gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 12:38:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Charles Lloyd, Waves & TM  (Read 4429 times)
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2013, 04:19:40 AM »

Jazz flautist Charles Lloyd worked on-stage and in the studio with The Beach Boys in the early '70's. I believe that is him fluttering midst the - dare I say it - psychedelic wash of Feel Flows.

The Boys seem to have returned the favor by appearing on two cuts of his Waves lp - on TM and on Rishikesh.

I don't have the credits handy but if I had to guess I'd say TM is a co-composition. It is, at any rate, a gem, far superior to the album closer on Friends and, I think, well deserving a place in the canon.

I don't know for sure if it was ever performed live. I think it might have been, at CW Post in '73 - but memory is uncertain. I do know that Mike refers to it at the Carnegie Hall 72 show.

Anyway, here's the link to a truly great, unjustifiably neglected performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_xpxNnlqHE
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 04:35:32 AM »

And along that line, a tasty performance of Caroline No.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKVpZNxVWA4

Highlighting the jazz influence on Brian Wilson's compositional chops.
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 05:06:13 AM »

It is, at any rate, a gem, far superior to the album closer on Friends and, I think, well deserving a place in the canon.

Agreed. I've always loved it. An incredibly soothing and relaxing recording. A while ago I included it on a playlist on my ipod collecting a bunch of similar Beach Boys songs that are good to wind down to after a long day at work. (All This is That, Meant for You, Feel Flows, All I Wanna Do etc.) Fits right in and the harmonies on it are very pretty.

Speaking of jazzy versions of Caroline No, I'm very fond of these two, both from 69:

Nick de Caro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73CnOYhBNyQ

Steve Douglas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AJX0lmYglM
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 05:09:07 AM by kwan_dk » Logged

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 05:18:14 AM »

They're also on Lloyd's earlier Warm Waters album - on All Life is One and How Sweet
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 06:40:52 AM »

Steve Douglas - very, very nice

Warm Waters - wow, totally new to me. Thanks!
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 07:06:37 AM »

Jazz flautist Charles Lloyd worked on-stage and in the studio with The Beach Boys in the early '70's. I believe that is him fluttering midst the - dare I say it - psychedelic wash of Feel Flows.

The Boys seem to have returned the favor by appearing on two cuts of his Waves lp - on TM and on Rishikesh.

I don't have the credits handy but if I had to guess I'd say TM is a co-composition. It is, at any rate, a gem, far superior to the album closer on Friends and, I think, well deserving a place in the canon.

I don't know for sure if it was ever performed live. I think it might have been, at CW Post in '73 - but memory is uncertain. I do know that Mike refers to it at the Carnegie Hall 72 show.

Always wondered if there was a place where you could legally purchase & download the TM track or the Waves LP.  This version has pretty poor sound quality.  I've searched, but it appears to be out of print.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:48:36 AM by Bill M » Logged
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 09:31:23 PM »

I remember when I first found Warm Waters in the record bins at S. Kleins in NY back in 1971, back when it was so thrilling to see the words "Brian Wilson" show up anywhere on a back jacket credit after Sunflower...thanks for the reminder. Love TM and All Life is One.
I agree, please replace Transcendental Meditation with TM, so that I can bliss out right through to the end. I think I'll do just that, thanks...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:28:57 AM by PS » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 12:34:09 AM »

TM was written by Charles Lloyd.  Vocals by Michael Love, Carl Wilson, Al Jardine, Billy Hinsche, and Pamela Polland.  An incredibly relaxing tune, which captures the TM experience far better than the BB TM offerings on Friends and 15 Big Ones.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 12:51:42 AM »

I remember when I first found Warm Waters in the record bins at S. Kleins in NY back in 1971, back when it was so thrilling to see the words "Brian Wilson"show up anywhere on a back jacket credit after Sunflower...thanks for the reminder. Love TM and All Life is One.
I agree, please replace Transcendental Meditation with TM, so that I can bliss out right through to the end. I think I'll do just that, thanks...

Good find, back in 1971!  Even though I bought Charles Lloyd's Waves album when it was released in 1972, I wasn't aware of the earlier Warm Waters album until 1977.  All Life Is One is an incredibly beautiful song, and, like TM, was written by Charles Lloyd.  All Life Is One was recorded by Stephen Desper at "Brother Studios", with vocals by Mike Love, Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, Alan Jardine, Billy Cowsill, Rhetta Hughes, and Michael O'Gara.

To the best of my knowledge the Warm Waters album has never be reissued in a digital format.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 01:06:28 AM »

All Life is One:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0HBok8LMKI
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 01:33:22 AM »

Wow, hadn't heard this one! It's great! Thanks for pointing us towards this.

MBE
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 02:32:58 AM »

What a great period for the group that could still be called a group.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 03:43:53 AM »

Keep an eye out for Big Sur Tapestry, as well - I chanced upon it for $5 recently.

All the tracks are written by Charles; however, of interest and according to the annotation, side 1 was recorded by Stephen Moffitt at Brother Studios, while side 2 which is a 29 min Pysch-Flutey-Opus called "Homage to the Universe" - recorded and engineered by Steven Desper at Brian's home studio.  Cosmic...

Also a great way to appreciate the very different recording and engineering styles and sounds of Moffitt and Desper (The album mastering was at a later date, maybe '79 by a couple of other dudes).

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 03:48:39 AM »

Keep an eye out for Big Sur Tapestry, as well - I chanced upon it for $5 recently. All the tracks are written by Charles; however, of interest and according to the annotation, side 1 was recorded by Stephen Moffitt at Brother Studios, while side 2 which is a 29 min Pysch-Flutey-Opus called "Homage to the Universe" - recorded and engineered by Steven Desper at Brian's home studio.  Cosmic...

I guess this is as good an occasion as ever to ask if there is some sort of discography on all the stuff Steven Desper has been involved in?

I absoluty love the warm, fuzzy sounds he got on Sunsflower and American Spring and am wondering if he had the same kind of approach when working with other artists? What would be interesting to seek out?

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx