gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:38:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate "The Beach Boys In Concert"
5 - 37 (86%)
4 - 4 (9.3%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (2.3%)
0 - 1 (2.3%)
Total Voters: 39

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys In Concert - Ian Rusten & Jon Stebbins  (Read 43035 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2015, 10:24:46 PM »

I know I'm late to the party, but I recently purchased and finished reading this book. It is outstanding! If you are a member on this forum and you don't own the book, you are really missing out on this comprehensive history of the band. As Lonely Summer points out, I would have liked the post-1985 years to be a bit more comprehensive (at least through Carl's last shows). I don't know if that was due to space limitations (certainly the first 25 years of the band are most interesting) or lack of available information, but that might be something for an updated version.

One correction, the show on November 6, 1997, is listed as being played at Van Endel, Grand Rapid MI [w/Chicago]. It is actually Van Andel Arena (https://vanandelarena.com/). It is important to note that it is Van Andel Arena, as many things are named after the Van Andel family in Grand Rapids, Michigan, due to the late Jay Van Andel being the co-founder of Amway and one of the most prolific philanthropists in the region.

5 stars - highly recommend!
Not nearly enough people have read this book. I have yet to see it in any book store. Best book on the band - as opposed to just Brian.
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2015, 02:54:54 PM »

FYI ~ Coming Soon ~

NEW Beach Boys Book • New Podcast with the author

The Book  ~  They were almost The Pendletones—after the Pendleton wool shirts favored on chilly nights at the beach—then The Surfers, before being named The Beach Boys. But what separated them from every other teenage garage band with no musical training? They had raw talent, persistence and a wellspring of creativity that launched them on a legendary career now in its sixth decade.

Following the musical vision of Brian Wilson, the Beach Boys blended ethereal vocal harmonies, searing electric guitars and lush arrangements into one of the most distinctive sounds in the history of popular music. Drawing on original interviews and newly uncovered documents, this book untangles the band’s convoluted early history and tells the story of how five boys from California formed America’s greatest rock ’n’ roll band.

The Author ~ James B. Murphy is a companion animal veterinarian in Washington, D.C. He lives in Bowie, Maryland. 

COMING SOON!
Exclusive live interview with James B. Murphy

Phil Miglioratti and Jim Murphy discuss his lifelong love of the Beach Boys and his almost decade long research and writing that have resulted in one of the most thoroughly documented books on the critical people, places, and events in the launching and stardom of American's favorite band.

Sample question  ~  Twenty-four chronological chapters, a nineteen page Coda devoted to examining the Hite Morgan Tapes, a dozen Appendices (including the floor plan of CANDIX Enterprises!), twenty-one pages of chapter footnotes (a whopping total of 1005 to be exact) five pages of bibliography (including Hawthorne High yearbooks plus audio-radio-video programs) and an exhaustive Index, all adding up to 422 pages of bordering on fine print sized font lettering! ...   Jim, describe your process of finding source material, identifying eye-witness or real-time persons to interview and how you found them. It looks to me that this back-story may be almost as interesting as the insights you gleaned from the people and the archival material.

[http://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.com/2015/08/new-beach-boys-book-new-podcast-with.html]

rogerlancelot
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2016, 06:26:50 PM »

5 without a doubt. The best reference book I own on the Beach Boys. I've had it since late February and keep meaning to review it here but so many things have happened since then. Outstanding job by Ian & Jon!

By the way, who could possibly have voted a 1 or 0 on this?
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2016, 03:43:28 PM »

I keep it right by my desk to reference (and study when I have the time).  I never did a flat out review, but have spoken of it in posts.  A beautifully researched and written book.  And of course Ian is always adding things to posts here as he finds new stuff.  I've never asked, since they are both researchers, but always thought Ian was doing the concerts and Jon, the history portion.  Could be wrong.  Gets a 5 from me.  If I recall correctly, Ian was hinting in one of his posts, it may already be out of print.  Get one while you can.  Don't just wait for a possible second printing, or the price to go out of control.

Edit:  There it is.  I got to my 1000 post!  Took me near 2 1/2 years.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 03:52:22 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2016, 05:13:27 PM »

we wrote it a chapter at a time together based on my previous research. We initially planned to have the history open each chapter but the publisher (to keep the page count lower) opted to run it as a sidebar next to the listings. We also utilized a lot of interviews we did with dave marks, bobby Figueroa, Fred vail, Dennis dragon, Daryl dragon, chip Rachlin and many others.  I wanted to include many more photos but such is the publishing game.  I also was prepared to fully write up the concerts for at least 1986 to 1993 but owing again to page count limits post 1986 became more of a list
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2016, 05:39:53 PM »

The Half-Price Books chain has had some copies of this great book on display recently. Every fan of the band should own this great book!
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2016, 10:31:09 PM »

" Every fan of the band should own this great book!"

Absolutely ... which is why I was grateful to both Ian and Jon for the interviews they did with me when the book was released;

Mega thanks to you both!

Phil

http://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/podcast-researching-legacy-of-beach-boys.html

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2016, 08:53:35 AM »

we wrote it a chapter at a time together based on my previous research. We initially planned to have the history open each chapter but the publisher (to keep the page count lower) opted to run it as a sidebar next to the listings. We also utilized a lot of interviews we did with dave marks, bobby Figueroa, Fred vail, Dennis dragon, Daryl dragon, chip Rachlin and many others.  I wanted to include many more photos but such is the publishing game.  I also was prepared to fully write up the concerts for at least 1986 to 1993 but owing again to page count limits post 1986 became more of a list

Ian,  Thanks for the clarification.  For one reason or another, I don't own every Beach Boys book.  Some of them I only heard about after I joined Smiley, some I read but do not buy.  Researchers must hate to hear that.  In Concert is a very special book.  When it first came out, I posted to you the difficulty in finding it in stores in my part of the planet.  I waited a month, trying to find it in a store, before having Amazon ship it to me.  My brother wrote a book.  Took him three years to write and get it published.  So I know a bit from him how hard it is to do.  Second printings, even harder.  If Jon ever puts out the Dennis book again, I will buy it.  I only have his FAQ book.  His books don't cover music from the point of view of concerts and set lists.  More on the history of the members.  That's why I figured he was mostly involved in the history portion.  Your In Concert book is really two books rolled into one.  You seem to specialize in the concert area.  You talk about it here all the time.  I have a lot of respect for your research.  Glad to know you are part of the history portion of the book.

I think this might be a good place to comment on set lists, from my point of view.  As soon as I started reading here at Smiley, I learned quick that a song in a set list needs to be verified.  Newspaper reviews don't usually give complete set lists, especially not the old concerts.  Many of the newspaper cats don't even know what a deep cut is, they are just doin' their job.  They can make a list of what the band played (the hits) while sitting in the bar, or chatting-up someone in the back of the auditorium.  They don't have to be watching the show to know that some hits will be played.  If you recall, I asked you about more (verified) information on a very special show I was at, U. C. Davis in 1981.  How often do you see a show with The Honeys as the opening act?  Yes, I said The Honeys.  That's what they were calling themselves, and that's what they called themselves when they released their next album.  With Ginger, that is their name, not American Spring.  One of the fans/collectors (mfp) here sent me a couple of the reviews from the show, possibly the same two you mentioned in your reply to me.  One of them trashed The Honeys, and listed that the boys played some of the hits.  What a revelation.  He didn't even mention that the girls came out to sing with the band.  Of course now, all you have to do is aim a phone toward the stage - record all or a bit of each song, and instant set list.  In the old days, you had to take a pen and paper.  And I don't recall seeing a member of the band handing a printed list to a fan from the stage, not too often.  I don't think they always had them.  Why would Carl make lists on his hands if they did?  In the excitement of the shows, you had to make notes.  Sometimes while standing in a shed, or in a field - you know the drill, rain or shine, whatever condition your condition was in.  But, even with the notes, you don't have the verification.  I do understand why a member here would want that.  The Beach Boys played songs that were rarely played.  That is a fact you would agree with.  Anyone who saw them over a number of years have memories of songs that just shocked you when they were played.  My concert years span the two Winterland shows in 1973 thru my last, in Concord, California in 1994.  When I first heard you were going to put out this book I had high hopes you would focus on just this kind of thing.  Brian banging out a bit of "It's Just a Matter of Time" as a tag in 1979 (Brian liked to doddle between songs too, I was always close enough to hear his piano), Al adding "Pitter Patter" during his mini-set in 1981 at Circle Star.  I've seen others, but will only mention those two as examples.  I mentioned "Pitter Patter" in a post here.  It was immediately questioned by Jay.  A few weeks later it was brought up again in a thread about rarely played songs.  Someone asked, "Who said "Pitter Patter" was ever played?"  Other than seeing it, I have no verification.  Ask Al next time you see him.  I didn't take the time to comment.  I don't like to argue.

I wish you the best of luck with your research and getting a second printing of this wonderful book (was I right about you saying it is out of print?).  You, and Jon, should be very proud of it.

-Will   

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2016, 09:54:22 AM »

Glad you liked it so much.  Yes-I agree it is hard to find set lists sometimes-if the reviewer didn't mention what was played (and in early 60s reviews-the reviewers often had no idea about the music and would just make up titles-like "they played a song called 'Everyone's Surfing').  Eric's set list site is great for that-though of course sometimes a contributor's memory makes me a little suspicious.  But I do have more set lists than I used of course (I possess in my humble opinion the best collection of newspaper articles/reviews of the BBs in the world!!! Cheesy
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2016, 11:14:33 AM »

Five stars are not enough for this book!  Grin This is one of those books that take a few weeks and several reads to get all the little pieces of info. To be honest, this book makes for a very frustrating read at times. But this is not meant as a criticism of the book itself at all. I simply mean that as a fan, it's very frustrating and maddening to read about the group struggling for years, wanting to play their new material for "fans" who had absolutely no interest, only to slowly turn into basically an oldies act. The group had soared to amazing new heights in the early 1970's. It's a bit sad to read about the state they were in, only a few short years later.  But I reiterate, this is not meant to criticise Ian and Jon's work. The phrase "labor of love" may be a cliche, but it fits in this occasion. This is truly an extrordinary book. I only wish that a set list for the August 8th, 1992 show at Blossom would have been provided. This was my very first concert. I was seven at the time, and unfortunately remember almost nothing. To read exactly what was performed that night would have been interesting to me.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2016, 08:51:55 AM »

I have a review of that show but it doesn't give a full set list but I am fairly certain the set was about the same in other shows on that tour
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2016, 12:16:38 PM »

Five stars are not enough for this book!  Grin This is one of those books that take a few weeks and several reads to get all the little pieces of info. To be honest, this book makes for a very frustrating read at times. But this is not meant as a criticism of the book itself at all. I simply mean that as a fan, it's very frustrating and maddening to read about the group struggling for years, wanting to play their new material for "fans" who had absolutely no interest, only to slowly turn into basically an oldies act. The group had soared to amazing new heights in the early 1970's. It's a bit sad to read about the state they were in, only a few short years later.  But I reiterate, this is not meant to criticise Ian and Jon's work. The phrase "labor of love" may be a cliche, but it fits in this occasion. This is truly an extrordinary book. I only wish that a set list for the August 8th, 1992 show at Blossom would have been provided. This was my very first concert. I was seven at the time, and unfortunately remember almost nothing. To read exactly what was performed that night would have been interesting to me.
Yes, it IS frustrating to read how, time after time, the fans were unresponsive to the new material in the early 70's. Even before Endless Summer came out, there was a large group of fans that only wanted to hear the old stuff. I need a time machine to go back to that era - those fans didn't know how lucky they were, to view a group that was still creating great new music.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2018, 06:37:24 PM »

Noticed that I hadn't voted in this poll. Took care of that today.
I gave it a 5.

I have three big books on the table next to my favorite chair - a Bible, an annotated version of Sense and Sensibility that I'm slowly making my way through, and this book.

A wonderful reference when those crazy Beach Boys questions pop into my old head. I also like to open the book at random and never cease to be entertained and educated.

Great resource!

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2018, 07:21:37 PM »

Some intimidating company! Glad you liked the book
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2018, 05:28:43 PM »

Should note here that on my website beachboysgigs.com you can look at an additions/corrections blog for this book. It is on the menu to the right
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2019, 06:04:55 AM »

Have this on order. Can’t wait to check it out!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 07:15:52 AM by humanoidboogie » Logged
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2019, 05:17:36 AM »

... and it has arrived. What a magnificent piece of work this is! Some absolutely stellar detective work. Well done, Ian and Jon! So far I've only skimmed through it and it'll take some time to read it all, but I'm looking forward to it.

One tiny thing, though: for the Swedish shows, "Konserthuset" is spelled "Koncerthuset" throughout. Also, the entry for the November 3, 1966 show in Denmark reads "Falkoner Centret, Torsdagm, Denmark" (an error also appearing in Badman's book). There is no place called "Torsdagm" in Denmark. I believe this is some kind of translation error or misunderstanding as "Torsdag" is the Danish word for "Thursday" –– which was the day of the week the concert was performed. Minor quibbles, I know, but just thought I'd throw it out there. Smiley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2020, 11:19:02 AM »

Thanks....I appreciate it. Errors creep in-but I went out of my way to learn as much as I could. If you look at badman’s book he has many, many errors of date, venue, etc. I worked real hard to learn the specific dates and venues (including writing to libraries in Germany, Sweden and Denmark to obtain any ads/reviews they could find-of course my German is poor and I don’t speak Swedish or Danish so I had to find fellow fans to translate the articles. Nonetheless errors still occur
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx