gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:53:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Didn't Dennis sing on Holland?  (Read 6000 times)
sunnycalifornia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2013, 04:04:44 PM »

He wrote beautiful songs but gave them to Carl who still made them masterpieces. Just curious as to why he didn't sing them himself. Is it something to do with his time in Holland in general? He also elected Carl to sing Fourth of July earlier and Blondie to do It's a New Day.

My Beach Boys Blog: brianislandlocked.blogspot.com
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 04:08:19 PM »

He wrote beautiful songs but gave them to Carl who still made them masterpieces. Just curious as to why he didn't sing them himself. Is it something to do with his time in Holland in general? He also elected Carl to sing Fourth of July earlier and Blondie to do It's a New Day.
Do you mean Carry Me Home? I don't think Blondie is on It's a New Day. Though, I haven't listened to it in many years.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
sunnycalifornia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 04:09:40 PM »

Carry me home was one I was thinking of too from Holland. It's A New Day is Blondie but from 1971.

MBE
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 04:15:54 PM »

He did not like Holland. Brian was having problems there and Dennis was upset by how it was being treated. Granted he could have overdubbed leads back in L.A. but Carl sang Only With You in 1972 so Dennis probably just wrote it for Carl's voice ala San Miguel
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 04:27:21 PM »

Dennis took a shot at singing "Sail On Sailor". I think it would have souinded pretty good. He shoulda stuck with it, but he ran off to the beach instead.

Dennis also sang a version of "Only With You" after the released version was already recorded. Though Carl did an outstanding job on it, I think Dennis' version was even better.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 05:07:16 PM »

Carry me home was one I was thinking of too from Holland. It's A New Day is Blondie but from 1971.
I forgot that the track on All This Is That is sped up. What is the pitch correction on this, .5 or 1 full step? Tried both, but neither sound exactly how I am used to hearing Blondie sing on other tunes. Slowed down further than 1 really sounds off.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
sunnycalifornia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 05:26:56 PM »

I forgot that the track on All This Is That is sped up. What is the pitch correction on this, .5 or 1 full step? Tried both, but neither sound exactly how I am used to hearing Blondie sing on other tunes. Slowed down further than 1 really sounds off.
[/quote]

hmm you know I'm not sure about that. Have you tried 1 1/2 up?

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 05:35:21 PM »

hmm you know I'm not sure about that. Have you tried 1 1/2 up?
Up would make it sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks. It's either minus .5 or minus 1. What is tricky is that it doesn't sound like a typical Blondie vocal.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:39:40 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 05:37:58 PM »

Duplicate post.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:40:35 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
sunnycalifornia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 05:42:49 PM »

You're saying that Blondie is in the harmony somewhere right? I'm trying to listen for him.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 05:48:55 PM »

You're saying that Blondie is in the harmony somewhere right? I'm trying to listen for him.

All This Is That is the boot CD that It's A New Day is on. Sorry to confuse you.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
sunnycalifornia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 05:51:02 PM »

Why do you think they sped up the recording?

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 07:03:09 PM »

I don't know who sped it up or for what reasons, but I know some people have sped things up when giving a copy of of a recording to somebody to basically "track" the recording if somebody has leaked it. For instance, I'm pretty sure whoever initially leaked the Paley sessions stuff had a copy that was sped up, and that made it easier to figure out that it was that person who the leak came from. I could be totally wrong on that though, but that's what I remember hearing.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 09:50:48 PM »

Dennis took a shot at singing "Sail On Sailor". I think it would have souinded pretty good. He shoulda stuck with it, but he ran off to the beach instead.

That's right, I forgot about that!  Man, that would have been awesome!!!  Denny was supposed to sing that song!!!!

Sail On Sailor might be their greatest song.... which is saying a lot, sure.  But damn if that song doesn't get me right now.  I so absolutely love Brian's lead on 50 Live.

Afro

Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 10:11:41 PM »

It'd be really interesting to hear a Dennis lead from '73-'75. There's still a shred of hope this'll happen as "My Love Lives On" was worked on in 1973 and 1974 but I'm not aware when (or if) the lead vocal was recorded.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 10:28:05 PM »

It'd be really interesting to hear a Dennis lead from '73-'75. There's still a shred of hope this'll happen as "My Love Lives On" was worked on in 1973 and 1974 but I'm not aware when (or if) the lead vocal was recorded.

Well, there is a live "In The Back Of My Mind" from 1975 where Denny does the lead. Does that count? Or are we only talking studio leads? Or even narrower, just released stuff?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 10:33:58 PM »

Well, after Blondie was finished laying down his vocal track, Murry happened to hear the recording. Fearing that Blondie sounded too grown up, he decided to sweeten his vocals and sped them up.

It's okay, though, as Blondie says he actually prefers this versioin.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 10:46:22 PM »

Well, there is a live "In The Back Of My Mind" from 1975 where Denny does the lead. Does that count? Or are we only talking studio leads? Or even narrower, just released stuff?

I was talking about studio leads. Denny's voice sounds 80% of the way to what it was on 15 Big Ones on that live version of "In the Back of My Mind", was it recorded late 1975?

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 10:56:28 PM »

I was talking about studio leads. Denny's voice sounds 80% of the way to what it was on 15 Big Ones on that live version of "In the Back of My Mind", was it recorded late 1975?

Jeez. I don't know exactly when that one was recorded. I think it was summer 1975 though. But I'm honestly not sure.

Keep in mind the though, on "Brian's Tune" (also known as "Rollin' Up to Heaven") a part that sounds like him is pretty audible, and he sounds pretty much exactly like the late '70s Dennis.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 11:12:32 PM »

He did not like Holland. Brian was having problems there and Dennis was upset by how it was being treated. Granted he could have overdubbed leads back in L.A. but Carl sang Only With You in 1972 so Dennis probably just wrote it for Carl's voice ala San Miguel

tbh I think Carl himself, or anybody in the group, could've sung San Miguel better. Also the mixing is abhorring. Squandered song imo-..
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 11:23:25 PM »

No Dennis lead vocals from this period? 'The rain is fallin' down on me/My legs are growing cold/My eyes are getting tired/I guess i wont grow old'.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 11:37:16 PM »

"Barnyard Blues" on the upcoming box is probably going to be another interesting one. The original piano demo was cut by Dennis in '71, but there's also a studio version circa '73/'74 that, IIRC, features Dennis, Carl and Ricky on vocals.

No idea where the particular version on the box dates from, but this may indeed be another chance to hear DW's voice in a 1974 studio setting.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 12:33:16 AM »

Can't forget Denny is also the most prominent in the BG's in Streamboat. "Don't worry Mr. Fulton".  Cool Guy Cool Guy Cool Guy Smokin Smokin Smokin Smokin

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 01:43:37 AM »

Can't forget Denny is also the most prominent in the BG's in Streamboat. "Don't worry Mr. Fulton".  Cool Guy Cool Guy Cool Guy Smokin Smokin Smokin Smokin

Was going to post this. I believe he does the bass vocals, too. Such a great song and it should have been on MIC.

Dennis sings the last part of the live version of Only With You from 1972, too (which WILL be on the box set).
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 01:59:42 AM »

tbh I think Carl himself, or anybody in the group, could've sung San Miguel better. Also the mixing is abhorring. Squandered song imo-..

How is the mix abhorring? If you meant it's abhorrent, then yeah, I'd have to agree. The lead vocal is painfully distant and while those castanets could've been an eclectic addition to the song, they sound WAY too loud, really grating.

"A/S/L"?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx