gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:42:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Early version of "River Song"  (Read 5029 times)
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 08:42:51 PM »

I'm well-familiar with the POB version of "River Song" and though I've heard of the early mix version, this is actually the first time I've ever heard it, and right from the very start, with the guitars doubling the piano, wow, there's an immediate payoff.

This mix, I mean, it's fantastic.

I have to say, what with the pulsating, overdriven guitar chords and added percussion at the end, this is how the song should be heard.  It breathes, it stretches out and, and well, it rocks.  It rocks in a way the official version feels like it wants too, but never quite allows itself to.

The shakers during the "I was born to the city life" section... I mean, gee, the list just goes on and on.  Mr. Roach, well done, sir.  The official release is a fine thing, and more stately, I suppose, but damn, what I wouldn't give to have this version released in better fidelity (but keep those guitars dirty, and right up front!).

Now I've got to try to track down a lossless version to really get an idea of what this mix sounds like.  Wish me luck.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 10:01:42 PM »

One way to easily confirm that this is indeed Dennis singing is the way he sings "Oh mighty river, I would love to be like you". Dennis had an interesting way of pronouncing this particular word. He did the same thing in Forever.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2013, 10:10:37 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81PcyF7Ygl8
This is how Blondie sang it, the rehearsal version is to my ears Dennis. I think Dennis could still sing well in 1973 if the live Forever is anything to go on.
Again, that version I commented on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJeHcHzGyZQ... is not a rehearsal. its an early early mix/vocal take circa '74 of the eventual POB track, much of what you hear there remains on the released POB track, some of it buried further down in the mix.
You are of course correct, I was thinking more about the lead vocal than the source.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 09:33:54 PM »

Definitely Blondie on lead for the Hartford show, and Dennis on lead in the early studio version...isn't the Hartford show bootlegged on one of those "Long Lost Surf Songs" volumes?

As Gen42 notes, the '74 version rocks, but (IMO, at least...) it needs a vocal tag that it didn't get for awhile longer ("You've got to run away, run away..."). That over the power chords, and the drumming, might well have been a hit.

Seems as though the clock was doing some serious ticking in '74--late June was when Endless Summer came out, and unfortunately it seems likely that a "River Song" single for the BBs might not have been able to withstand the resurgence of the older material.

I really do think the BBs were just one hit away from being able to "stay the course" in the 72-74 time frame. I think it's pretty clear that Warners just didn't have it when it came to pushing BBs singles in this time frame. Too late on "Marcella," no follow-through on "SOS": they probably would've done something similar to a "River Song" single.

But also...Lord knows what the band dynamics would have been like if a song written by Dennis had gone, say, top 20. Would they have galvanized around that, given who wrote it? Lots of imponderables there, mates...

Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2013, 12:37:51 AM »

According to Ed Roach, the early River Song mix only exists on cassette, and, IIRC was a mix that he made. Dennis didn't want the prominent guitars, and so that approach was abandoned. This was brought up in a thread on this board around the time of the POB reissue (circa 2008?).

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9303.0.html has the discussion in which Ed reveals all!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 12:42:40 AM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2013, 03:07:55 AM »

I will upload the River Song from the Hartford 1973 concert soon on my Youtube channel. For those who haven't heard it Smiley My copy has some strange noise, unfortunately, but it's still listenable.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2013, 05:08:13 AM »

I will upload the River Song from the Hartford 1973 concert soon on my Youtube channel. For those who haven't heard it Smiley My copy has some strange noise, unfortunately, but it's still listenable.

IIRC that show was recorded professionally for the In Concert album. So there must be a live "River song" somewhere in the vaults in perfect quality

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2013, 10:07:36 AM »

According to Ed Roach, the early River Song mix only exists on cassette, and, IIRC was a mix that he made. Dennis didn't want the prominent guitars, and so that approach was abandoned. This was brought up in a thread on this board around the time of the POB reissue (circa 2008?).

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9303.0.html has the discussion in which Ed reveals all!

Was just logging in to tell the story of my mix, and was surprised to find my memory still intact - was about the tell it the exact same way!

Also, still haven't got that KABC video transferred...  Among the many gems stashed in the archive awaiting the next documentary
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2013, 11:03:28 AM »

Was just logging in to tell the story of my mix, and was surprised to find my memory still intact - was about the tell it the exact same way!

Also, still haven't got that KABC video transferred...  Among the many gems stashed in the archive awaiting the next documentary
Ed, once again, I really enjoyed your mix.  I know the Beach Boys have been, generally speaking, more a keyboard than a guitar group, but I think your mix, with it's attention to the guitars and percussion at the end is just terrific!

If your mix truly exists only in cassette form, I'd like to think the elements to recreate such a mix for weren't wiped.  That said, should another archival release beyond MiC ever see the light of day, maybe with just the r2r tape you mentioned in that earlier thread (used to dub your cassette), something could be prepared for official release?

I know I'm reaching here, but what can I say?  I just think that, even more so than what is experienced with the fine POB mix, your take on the performance really did the song the right kind of justice.   Thumbs Up
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2013, 11:06:16 AM »

IIRC that show was recorded professionally for the In Concert album. So there must be a live "River song" somewhere in the vaults in perfect quality

Interesting! I really hope they will release a live box set at some point. Especially the 1971-1974 years were great.
MBE
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2013, 01:36:45 AM »

Ed if you don't mind me asking do you recall when Dennis cut his lead? I have been trying for a long time to figure out when he voice lost the clearer tones heard here compared to the released version. Also did the River Song news footage ever get found or transferred? Thanks for all you have added here and for my work personally.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx