gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:23:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MIKE LOVE WANTS BRIAN WILSON BACK IN THE BEACH BOYS  (Read 33751 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 06:40:37 PM »

So it still boils down to money. Obviously Mike had already booked the next few months for his beach boys show with Bruce in September so when Brian suddenly said "let's do some more!" it was just not financially feasible...something I doubt Brian comprehends.
So then Brian said, "No more dates please"? The Mike/Bruce dates could have bern rescheduled; and some no doubt were when they extended from 50 to 73.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 06:51:52 PM »

Neither is actually inconsistent. I suspect this interview isn't accurate -- the Daily Star is the worst kind of tabloid -- but assume it is. Assume Stebbins' account is also correct. Then it's entirely possible that the situation was something like this:

Februaryish (can't remember the exact dates, but call it that) -- initial fifty date tour announced
Aprilish -- Tour starts. Brian's not having a wonderful time, with his bad back and so on, but there are all these other places -- Japan, Australia, the UK -- that want dates.  Brian also knows that his band members have other commitments. Maybe he knows that his own health won't hold up for much longer if he plays many more shows. So when the idea of more dates comes up, Brian says "OK, but that's *it*, then. The tour has to end by the end of September". He might not mean to be ruling out any *future* tours -- but *that* tour has to end by the end of September.
Mike, hearing this as the final end date for the reunion, says "OK" and starts booking dates for the Mike & Bruce band.
Septemberish -- offers start coming in for even more shows. Brian's having a great time, and wants to book some more shows, maybe a winter tour or shows in the new year or something. Mike says "What? I've got all these shows booked with my own band now! We agreed the end of September was the end!", while Brian says "Hang on, six months ago *you* were trying to persuade *me* to do more shows! Now you're going to tour without me again?!"

End result -- both men think the other one was the reason the tour ended, and both are right.

Note, I'm *NOT* saying this is what happened -- I see no reason to believe a single word of anything in the Star -- but it seems consistent to me, and doesn't require any assumptions of malice or bad faith on anyone's part, just bad communication.

Actually, that sounds about right.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 08:02:21 PM »

He wanted to do more shows, but they had to be in a room.

LOL

You're a genius.
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 10:40:40 PM »

I'll be right back, I'm going to get some popcorn!  laugh

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 11:25:15 PM »

I'll be right back, I'm going to get some popcorn!  laugh

Why? This movie has had enough re-runs since September. I'll be dropping off the kids at the pool.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2013, 11:54:19 PM »

The Daily Star blames single-parent, benefit-scrounging, asylum-seeking, lefty Muslim homosexuals for EVERYTHING on a daily basis. It is a despicable rag. I wouldn't believe a single word you read in it. If this is the only source for Mike's comments then I'd ignore 'em until further notice.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 12:47:49 AM »

[
It's entirely possible that in May Brian thought that 73 dates would be the limit but in September he wanted to do more.

Hopefully 73 years of age will be the limit.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 01:01:44 AM »

Neither is actually inconsistent. I suspect this interview isn't accurate -- the Daily Star is the worst kind of tabloid -- but assume it is. Assume Stebbins' account is also correct. Then it's entirely possible that the situation was something like this:

Februaryish (can't remember the exact dates, but call it that) -- initial fifty date tour announced
Aprilish -- Tour starts. Brian's not having a wonderful time, with his bad back and so on, but there are all these other places -- Japan, Australia, the UK -- that want dates.  Brian also knows that his band members have other commitments. Maybe he knows that his own health won't hold up for much longer if he plays many more shows. So when the idea of more dates comes up, Brian says "OK, but that's *it*, then. The tour has to end by the end of September". He might not mean to be ruling out any *future* tours -- but *that* tour has to end by the end of September.
Mike, hearing this as the final end date for the reunion, says "OK" and starts booking dates for the Mike & Bruce band.
Septemberish -- offers start coming in for even more shows. Brian's having a great time, and wants to book some more shows, maybe a winter tour or shows in the new year or something. Mike says "What? I've got all these shows booked with my own band now! We agreed the end of September was the end!", while Brian says "Hang on, six months ago *you* were trying to persuade *me* to do more shows! Now you're going to tour without me again?!"

End result -- both men think the other one was the reason the tour ended, and both are right.

Note, I'm *NOT* saying this is what happened -- I see no reason to believe a single word of anything in the Star -- but it seems consistent to me, and doesn't require any assumptions of malice or bad faith on anyone's part, just bad communication.

Actually, that sounds about right.
Exactly. I think this whole mess started as a very simple misunderstanding or miscommunication. Then the wifeandmanagers cried "fired!!", and it turned into another Mike Love hatefest.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 01:02:21 AM »

I think this new quote from Mike bears out – perhaps even clarifies slightly - what's preceded it and illustrates that those who blame him for the end of the C50 tour have simply got the wrong end of the stick.

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 01:16:57 AM »

I think this new quote from Mike bears out – perhaps even clarifies slightly - what's preceded it and illustrates that those who blame him for the end of the C50 tour have simply got the wrong end of the stick.
Kinda weird, if the quote is accurate, that Mike floats out a new quote that contradicts previous statements from all parties. This will no doubt be a statement Love will have to walk back. Much like his statement of Mike bashing posts on Al's website that wasn't true. He has gotten such bad press for the end of the C50 that he is now trying to spin it. He has clearly stated in previous interviews that he ended the tour as agreed upon. Now he is saying Brian said no more shows.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 01:26:49 AM »

Kinda weird, if the quote is accurate, that Mike floats out a new quote that contradicts previous statements from all parties. This will no doubt be a statement Love will have to walk back. Much like his statement of Mike bashing posts on Al's website that wasn't true. He has gotten such bad press for the end of the C50 that he is now trying to spin it. He has clearly stated in previous interviews that he ended the tour as agreed upon. Now he is saying Brian said no more shows.

That's not how we all read it… but we're all different eh?

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 02:14:41 AM »

That's not how we all read it… but we're all different eh?
Yeah, I guess. If you want to ignore Jon Stebbins posts and about 50 interviews and articles on the internet that contradict this quote. But what do I know? Nothing but what I read.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 02:16:27 AM »

If I may slightly amend Mr. Hickey's timeline...

"Februaryish (can't remember the exact dates, but call it that) -- initial fifty date tour announced
Aprilish -- Tour starts. Brian's not having a wonderful time, with his bad back and so on, but there are all these other places -- Japan, Australia, the UK -- that want dates.  Brian also knows that his band members have other commitments. Maybe he knows that his own health won't hold up for much longer if he plays many more shows. So when the idea of more dates comes up, Brian says "OK, but that's *it*, then. The tour has to end by the end of September". He might not mean to be ruling out any *future* tours -- but *that* tour has to end by the end of September.
late June -- Mike states in Rolling Stone he's booked post-C50 dates with his band. Brian expresses surprise (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/mike-love-books-beach-boys-shows-without-brian-wilson-20120626)
Septemberish -- offers start coming in for even more shows. Brian's having a great time, and wants to book some more shows, maybe a winter tour or shows in the new year or something. Mike says "What? I've got all these shows booked with my own band now! We agreed the end of September was the end!", while Brian says "Hang on, six months ago *you* were trying to persuade *me* to do more shows! Now you're going to tour without me again?!" (evidently having forgotten what he'd said three months previously)

Note, I'm *NOT* saying this is what happened -- I see no reason to believe a single word of anything in the Star -- but it seems consistent to me, and doesn't require any assumptions of malice or bad faith on anyone's part, just bad communication."
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:17:58 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 02:27:43 AM »

Jon Stebbins, who is as respected a historian as anyone here, posted several times that Mike ended the reunion. His posted about the shows and albums and deals that Mike left on the table. He cited friction between Brian and Mike's wives as one of the principal causes, although I'm sure there are others. It was clearly not as simple as a pre-existing end date. That was Mike's escape hatch, and he took it. Folks who, in the last few weeks, have constantly talked about the history and objective facts of this case have ignored Jon's posts on this subject, which were frank and evenhanded as they come.

As for Mike Eder's post earlier ... I really think it's out of line to try to ask people who disagree with you to leave the board.

Anyway, here's chapter and verse, from Mr. Stebbins, back in March:

The whole reason Mike left 30 additional C50 date offers on the table and walked away was he got tired of compromise and not being totally in charge. For the first time in decades he was not THE MAN on the Beach Boys tour. He had to defer to Brian's camp one too many times and he tired of it. His out was that the orig. C50 plan was a relatively modest 50 dates and one album, which he went above and beyond. And although the public, the promoters, and Brian, Al and David wanted to continue because the whole thing had reached a level of popularity and success that was far beyond the orig. projection...and the demand was only growing...Mike wanted his independence, and his lean and profitable operation back... which includes playing corporate shows etc...and which included a bunch of guys that were not employed by the C50 tour including his son.

personally I don't think its kissing ass...I called it compromise...and deference...and Mike does not like either at this stage of his life.

The C50 tour/album etc... is comparatively modest compared to what was left on the table. That's what I meant by modest.

Capitol Records gave Mike no significant guaranteed money for C50...again the guaranteed  $$$ came from Joe Thomas's business model, backers and organization.

Mike definitely burned out on not being in charge and calling all the shots...you are right about that.

At least 30 more C50 shows, another studio album, a bunch more high profile TV appearances etc... But I would not term it as Mike "turning them down"...I would say the prospect of these things were left on the table because they were never negotiated beyond the offer stage due to Mike's preference to return to his normal business model.

the bittersweet part is that it might have gone on longer. But in reality we got more than anyone ever thought possible. The whole theory about whether Mike wanted to do business with Joe Thomas or if Capitol was whatever...I'm not privy to any details. I can guarantee this...if Melinda and Jacqueline were in sync and wanting the same thing they would all be working together still. They were the glue that kept things together while it lasted.

After reading that, and Mike's comments on the subject, and Brian and Al's, I think it's possible to draw conclusions about the personalities and motives involved. Many people here have done that. And they're not being haters -- on either side, really. It's just another chapter in a history of a bunch of guys who love each other but can't stand each other at the same time.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 02:33:41 AM »

"Februaryish (can't remember the exact dates, but call it that) -- initial fifty date tour announced
late June -- Mike states in Rolling Stone he's booked post-C50 dates with his band. Brian expresses surprise (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/mike-love-books-beach-boys-shows-without-brian-wilson-20120626)
Septemberish -- offers start coming in for even more shows. Brian's having a great time, and wants to book some more shows, maybe a winter tour or shows in the new year or something. Mike says "What? I've got all these shows booked with my own band now! We agreed the end of September was the end!", while Brian says "Hang on, six months ago *you* were trying to persuade *me* to do more shows! Now you're going to tour without me again?!" (evidently having forgotten what he'd said three months previously)

Note, I'm *NOT* saying this is what happened -- I see no reason to believe a single word of anything in the Star -- but it seems consistent to me, and doesn't require any assumptions of malice or bad faith on anyone's part, just bad communication."

Sounds perfectly plausible.

'Love explained. “At that point, Brian said, ‘No more dates for us, please."

Seems Mike is using this statement out of context if true.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 02:47:02 AM »

'ere we go again…

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 03:08:15 AM »

'ere we go again…
Nah.  Andrew's timeline sounds good.  It's just rock and roll.  One thing you can say for sure, this band keeps things interesting. Cheers!

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 03:25:04 AM »

If you mean by "wrong end of the stick" that Brian and his party are the only ones to blame, then I disagree. If not, ignore the last phrase. AndrewH's timeline is a plausible assumption to me too.

It's all about total control, baby, as it always has been.

That's true. Brian has always been a control freak.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
MBE
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 03:44:59 AM »

Aprilish -- Tour starts. Brian's not having a wonderful time, with his bad back and so on, but there are all these other places -- Japan, Australia, the UK -- that want dates.  Brian also knows that his band members have other commitments. Maybe he knows that his own health won't hold up for much longer if he plays many more shows. So when the idea of more dates comes up, Brian says "OK, but that's *it*, then. The tour has to end by the end of September". He might not mean to be ruling out any *future* tours -- but *that* tour has to end by the end of September.

Thanks AGD I remembered Mike talked about in June, just didn't remember where.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2013, 03:45:30 AM »

'ere we go again…
Nah.  Andrew's timeline sounds good.  It's just rock and roll.  One thing you can say for sure, this band keeps things interesting. Cheers!

What happened to Fake Beard?Huh??

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2013, 03:49:16 AM »

'ere we go again…

Pulled it off  Grin

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2013, 04:05:22 AM »

'ere we go again…

Pulled it off  Grin

Y'll go blind…

MBE
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2013, 04:08:21 AM »

Facebook post

The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary ReUnion Tour

Where there's smoke there's fire... This is how the 50th started to happen... Stay tuned folks cross your fingers.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2013, 04:12:18 AM »

'ere we go again…

Pulled it off  Grin

Y'll go blind…
Banana

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2013, 04:45:53 AM »

This sounds plausible. And it's more than likely that all the things said in the above scenario were said through managers (and the press),  so it's telephone. Words twisted, tones misinterpreted, and you end up with Brian thinking Mike is to blame and Mike thinking Brian is to blame.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx