gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:23:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate here..5 is highest

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Vibrations : My Life as a Beach Boy - by Mike Love  (Read 10815 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: October 20, 2016, 12:49:57 AM »

Rate and Review here.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 06:48:01 AM »

Definitive cover

Smb. review it here, not the main board's thread.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 09:38:50 AM »

Hope thi sis the coorect spot ...

Mark Dillion and I interviewed Mike's collaborator, Jim Hirsch.
  •How did Jim and Mike connect?
  •What did Jim learn/dig-out from his research and over 50 interviews for the book?
  •His perspective on the 50+ year "Cassius Love vs. Sonny Wilson" storyline.
  •Why did the 50th Reunion Tour really end?

http://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.com/2016/10/prayforsurf-interview-jim-hirsch-mike.html

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 10:13:18 AM »

I actually enjoyed this book. Some  may disagree with me but, for better or for worse, I felt Mike's sincerity and I feel like a  know him better (and a bit more charitably) than  I did before.
Lorren Daro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 08:58:33 PM »

Many of you know who I am. I just read what Mike Love wrote about me in his new biography and I must admit, although I have expressed my dislike for the man for many years, I must compliment him for writing the most factual and fair account of my relationship with Brian that has ever been written anywhere. Perhaps life has taught Mike a few things at this point, and being a fair (and old) man myself, I applaud his acting the same way. I didn't expect it, and I appreciate it.     Lorren Daro (Loren Schwartz, back in the day, and in Mike's book) lorrendaro@gmail.com
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 12:42:10 PM »

I just finished Mike's book yesterday. It was a really enjoyable read and I was quite impressed. He went into details of some issues that had maybe been glossed over before and gave his perspective. Overall, what i did take from the book is that Mike sure isn't shy about bragging of wealth, all the way from his childhood until present day. he also seems to justify all eras of the band and have no concept of what is bad taste (cheerleadres, sunkist sponsorship, Full House, "cute" kids on stage singing, etc.). I can see why he has had a hard time dealing with Brian getting so much credit, but he goes on about it so much, it's difficult not to hear it as sour grapes. How would The Beach Boys career have gone if Brian had a different lyricist? Probably not all that differently.

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 09:23:34 PM »

pretty nice audiobook apart from a few dickish comments and grumbling. GET OVER MIKE.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
KDS
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 08:43:29 AM »

I thought Mike's book was a very good read, and he did a good job telling the story of The Beach Boys. 

He may harp on some issues that have long since been resolved (ie. the song credit thing).  But to be honest, I can see why he'd be upset about not getting credit on those songs, and why he'd feel betrayed by his uncle and cousin. 

I thought he was complimentary towards the other bandmembers, Brian included. 

I can also see how Mike can feel a bit slighted by the hipsters crowd. 

A little TMI moment when he mentioned his encounter with Lorrie Morgan during the making of Stars and Stripes. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 09:02:53 AM »

I just finished Mike's book yesterday. It was a really enjoyable read and I was quite impressed. He went into details of some issues that had maybe been glossed over before and gave his perspective. Overall, what i did take from the book is that Mike sure isn't shy about bragging of wealth, all the way from his childhood until present day. he also seems to justify all eras of the band and have no concept of what is bad taste (cheerleadres, sunkist sponsorship, Full House, "cute" kids on stage singing, etc.). I can see why he has had a hard time dealing with Brian getting so much credit, but he goes on about it so much, it's difficult not to hear it as sour grapes. How would The Beach Boys career have gone if Brian had a different lyricist? Probably not all that differently.

One of the great conundrums about this band is the definition of "bad taste". The recent interviews suggest that Mike wears some of these items as badges of honor, while other fans disagree strongly. Will that ever be resolved? I noticed for one, the Sunkist and other sponsorships being celebrated as forward-thinking if not innovative by Mike's co-author, among others. If there is a case being made that something like "Be True To Your Bud" where a BB's classic was re-written and used as a campaign for Mike to tour college campuses with a beer sponsorship handing out lyric sheets for the frat brothers to sing along in the ode to Bud was a good decision that helped the legacy, that may say a lot about where some of the priorities may be sitting in 2016.

Sour grapes is an apt description. Gilding the lily may be another.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 09:05:41 AM »

Sour grapes: My Life as a BB..... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 12:20:22 PM »

I thought Mike's book was a very good read, and he did a good job telling the story of The Beach Boys.  

He may harp on some issues that have long since been resolved (ie. the song credit thing).  But to be honest, I can see why he'd be upset about not getting credit on those songs, and why he'd feel betrayed by his uncle and cousin.  

I thought he was complimentary towards the other bandmembers, Brian included.  

I can also see how Mike can feel a bit slighted by the hipsters crowd.  

A little TMI moment when he mentioned his encounter with Lorrie Morgan during the making of Stars and Stripes.  

I actually *can't* see why Mike is still that upset about the songwriting issue, in terms of present-day consternation. Why? Because everything about that case has been rectified as much as is humanly and legally possible, all in Mike's favor. Mike won the lawsuit over 20 years ago, got a pay-out and his name on the songs, and of course royalties going forward. Brian admitted to anyone and everyone that Mike wrote those lyrics. Other than Tony Asher questioning "Wouldn't It Be Nice" (and even then I don't think anyone was denying Mike wrote the four words in the playout, they were only questioning whether that warrants a co-write), nobody has questioned Mike's case.

I'll set aside any question of why Mike waited THREE DECADES to address the songwriting issue (I think there are some legit reasons someone wouldn't bring a valid case), and stipulate to the idea that Mike had a valid reason to be angry up to circa 1994 when the lawsuit was resolved.

But after that, and certainly nearly a quarter century *after* everything was rectified in his favor, his continued griping is 100% sour grapes and reeks of that (usually) old person we all know that reminds everybody of every bad thing that someone else did or that happened 50-plus years ago. That these complaints come from a guy that is rich as f**k, flaunts his wealth and happiness, just adds to the oddity of the whole thing.

As for the hipsters, the most telling thing about that factor is that Mike *won over* those hipsters in 2012 and then, upon ending the reunion, clearly showed that he gives precisely zero f**ks about having respect or "cred" from the music industry, or hipsters, or music critics, and has no interest in undoing his legacy in the band's history, as Howie Edelson put it, as a hun. Howie Edelson also put it best; Mike would rather be Lou Christie than Mick Jagger if it means being in charge of his own deal 100% and not having to answer for anything to Brian or Melinda or Al Jardine or anyone else.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 12:23:07 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NBC68
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 11:07:25 PM »

Well that was quick!

Already $7.99 each (or 2 for $15!)
zachrwolfe
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 06:35:27 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:22:38 PM by zatch » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 10:28:02 PM »

It's not bad as a mainstream biography; gives people all the dirt and disputes, all the personal stuff that big house publishers want. That's what I don't like about these types of biographies. I am more interested in how did they make the music; what brainstorms, roadblocks and other things occurred on the way to making the records. I really don't want to read about Manson ever again, and I would be more interested in reading Mike's take on why he couldn't follow up his crowning moment as a Beach Boy, Kokomo, than all the lawsuit stuff.
saborlord123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2020, 09:19:05 PM »

Just finished reading this book and enjoyed it thoroughly. I do wonder how much of it is accurate and some of it contradicts Brian's book, but whatever... Undecided
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 01:31:01 PM »

I'm just reminded the magic is in the music, not reading about it. No matter how many times Mike has been married and divorced, sabotaged his own career, all that recedes into the background when i hear those amazing songs he was a part of.
I think the next BB's bio should be titled "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx