wife, who's more of a traditional-song Beach Boys fan, 42 years after marrying me, heard this in the car a while back when I had the Holland CD on, and when I said, "I really don't care for this one, it just drags", she said, ""well, I kind of like it, what is it?"  Threw me for a loop-de-loop flip flop etc., I'll say that for sure. Of course, I don't think she ever thought she'd hear me say I didn't care for a Beach Boys song, any Beach Boys song.  But there are a few. Known her for almost 47 glorious years.  What other surprises does she have in store for me?

You may have missed the interview Brian gave a few years ago...

Q: Did Dennis deserve his reputation as a ladies man?
A: Well, he had intercourse with my wife, Mike's wife, Al's wife and NHC`s wife so yes.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you...
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 07:07:02 PM »

NHC's wife too?  Oh, Norm!  Say it ain't so!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx