gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 01:17:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian, Al, and David Tour 2013  (Read 38916 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 22, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »

Brian sounds so weird singing Mike's leads...I don't like it.

He's been doing it for 14 years.

And it's been weird for 14 years! LOL
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 22, 2013, 10:58:16 PM »

As an fyi, Dave sings Mike's classic part on GV - I'm pickin' up good vibrations... That was very cool and it sounded good. Sooner or later we'll have some video of that.

Thought I'd relate my own review of the Pittsburgh show.

Stage AE is a completely open seating venue, and while driving down to the show (circa 6:00pm) the skies literally opened up - waves of rain comin' down. It settled down a bit around 6:30 only to return to steady rain until 7:30. I was imaging 2 plus hours of sitting in a downpour...the things we do for Love! (I mean, WILSON)  Cheesy

Thankfully, God turned off the faucet and the show was dry. This prompted a comment by BW during the first set - "Sure glad it stopped raining...if it kept raining you guys wouldn't be able to see the stage!"

Cali Girls started off, and imo it took about 3 tunes for the vocal blend and the band to lock in. First thing I noticed was how this was NOT just another Brian solo show; Alan and Dave (along with Paul) made a most entertaining three man front that was clearly grooving to the sound and providing a great visual. Of course, this contrasted with Brian (as is his nature) being somewhat subdued for the first half of the 1st set. We've been down this road before, and it is what it is, but I'm not particularly miffed by Brian missing the odd line or intonation. What does sadden me is when entire lines drop off, or get entirely clipped off. This is where trading off leads is not only unexpected but necessary. Believe me when I say it, the stretch of Don't Worry Baby (Jeff) to Little Bird (Dave) was solid and built a momentum that was nothing short of a revelation (I saw some old timers totally dig it - there was none of the gimme nothin' but the hits dynamic going on at Stage AE Sunday night.

Great dialogue by Al and David. A few highlights - Al: "Anyone wanna hear a car song? (Little Deuce Coupe) Okay...I'll do my Mike Love impression right now". Dave told a story how he was invited by Brian to the studio for a tracking session of Don't Worry Baby (Beach Boys were on tour at the time). Even though he had left the band at that point, Brian had him do the 'chop' guitar part on the instrumental section prior to the last verse. After the session, Brian took Dave to a Jan and Dean session in town, where he witnessed the session for Surf City. Cool story - if anyone there remembers it differently, feel free to interject.

As has been mentioned in the PG review, the 2nd set was dedicated to the deep cuts. TWGMTR sounded good to my ears - the band carried it off well. Darian of course nailed Darlin' and Scott did a soulful rendition of Sail On Sailor. Again this is me - I felt it a little too slick, but I can't knock the dude's pipes. He owned it last night.

This is the dynamic I'm talking about though; this felt to me like a permeation of C50 as opposed to a standard Brian solo show, and I'm absolutely fine with that. God bless Brian, but his vocals have always been a highwire act to me; when he's into it and completely in the moment, the mothership lifts off and there's nothing like it. Last night was not one of his best vocal nights imo, but this too in time shall come. It took several shows of C50 until we saw it happen (circa NYC, Chicago and Pittsburgh onward), but it does happen. Why it seems to take so long is still a mystery.

Having seen him nail Gershwin in Toronto, he really locks in when he's doing fresh material (which bodes well for later at the Greek when he'll appear with Beck and share some new material live). When it comes to standards such as All Summer Long, I just think that this stubborn genius just doesn't have the fire for some of the old stuff. All said and done, even though he may be unengaged, he's still driving a Lamborghini of a band - and that trumps all.

By all means, check out these shows if you can - there's much to ponder and much to enjoy. With Al and David, this truly is a BAND, and the closest we'll get to our warm memories from the summer of 2012.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 23, 2013, 12:24:41 AM »

Thanks to all for sharing the great footage as well as the personal reviews. Alan looks great and it's a treat to see them perform a real gem like "Little Bird".

That said, Brian doesn't seem to be in a good place. How's it possible he forgot the name of David Marks at one of the shows? Was that an actual put-on? I absolutely hope so! Also, he didn't even bother to really sing on "All Summer Long"? This all seems a bit wrong even by usual latter-day BW standards, at least to me.
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 23, 2013, 01:14:23 AM »

Are you kiddin'? My daughter has lived with me all her life I've used her name more than any other apart from my Mother's and the times I look at her and go through half a dozen other family members names before I hit on hers is scary, it's called getting old!

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2013, 02:37:22 AM »

Brian sounds so weird singing Mike's leads...I don't like it.

He's been doing it for 14 years.

And it's been weird for 14 years! LOL

Al's voice would fit Mike's leads pretty good, I agree. Just listen to Al's livealbum.

Great dialogue by Al and David. A few highlights - Al: "Anyone wanna hear a car song? (Little Deuce Coupe) Okay...I'll do my Mike Love impression right now". Dave told a story how he was invited by Brian to the studio for a tracking session of Don't Worry Baby (Beach Boys were on tour at the time). Even though he had left the band at that point, Brian had him do the 'chop' guitar part on the instrumental section prior to the last verse. After the session, Brian took Dave to a Jan and Dean session in town, where he witnessed the session for Surf City. Cool story - if anyone there remembers it differently, feel free to interject.

Wasn't "Surf city" done before "Don't worry baby" was tracked?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2013, 02:41:44 AM »

Wasn't "Surf city" done before "Don't worry baby" was tracked?
"Surf City" was released in early summer 1963 (recorded a couple of months earlier), whereas "Don't Worry Baby" happened roughly a year later - so, yeah.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2013, 02:59:45 AM »

I have some great photos from the front row to share but I keep getting a message that the upload folder is full. I've decreased the size and they still won't upload. any help?

Hello SloopJohnnyB. Attaching them doesn't really work on this board, but copy-pasting an url-link does. Try an upload service on the internet for those pictures.  For instance www.tinypic.com or www.photobucket.com

Thanks for responding! Photos posted!

You're welcome, and thanks a lot for posting these pictures.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2013, 07:04:03 AM »

Are you kiddin'? My daughter has lived with me all her life I've used her name more than any other apart from my Mother's and the times I look at her and go through half a dozen other family members names before I hit on hers is scary, it's called getting old!

To me, judging from the video footage, it seemed as though he didn't really recognize David Marks at all or at least had trouble remembering who he was. Maybe I'm wrong. It's just something that made me feel uncomfortable in conjunction with his non-singing on "All Summer Long". I don't know, it's just a personal observation, probably no big deal.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2013, 07:14:22 AM »

To me, judging from the video footage, it seemed as though he didn't really recognize David Marks at all or at least had trouble remembering who he was. Maybe I'm wrong. It's just something that made me feel uncomfortable in conjunction with his non-singing on "All Summer Long". I don't know, it's just a personal observation, probably no big deal.
I largely zapped through that clip and did not come across that 'incident' - could you point me to a minute mark? Wink

Anyway, it's common with 'older' people (Brian's 71 and had a rough life) to momentarily forget names of people, even close family. My mother is only in her 50s and quite a lucid person but keeps calling me by the names of my uncles. (I usually respond by calling her some random name myself. Grin)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 23, 2013, 07:36:49 AM »

I largely zapped through that clip and did not come across that 'incident' - could you point me to a minute mark? Wink

Anyway, it's common with 'older' people (Brian's 71 and had a rough life) to momentarily forget names of people, even close family. My mother is only in her 50s and quite a lucid person but keeps calling me by the names of my uncles. (I usually respond by calling her some random name myself. Grin)

http://youtu.be/dCG1Ja-G5zA

It's at about 6:40. The "All Summer Long" thing is in yet another video I think.

Maybe the two of you are right and it's just his aging...
Nicko1234
« Reply #210 on: July 23, 2013, 08:42:39 AM »

Here is Do it Again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aploH7iO54w

Another song which really does not suit Brian`s voice.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 23, 2013, 09:25:50 AM »

Here is Do it Again

I wonder if Brian is singing all of these leads simply because it is being billed as a Brian Wilson gig. I think these guys need to come up with a band name and spread the responsibility so there is less pressure on Brian. I think everyone (on stage and off) would benefit from this greatly.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: July 23, 2013, 09:31:12 AM »

I'm sure they'll get right on it.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 23, 2013, 09:44:55 AM »

Here is Do it Again

I wonder if Brian is singing all of these leads simply because it is being billed as a Brian Wilson gig. I think these guys need to come up with a band name and spread the responsibility so there is less pressure on Brian. I think everyone (on stage and off) would benefit from this greatly.
No, they wouldn't. "Brian Wilson" sells the tickets. Tongue Wink
Nicko1234
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2013, 09:49:26 AM »

Here is Do it Again

True.

It is odd (to me at least) that several of the rarer songs in the setlist are being sung by Al, David and even Jeff. Having Brian singing more of the non-hits that suit his voice might work better and maybe would give him more interest.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: July 23, 2013, 09:53:06 AM »

I think all of Brian's songs should be sung by Scott Totten in a room because people want to hear the hits or something.

Sooo! Anybody going to Interlochen tonight? Be sure to give mean-spirited advice to the band before they go on, I'm told they appreciate it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:56:47 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 23, 2013, 09:54:45 AM »

Here is Do it Again

True.

It is odd (to me at least) that several of the rarer songs in the setlist are being sung by Al, David and even Jeff. Having Brian singing more of the non-hits that suit his voice might work better and maybe would give him more interest.
It's my impression that he's having the lead on a lot of the deeper cuts. On the other hand he may not be interested in working up the sweat to learn and rehearse really 'new' stuff? If he was he would have announced that he wants to sing lead on a couple more and they would have done it. It's Brian. Wink Also, stuff like "Little Bird" has to be sung by Denny Marks. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:55:46 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 23, 2013, 10:32:57 AM »

It's the disinterest that bothers me. It goes beyond missing a cue or losing a line in the tele. More like, ahh whatever. As I said, the band adequately makes up for it - but at this point of the game (after a decade plus on the road), Brian should be into these shows and if he's not, then don't do the shows.

An in between reaction doesn't cut it, and this is coming from a dedicated fan

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 23, 2013, 10:45:02 AM »

I think all of Brian's songs should be sung by Scott Totten in a room because people want to hear the hits or something.

Sooo! Anybody going to Interlochen tonight? Be sure to give mean-spirited advice to the band before they go on, I'm told they appreciate it.

Mean spirited? Is that what you think this is? Why would anyone be on here if I had ANY mean spirits towards any of the beach boys?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 23, 2013, 11:03:48 AM »

Geez, what's it gonna be, Brian doing all the leads whether he can do them justice or not, or spread out the leads to people who can handle them adequately? I know the ticket says "Brian Wilson", but it is also the Brian Wilson Band performing. In AC, Jeff, Scott and Darian received pretty nice applause for songs that they sang.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: July 23, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »

It's the disinterest that bothers me. It goes beyond missing a cue or losing a line in the tele. More like, ahh whatever. As I said, the band adequately makes up for it - but at this point of the game (after a decade plus on the road), Brian should be into these shows and if he's not, then don't do the shows.

An in between reaction doesn't cut it, and this is coming from a dedicated fan

Having seen Brian numerous times since 1999, I have to say that 99 percent of the criticisms I see about his shows now could apply to most any show or tour. I think the question of how "into" the shows Brian is is a legitimate question. But those questions applied in 1999, and most years post-1965. Brian had good and bad nights clearly. The best performance I saw Brian give was 2000 on the PS tour in Saratoga, CA. He sat, didn't touch the keyboard, and closed his eyes and sang as if he was in a studio. It also helped that he was in a great mood, yelping out "how loud can you f***in' yell?" at one point.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 23, 2013, 11:52:19 AM »

No, I am afraid I'd get lost in the woods.  Grin

Its in South Canada right? Nobody lives up there but Moose anyway.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 23, 2013, 12:05:29 PM »

Wilson-Phillips are going to be at tonight's show!

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: July 23, 2013, 12:15:17 PM »

Why, I'm dancing on aaaaaaaair!

Wait, was that a good thing or a bad thing?

Let's hear some FRIENDS tonight, BW band! That'd be a good one for guest vocalists on. Bust out TILL I DIE if you're feeling frisky.

Then Al Jardine can have a shuddering, all too real "Beach Boys Family and Friends" flashback and start foaming at the mouth and counter-suing people left and right until he has to be subdued with a tranquilizing dart carried for just that purpose by a solemn-faced David Marks.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:20:50 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 23, 2013, 12:17:42 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3UuysDQAVs&feature=share

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx