gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:33:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Didn't Dennis sing on Holland?  (Read 6017 times)
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 02:59:35 AM »

The real question is Why didn't Dennis sing on In Concert?!  We KNOW he took leads in the shows that were recorded and everyone got at least one on the album, even Ricky!  Can anyone point out any specific vocal parts from him on that album?  The only place I hear him is on (almost all of) the between song banter.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 03:44:27 AM »

Dennis took a shot at singing "Sail On Sailor". I think it would have souinded pretty good. He shoulda stuck with it, but he ran off to the beach instead.

Dennis also sang a version of "Only With You" after the released version was already recorded. Though Carl did an outstanding job on it, I think Dennis' version was even better.
Nice one, Mikie - the version of OWY on the POB  re-release is really soulful and heartfelt in that inimatible Dennis way.

His harmonies are just awesome on the POB sessions version.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2013, 06:52:26 AM »

Dennis took a shot at singing "Sail On Sailor". I think it would have souinded pretty good. He shoulda stuck with it, but he ran off to the beach instead.

That's right, I forgot about that!  Man, that would have been awesome!!!  Denny was supposed to sing that song!!!!

Sail On Sailor might be their greatest song.... which is saying a lot, sure.  But damn if that song doesn't get me right now.  I so absolutely love Brian's lead on 50 Live.

Afro

I played the Hawthorne cd for the first time in a while last week and had forgotten about the instrumental version of Sail on Sailor. It blew me away! Listen to that track and try telling me Brian Wilson is not one of the greatest song creators in history.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2013, 07:27:55 AM »

That's right, I forgot about that!  Man, that would have been awesome!!!  Denny was supposed to sing that song!!!!

Sail On Sailor might be their greatest song.... which is saying a lot, sure.  But damn if that song doesn't get me right now.  I so absolutely love Brian's lead on 50 Live.

Afro

I played the Hawthorne cd for the first time in a while last week and had forgotten about the instrumental version of Sail on Sailor. It blew me away! Listen to that track and try telling me Brian Wilson is not one of the greatest song creators in history.

I only just noticed that the Hawthorne version is in a different key than the album version. I have always thought it sounded different, but now I know the answer Grin
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2013, 09:15:46 AM »

Afro

Even greater if you keep in mind that he allegedly produced the track by remote control over the telephone with Carl...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 11:42:05 AM »

That's right, I forgot about that!  Man, that would have been awesome!!!  Denny was supposed to sing that song!!!!

Sail On Sailor might be their greatest song.... which is saying a lot, sure.  But damn if that song doesn't get me right now.  I so absolutely love Brian's lead on 50 Live.

Afro

I only just noticed that the Hawthorne version is in a different key than the album version. I have always thought it sounded different, but now I know the answer Grin
How so, mon frere? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2013, 12:11:37 PM »

Afro

I totally agree (the part about Brian's lead).  I never really "got" Sail On Sailor until I heard Brian sing it during the anniversary tour.
sunnycalifornia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2013, 12:26:55 PM »

The real question is Why didn't Dennis sing on In Concert?!  We KNOW he took leads in the shows that were recorded and everyone got at least one on the album, even Ricky!  Can anyone point out any specific vocal parts from him on that album?  The only place I hear him is on (almost all of) the between song banter.

Yeah I know come on! He's even the only one on the album cover!

My Beach Boys Blog: brianislandlocked.blogspot.com
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2013, 12:45:49 PM »

Yeah, Dennis is on the album cover takin' a wis into the front row of the audience.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2013, 01:08:34 PM »

Afro

Nearly as much credit should go to Carl and the guys playing that amazing track..... And Blondie and the others for their vocals, and Van Dyke, Jack Reilly and so on....
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2013, 01:43:24 PM »

I never really "got" Sail On Sailor until I heard Brian sing it during the anniversary tour.

I'm surprised to see I'm not the only one! Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2013, 11:17:49 PM »

I never really "got" Sail On Sailor until I heard Brian sing it during the anniversary tour.

You see... ....right there, folks.  That's the sh!t I'm talking about.

I love this!!

I totally understand what you guys are saying.  Brian's vocal is what has always been missing.  It's his magnum opus.  That's why.  That's my opinion.  Him taking the lead on Live 50....we FINALLY get to hear the song correctly.... Brian Wilson -- picture him paranoid-ly swaying at the piano circa 1973, looking over his shoulder, singing out of the side of his mouth.... playing his soul out.  Carl and Denny huddled in silence -- in damn near fuking tears.  Mike too.

Fkc yeah.  Oh GOD yes!!!!

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2013, 11:21:38 PM »

Yeah, Dennis is on the album cover takin' a wis into the front row of the audience.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that protruding microphone stand is supposed to represent Dennis' shlong is it not?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2013, 11:46:43 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that protruding microphone stand is supposed to represent Dennis' shlong is it not?
The guy behind the counter at the record store where I bought that album sure thought it was Dennis pissing on the audience. So Dennis gets to be on the cover, but not even one of his songs makes the record? WTF?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2013, 12:58:27 AM »

You see... ....right there, folks.  That's the sh!t I'm talking about.

I love this!!

I totally understand what you guys are saying.  Brian's vocal is what has always been missing.  It's his magnum opus.  That's why.  That's my opinion.  Him taking the lead on Live 50....we FINALLY get to hear the song correctly.... Brian Wilson -- picture him paranoid-ly swaying at the piano circa 1973, looking over his shoulder, singing out of the side of his mouth.... playing his soul out.  Carl and Denny huddled in silence -- in damn near fuking tears.  Mike too.

Fkc yeah.  Oh GOD yes!!!!

Just gotta ask: do you guys think the same thing when Brian's sings God Only Knows at his solo shows?  Evil  Evil

As much as I love Blondie's lead on the record and Carl's 90's versions: the sight of a 70 year old Brian singing this powerful song about the brutal tides of life, was quite emotionally overpowering for me too.... I look at it as, the song was meant to be Blondie's until Brian could reclaim it...... Or until life and time reclaimed it for him.....

Blondie will always own that album cut though, because it's goshdamn amazing.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 01:01:14 AM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2013, 01:10:57 AM »

Having been in attendance at the concert where the cover photo was taken (Hollywood Palladium, April 20, 1973) I can answer in the affirmative.  Dennis held the mic stand at his crotch and while it was lowered he moved it around toward various female audience members close to the front of the stage.  This phallic display elicited both surprise and laughter from the audience.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2013, 01:27:34 AM »

Having been in attendance at the concert where the cover photo was taken (Hollywood Palladium, April 20, 1973) I can answer in the affirmative.  Dennis held the mic stand at his crotch and while it was lowered he moved it around toward various female audience members close to the front of the stage.  This phallic display elicited both surprise and laughter from the audience.

You are a God among men for having been there.....
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2013, 01:25:50 PM »

I should add that Dennis' phallic mic display in no way looked to me like he was simulating taking a piss on the audience.  My distinct impression was that he was simulating offering his member to females in the audience for some "attention".

Two pages of photos I took of that night's concert, as well as recollections, can be found at Malcolm Searles Back Through the Opera Glass site:

Page One:  http://www.pipeline-operaglass.moonfruit.com/#/1973-la-show/4532469771
Page Two:  http://www.pipeline-operaglass.moonfruit.com/#/1973-la-show-2/4532472821

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx