gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:19:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate "The Beach Boys In Concert"
5 - 37 (86%)
4 - 4 (9.3%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (2.3%)
0 - 1 (2.3%)
Total Voters: 39

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys In Concert - Ian Rusten & Jon Stebbins  (Read 43066 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2013, 04:46:33 AM »

Discuss, review and rate The Beach Boys In Concert, released June 2013.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 01:53:03 PM »

Seriously? Somebody voted it a zero? Hard to believe they've actually seen it and don't like it...unless they don't like the Beach Boys, in which case why are they on this site voting? Weird.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 02:05:36 PM »

Probably just a sad troll, with too little time on his hands in between masturbation sessions.
MBE
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 02:11:07 PM »

I'd like to see Mr. Zero do a better job!
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 04:47:26 PM »

I gave it a 5. The book is amazing - I can't put it down. Great job guys!
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 05:42:01 PM »

Pray For Surf Podcasts ~

Two exclusive interviews, with Ian Rusten and Jon Stebbins, co-authors of The Beach Boys in Concert at: http://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.com/

They discuss the meticulous and relentless research process and share their views on the legacy of the Beach Boys. The story behind the stories in this amazing text book on the day-to-day, city-by-city, show-by-show history of the most amazing band in rock history.

You'll also find links to the Fred Vail interview.

Phil
PrayForSurfBlog.blogspot.com

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 07:38:26 PM »

Thanks Bill. Glad you liked it.  We worked pretty hard on it. Crazy that it's now out!
Ian
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 09:29:25 PM »

I must say....the authors are quick to pounce on other materials for inaccuracies yet have several of their own...but overall, hard to put down. Well done!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 04:34:48 PM »

Actually I've done many interviews lately and I've gone out of my way to praise keith badman.  As I said he was first and we built on his research. That being said the only inaccuracies i've heard about in our book are some misspelled names and saying berkeley is in san francisco but please do tell me if I have any major facts wrong. I don't think I do
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 04:53:29 PM »

By the way for those that wrote and asked me. Book will be carried by barnes and nobles.  They start selling it in stores next week. For some reason it was available on amazon earlier
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 07:32:45 PM »

Pretty sure Barnes & Noble will be stocking it tomorrow
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 01:24:32 PM »

Got mine over the weekend through Amazon.  Beautiflly presented, well done.  Weighs about 10 lbs., so plenty of information.  With the exception of the natural setlist mistake here or there, exceptional job.  Thanks for completing this, a great and needed addition to the BB's library.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 01:40:57 PM »

Glad you liked it. In case i ever update it what was the mistake in the set list?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 03:04:54 PM »

Glad you liked it. In case i ever update it what was the mistake in the set list?

May 27, 1989 in Costa Mesa.  The encore with Chicago kicked off with "Wishing You Were Here". Not trying to nit pick in the least, I can't begin to imagine to amount of research you had to do. I only know because I was there.  And, by the way, you got every other date/show I have ever been to  over the years correct

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 05:04:31 PM »

cool-Good to know.  We tried our best.  I'll note that correction down.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 08:48:53 PM »

And there's no such place as "Chicago University."

Not an inaccuracy, but a fun fact...the Joliet, Illinois concert in 1974 was cut short because a motorcycle gang started a riot.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 11:48:20 PM »

Not yet got the book, ordering it this weekend. Will be curious to see whether a mention is made of the impromptu gig they performed for patients whilst visiting Leeds General Infirmary in Yorkshire back in '67. And who was the delightful DJ over-seeing proceedings? Now then, now then, it was everyone's favourite television celebrity and psychopathic rapist: Sir Jimmy Savile OBE - God Bless 'im!
MBE
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 12:41:04 AM »

May 27, 1989 in Costa Mesa.  The encore with Chicago kicked off with "Wishing You Were Here". Not trying to nit pick in the least, I can't begin to imagine to amount of research you had to do. I only know because I was there.  And, by the way, you got every other date/show I have ever been to  over the years correct
I give them all the props. I guess a lot of us have seen shows or moments that only we know matter today. I mean, except for maybe the review the next day, the early boxset set I saw at the 1993 Poplar Creek Chicago area show has not been talked about since. I only wish I remembered to bring it up before the book came out to Jon or Ian directly. In 50 years of shows to get every set is impossible. Yet nothing of super import is missing-EVERY major piece of info is certainly here.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:43:54 AM by Mike Eder » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 04:08:21 AM »

Thanks Mike.  Disney Boy-the Leeds show is mentioned but it was in 1969 (June 8 to be exact) and that is where you'll find it.  But we cover all the British tours-hopefully well
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 12:07:14 PM »

Cool review of the book:

http://www.examiner.com/review/the-beach-boys-concert-is-bible-of-all-things-wilson
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 10:55:34 PM »

Thanks Mike.  Disney Boy-the Leeds show is mentioned but it was in 1969 (June 8 to be exact) and that is where you'll find it.  But we cover all the British tours-hopefully well

Ah, thanks for the info. And does Sir Jim get a mention??  Smiley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 05:47:43 AM »

For a quick review of the book here would it be 'okay' to post a couple of photos one has taken of the content (layout, photos, etc.)? I don't mean actual scans, but rather shots like this (random example):

beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »

My vote: 5 stars here and 5 stars on amazon.

By the way, what about those 1 and 2 stars votes?  Huh Cannot be serious.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 11:34:10 PM »

Thanks for that
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 03:50:15 PM »

I absolutely love it!!!!

So many great pictures and such great info!

One thing I particularly love is how you can almost read the book straight through twice: once reading the narrative in the margins of the pages and then again just reading the concert descriptions! Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx