gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:41:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian, Al, and David Tour 2013  (Read 38593 times)
Pacific Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 09:51:34 PM »

5 guitarists
3 keyboardists
2 percussionists
1 bassist
1 Mertens

Can we get a full list? Is it just the same as Brian's lineup pre-reunion?

Brian's pre-reunion line-up had two fewer guitars...

I kinda understand what Mike was complaining about, with too many guitars.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 10:07:37 PM »

I don't think Mike ever complained about the number of guitars, per se. Only the number of people. Regardless, it's a red herring. Of those "five guitars" --

-- Probyn plays horns and tannerin on a decent part of the set. He also played bass for half of the C50 sets, although it looks like he won't need to do that this time.

-- Jeff doesn't play for large sections of the show, and sometimes just strums an acoustic. He's there for vocals 99.9 percent of the time.

-- Likewise, Al is there for vocals. His guitar is just something to keep his hands busy.

-- That leaves Nicky, who handles most of the guitar duties, and Dave, who will likely play most of the leads.

And of those "three keyboardists," one is Brian, who is largely playing rhythm keys that are mixed way down (if there at all), leaving Darian and Scott, who switch between keyboards and vibes all the time.

A more accurate breakdown would be --

2 guitarists
1 winds / harmonica player
1 guitarist / horn player
2 keyboard / vibes players
1 bassist
1 drummer
1 percussionist
1 falsettist
2 lead vocalists with instruments and occasionally throw in a riff or two.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 10:09:36 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 11:08:17 PM »

Only the number of people.

Which is of course ridiculous given the amount of people who played on their most famous songs in the 60s.  There were at least 15 session musicians on the Pet Sounds album.  That's the classic Brian Wilson sound and that's why the band is so great.  While you probably don't need a huge band to play "Fun, Fun, Fun," there's no doubt that songs like "Good Vibrations" and "California Girls" are better suited to a big band.

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 11:19:26 PM »

It's a huge, huge payroll, though. I can't believe Brian makes too much money touring due to the size of the band he carries, especially given the size of the venues and the ticket prices. He may even lose money.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 04:13:12 AM »

No Taylor Mills?

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 04:23:20 AM »

Grin Thread for this already!

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15725.0.html

Nicko1234
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 05:21:21 AM »

It's a huge, huge payroll, though. I can't believe Brian makes too much money touring due to the size of the band he carries, especially given the size of the venues and the ticket prices. He may even lose money.

Brian has indeed lost a lot of money on some tours.

From a business perspective ut certainly makes sense to tour with a smaller backing band.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 07:17:54 AM »

Someone should get ahold of Brian and/or his management right away about how people on this board can triple the amount of money he should have. What's a couple of guitar players have anything to do with his sound anyway? And besides, after the shows, we can all complain about how "thin" it sounded. Roll Eyes
Nicko1234
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 08:07:30 AM »

Someone should get ahold of Brian and/or his management right away about how people on this board can triple the amount of money he should have. What's a couple of guitar players have anything to do with his sound anyway? And besides, after the shows, we can all complain about how "thin" it sounded. Roll Eyes

Now there`s a rational response if ever I saw one...  LOL
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 08:10:10 AM »

It's almost like he's not ENTIRELY motivated by money or something!

"Arty type, no principles." - Naked Lunch
Nicko1234
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 08:15:36 AM »

It's almost like he's not ENTIRELY motivated by money or something!

"Arty type, no principles." - Naked Lunch

Of course not. But it does give another indication why people should be thankful that the C50 tour happened at all as both touring groups are so different.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2013, 08:38:52 AM »

The added guitars during the C50 shows gave it some "balls". It was the first time the group had that since about 1983. The 80s and 90s were drowned in keyboards and Mike and Bruce go for a lighter  sound altogether (that's the group's choice and it sounds fine) but in the heyday of the BB touring band there were lots of guitars and horns on stage. It was nice to hear that last year and hopefully from B,A, and D,
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2013, 09:04:59 AM »

oldsurferdude - I saw Brian in 2008 -with a seven guy group.  IIRC they did Southern California and some other Brian-specific stuff, alongside the "BB hits" and they sounded just fine.  I took one of my sons to see him and he could not take his eyes off Brian, whose work he had listened to all his life.

And, I'm a union girl, so I like seeing people working.  

Taylor was not on this tour.  
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:29:56 AM by filledeplage » Logged
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2013, 09:22:21 AM »

I don't think Mike ever complained about the number of guitars, per se. Only the number of people. Regardless, it's a red herring. Of those "five guitars" --

-- Probyn plays horns and tannerin on a decent part of the set. He also played bass for half of the C50 sets, although it looks like he won't need to do that this time.

-- Jeff doesn't play for large sections of the show, and sometimes just strums an acoustic. He's there for vocals 99.9 percent of the time.

-- Likewise, Al is there for vocals. His guitar is just something to keep his hands busy.

-- That leaves Nicky, who handles most of the guitar duties, and Dave, who will likely play most of the leads.

And of those "three keyboardists," one is Brian, who is largely playing rhythm keys that are mixed way down (if there at all), leaving Darian and Scott, who switch between keyboards and vibes all the time.

2 guitarists
1 bassist
1 drummer
1 percussionist
1 falsettist

Good Take!

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2013, 09:25:26 AM »

From a business perspective ut certainly makes sense to tour with a smaller backing band.

Then I would content first and foremost, Brian is an artist - opposed to the um, "Business Boys".

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2013, 09:29:21 AM »

Then I would content first and foremost, Brian is an artist - opposed to the um, "Business Boys".
Brian has income coming in from all different directions and can afford to break even or absorb a loss on a small tour. The fact that he does such a thing for his fans is a very nice thing to do for us. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2013, 10:48:55 AM »

2 guitarists
1 bassist
1 drummer
1 percussionist
1 falsettist

It's still ridiculous. If Al Jardine and David Marks are prominent guitarists (which they SHOULD be after fifty friggin years) then there is no need for any other guitarists. The Beach Boys music never calls for more than two. The lineup should be something more like this...

Brian Wilson- Vocals, Grand Piano (I get it, he needs something to hide behind. I wouldn't even bother putting the keyboard in that thing.)
Daivd Marks- Vocals, Lead Guitar
Al Jardine- Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Jeffrey Foskett- Vocals, Acoustic Guitar
Bob Lizik- Vocals, Bass
Darian S.- Vocals, Keyboards
Probyn Gregory- Vocals, Horns
Paul Von Mertens- Woodwinds, Etc., Percussion
Drummer

Even that is pushing it...there is no real need for live horns or woodwinds, it's sort of a bonus in this day and age. I only kept foskett in there because of his falsetto and I didn't know the drummers name...
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2013, 11:26:59 AM »

In this day and age? That's nuts. I want a french horn in "God Only Knows" where a french horn should be, not some shitty synth pad. It's fantastic being able to hear these songs sound like... these songs.

The London Philharmonic really needs to cut the dead weight as well.

He's built a great band over the years that are fanatically loyal. I know Mike's cost-cutting ways have helped keep the flame alive in John Q. Public's set end date heart, but the coupon-clipping doesn't really have to extend to Brian's Extended Musical Therapy Project and Traveling Roadshow.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:44:58 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2013, 12:16:59 PM »

We aren't talking about the philharmonic. We're talking about a rock show. And not everything is "some shitty synth pad"

Paul McCartney- For No One (2005)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bltVvdWTbzQ

Sounds pretty damn well like a french horn to me...and that was eight years ago.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2013, 12:24:10 PM »

No thanks. I'll take the music of Brian Wilson live as close as it can get to the music of Brian Wilson. I want them to sound as close to the Wrecking Crew as possible when doing the 60s material, not a bar band. People here are still bitching about the sampled harpsichords, and you want to sample the horns too?

I still don't get the "in this day and age" thing. Horns and woodwinds are kind of needed when you write parts for horns and woodwinds.  If they restricted their set to the first few records, I could see your point. But they don't.

I don't understand how the audience would benefit from sampled instruments and less accurate versions of the songs. Samples are wonderful, I use them all the time. But I want to see somebody blowing into a piece of metal when I'm spending the money for good seats at the Greek.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:31:23 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2013, 12:32:58 PM »

If Brian (or his management) choose for him to have loads of musicians on stage for his solo career then I cannot see any problem with that. When it was with The Beach Boys then it was much more of an issue perhaps as Brian was not the only decision maker.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2013, 12:43:54 PM »

2 guitarists
1 bassist
1 drummer
1 percussionist
1 falsettist

It's still ridiculous. If Al Jardine and David Marks are prominent guitarists (which they SHOULD be after fifty friggin years) then there is no need for any other guitarists. The Beach Boys music never calls for more than two. The lineup should be something more like this...

Brian Wilson- Vocals, Grand Piano (I get it, he needs something to hide behind. I wouldn't even bother putting the keyboard in that thing.)
Daivd Marks- Vocals, Lead Guitar
Al Jardine- Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Jeffrey Foskett- Vocals, Acoustic Guitar
Bob Lizik- Vocals, Bass
Darian S.- Vocals, Keyboards
Probyn Gregory- Vocals, Horns
Paul Von Mertens- Woodwinds, Etc., Percussion
Drummer

Even that is pushing it...there is no real need for live horns or woodwinds, it's sort of a bonus in this day and age. I only kept foskett in there because of his falsetto and I didn't know the drummers name...
Nelson Bragg does percussion - indispensable - does the "special effects" stuff. Amazing musician.
I think Michael D'Amico did drums and some guitar during C50.  
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:31:51 AM by filledeplage » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2013, 12:44:37 PM »

If Brian (or his management) choose for him to have loads of musicians on stage for his solo career then I cannot see any problem with that. When it was with The Beach Boys then it was much more of an issue perhaps as Brian was not the only decision maker.

C50 made money, plenty of money. They could have made more with a smaller band. If that fact really helped end the tour, then that indeed is sad. Some of the songs can be done with a 5 piece band, some songs need more. So do we sacrifice "Wouldn't it be Nice" sounding appropriately lush because Mike is bent out of shape because "Shut Down" didn't need that many vocalists?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2013, 12:48:10 PM »

No thanks. I'll take the music of Brian Wilson live as close as it can get to the music of Brian Wilson. I want them to sound as close to the Wrecking Crew as possible when doing the 60s material, not a bar band. People here are still bitching about the sampled harpsichords, and you want to sample the horns too?

I still don't get the "in this day and age" thing. Horns and woodwinds are kind of needed when you write parts for horns and woodwinds.  If they restricted their set to the first few records, I could see your point. But they don't.

I don't understand how the audience would benefit from sampled instruments and less accurate versions of the songs. Samples are wonderful, I use them all the time. But I want to see somebody blowing into a piece of metal when I'm spending the money for good seats at the Greek.
The music of Brian Wilson IS the music of the Beach Boys.  They are inextricably wound. 
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2013, 12:55:09 PM »

I'm talking about his musical arrangements. I find it very enjoyable when they sound more like his original musical arrangements instead of more drastically downsized live renditions.

If you want to, we can pretend Mike was equally responsible for those and fought ferociously for more french horns.

It's just personal preference, I'm not claiming to speak for the common man or anything. I may be a rancid jerk and everything, but I quite prefer hearing "Wouldn't It Be Nice" the way Brian's band does it over Mike's. I understand this is possibly a flaw in my personality or at best a moral failing, as I know they both have the same exact act/setlist and everything done the same way with equally competent musicians that achieve Total Beach Boys Equivalency. But I rather like it when they have a guy with long hair racing around in the back scraping, plinking, and swatting at things to add the right percussive touches.

Admit it, Nelson is fun to watch! It's astonishing to watch such dedicated people try to recreate those sounds with every blarahonk and twang in place.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 01:12:51 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx