gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 05:19:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles *sigh*  (Read 83012 times)
zachrwolfe
« Reply #200 on: August 05, 2013, 11:09:33 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:51:18 PM by zatch » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 05, 2013, 11:22:17 PM »

That's the one thing I hate the most about it.  LOL This song, and Got To Get You In To My Life. Brass works on a few of ther songs, but there are a few songs where it becomes intrusive. By the way, you're question about George Martin? He was ESSENTIAL to their sound. He really was like a fifth beatle. I recommend going on e-bay or maybe amazon and trying to get a copy of the out of print book The Beatles Recording Sessions, by Mark Lewisohn. It really goes into a lot of detail about just how much he did for the group in the studio. I'll put it this way, George Martin is one of my biggest music influences, as far as the producing and arranging of a song goes. I'd list him in my top three favorite producers, with Phil Spector being at 2, and some dude called Wilson at number 1.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: August 06, 2013, 12:09:18 AM »

I thought Dr. Robert was ace, myself. Hell, I even like Yellow Submarine!

Dana came up with a *great* line about the Beatles v the Beach Boys. 'There isn't a "better", per se; f*** apples and oranges...more like sunrise and sunset. They're both the same, yet different...either way they're both beautiful'.

Damn I love this album. The sequencing is ace, the songs and vocals top notch...and so far ahead of its time it's crazy. The sound quality blows the competitors out of the water. I must confess I heard it in stereo...that said it 'sounds' better than stereo Pet Sounds.  Not vocally, or anything...just talking about how crystal clear the sound was. Tomorrow Never Knows sounds like it could've been done in the 90s, sonically speaking.

It's crazy...I went from (blind) dislike to curious to being a fanatic. I want to hear everything, released and unreleased. I think my opinions on Please Please Me might be different than it was on page one of this thread.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #203 on: August 06, 2013, 12:32:41 AM »

I thought Dr. Robert was ace, myself. Hell, I even like Yellow Submarine!

Dana came up with a *great* line about the Beatles v the Beach Boys. 'There isn't a "better", per se; f*** apples and oranges...more like sunrise and sunset. They're both the same, yet different...either way they're both beautiful'.

Damn I love this album. The sequencing is ace, the songs and vocals top notch...and so far ahead of its time it's crazy. The sound quality blows the competitors out of the water. I must confess I heard it in stereo...that said it 'sounds' better than stereo Pet Sounds.  Not vocally, or anything...just talking about how crystal clear the sound was. Tomorrow Never Knows sounds like it could've been done in the 90s, sonically speaking.

It's crazy...I went from (blind) dislike to curious to being a fanatic. I want to hear everything, released and unreleased. I think my opinions on Please Please Me might be different than it was on page one of this thread.
I envy you, you have a lot to discover.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 06, 2013, 12:59:34 AM »

This takes me back to when I was a little boy and my dad played Beatles music for me for the first time. I have very fond memories of hearing these weird, yet amazing songs like Strawberry Fields Forever, and I Am The Walrus. Then my dad got both volumes of Past Masters on cd, and it was love at first listen. I miss those days.  Sad

I'm so grateful to my dad for giving me the gift of the love of music. I couldn't even to begin to put into words how much music has enriched my life.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: August 06, 2013, 02:50:17 AM »

That's how my dad was with me. He was an older man...46 when I was born. He only liked the artists hits. He had dozens of compilations from the artists he liked. But...he had such a diverse taste. In the car I'd hear Led Zeppelin, Eagles, Frampton, ect. Or, I'd hear BB King or James Brown. Rod Stewart. Crystal Gale. Frank Sinatra. Cream. Chicago...all eras. Collective Soul. Alanis Morrisette. Wings. The fat boys. My dad bought me this thing for my PlayStation where you can make music and beats. I took an electronic music course in college on his suggestion. I owe my almost career due to my dad's exposing me to music of all kinds. Hear it all, as that's the only way to know what you really like.

Well, from what I've heard from the Beatles they sum up everything I love about music.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:16:28 PM by In Soviet Russia, beach goes to YOU » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 06, 2013, 03:05:24 AM »

My dad liked stuff from the 1960's, from when he was a teenager and young adult. But he didn't just like the hits. He collected an artists entire music catalogue. Just to give you an example, my dad's Eric Clapton collection at the time of his death was probably 70 cd's. Everything from his earliest recordings in The Yardbirds, to The Blues Breakers, Cream, Delany and Bonnie, Blind Faith, etc. All the way up to his then current solo album. He did that with mostly every artist. He loved Clapton, Hendrix, The Beatles, Zeppelin, CCR, The Band, Chicago, Dylan, The Byrds, etc. But he also collected the ultra obscure groups like Bubble Puppy, Fever Tree, The Lemon Pipers, Glass Harp, The Strawberry Alarm Clock, 13th Floor Elevators, etc. Some of the best times of my life were spent in cd stores literally spending two hours just looking through random crates and boxes of cd's.  Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: August 06, 2013, 03:16:19 AM »

Its funny...he hated Roxy Music and the Beach Boys because they were in his mind lightweight and the Stones derivative. Yet to hear him do a mix tape with Pump up the Jam followed by CCR was just bizarre. Heh. I rhymed.

My only exposure to the Beatles was on the oldies station or 20 Golden Greats on the tape deck in his red 1983 Chevy Impala.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: August 06, 2013, 03:21:13 AM »

Oh...one last thought for tonight. Steven Tyler owes his career to the end of Hey Jude. Cool

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 06, 2013, 03:24:53 AM »

This is kind of off topic, but going back to The Beatles for a minute( LOL), I think you'll dig Sexy Sadie off the "white album".

MBE
« Reply #210 on: August 06, 2013, 04:23:36 AM »

The most Pet Sounds influenced thing The Beatles ever did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxb0ecs2NsE
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 06, 2013, 05:46:42 AM »

You know though as soon as I've said that, perhaps I should take it back.  I mean as nice as it would be to see the seventies LPs ("Rock And Roll Music", "Love Songs", "Ballads" and even the putrid "Reel Music") available on compact disc, there are most more interesting and substantial projects they should be sinking their teeth into.

Yeah, we still haven't gotten a CD release of the Hollywood Bowl LP or Let It Be, the Washington Coliseum show (which was remastered and streamed on iTunes briefly), the Budokan concerts and the Shea Stadium documentary on DVD.

I doubt we'd see a CD release of those old compilations, particularly because the Beatles were not very fond of how they were constantly being repackaged themselves and were left out of the selection process.  Lennon asked to be involved with the Rock and Roll Music album but Capitol declined.  With the Past Masters, Red, Blue, and 1 albums on the market, there's really no need for any other Beatles compilations.

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 06, 2013, 10:19:11 AM »

I like the Beatles (I had a massive phase going on for a full year and a half a while back) but I haven't been digging them as much recently, especially since I got into the BB. McCartney, Lennon, and Harrison were all phenomenal songwriters, but I can't really say I've ever been touched by any of their songs (with the rare exception, eg Here There and Everywhere) in the same way I have by the BBs, because I didn't really feel that the love was genuine. With something like Pet Sounds it's completely different, as PS is half an hour of Brian and Tony Asher pouring their hearts out for the listener, and the love feels achingly genuine.

Then again if you'd never listened to a Beatles album in your life up to now I suppose I'd have to expect that kind of a reaction.  LOL
The post-Rubber Soul Beatles albums are all very good, many of them masterpieces (with the exception of Rubber Soul itself, which doesn't stand the test of time half as well as their other albums in my opinion). Best one is Abbey Road - the medley will blow you away.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: August 06, 2013, 11:51:02 AM »

The most Pet Sounds influenced thing The Beatles ever did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxb0ecs2NsE

sounds more like Friends to me....pretty awesome. There's an alternate version of Here There & Everywhere that actually prefer to the released version

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 06, 2013, 11:53:35 AM »

sounds more like Friends to me....pretty awesome. There's an alternate version of Here There & Everywhere that actually prefer to the released version

Friends wasn't out for another two years!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: August 06, 2013, 12:01:19 PM »

I like the Beatles (I had a massive phase going on for a full year and a half a while back) but I haven't been digging them as much recently, especially since I got into the BB. McCartney, Lennon, and Harrison were all phenomenal songwriters, but I can't really say I've ever been touched by any of their songs (with the rare exception, eg Here There and Everywhere) in the same way I have by the BBs, because I didn't really feel that the love was genuine. With something like Pet Sounds it's completely different, as PS is half an hour of Brian and Tony Asher pouring their hearts out for the listener, and the love feels achingly genuine.

Then again if you'd never listened to a Beatles album in your life up to now I suppose I'd have to expect that kind of a reaction.  LOL
The post-Rubber Soul Beatles albums are all very good, many of them masterpieces (with the exception of Rubber Soul itself, which doesn't stand the test of time half as well as their other albums in my opinion). Best one is Abbey Road - the medley will blow you away.
its funny... for me from A Hard Day's night on, I don't hear any duff tracks. Also, I agree about not feeling the love like on Pet Sounds lyrically; however I'm moved by the albums themselves and the obvious joy they had creating masterpieces.

I agree about Rubber Soul...its really damn good but not only is Revolver better....Help! is too. But really...asking which Beatles album is the best is like asking which finger is most vital. I now see why people obsess over them. The thing that gets me... it is unbelievable that any one person could be so talented....and here's a band of four of them. Its almost not fair. Can you imagine if Brian had worked with them on a project, and George Martin would've worked with the BB?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: August 06, 2013, 12:06:04 PM »

I know...just saying that's the first vibe I got from listening...wasn't influenced by it, but had a similar sound. That's another thing I love...BW and Macca had different sounds but the same approach in a way; or vice versa.

This might sound really stupid...but was The White Album a conscious decision to return back to basics like Brian did with Wild Honey? I'd think so in a way just because of the title Wild Honey Pie LOL

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 06, 2013, 12:07:42 PM »

Then again if you'd never listened to a Beatles album in your life up to now I suppose I'd have to expect that kind of a reaction.  LOL
its funny... for me from A Hard Day's night on, I don't hear any duff tracks. Also, I agree about not feeling the love like on Pet Sounds lyrically; however I'm moved by the albums themselves and the obvious joy they had creating masterpieces.

I agree about Rubber Soul...its really damn good but not only is Revolver better....Help! is too. But really...asking which Beatles album is the best is like asking which finger is most vital. I now see why people obsess over them. The thing that gets me... it is unbelievable that any one person could be so talented....and here's a band of four of them. Its almost not fair. Can you imagine if Brian had worked with them on a project, and George Martin would've worked with the BB?
Oh man, can you imagine the Beach Boys doing Here There & Everywhere? That would've been breathtaking.

This might sound really stupid...but was The White Album a conscious decision to return back to basics like Brian did with Wild Honey? I'd think so in a way just because of the title Wild Honey Pie LOL
Ah. That song. Just, er... just wait till you listen. Tongue
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:09:40 PM by Judd » Logged

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 06, 2013, 12:10:48 PM »

I know...just saying that's the first vibe I got from listening...wasn't influenced by it, but had a similar sound. That's another thing I love...BW and Macca had different sounds but the same approach in a way; or vice versa.

It was definitely a conscious decision to return to back-to-basics, but IMO had little-to-nothing to do with Brian and/or the Beach Boys.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: August 06, 2013, 12:14:06 PM »

@Judd- With Carl on vocals!Or And I Love Her!

@ego was just wondering, as it seems a lot of artists did the same thing in 1968. So in a way, Brian ended up setting a trend by trying not to!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: August 06, 2013, 12:29:42 PM »

Another random thought...anybody else feels that part of I Want You (She's So Heavy) sound like late 70s Luther Vandross before it gets to the trippy parts?

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 06, 2013, 02:20:24 PM »

Out of interest, what did you think made the sequencing of Revolver so good? To me it just felt like a rather scrambled collection of very good songs. Although, obviously, ending on TNK is a great way to go out.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: August 06, 2013, 02:47:24 PM »

I dunno... I heard the album previously but on shuffle. As is, the album is more cohesive to me. Why? Well to me it shows off each band member but does it in a way where it sets a mood. Dome gripe about Yellow Submarine (I saw several discussions on other forums) but to me it serves the same purpose as Sloop John B does on Pet Sounds.

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 06, 2013, 02:53:56 PM »

Fair enough. Though I do think I prefer Sloop John B. Tongue

Re-listening to The White Album, and I totally forgot how damn good some of these tracks were. Martha My Dear and I Will are so underrated; they're some of the best on there!

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 06, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »

Question for those more knowledgeable than I...although George Martin was credited as producer, how much did he actually do vs the band?
Good question - no doubt he had a big influence on much of their sound, the only question is, how much? In one interview he said, to the effect, that prior to their midddle stuff he acted as an "encourager" who tried to get them to do more interesting stuff. Somewhere around their middle stuff they didn't need encouraging anymore, and he became more of an "enabler."

Trivia: The instrumental parts for "She's Leaving Home" is the only Beatles song not scored by Martin. Paul was in a rush to complete the song (for some unknown reason), and Martin was working on something else when Paul called him to write the score, so Paul called this other well-known London scorer to do it for him instead. When Martin found out later he was really pissed off, but when they went to record the instruments he went ahead and conducted it anyway.

"She's Leaving Home" without the vocals. That's Martin doing the countdown in the intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8zu4S58Tgs

If you're starting to get into the Beatles you'll probably want to check out some of the sans-vocals, sans-instruments and alternate tracks. Guitars on "She Said She Said" is one of my favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAN7HByXXxY
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx