gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 10:50:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Cory Wells of Three Dog Night/Redwood  (Read 2565 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2015, 12:50:33 PM »

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/cory-wells-dies/

Infamous BB connection but Mods feel free to move this. Three Dog Night was a favorite band. Sad to hear this news.

From CNN:   http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/21/entertainment/three-dog-night-cory-wells-dead-feat/index.html

Cory Wells, one of the lead singers in the popular '60s and '70s band Three Dog Night, has died, the band said Wednesday.

"It is with deep sadness and disbelief that I must report the passing of Cory Wells, my beloved bandmate for over 45 years," said fellow Three Dog Night singer Danny Hutton in a statement on the band's website, threedognight.com. "Cory was like a brother in so many ways. We had been together since 1965 and I am in shock at this sudden loss."

Wells, 74, a native of Buffalo, New York, died Tuesday at his home in Dunkirk, about an hour southwest of his hometown.

He left the band last month when he developed severe back pain, the band said in the statement. The band postponed several shows because of his ailment.

At one point in the early 1970s, Three Dog Night was perhaps the most popular band in the United States. The group had three No. 1 singles -- "Mama Told Me (Not to Come)," "Joy to the World" and "Black and White" -- and seven other Top 10 hits, Including "One," "An Old Fashioned Love Song" and "Never Been to Spain." "Joy to the World" was Billboard's No. 1 song of the year in 1971.

The band also had 12 gold albums.

Three Dog Night was distinctive for having three lead singers: Wells, Hutton and Chuck Negron. They drew from a variety of influences, Wells and Hutton told CNN in 2004.

"I loved Little Richard. ... And folkie-Celtic European kinds of things," the Ireland-born Hutton said.

"I was a big fan of black gospel," added Wells. "As a kid there were black groups I sang with from my teen years to my early 20s."

That breadth allowed them to draw from many sources. In its prime, Three Dog Night was known for spotlighting then little-known or rising songwriters, including Randy Newman ("Mama Told Me"), Harry Nilsson ("One"), Laura Nyro ("Eli's Coming"), Hoyt Axton ("Joy to the World") and Leo Sayer ("The Show Must Go On").

"Our focus was on good music, instead of a theme," Hutton said. "The songs came from everywhere -- demos that came in, friends."

Negron left the band in 1977, and Wells and Hutton embarked on other things. For a time, Wells said, he lived in famed arranger Nelson Riddle's old house, getting the place over a rival when Riddle told the real estate agent, "Sell it to the musician."

Wells was born Emil Lewandowski on February 2, 1941. An Air Force veteran, he formed rock bands after his service in the early '60s and eventually moved to Los Angeles, where he met Hutton, then a solo singer.

The group's success with singles sometimes led critics to be dismissive. (Three Dog Night is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.) But, Wells told CNN, it was record buyers who made the individual songs popular.

"We never released a single. We released albums," he said. "The public picked the singles."

Wells is survived by Mary, his wife of 50 years, two daughters and five grandchildren.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 05:44:07 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 12:57:30 PM »

Oh, shame. They were a great group.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 01:31:36 PM »

NOT the kind of news I like to hear.  3 Dog Night meant something to me right from their excellent debut hit 'One' on...  I worked with Danny and Cory [no Chuck] back in the mid 80s.  Spent several days at it.  Although it was Danny and I together for the most part...interviews, a live radio show and then the performances at the Imperial Room/Royal York Hotel...Cory was certainly there, participating, talented and quite a decent fella.  I too was a fan.  Right from the first album on...which was pretty much their 'show' at the time.  Captured Live at the Forum followed.  Those boys could [also] sing.  Seems I like good vocals.  Who knew? Huh
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:36:41 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 02:03:01 PM »

Bummer. Cory had a great voice and was the soul of Three Dog Night. Saw them when they reunited in the early 80's a few times and really glad I did. Great band, great songs, great singing. Think I'll listen to their version of Time To Get Alone right now.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 02:21:31 PM »

I saw them in 83 and 84, all 3 guys, and again in 95, just Cory and Danny. It was still a great show, though, easy to forget how many hits they had back in the day.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 04:43:36 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cqBvxvE5SNo

"Time to Get Alone", when they were Redwood, produced by Brian I believe.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 08:43:58 PM »

Such a shame.  He had a great voice and was my favorite "Dog".  Sad
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 11:06:48 PM »

Such a shame.  He had a great voice and was my favorite "Dog".  Sad
From what I have read, Cory was the most grounded of the Three. Never got into drugs and all that. So he goes first? Does not make any sense to me.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 02:21:01 AM »

Apparently, Cory had been battling cancer. I wonder if Brian is still in touch with Danny?

Quite a good article here on Cory, his life, last days and career:

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/chautauqua-county/rock-star-cory-wells-was-fighting-cancer-apparently-died-of-infection-family-says-20151023
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 02:26:41 AM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 02:30:20 AM »

Jimmy Greenspoon was diagnosed with the very same cancer in September of last year.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 06:01:44 PM »

Posted by Brian on his Facebook page:

"Cory was one of the nicest guys and greatest singers I have ever heard. He was especially great on "Mama Told Me (Not to Come)." I will miss him very much. My sincerest condolences go to Danny and Cory's families. Love & Mercy, Brian"

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 11:52:10 AM »

Mike also posted on his Facebook page:

We lost a great musician and a special friend. RIP Cory, you will be missed! My thoughts and prayers are with your family and friends...your contribution to American music will live on forever. Simply put, you brought "Joy to the World!"
 Peace and Love,
 ML

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx