gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 10:29:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles *sigh*  (Read 82852 times)
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 13, 2013, 04:12:27 AM »

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 13, 2013, 06:22:20 PM »

OMG .....
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 23, 2013, 10:19:16 PM »

I just thought I'd bring this topic back for a minute to discuss something I've always wondered about, regarding Free As A Bird and Real Love. I've always been curios about how the songs were actually recorded. Did Paul, George and Ringo record a "basic track" as a three piece group, and then dub in John's voice and piano? Or did they all add overdubs to the existing demo? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, could there be such a thing as an "alternate take" of the "Beatles" versions? Did they even attend recording sessions together, or did they just add their separate parts piece by piece?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #478 on: September 23, 2013, 10:36:50 PM »

Beatnickle...that is the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 23, 2013, 11:11:34 PM »

Probably took 50 years to make it.  LOL

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: September 24, 2013, 04:33:33 AM »

I just thought I'd bring this topic back for a minute to discuss something I've always wondered about, regarding Free As A Bird and Real Love. I've always been curios about how the songs were actually recorded. Did Paul, George and Ringo record a "basic track" as a three piece group, and then dub in John's voice and piano?

From memory this was more or less what they did.  They created a backing track and then dropped in John's vocals where they needed it.  I don't know if they overdubbed certain bits and bobs on later on in the process but whatever information that is out there on these extremely interesting sessions can be found here:

http://reunionsessions.tripod.com/al/faabsessions/contents.html

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 24, 2013, 06:47:08 AM »

I wonder what today's tech could do with those original Lennon cassettes?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: September 24, 2013, 10:31:05 AM »

Paul McCartney talks "Carnival Of Light" with Jimmy Kimmel, last night, at 3:20:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH1GaZB5wpk

Interesting to note that so many fans showed up for last night's TV appearance and concert that they shut down a portion of Hollywood Boulevard! Check it out:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-paul-mccartney-shuts-down-hollywood-blvd-for-kimmel-concert-20130924,0,5984365.story

Other video(s) of the performance and Kimmel interview can be found in links at those URL's for those interested.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 24, 2013, 10:40:38 AM »

They were already able to take advantage of advances in technology in the late nineties for the "Lennon Anthology" as Rob Stevens and his team were able to do what Jeff Lynne was unable to do in 1994 and that is eliminate the buzz from "Now And Then".  Now add another decade onto that ledger and you might be able to start to fathom what might be possible now should McCartney and Starr ever choose to resurrect "Now And Then" and finish it off for release as a proper Beatles single.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 24, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »

The prospect seems unlikely.  Cry
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 24, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »

That was left by aliens, right?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 25, 2013, 12:31:29 AM »

They were already able to take advantage of advances in technology in the late nineties for the "Lennon Anthology" as Rob Stevens and his team were able to do what Jeff Lynne was unable to do in 1994 and that is eliminate the buzz from "Now And Then".  Now add another decade onto that ledger and you might be able to start to fathom what might be possible now should McCartney and Starr ever choose to resurrect "Now And Then" and finish it off for release as a proper Beatles single.
They took out the buzz as far back as 1998?  Brow

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 26, 2013, 03:34:41 AM »

I just thought I'd bring this topic back for a minute to discuss something I've always wondered about, regarding Free As A Bird and Real Love. I've always been curios about how the songs were actually recorded. Did Paul, George and Ringo record a "basic track" as a three piece group, and then dub in John's voice and piano?

From memory this was more or less what they did.  They created a backing track and then dropped in John's vocals where they needed it.  I don't know if they overdubbed certain bits and bobs on later on in the process but whatever information that is out there on these extremely interesting sessions can be found here:

http://reunionsessions.tripod.com/al/faabsessions/contents.html
Thanks very much for that link! Reading all of that kind of makes me bummed out. I mean, it kind of makes you wonder just how close we were to some "new" Beatles music, with All For Love and Now And Then. I'd give anything to hear All For Love, even if it's just a very rough demo or idea for a song. I've really been into Free As A Bird lately. There are some really nice harmony vocals, and I think they did a good job of "disguising" John's voice a little. It seems like a typical "John moment", as he always wanted his voice to sound "different" on Beatles records. There is one particular moment during George's guitar solo that makes the song what it is, at least for me. Pay attention to the harmony vocals at 3:09 to 3:12 into the song. I love that little high note. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYfiRvL-zUU

Here's a little "fun fact" that I don't think many people noticed or caught. I don't even really know if it's an intentional little musical nod, or just a weird fluke/coincidence. Listen closely to the end, after the drums come back in. Notice that little bass riff, right as the song is fading? That's the intro to Come Together.  Cool  Grin

bluesno1fann
« Reply #488 on: September 26, 2013, 10:46:09 PM »

Talk about a hardcore fan...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 26, 2013, 10:58:15 PM »

And they still made George look more like Stig O'Hara than George Harrison.  LOL

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 28, 2013, 11:41:51 PM »

And they still made George look more like Stig O'Hara than George Harrison.  LOL
Long live Stig!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: October 16, 2013, 08:16:31 PM »

Listening to the early albums again... I completely take back what I said about Mr Moonlight! Not my favorite, but why was I so harsh on it before? Its not bad at all.

Working my way through outtakes now...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:17:48 PM by You Think Because I ALLOW You To » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 16, 2013, 10:43:34 PM »

Check this out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt_hWWtVmlo

And this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1levHlDyGo0

This, too! It runs to slow though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQDDfW2pMhk

One more for now, until I think of more.  Grin It's pretty to figure out why this take didn't work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgnFFYFekvE

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 17, 2013, 04:14:45 AM »

Listening to the early albums again... I completely take back what I said about Mr Moonlight! Not my favorite, but why was I so harsh on it before? Its not bad at all.

Working my way through outtakes now...

It has a great John Lennon vocal on it which virtually saves it from obscurity.  Still as many a Beatles author has noted in their various publications, if Beatles fans were to ask what was their least favorite Beatles recording, most of them would select "Mr. Moonlight".  The problem for me isn't so much the song itself but almost the entire "Beatles For Sale" album has such a depressing feeling to it which makes the much talked about forlorn expressions worn on the faces of the fabs on the cover so appropriate.  At the time of "Beatles For Sale", they were still in their "beat music" phase and when you start listening to "Beatles For Sale", you immediately get the impression that this is not a "beat record".  That isn't to say that the record wasn't indicative of their musical progression at the time or doesn't have some great songs on it but the opening trio of "No Reply", "I'm A Loser" and "Baby's In Black" isn't exactly in line thematically with how The Beatles albums at the time sounded.  As the record progresses there are more songs in that vein where you are waiting for the upbeat beat music to come and it is rarely to be found on this record.  

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 17, 2013, 09:48:42 AM »

Man I used to love belting Mr. Moonlight when it was on the stereo. Fun song to sing.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 17, 2013, 10:02:28 AM »

Am I the only one here who thinks Let It Be is the best Beatles album? I don't like pre-Sergeant Pepper stuff that much... Revolver for example is really overrated. Abbey Road's A-side is amazing. And the White album seems interesting, I haven't listened it entirely yet. Let It Be is awesome, it doesn't sound like The Beatles at all... Maybe because it has balls  LOL  Two of Us, Dig a Pony, Across the Universe, I Me Mine, Let It Be, The Long and Winding Road are all amazing songs. The rest are good too, but those are my favorites.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 17, 2013, 01:17:24 PM »

Am I the only one here who thinks Let It Be is the best Beatles album? I don't like pre-Sergeant Pepper stuff that much... Revolver for example is really overrated. Abbey Road's A-side is amazing. And the White album seems interesting, I haven't listened it entirely yet. Let It Be is awesome, it doesn't sound like The Beatles at all... Maybe because it has balls  LOL  Two of Us, Dig a Pony, Across the Universe, I Me Mine, Let It Be, The Long and Winding Road are all amazing songs. The rest are good too, but those are my favorites.

Not anymore, but I went through a period where I was just completely enthralled by "Let It Be" and to this day feel that McCartney's songs on that record are superior to any of his efforts on "Abbey Road".  The issue is with John Lennon and George Harrison.  John was going through his heroin period at the time which greatly impacted his ability to contribute to the project while George's best efforts were derided and I've heard more than one Beatles author lay claim to the fact that the reason why "For You Blue" was offered up to the group to record was because by that point Harrison had had so many of his compositions rejected, that he figured he'd take the path of least resistance and try to get the group to record one of his simplest numbers.  I still feel to this day that if you swap out "I Me Mine" and "For You Blue" for finished Beatles versions of  "All Things Must Pass" and "Let It Down", we are talking about "Let It Be" in a much different light today.

The sessions for that record may rank as some of the most fascinating ever committed to tape by any band having more to do with the tone of the sessions themselves than the music recorded.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 17, 2013, 09:16:39 PM »

I think that Paul's songs on the Let It Be album just might be the best of his entire career. People gush on and on about Yesterday, which is a very good song, don't get me wrong, but the Let It Be album had Let It Be, Get Back, The Long and Winding Road, and Two Of Us. All on the same album!  Shocked

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx