gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:43:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate "The Beach Boys In Concert"
5 - 37 (86%)
4 - 4 (9.3%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (2.3%)
0 - 1 (2.3%)
Total Voters: 39

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys In Concert - Ian Rusten & Jon Stebbins  (Read 43037 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 04:05:20 PM »

yeah...We originally wrote it so that the margin material would be sort of intro chapters for each year-but the book would have been way too many pages-so the publisher put it all together on the same pages.  I was unsure at first-but I think it works well now.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 12:40:49 PM »

A most impressive effort (the research alone!) and a beautiful item in itself. The fact that Rusten & Stebbins had to heavily rely on amateur/private photos and material from various University and city archives makes it even more special, giving it a distinct underground/indie/unofficial kind of vibe (in the best sense of the word). The Beach Boys In Concert is instantly recognisable as a labour of love for both authors. Probably one of the best BBs books out there. (I've been thumbing through it, looking at the pictures and reading bits and pieces of it here and there. Only today I started reading it from cover to cover, but that's probably gooing to take a couple of weeks...) 3D Outstanding job, you 2!

I hope it's okay (I had asked for permission earlier in this thread) to post a quick impression of the book. If it's not okay with Ian & Jon I'll take it down immediately. Wink
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 02:02:40 PM »

I'm glad you liked it!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2013, 01:39:20 AM »

Lowbacca pretty much describes how I feel about this book. In fact, the moment I had this book in my hands, I did exactly the same, going back and forth... and back and forth again, through this book. Immediately searching for info and stories on specific concerts, then checking all pics from the early 70ies, reading about Carl's last shows with the group in 1997, then going back to look for info on Dutch concerts, etc. etc. I simply didn't know where to start, so much I want to read about.
It took me weeks to finally start reading this book in chronological order !  Over 400 pages !! This one will keep me occupied for a while.

This book is indeed a labour of love, made "for" and "by" the fans. The biggest fans obviously being Ian and Jon for their endless and seemingly effortless work they have done these last couple of years. But don't forget the support many fans gave them (a lot of them being a member on this board!). On one of the first pages you'll notice a long list of acknowledgements. And that says a lot about not only how thorough Ian and Jon did their research, getting this book as accurate as it is, but also how much others wanted to help them out providing them with the best and most trustworthy information available. This is what makes this book so special. Ian and Jon, you can be really proud of the results.

And on a personal note: thanks for sending me a copy of this book, and the nice words you wrote to me, Ian. It means a lot to me. Great to see my name listed amongst all those other fans that helped out, even though it feels like my contributions were only minimal. Brings back good memories, reading back some of the translations I made of Dutch articles while on vacation in Italy last year...

If you haven't bought this book yet, BUY IT !  You won't regret it, I promise.  Smiley

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2013, 12:28:07 AM »

Great book, however, just noticed something...

Page 380  - 6th November 2004 Blackpool Opera House. It was a Saturday gig  not a Friday, that means the days  for the UK tour are out by a day. Haven't checked the rest to see if it continues.

Page 382 - 12th April 2008 Manchester Apollo. Again this was a Saturday show, not a Thursday. Sorry to be pain but I know this as I met my wife on this night for the first time after the show...

Edit: Just checked the other "selected dates" and there appears to be quite a few where the day is wrong?

Well done Guys! 5 outta 5  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:58:38 PM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 10:02:31 AM »

Thanks for the kind words. I certainly regret those kind of errors. I do appreciate you pointing it out, as I am making a list of mistakes.
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2013, 07:48:59 PM »

Is that really Carl Wilson in that picture on page 373? The bearded guy to the right looks nothing like him.

Love the book--it's kept me busy through the last few weeks and I love the rare pics.

Solid 5.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »

Yeah that is a sad pic to look at
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 10:14:04 AM »

It's a hands down 5 star book. I picked mine up from the post office yesterday morning and I was VERY tempted to call in sick so I could spend all day reading it. After a while it does get boring always seeing the same old Beach Boys photos so to have so many new rare and unseen photos in one place is fantastic!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 10:17:33 AM »

Glad you liked it
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 09:16:13 AM »

Reading and thoroughly enjoying my tour through Beach Boy concert dates in 1966 and I read about their show at Yankee Stadium on 6/10/66. The Boys performed on a ticket with Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, the Guess Who, the Byrds, the Marvelettes, among others and draw a paltry 9,000 fans?!? The comment reads for this show reads, in part:

"...only 9,000 attended this show due to heavy rain. Joe Cohen of Variety theorized that teens might also have been saving their money for the upcoming Beatles show at Shea Stadium"

I was taken aback by this comment as the Beatles were the first major act to perform in a large stadium (or so I thought). Further research shows that The Beatles played at Shea on 8/15/65, about 10 months prior to this show at Yankee Stadium. Is this is mistake on Joe Cohen of Variety's part or did The Beatles play a 2nd show at Shea? I'm confused....
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 11:43:35 AM »

Hi, Glad you liked the book.  Happily, for once I did not make a mistake.  Yes-the Beatles returned to Shea for a second time on their 1966 tour.  It didn't get as much publicity as the 65 appearance-which was filmed.
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2013, 11:47:09 AM »

Thanks Ian! A simple google search would have revealed that info to me...sorry for the bother...interesting to read this:

"A little over a year after their first triumphant appearance at New York's Shea Stadium, The Beatles returned for a second time.

The concert did not sell out, with 11,000 of the 55,600 tickets still available."

It is hard to fathom these lack of sellouts in today's day and age where everyone seems to be anxious to score tickets to the next big sporting event or concert using presales and the like (including me to see Brian Wilson & Jeff Beck in Philly in October!)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 07:07:43 PM »

right....It was a very different time.  And-bands toured so much that fans didn't see it as such a big event.  Even the Beatles...had played in NY every 12 months or so in the previous three years (little did NY fans know that it would be the last chance to see the band play)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2013, 02:29:41 PM »

I thought I should present a few updates I've learned of since the book came out-(all of which can be viewed at AGD's Gigs/Sessions section of Bellagio)

July 3 1962-Dykstra Hall Cafeteria, UCLA (I didn't have a date for this before-though we mention it in the other gigs played section of 1962)
Sept 27 1962-The Row, USC Campus  (USC just digitized their student paper and this turned up)
Apr 8 1975-University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA  (Just found an ad)
Jan 18 1981-Selland Arena, Fresno, CA  (Just learned)
Feb 26 1982-Community Center Arena, Tucson, AZ (just learned)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2013, 07:31:45 PM »

Not a review but a question on something which just came up this afternoon:

What do you make of this June 1966 letter where Brian says he was flying to New York to meet with Ed Sullivan about an appearance on his show? Obviously it never happened, after 64 they were back in 68...any ideas as to what happened? Or what could have been planned around this?

http://www.backstageauctions.com/catalog/pop.php?image=/catphotos/17596_ss.jpg
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:32:39 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2013, 04:40:29 AM »

The letter is interesting IF AUTHENTIC but that pic doesn't look like Dennis at all-he was not so juvenile looking even in 62 let alone in 66.  So I have major doubts.  But Brian was leader of the band and did go to meetings with people-we have paperwork about his plans to go to England in 66 for meetings-though in the end he didn't get over there.  He might have gone to NY in 66 though I am not aware of it.  The letter would make more sense in 65-when Brian did go to NY to do the Sulliivan show with the BBs-but ultimately the show ran late and the BBs got bumped (I got this info from Ron Swallow-who was with them on that May tour).   If your wondering about Brian being less than faithful in marriage-he was a rock star-so I wouldn't be surprised. We all know these guys were not saints.  But I don't think it is legit-based on photo
Ian
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2014, 11:59:46 AM »

Thought I'd add more additions since the book-since I have done it before (add em in pencil to your copy)
May 10 1966-Notre Dame University, South Bend, IN
Nov 28 1969-Municipal Auditorium, Kansas City, MO-with the Underground Sunshine
Oct 26 1980-Metra Arena, Billings, MT
Oct 8 1984-Fresno County Fair, Fresno, CA (2 shows at 5 and 8 PM)
Feb 2 1986-Kelloggs Center, Battle Creek, MI
Aug 9 1986-Jackson County Fair, Jackson, MI

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2014, 11:13:34 PM »

Finished reading the book last night,   and it is amazing the amount of research the authors put into this. Really puts the microscope on those early years, where you can see them quickly go from being just kids singing at home, to a working, touring band. The focus of this book is unique - most books are about the recording side much more than the live performing. What this means is that there are large chunks of this book where Brian is not the central figure. I was surprised at how early on he started missing gigs; and of course he's barely a factor in the much loved "progressive" years 1968-75. Also very surprised to read how much resistance there was from the audiences to the newer material circa 71-73. Those are shows that most of us hardcores would love to have seen. The book is very thorough and comprehensive up to 1985; sadly, after that, it's little more than just a list of shows played. I would've liked more info on the later years, but glad the authors didn't arbitrarily just cut it off at, say, 1977 (like Badman's book). Many wonderful "new" photos.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 02:11:24 PM by Lonely Summer » Logged
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2014, 06:28:57 PM »

Thanks for the kind words. I certainly regret those kind of errors. I do appreciate you pointing it out, as I am making a list of mistakes.

Hi Ian,

I'm not sure if this one's been pointed out yet, but if not...

The book mentions that one of the canceled "Maharishi Tour" gigs was a show that was supposed to take place on May 11th of '68 at the *Richfield Coliseum in Cleveland Ohio* (page 105). The Coliseum didn't even open until October of 1974 [ground was broken in Richfield, OH in early '73...about 25 miles from downtown Cleveland], so perhaps the show was actually slated for another venue in '68? Smiley

IIRC, this same bit of info also appeared in David Beard's Goldmine article on the tour.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2014, 05:03:04 PM »

Yeah someone else pointed that out. I tried to be 100 accurate but clearly mistakes slipped in. By the way the reasons Dave had the same error is that he copied that info from bellagio and I compiled all the gig info on agd's site. Difference between the site and book is that I can update the site
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2014, 06:15:01 AM »

Thank you, gentlemen, for many, many hours of reading pleasure. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2014, 07:18:16 AM »

Glad you liked it
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2015, 06:58:01 AM »

Most certainly on my wishlist. Looks fantastic.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2015, 05:53:41 AM »

I know I'm late to the party, but I recently purchased and finished reading this book. It is outstanding! If you are a member on this forum and you don't own the book, you are really missing out on this comprehensive history of the band. As Lonely Summer points out, I would have liked the post-1985 years to be a bit more comprehensive (at least through Carl's last shows). I don't know if that was due to space limitations (certainly the first 25 years of the band are most interesting) or lack of available information, but that might be something for an updated version.

One correction, the show on November 6, 1997, is listed as being played at Van Endel, Grand Rapid MI [w/Chicago]. It is actually Van Andel Arena (https://vanandelarena.com/). It is important to note that it is Van Andel Arena, as many things are named after the Van Andel family in Grand Rapids, Michigan, due to the late Jay Van Andel being the co-founder of Amway and one of the most prolific philanthropists in the region.

5 stars - highly recommend!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx