gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:04:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MIKE LOVE WANTS BRIAN WILSON BACK IN THE BEACH BOYS  (Read 33641 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2013, 06:44:51 PM »

No, it's not unreasonable. Unless that cousin is Brian Wilson. I do think Mike underestimates how much Brian needs his support system these days. For Brian to be comfortable enough to create, he needs certain people around him. Mike, unfortunately, isn't one of those people. It's sad. And, I'm sure it's sad to Mike. But, it's the 2013 reality of Brian Wilson's life, and if Mike wants to work with him at all, he might have to fit into that model.

Never leave here. Please.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2013, 06:45:53 PM »

How come Al isn't whining about Joe Thomas and Brian taking the album over, even when, as related in the "Rolling Stone" article, Brian directly rejected Al's contribution to the album?

Because Al wants a job, and because he wants to be in the presence of Brian Wilson, no matter what.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2013, 06:50:55 PM »

So I was thinking about this while working out, and it occurred to me: Brian probably did say "no more dates please" or whatever. And indeed he probably said that at the end of the tour. And he probably meant that in terms of going and playing a bunch of dates that fall. But I bet he was all in to do some Christmas or New Years things. In fact, I'm pretty sure he mentioned something like that in his letter to the LA Times or whoever.

And I'm also pretty sure he really did wanna make another Beach Boys album. We have to take what he said at face value, and more than once he said he wanted to make another album with "the boys" and I'm assuming by "the boys" he didn't mean Darian and Scott, but The Beach Boys.

So yeah Brian probably was pooped after the touring from last spring/summer. But I think he woulda been fine doing some more Beach Boys stuff late in '12 and probably woulda been working on a Beach Boys album this year rather than a solo album if Mike woulda went along with it.

I also agree with HeyJude about Al. He does kinda get the short end of the stick overall. And whenever Mike mentions the group he only mentions him and Brian for some reason, as though Al's presence doesn't really matter. Even though he has the third BRI vote.

How come Al isn't whining about Joe Thomas and Brian taking the album over, even when, as related in the "Rolling Stone" article, Brian directly rejected Al's contribution to the album?

Because Al wants a job, and because he wants to be in the presence of Brian Wilson, no matter what.

And if I'd had a great career, and was good friends with Brian Wilson, who already had made me world famous, and he wanted to hang with me and make some music, I'd probably do it to, with a lot of time to do other stuff too. Unfortunately Mike doesn't want that.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2013, 06:55:26 PM »

And if I'd had a great career, and was good friends with Brian Wilson, who already had made me world famous, and he wanted to hang with me and make some music, I'd probably do it to, with a lot of time to do other stuff too.

I'd probably do it, too.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2013, 06:59:18 PM »

No, it's not unreasonable. Unless that cousin is Brian Wilson. I do think Mike underestimates how much Brian needs his support system these days. For Brian to be comfortable enough to create, he needs certain people around him. Mike, unfortunately, isn't one of those people. It's sad. And, I'm sure it's sad to Mike. But, it's the 2013 reality of Brian Wilson's life, and if Mike wants to work with him at all, he might have to fit into that model.

It's not unreasonable even if you are Brian Wilson. Brian's not a child. Mike is one of the people Brian needs around him, some of the people around Brian are probably the people he doesn't need around him. Mike does try to fit Brian's model and that cuts both ways, Brian needs to try to fit Mike's, et Al's model. He's not some deity, immune from common courtesies and decencies. Jeez Louise.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2013, 07:10:50 PM »

It's not unreasonable even if you are Brian Wilson. Brian's not a child. Mike is one of the people Brian needs around him, some of the people around Brian are probably the people he doesn't need around him. Mike does try to fit Brian's model and that cuts both ways, Brian needs to try to fit Mike's, et Al's model. He's not some deity, immune from common courtesies and decencies. Jeez Louise.

I didn't say Brian was a child or a deity. I said he was a damaged person who needs a support system he's comfortable with in order to create. Mike has not been a part of Brian's creative life for years, so he's not one of those people any more. Time has had its way in things. I don't think that's an unfair statement, so don't couch me as one of your "Brianistas". Only Brian can say who he needs around him to be creative. Mike doesn't get that right, sorry. And, neither do we.  I agree that Brian is an adult, and I happen to think he makes these decisions for himself. And, if you'll note, I did say that Brian also needed to recognize the 2013 reality of Mike Love, who has been successfully touring the band for years without Brian. Mike deserves Brian's deference on that point, especially where live shows are concerned.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 07:15:01 PM by Cyncie » Logged
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2013, 07:20:59 PM »

And, maybe he's a professional who doesn't throw a hissy fit when the producer decides not to use his submission. It's all part of the job.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2013, 07:24:34 PM »

Mike is one of the people Brian needs around him.

Exceptionally debatable.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2013, 07:30:16 PM »

Agreed.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2013, 07:34:21 PM »

I didn't say Brian was a child or a deity. I said he was a damaged person who needs a support system he's comfortable with in order to create. Mike has not been a part of Brian's creative life for years, so he's not one of those people any more. Time has had its way in things. I don't think that's an unfair statement, so don't couch me as one of your "Brianistas". Only Brian can say who he needs around him to be creative. Mike doesn't get that right, sorry. And, neither do we.  I agree that Brian is an adult, and I happen to think he makes these decisions for himself. And, if you'll note, I did say that Brian also needed to recognize the 2013 reality of Mike Love, who has been successfully touring the band for years without Brian. Mike deserves Brian's deference on that point, especially where live shows are concerned.

Ok. We are just going to disagree on how Brian is and what Brian needs and how BBs should treat each other.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »

Ok. We are just going to disagree on how Brian is and what Brian needs and how BBs should treat each other.

Hey, if Brian decides tomorrow that he and Mike are on the same creative page and they fly off to some remote island retreat to write pop masterpieces, I'd say "cool beans!"  I don't anticipate that, because it doesn't seem to be the way Brian works these days. I also don't expect Mike to tune up the mega tour bus caravan with the 40 piece orchestra, giant video screen and catered birthday cake for the next Beach Boys gig. Mike needs to concede to Brian's current creative method, and Brian needs to give Mike more comfort room in the tours. They need to let each other play to their strengths instead of making demands in the areas of their weaknesses. 
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2013, 08:11:14 PM »

Well... here's my take, simplistic as it may be: if Mike's statement is questionable, then Brian's camp will rightly question it, publicly... and if it's accurate, they won't. There may be a third option but for the life of me I can't think of one.

Another option:  it's not accurate, but Brian's camp stay silent because they don't want to stir things up any more than they already have been -- given that both sides have been holding out "if the other guy wants to come back to us" olive branches of late...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2013, 08:31:53 PM »

Hey, if Brian decides tomorrow that he and Mike are on the same creative page and they fly off to some remote island retreat to write pop masterpieces, I'd say "cool beans!"  I don't anticipate that, because it doesn't seem to be the way Brian works these days. I also don't expect Mike to tune up the mega tour bus caravan with the 40 piece orchestra, giant video screen and catered birthday cake for the next Beach Boys gig. Mike needs to concede to Brian's current creative method, and Brian needs to give Mike more comfort room in the tours. They need to let each other play to their strengths instead of making demands in the areas of their weaknesses. 

I'm with you on that.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2013, 08:38:47 PM »

Well... here's my take, simplistic as it may be: if Mike's statement is questionable, then Brian's camp will rightly question it, publicly... and if it's accurate, they won't. There may be a third option but for the life of me I can't think of one.

Another option:  it's not accurate, but Brian's camp stay silent because they don't want to stir things up any more than they already have been -- given that both sides have been holding out "if the other guy wants to come back to us" olive branches of late...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

I don't see how engaging Mike in this will benefit Brian one way or the other. He's riding high right now. The public and press were behind him in last year's ridiculous battle of the PR statements. He's got a solo album with noted guests coming out, a book and a high profile biopic.  It's not going to help him to swat back at Mike over a statement that comes off as too little, too late in the C50 PR wars.

Besides, it might be partly true, partly not. I can see Brian expressing both excitement over the new possibilities being offered and dread due to fatigue and back pain. He was in for that procedure pretty quickly when they took a break.  So, it's possible that both are right. Brian may have expressed reluctance at more tour dates, but still wanted to consider some of the offers . It doesn't have to be all or none.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 08:46:15 PM by Cyncie » Logged
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2013, 08:55:05 PM »

Another option:  it's not accurate, but Brian's camp stay silent because they don't want to stir things up any more than they already have been -- given that both sides have been holding out "if the other guy wants to come back to us" olive branches of late...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

I don't see how engaging Mike in this will benefit Brian one way or the other. He's riding high right now. The public and press were behind him in last year's ridiculous battle of the PR statements. He's got a solo album with noted guests coming out, a book and a high profile biopic.  It's not going to help him to swat back at Mike over a statement that comes off as too little, too late in the C50 PR wars.

Besides, it might be partly true, partly not. I can see Brian expressing both excitement over the new possibilities being offered and dread due to fatigue and back pain. He was in for that procedure pretty quickly when they took a break.  So, it's possible that both are right. Brian may have expressed reluctance at more tour dates, but still wanted to consider some of the offers . It doesn't have to be all or none.

Well when it comes to making any reparations to whatever relationships took hits in the aftermath of the C50, I think most of us would agree that Mike Love needs to make the first move because Brian Wilson just isn't going to do so.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Nicko1234
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2013, 09:15:04 PM »

And, maybe he's a professional who doesn't throw a hissy fit when the producer decides not to use his submission. It's all part of the job.

I don`t know. I like Al but he was kicked out of The Beach Boys in the early 90s and when he toured with Brian a few years ago he got kicked off that too. I think he`s capable of hissy fits too.
Nicko1234
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2013, 09:21:40 PM »

Well when it comes to making any reparations to whatever relationships took hits in the aftermath of the C50, I think most of us would agree that Mike Love needs to make the first move because Brian Wilson just isn't going to do so.

I can`t really see why that would happen though. They got together as a business proposition for the 50th anniversary but they don`t need each other anymore and Mike and Brian are both doing well on their own.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2013, 09:24:12 PM »

I don`t know. I like Al but he was kicked out of The Beach Boys in the early 90s and when he toured with Brian a few years ago he got kicked off that too. I think he`s capable of hissy fits too.
Yeah, I think he does have hissy fits. But in his defense, Brian wasn't paying him (although it sounds like he had invited himself along). My source told me it was a mutual parting of the ways.

Gotta say, Al talked to me backstage for 10 mins after the C50 Eugene show and was very, very nice.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2013, 09:44:41 PM »

I'm with you on that.
I think Melinda is the one who needs to be sent to a remote island.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2013, 09:45:31 PM »

Maybe Al learned from his mistake.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2013, 09:49:47 PM »

I would like to see a writing session happen between the two.  If nothing worthwhile comes of it, well they tried and it didn't work out.  Both have lots of time to spare.  On the other hand, if their efforts jelled and they were able to craft a good song or two, it will be part of their legacy.
Nicko1234
« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2013, 09:50:36 PM »

Maybe. I would think it`s more about the fact that Al needs Brian though. He unfortunately hasn`t really had a solo career since 1998. Brian`s people probably think it`s not a bad idea for Al (and any other guests) to be involved to add some interest to any new shows/recordings.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 09, 2013, 09:54:58 PM »

Well I think Brian has realized how good Al's voice is now. He sorta needs Al more these days.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2013, 10:05:03 PM »

While the conflicts between Brian and Mike over the years are debatable, there was definitely a lot of friction between Mike and Al before the reunion.

Check out this interview.

http://brianwilsonfans.com/a_ml.php
Love reserves most of his current animosity for the other living original Beach Boy, Al Jardine, who he alleges tried to orchestrate a Beach Boys symphonic tour with Peter Cetera and Brian – but without Mike – the week Carl Wilson died from lung cancer in 1998. There's a snide quality in his voice but still no real sense of anger. "Carl was always the mediator in The Beach Boys, so his absence created a very big void. I didn't feel like continuing with Al after that,  so that launched the whole thing where Al went off and did his own thing and I did mine with Bruce. It definitely created a schism which has lasted to this day. Alan has repeatedly brought lawsuits against Brother Records. But we've been successful at defending ourselves and so his antagonistic approach hasn't gotten him anywhere."

I never heard about the symphonic tour controversy and I'm not sure whether to agree with Mike about Al being "antagonistic" (after all, didn't Brother sue Al first for using the Beach Boys name on tour?  I never heard about any other lawsuits) but the relationship between Mike and Al seems to be even more complicated than that between Mike and Brian.

Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 09, 2013, 10:08:19 PM »

Well I think Brian has realized how good Al's voice is now. He sorta needs Al more these days.

I think the C50 turned Brian on to more of the idea of being in a band instead of being a 100% solo artist. It's just that Brian wants final say in the band, and that's why things didn't work out with Mike and his manservant Bruce.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx