gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:05:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When Girls Get Together  (Read 3069 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2013, 09:21:04 AM »

I've been listening to the backing track for this one for hours, and disagree if you will, but I think it's genius.
I mean, listen to the echoing slide guitars! It sounds like if Pet Sounds and Smiley Smile got blended together!
Agree? Disagree? I really like everything about this track, up to the lyrics. (haha...)

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 09:26:28 AM »

Dito. I've always liked it. My favourite track off Keepin' the Summer Alive, next to "Goin' On".
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 09:33:20 AM »

I've been listening to the backing track for this one for hours, and disagree if you will, but I think it's genius.
I mean, listen to the echoing slide guitars! It sounds like if Pet Sounds and Smiley Smile got blended together!
Agree? Disagree? I really like everything about this track, up to the lyrics. (haha...)

I don't know. I've just always thought it sucked. The backing track is nicely done, but I don't really care for it at all. And the vocals, ugh. I don't think Mike and Brian mix well on this one. And especially the mix on Keepin' The Summer Alive. Mike is mixed way too high, and he sounds super nasal. And it's just not good. Maybe one of these days I'll come around to it. But as it stands, it's probably amongst my least favorite Wilson/Love songs. I'd take everything else on KTSA and M.I.U. over that song.

Sorry though, wish I could agree with ya!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 10:33:50 AM »

I've mentioned it at least twice on this board, but I think this song is very Everly Bros-esque. I like. The lyrics are better than a lot of other Brian songs from this era.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 10:34:59 AM »

PS - the version as heard on the "Landlocked" era releases is much, much better - because it is missing that hideous kick drum overdub that features prominently on KTSA. What was Johnston thinking?

SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 11:09:07 AM »

PS - the version as heard on the "Landlocked" era releases is much, much better - because it is missing that hideous kick drum overdub that features prominently on KTSA. What was Johnston thinking?

The drums on KTSA are terrible in general. They sound very dry and lack 'oomph', if you know what I mean.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 11:25:52 AM »

I've mentioned it at least twice on this board, but I think this song is very Everly Bros-esque. I like. The lyrics are better than a lot of other Brian songs from this era.

Depends what era you mean? Do you mean the late '60s/early '70s or do you mean the late '70s?
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 11:36:36 AM »

I liked this song before it was cool. Now pass the PBR please  3D
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 11:40:39 AM »

Depends what era you mean? Do you mean the late '60s/early '70s or do you mean the late '70s?

I was referring to the very late 60s/very early 70s stuff that was recorded at the same time - like HELP Is On The Way, Games Two Can Play...etc

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 11:41:21 AM »

Agree.

I like the song a lot but I don't think it fits on Keepin' The Summer Alive. I like the lyrics, too. "When Girls Get Together" is sort of a more sophisticated "boy/girl" song from Brian & Mike; it's not as juvenile (and I don't mean that derogatorily) as most of their previous ones.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 12:21:38 PM »

I was referring to the very late 60s/very early 70s stuff that was recorded at the same time - like HELP Is On The Way, Games Two Can Play...etc

Yeah, but keep in mind at the same time he was doing "This Whole World" and "'Til I Die" too. Seems like on one hand he was doing his "statement" songs like those two, and then on the other hand he was doing "throwaway" type stuff like "Games Two Can Play", "I Just Got My Pay", etc.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 12:26:11 PM »

Yeah, but keep in mind at the same time he was doing "This Whole World" and "'Til I Die" too. Seems like on one hand he was doing his "statement" songs like those two, and then on the other hand he was doing "throwaway" type stuff like "Games Two Can Play", "I Just Got My Pay", etc.
It's Brian Wilson. He's as passionate about projects ŕ la "This Whole World" as he is about "Games Two Can Play". Wink
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 12:27:15 PM »

Reminds me of the musical accompaniment for a Greek folk dance. But I know nothing about Greek folk dance.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 01:29:32 PM »

Awesome track!
Those horns are so cool!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 11:43:50 PM »

I didn't like WGGT on KTSA and had no clue it was recorded 10 years earlier. In the context of the Landlocked boot, I really enjoy it. I don't know if it's really just the kick drum. I would have to edit a CD with the KTSA version at its place within the Landlocked boot. But I don't think the answer to this question is worth the effort.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 02:48:40 PM »

Unless I'm misinterpreting, Doe's site says that When Girls ... was at one point planned for release as an instrumental (June 1970 / Reverberation).  http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs70.html.  To me, this is the way to listen to it.
sunnycalifornia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 03:12:53 PM »

I still love this song even if it's on KTSA. Also with Santa Ana Winds and Endless Harmony!

My Beach Boys Blog: brianislandlocked.blogspot.com
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 06:35:33 PM »

Unless I'm misinterpreting, Doe's site says that When Girls ... was at one point planned for release as an instrumental (June 1970 / Reverberation).  http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs70.html.  To me, this is the way to listen to it.

I've heard this and as an instrumental it's much more listenable than the vocal version.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 08:47:30 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:56:38 PM by zatch » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx