gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:28:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MIKE LOVE WANTS BRIAN WILSON BACK IN THE BEACH BOYS  (Read 33754 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2013, 04:38:44 PM »

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/mike-love-wants-brian-wilson-in-beach-boys/

From the article;

”The anniversary tour was originally 50 dates and got extended to 73,” Love explained. “At that point, Brian said, ‘No more dates for us, please.’ So once we finished those 73 shows, we went back to the lineup of the band before he rejoined.”

WHAAAAAA??!
Leave it to Brian to forget he did something like that.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Ted
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 04:40:30 PM »

You'd think Mike might have mentioned this on one of the previous occasions when the subject came up...
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 04:44:53 PM »

Well, we've read all the posts from Mike apologists that the tour ended as planned. Not Mike is changing his story, no doubt because of all the bad press, that it was Brian who ended the tour.The plot thickens.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 04:48:09 PM »

Here we go. LOL
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 04:49:42 PM »

What fresh hell is this?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 04:51:04 PM »

I guess its time for another round of BW/ML BBs power struggles.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »

Well, we've read all the posts from Mike apologists that the tour ended as planned. Not Mike is changing his story, no doubt because of all the bad press, that it was Brian who ended the tour.The plot thickens.

Not so much changing his story as adding to it. Everything he says here is consistent with what's been said previously -- that they planned to do fifty dates, then extended it to 73, and it ended as planned after those 73. What he appears to be saying here (if he said it at all -- the Daily Star is not a reliable source) is that when they extended it to 73 dates, it was Brian who said that was the limit *at that point*.
It's entirely possible that in May Brian thought that 73 dates would be the limit but in September he wanted to do more.

Not making any judgement myself on the truth or otherwise of Mike's statements, just pointing out that he's not inconsistent for saying it.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »

Hopefully this doesn't turn into 70 pages of arguments and speculation, but it's pretty strange he's just now saying this.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 04:55:48 PM »

He wanted to do more shows, but they had to be in a room.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 04:57:16 PM »

What gives Mike the right to (un)invite BW into the BBs as ML pleases. Mike acts like he is the BBs and runs the group. (IMO)

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 05:03:18 PM »

Not so much changing his story as adding to it. Everything he says here is consistent with what's been said previously -- that they planned to do fifty dates, then extended it to 73, and it ended as planned after those 73. What he appears to be saying here (if he said it at all -- the Daily Star is not a reliable source) is that when they extended it to 73 dates, it was Brian who said that was the limit *at that point*.
It's entirely possible that in May Brian thought that 73 dates would be the limit but in September he wanted to do more.

Not making any judgement myself on the truth or otherwise of Mike's statements, just pointing out that he's not inconsistent for saying it.
No less than Jon Stebbins has confirmed that dates, and another album, were on the table but Mike didn't want to continue. If this interview is accurate, something is rotten in Denmark. Brian said it felt like being fired.

To quote this story,””The anniversary tour was originally 50 dates and got extended to 73,” Love explained. “At that point, Brian said, ‘No more dates for us, please.’

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jason
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 05:04:07 PM »

This is exactly why the Brian Wilson wifeandmanagers promotional machine is not to be trusted.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »

What gives Mike the right to (un)invite BW into the BBs as ML pleases. Mike acts like he is the BBs and runs the group. (IMO)
The interview never actually quotes Mike saying he wants the band back together. He just gives his standard 'he and Brian alone in a room writing together' blurb.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 05:09:39 PM »

This is exactly why the Brian Wilson wifeandmanagers promotional machine is not to be trusted.
Exactly. They even have Stebbins putting out false propaganda to make Mike look the villian when it was actually Brian who broke up the C50.   LOL

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 05:10:24 PM »

He wanted to do more shows, but they had to be in a room.

loooooooooool

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 05:12:17 PM »

Because Mike Love could be misquoted by a low rent tabloid at any time?

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 05:17:44 PM »

No less than Jon Stebbins has confirmed that dates, and another album, were on the table but Mike didn't want to continue. If this interview is accurate, something is rotten in Denmark. Brian said it felt like being fired.

To quote this story,””The anniversary tour was originally 50 dates and got extended to 73,” Love explained. “At that point, Brian said, ‘No more dates for us, please.’

Neither is actually inconsistent. I suspect this interview isn't accurate -- the Daily Star is the worst kind of tabloid -- but assume it is. Assume Stebbins' account is also correct. Then it's entirely possible that the situation was something like this:

Februaryish (can't remember the exact dates, but call it that) -- initial fifty date tour announced
Aprilish -- Tour starts. Brian's not having a wonderful time, with his bad back and so on, but there are all these other places -- Japan, Australia, the UK -- that want dates.  Brian also knows that his band members have other commitments. Maybe he knows that his own health won't hold up for much longer if he plays many more shows. So when the idea of more dates comes up, Brian says "OK, but that's *it*, then. The tour has to end by the end of September". He might not mean to be ruling out any *future* tours -- but *that* tour has to end by the end of September.
Mike, hearing this as the final end date for the reunion, says "OK" and starts booking dates for the Mike & Bruce band.
Septemberish -- offers start coming in for even more shows. Brian's having a great time, and wants to book some more shows, maybe a winter tour or shows in the new year or something. Mike says "What? I've got all these shows booked with my own band now! We agreed the end of September was the end!", while Brian says "Hang on, six months ago *you* were trying to persuade *me* to do more shows! Now you're going to tour without me again?!"

End result -- both men think the other one was the reason the tour ended, and both are right.

Note, I'm *NOT* saying this is what happened -- I see no reason to believe a single word of anything in the Star -- but it seems consistent to me, and doesn't require any assumptions of malice or bad faith on anyone's part, just bad communication.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 05:28:57 PM »

Neither is actually inconsistent. I suspect this interview isn't accurate -- the Daily Star is the worst kind of tabloid -- but assume it is. Assume Stebbins' account is also correct. Then it's entirely possible that the situation was something like this:

Februaryish (can't remember the exact dates, but call it that) -- initial fifty date tour announced
Aprilish -- Tour starts. Brian's not having a wonderful time, with his bad back and so on, but there are all these other places -- Japan, Australia, the UK -- that want dates.  Brian also knows that his band members have other commitments. Maybe he knows that his own health won't hold up for much longer if he plays many more shows. So when the idea of more dates comes up, Brian says "OK, but that's *it*, then. The tour has to end by the end of September". He might not mean to be ruling out any *future* tours -- but *that* tour has to end by the end of September.
Mike, hearing this as the final end date for the reunion, says "OK" and starts booking dates for the Mike & Bruce band.
Septemberish -- offers start coming in for even more shows. Brian's having a great time, and wants to book some more shows, maybe a winter tour or shows in the new year or something. Mike says "What? I've got all these shows booked with my own band now! We agreed the end of September was the end!", while Brian says "Hang on, six months ago *you* were trying to persuade *me* to do more shows! Now you're going to tour without me again?!"

End result -- both men think the other one was the reason the tour ended, and both are right.

Note, I'm *NOT* saying this is what happened -- I see no reason to believe a single word of anything in the Star -- but it seems consistent to me, and doesn't require any assumptions of malice or bad faith on anyone's part, just bad communication.

It will be interesting if Mike follows this up in future interviews. For sure the headline in this one is appparently not something Mike said.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 05:41:24 PM »

This article started here and kind of started to pop up everywhere else
 http://www.tourdates.co.uk/news/23235-the-beach-boys-want-brian-wilson-back

This seems like a really pointless article, nothing new is stated.  It's just old news said in different words.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 05:52:21 PM »

This seems like a really pointless article, nothing new is stated.  It's just old news said in different words.
Your linked story provides a little more detail. I disagree there is nothing new.

Love explained. “At that point, Brian said, ‘No more dates for us, please."

That's new.

oldsurferdude
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 05:55:54 PM »

It's all about total control, baby, as it always has been. Hope Brian sends him a packin'.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 05:59:19 PM »

But it also contradicts both Brian & Mike in the LA Times articles last year, closer to the fact - they both acknowledged that Brian wanted to continue? It makes no sense for Mike to play along with that when it makes him look bad - If this was true, he would have said it last year.

TBH, it originates from The Daily Star, a totally worthless publication. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a doctored quote.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 06:02:16 PM »

Your linked story provides a little more detail. I disagree there is nothing new.

Love explained. “At that point, Brian said, ‘No more dates for us, please."

That's new.

Yea, that's new. I forgot about that part. The ironic part about this article is that that bit of information isn't even the point of the article  Tongue
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 06:27:17 PM »

So it still boils down to money. Obviously Mike had already booked the next few months for his beach boys show with Bruce in September so when Brian suddenly said "let's do some more!" it was just not financially feasible...something I doubt Brian comprehends.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »

So it still boils down to money. Obviously Mike had already booked the next few months for his beach boys show with Bruce in September so when Brian suddenly said "let's do some more!" it was just not financially feasible...something I doubt Brian comprehends.

I disagree and fall back on the old adage of "If there is a will, there is a way".  I think a compromise could've been reached financially speaking between all parties involved if a priority was put on keeping the C50 lineup intact.  If that was of the utmost importance the fact that Mike had booked some M&B shows in advance could've been worked through between all of the parties involved but this was obviously not the case.  Personally I'm not going to allow the issue of money to be used as an escape hatch in this instance because you could also easily argue whatever money might have been lost or compromised in that instance would've more than been made up with revenue generated from additional C50 dates at venues like MSG and Wrigley Field and possible revenue from a new record.  There would've been more than enough money for all parties involved to go around if that was the direction the group chose to go.  They didn't and it was likely due to reasons that had more to do with ego, personal preferences and discord between the parties involved.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx