gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:34:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My World Fell Down  (Read 8034 times)
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 05:28:49 PM »

I will. Thanks for the head's-up.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 09:19:28 PM »

So much vibrant overflowing creativity in that era. Where is it today?

In the underground.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 10:53:33 PM »

The Ivy Leagues original version of this is just as good...not an easy one to find on uk 45, must have flopped pretty badly.

Not quite - it doesn't have the 'bullfight' section. That seems to have been entirely Usher's creation (btw, I kept reading about his work with Simon & Garfunkel but couldn't find a single sleeve credit: then someone told me he helped assemble "Voices of Old People").
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 11:12:14 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 11:01:41 PM »

"it is a Smile drenched record that Brian would be flattered by if he never heard it."

I wonder what you mean by this?

Change never to ever. Used the wrong word.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 11:47:18 PM »

I went through a period of listening to My World Fell Down constantly for a few months. I'm interested in the two versions mentioned. I've only heard one.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2013, 01:47:08 AM »

The Ivy Leagues original version of this is just as good...not an easy one to find on uk 45, must have flopped pretty badly.

Not quite - it doesn't have the 'bullfight' section. That seems to have been entirely Usher's creation (btw, I kept reading about his work with Simon & Garfunkel but couldn't find a single sleeve credit: then someone told me he helped assemble "Voices of Old People").

Yeah, I knew he came up with that bit...but it's not an essential part of the track for me. I'm more familiar with the lp version too.

The Ivy League version is less expensive sounding, but has a great string arrangement. I was familiar with Sagittarius first, but now I just couldn't choose between them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W318IVEVGUU (didn't post it yesterday cos it's someone's memorial video, but it IS the right track)

This version- I can take or leave http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLjticVB_ns

RE: Gary Ushe/S+G...I wonder if he had anything to do with the synths on Bookends, if he was around at that time? That was recorded a little before 'Blue Marble', wasn't it?

PS- Blue Marble is one of the few times I found something in a charity shop that I had previously bid for and lost on ebay. 3/4 years ago, Oxfam, 10p (due to the vast quantity of records I was buying) mint in the shrink. Result!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2013, 08:21:48 AM »

My opinion of this song has changed just a bit. I think it's a neat tune, almost like a cool curiosity piece to play for people who have never heard it, but at the same time it has been sounding more and more contrived to my ears. I don't care for the term "sunshine pop" at all, so I rarely if ever use that tag on any music, but would a common term be "psychedelia" or "psychedelic" to describe My World Fell Down? Under that label, I think it sounds more like an effort to cash in on what was going on in some circles, with more musical knowledge, sophistication, and perhaps a bigger budget (?).

At the same time it feels like there may be a key element or two missing from what made certain records (IMO) truly psychedelic if we apply the literal definition of that term. Any band can apply certain effects or vocal tricks and have someone say "that's psychedelic", but when you listen to the real (intentional or unintentional) psychedelia - of course that will always be debated - you'll hear certain things both obvious and not which really define that category of music.

Going with the long version of this tune, the addition of a sound collage and bullfight noises does not make the tune psychedelic, nor do a series of very well done vocal harmonies.

Again, it's a cool song and a very well performed and produced one as well, but to borrow some of the vernacular, the song does not have the peak or the euphoric moment that some of the hallmark records of psychedelic music share. And if you need examples I'll throw out a few which could lead to some disagreements.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 08:32:13 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 08:51:54 AM »

My World Fell Down and Another Time are among the very best songs that anyone recorded in the 1960s, if you ask me. But most other songs on Present Tense and The Blue Marble are nowhere near as good as those two. There's some pretty cheesy stuff on those albums. And I really don't like Curt Boettcher's voice at all. Which is a shame, because he sang on some pretty good music throughout his career...
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 09:51:21 AM »

the song does not have the peak or the euphoric moment that some of the hallmark records of psychedelic music share. And if you need examples I'll throw out a few which could lead to some disagreements.
[/quote]

Please do!
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2013, 09:52:52 AM »

Question: How do you get the quote function here to work without quoting the entire post?
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 11:46:23 AM »

The first time I ever heard "My World Fell Down" was on Lenny Kaye's "Nuggets" collection on vinyl. I can't remember if it's the LP or 45 version of the song on that album. I wasn't that into the Beach Boys at the time, only having a greatest hits compilation, but I could definitely hear a Beach Boys' influence. I'm surprised it wasn't a bigger hit. It would have fit in with middle-of-the-road radio station music as well as Top 40.
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 12:12:39 PM »

The first time I ever heard "My World Fell Down" was on Lenny Kaye's "Nuggets" collection on vinyl.

Same here. It led me to seek out Present Tense (and, via that, Begin) and I am forever grateful. "Song to the Magic Frog" is my personal fave from PT. Excessively sugary, but appealingly so.
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 01:05:29 PM »

From Wikipedia:

"Psychedelia is a name given to the subculture of people who use psychedelic drugs, and a style of psychedelic artwork and psychedelic music derived from the experience of altered consciousness that uses highly distorted and surreal visuals, sound effects and reverberation, and bright colors and full spectrums and animation (including cartoons) to evoke and convey to a viewer or listener the artist's experience while using such drugs. The term "psychedelic" is derived from the Ancient Greek words psuchē (ψυχή - psyche, "mind") and dēlōsē (δήλωση - "manifest"), translating to "mind-manifesting".

A psychedelic experience is characterized by the striking perception of aspects of one's mind previously unknown, or by the creative exuberance of the mind liberated from its ostensibly ordinary fetters. Psychedelic states are an array of experiences including changes of perception such as hallucinations, synesthesia, altered states of awareness or focused consciousness, variation in thought patterns, trance or hypnotic states, mystical states, and other mind alterations. These processes can lead some people to experience changes in mental operation defining their self-identity (whether in momentary acuity or chronic development) different enough from their previous normal state that it can excite feelings of newly formed understanding ranging from revelation & enlightenment to the opposing polarity of confusion & psychosis."

Given the above, I'd say My World Fell Down meets the definition od Psychedelia. I don't hear the bullfight interlude working against the production at all. 
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 01:24:32 PM »

From Wikipedia:

"LSD is considered an entheogen because it can catalyze intense spiritual experiences, during which users may feel they have come into contact with a greater spiritual or cosmic order. Users claim to experience lucid sensations where they have "out of body" experiences. Some users report insights into the way the mind works, and some experience permanent shifts in their life perspective. LSD also allows users to view their life from an introspective point of view. Some users report using introspection to resolve unresolved or negative feelings towards an individual or incident that occurred in the past. Some users consider LSD a religious sacrament, or a powerful tool for access to the divine. Stanislav Grof has written that religious and mystical experiences observed during LSD sessions appear to be phenomenologically indistinguishable from similar descriptions in the sacred scriptures of the great religions of the world and the secret mystical texts of ancient civilizations.[40]"

Brian Wilson explains what's behind his musical new direction to journalist Tom Nolan sometime around November, 1966:

"About a year ago I had what I consider to be a very religious experience. I took LSD, a full dose of LSD, and later, another time, I took a smaller dose. And I learned a lot of things, like patience, understanding. I can't teach you, or tell you what I learned from taking it. But I consider it a very religious experience."
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 01:46:51 PM »

The first time I ever heard "My World Fell Down" was on Lenny Kaye's "Nuggets" collection on vinyl. I can't remember if it's the LP or 45 version of the song on that album. I wasn't that into the Beach Boys at the time, only having a greatest hits compilation, but I could definitely hear a Beach Boys' influence. I'm surprised it wasn't a bigger hit. It would have fit in with middle-of-the-road radio station music as well as Top 40.

That must be the first time I heard it as well -- No one replied to my earlier post so I looked it up and the cut is 3:52 which I think is the single version.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2013, 01:51:23 PM »

I'll have more later when I have more time...but where I'm going with this is that musically, anyone with a good ear for production would be able to recognize and adapt the characteristics of certain "psychedelic" records, and therefore add them to a bag of tricks so to speak if the psychedelic sound was required or requested on a project. It became like adding certain ingredients to a standard recipe in order to make it "Southwestern" or "Thai" or any number of cooking styles (and trends). You could put across to listeners that a standard pop song was psychedelic by adding a few signature sounds.

And remember this is just my opinion, I'm not trying to define a term or anything for posterity, just stating what I think is the difference between that kind of recipe-based psychedelia and the real thing.

And for me, a lot of the real psychedelia that came out of the mid to late 60's and into the 70's did not contain many of the sonic hallmarks or traits than many associate with the style, or genre if it can be called that. You could lay on a heavy fuzzed-out guitar line and some trippy vocals over a certain drumbeat and that may have worked for the soundtrack of a late 60's drive-in film or an episode of "Dragnet '68" when Sgt. Friday busts some LA club kids for dealing, but that doesn't mean it's the real psychedelia.

Again, I have some examples to consider, most from the mid to late 60s, but for now consider the overall ebb and flow of a song, the way the movements may work in and out of each other and when they do that, consider in some cases the lyrical content, and in others the way that flow of the song form coincides with certain instrumental parts morphing in sound or texture, and that's along the lines of what I'm thinking.

Taking one outside of the normal 65-69 time frame, listen specifically to Shuggie Otis' "Strawberry Letter 23", the original version by Shuggie himself. The final two minutes of that record contain some of the most stunning and beautiful (and euphoric) examples of psychedelia in popular music that I think exists, and it exists that way in support of the lyrics that had come before. And listen to the whole record including the lyrics and the way each section flows leading up to that climax. Whether Shuggie intended it to be psychedelic or not, that record is a masterpiece of what I'd call psychedelic pop. Feel free to disagree. Smiley

Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgokn6gppvA

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 02:45:47 PM »

I'm not looking to disagree guitarfool - I love it!
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 05:03:56 PM »

My World Fell Down and Another Time are among the very best songs that anyone recorded in the 1960s, if you ask me. But most other songs on Present Tense and The Blue Marble are nowhere near as good as those two. There's some pretty cheesy stuff on those albums. And I really don't like Curt Boettcher's voice at all. Which is a shame, because he sang on some pretty good music throughout his career...

You sure you're not talking about Gary Usher's voice? I've never heard anyone criticize Curt's pipes before, although I guess there's a first time for everything.

In response to what Craig was saying about the difference between psych-pop and "true" psychedelic music, I guess I find myself taking the opposite stance. I absolutely love it when straight pop music gets corrupted by sixties studio gimmickry! Of course there's some awful examples of this out there, which are often found on records that were produced by old-timers who were attempting to keep up with the trends of the day. I could probably throw out some examples of this if anyone was interested. But when the producer was truly dialed in, such as with Brian, Curt, Gary or Bones, the results could be otherworldly-- some of the most adventurous music to ever attain radio play, or at least attempt to. To me Present Tense, despite its pop trappings (or maybe because of them), is a thousand times more psychedelic than some throwaway LP by also-rans like Mother Earth or Autosalvage, despite the latter being "organic" and therefore "credible" with the Rolling Stone crowd. Meh, I say!  Tongue

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »

There is a strain of Orientalism in the psychedelic, most obviously in the parallel between the insights gained thru spiritual discipline and the chemically induced.  One example that has recently taken me by surprise is an arabesque-like figure buried in the fade out of Cabinessence.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2013, 10:58:10 PM »

You sure you're not talking about Gary Usher's voice? I've never heard anyone criticize Curt's pipes before, although I guess there's a first time for everything.
I have Boettcher's solo and Millennium stuff (despite his voice I do like a lot of the music that he sang on), so I guess I know what he sounds like. I think he just sounds a bit creepy and the lisping S's annoy me.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:09:02 PM by shelter » Logged
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2013, 03:36:57 AM »

Interestingly, that's almost the exact opposite of my feelings towards them. LOVE My World Fell Down, but it just feels out of place on the rest of the album- which is an all time favourite for me. Almost as incongruous as Heroes and Villains being on Smiley Smile.

RE: The 'what is psych' question- yeah, to me My World Fell Down isn't really psych. Personally I'm more than happy with the term sunshine pop. It neatly sums up that harmony based, mostly studio based pop very well.

However, THIS is psych...unquestionably

Sagittarius- truth is not real

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-mAh7HaZT0

as are:

Ballroom- baby please don't go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vq802VbyVQ

Tintern Abbey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3CgUX0ycV4

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2013, 04:35:09 AM »

Well, I generally love all the stuff Gary had a hand in during the latter 60s whether or not we call it sunshine pop, psychedelia, psych pop, soft pop or whatever. I would probably go for the former though - Jason's description of oldtimers trying their hand at the new sounds of the day seems pretty spot-on.  Cheesy

As much as I cherish My World Fell Down, I enjoy the Usher-produced Just One More Chance single by the Hondells even more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju-7jYJeoas

Oddly enough, this song was also originally recorded by a UK group and I guess then picked up by Gary & the Hondells. Perhaps inspired by the way Gary & co came across My World Fell Down?

Here's the UK version by the Outer Limits, - not bad either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usOGMJ-Bcrw

Gary & the Hondells also recorded a song called Yes to You in the same style, but I can't find it on youtube.... I think I've read that Curt Boettcher helped out on both sides...

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 04:40:55 AM by kwan_dk » Logged

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2013, 04:37:29 AM »

By the way, in line with this recent discussion on My World Fell Down / Curt B / Sunshine Pop, - some weeks ago a guy posted a message in the Spectropop group about a new forum solely dedicated to Sunshine Pop / Soft Pop. Might interest a number of members here. Find the forum at:

http://www.sunshinepopforum.com/

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2013, 08:35:52 AM »

I also discovered MWFD via the Nuggets psychedelic collection. I didn't like it overall (still don't), but the middle eight is real cool. Dig that sonic cacophony, especially short ceremony element. The lead vocal is Glen, no doubt. Don't know what is so unrecognizable about his voice. Advice to EgoHanger: listen to "Guess I'm Dumb" (very attentively), then come back to "...Fell Down", compare the 2 & you'll eventually see that the tone of the singer is the same. Generally, from technical point, Glen has an excellent voice with perfect pitch, diversity in range & vocal delivery. I'm glad that one time he was involved with The BBs.

About the genre of the song: I won't describe it as "psychedelia", because to me it's not enough whimsical, dark, outright bizarre &/or frightening. Nor shall I call it "sunshine". So, to my ears, the song falls under "baroque" category. Anyway, this thread is one of the most fascinating reads, thanks to all the contributors for such an informative discussion, YT links etc. Special thanks to Mr. TM-original poster.

I enjoy the Usher-produced Just One More Chance single by the Hondells more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju-7jYJeoas

Here's the UK version by the Outer Limits, - not bad either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usOGMJ-Bcrw
I agree, The Hondells' Just One More Chance is amazing! I 1st found it, along with the latter, in Iron Leg blog & it immediately impressed me - beautiful backing track & vocs. Outer Limits' cover is nice but some of the arrangements are insipid imo.

Btw, as shelter, I don't like Curt's voice too - there's sth. about it that I find extremely grating. I'd much prefer Bruce or Sandy Salisbury than him if listen to mellow stuff. And lastly, everything on Millennium's record is boring, except It's You, the half of Karmic Dream Sequence No. 1 & bonus tracks Blight & Anthem (here we witness one of the coolest transitions ever, i.e. from trippy sound effects to ancient choir and vice versa; the reversed tag would fit any mystic or horror film). 

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2013, 02:51:54 PM »

The lead vocal is Glen, no doubt. Don't know what is so unrecognizable about his voice. Advice to EgoHanger: listen to "Guess I'm Dumb" (very attentively), then come back to "...Fell Down", compare the 2 & you'll eventually see that the tone of the singer is the same. ne of the coolest transitions ever, i.e. from trippy sound effects to ancient choir and vice versa; the reversed tag would fit any mystic or horror film). 

The tone is the same, but the phrasing is ENTIRELY different. Listen to My World Fell Down...and then anything else Glen has ever sung. I think it's too unlikely that he sang that way on one Gary Usher session. I'm not saying it isn't him, but this 100% certainty from liner note writers and reviewers shouldn't be taken lightly.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx