gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 12:51:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love: 'There are a lot of fallacies about me'  (Read 99536 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 07, 2013, 06:55:05 PM »

As someone else recently noted, Brian's shows with Al and Dave will feature the guy who wrote VERY close to all they music they're likely to perform, the best current singer of any of the Beach Boys, the best Beach Boys instrumentalist, plus (in at least mine and Brian's opinions Grin ) the best Beach Boys non-Brian falsetto singer.  Mike and Bruce do have the original voice on most of the early stuff but it just seems odd when that group plays stuff like "God Only Knows", "Wouldn't It Be Nice", and "Help Me Rhonda", without Carl, Brian, or Al; especially in short sets like the most recent Hyde Park show. 

Brian's shows have always kinda been about "the music of Brian Wilson" and Al and Dave will probably make them seem even more like "the Beach Boys".

Seriously, have people been asleep like Rip Van Winkle for 15 years? What did they think Mike and Brian have done all this time? Skip big hits because the "original singer" on the recording wasn't there? Brian sang lead on Little St. Nick at a show I saw around 2005, to the great delight of the fans, in July! Of course they cover the core setlist.  He covers Mike's or Al's or Carl's leads.

At Al's shows, they cover GOK, WIBN, and Rhonda! They've always switched around leads.  Carl did Dennis' stuff, did Rhonda for a while; no one "owned" every song per se.

What is circular here is that any manner of argument is set forth to make Mike the incompetent villain.  It is imbalanced, not objective, and shows a "blindness" to well-sourced information.  And any theoretical "lyricist" could be brought aboard, and no one would have a commonality of experience with Brian that Mike has.  And, he is the closest thing to a brother left. And, Mike never has passed a chance by to plug his cousin's work. Several times at each show.

If it works out; it works out. Que sera, sera!  

I hear that the weather is good in The Sandbox this time of year... LOL
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 07, 2013, 07:46:33 PM »

In my opinion, history has shown that Joe Thomas is bad for Brian's music, and Mike Love is good for Brian's music. I don't care about any of the other gossip.

In other words, "From there to Back Again" and "Your Imagination" are bad, while "Oh Darlin" and "Matchpoint of Our Love" are good.

History has shown this! It has nothing whatsoever to do with a poster's personal opinion. History!

Basically

Astonishing what people will admit to. In public, no less.

'Oh Darlin' and 'Matchpoint' kill 'Imagination' and Bon Jovi's tune ... or, wait, was that 'Summer's Gone'?!? what's the difference ?!?

despite prefacing my original statement with the obligatory 'IN MY OPINION ...', I still somehow feel the need to clarify:

Yes, my opinion is that history has shown that Joe Thomas is bad for Brian's music and Mike Love is good for it. And ultimately, I think the 'Radio' album will become something like BB85 or Imagination in the minds of future BB fans.  Yeh, MIU and KTSA are gold compared to this stuff. Not sayin that if Mike Love wrote the lyrics it would have been any better ... just saying that he wrote the Wild Honey album. And 'Warmth of the Sun'. and on and on and on. I just think it's strange that there's debate ... yeh maybe Mike is a dick, so are you. And so am I, and so was Dennis Wilson. and it seems pretty clear the Mike doesn't wanna deal with Brian's people and he has concerns about the big guy going on the road as much as Mike wants to, etc etc etc. and he's and old man and he's got some hang ups, don't we all. and he repeats the same stories over and over again, just like my grandpa. "We were #1 in England! We beat the Beatles! I helped Paul McCartney write that cool jAm !!!"

Anything Joe Thomas touches just sounds like trash. Mike Love is one of the primary songwriters in the history of our favorite group. I really don't see how this can be considered controversial anywhere other than the strange world of the Smiley Smile forum.

In my (not so humble) opinion, of course.

Best post of all time Smiley Smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 07, 2013, 07:56:13 PM »

Whats the last great lyric Mike wrote? not slagging him off, just curious.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

"Pacific Ocean Blues" ?  And before that... "Only With You".

What about:

Getcha Back
It's OK
Sumahama
Almost Summer
Goin On?

Not Shakespeare, sure, but good, solid stuff.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 07, 2013, 07:59:38 PM »

With all due respect to Mr. Love, he is *not* the McCartney to Brian's Lennon (nor is he the Lennon to Brian's McCartney, for those of us who feel that McCartney was actually the primary musical force behind the Beatles). In terms of the songwriting, he was more of an Ira Gershwin or Hal David, which is still a great honor. It's too bad he can't see himself that way, and just sit back and relax. His place in history is assured, but it's quite ridiculous for him to expect to be venerated at anywhere near the same level as Brian Wilson. Ira Gershwin, Hal David and Tony Asher never expected equal treatment with their partners, so it's not clear why Mr. Love should, other than perhaps, as arguably the least musically literate member of the Beach Boys (having rarely played an instrument), he actually never fully comprehended just how enormously talented and unique Brian was in his prime, in relation to the greater pop landscape. If he truly believes that his contribution to the Beach Boys artistically was equal to Brian Wilson (as his Lennon McCartney analogy implies), I fear that he's never going to be satisfied with history's critical evaluation of the Beach Boys. I'm not trying to denigrate Mike. I actually feel sorry for him, because, despite all his talk of meditation and being "at peace" with his life, he seemingly can't just be at peace with his partnering role in one of THE great forces of pop music in the 20th century. Now that Mike's songwriting credits have been rightly restored, his name will not disappear from history, and in fact will be better remembered than a list of very talented but already forgotten artists to which I'm sure we all could all contribute. In addition to the important lyricists mentioned above, Mike could also perhaps take a few tips from Roger Daltrey, WHO, as it happens, is much more universally popular within the WHO fanbase, and it can't hurt (in terms of perception) that he seems to be OK with all the focus on Pete Townshend's talents, despite his own leading man role.

Need we remind you that Daltry also beat the living F out of Townsend on at least one occasion..... Seems, being OK with such focus away from oneself can come at a hefty price....

BTW, Daltry has little choice but to be cool: he wrote, what, the lyrics to a single who song??? Nope. There's no comparing Dalty to Mike.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 07, 2013, 08:05:55 PM »

What about:

Getcha Back
It's OK
Sumahama
Almost Summer
Goin On?

Sum, sum, summer Well, it's almost summer 

Suzie wants to be a lady director 
And Eddie wants to drive a hearse
Johnny wants to be a doctor or lawyer
And Linda wants to be a nurse 

The man is a genius!   Rock!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 07, 2013, 08:16:28 PM »

What about:

Getcha Back
It's OK
Sumahama
Almost Summer
Goin On?

The man is a genius!   Rock!

Yeah, well Almost Summer is a great song and the lyrics flow like butter and sound fab when sung...

See, this is where the Brianistas always lose the rest of us.... We can talk and talk and talk about how anything having to do with Brian is "artistic" and important, and everything to do with Mike is "commercial" and business minded, blah blah, but  what the Brianistas will never ever ever begin to accept that there are BEACH BOYS fans who like, dig, LOVE Milke Love's work. Yes, all the cheeseball stuff that's driving you guy's hairlines even back farther than Mike's. It's OK (pun intended) to love and worship Brian for being Brian and to love and worship Mike for being Mike! These two guys ARE the Beach Boys, by and large, as far as history, charts, popularity, big bucks is concerned, and the world is all the more awesome for it.... There's more than enough Love to go around. Brian and Mike are awesome together and in their own ways, and we only have like, pshhh, a piddling 50 years of earthshattering recorded work that proves this. It's Ok, It's Ok, It's OK.... Get out there and have some fun and quit making the world black in white.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 07, 2013, 08:26:17 PM »

what the Brianistas will never ever ever begin to accept that there are BEACH BOYS fans who like, dig, LOVE Milke Love's work.

No, we accept it. We just don't think you have any taste.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 07, 2013, 08:28:52 PM »

what the Brianistas will never ever ever begin to accept that there are BEACH BOYS fans who like, dig, LOVE Milke Love's work.

and we think you choose to view the greatest band in the history of music through a tiny and narrow lens and with the sound turned way way down.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 07, 2013, 08:32:29 PM »

Jeffrey Foskett IS the 10th Beach Boy. (Glen Campbell and STAMOS not included) Yeah, I'm a Foskett fan.

What?!! Wrong thread???!! How did I get here?.......  Evil Roll Eyes
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 07, 2013, 08:32:53 PM »

"Pacific Ocean Blues" ?  And before that... "Only With You".

What about:

Getcha Back
It's OK
Sumahama
Almost Summer
Goin On?

Sum, sum, summer Well, it's almost summer
Sum, sum, summer Well, it's almost summer

The man is a genius!   Rock!

Yeah, well Almost Summer is a great song and the lyrics flow like butter and sound fab when sung...

See, this is where the Brianistas always lose the rest of us.... We can talk and talk and talk about how anything having to do with Brian is "artistic" and important, and everything to do with Mike is "commercial" and business minded, blah blah, but  what the Brianistas will never ever ever begin to accept that there are BEACH BOYS fans who like, dig, LOVE Milke Love's work. Yes, all the cheeseball stuff that's driving you guy's hairlines even back farther than Mike's. It's OK (pun intended) to love and worship Brian for being Brian and to love and worship Mike for being Mike! These two guys ARE the Beach Boys, by and large, as far as history, charts, popularity, big bucks is concerned, and the world is all the more awesome for it.... There's more than enough Love to go around. Brian and Mike are awesome together and in their own ways, and we only have like, pshhh, a piddling 50 years of earthshattering recorded work that proves this. It's Ok, It's Ok, It's OK.... Get out there and have some fun and quit making the world black in white.

The song,, I find annoying. The start of Mike's obsession with sun, fun, beach songs. Mike has written some great lyrics for sure! I just find these insipid.

A much better song is "It's a Beautiful Day", though the lyrics aren't particularly noteworthy.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 07, 2013, 08:44:26 PM »

Well, it will be interesting to see where this goes.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 07, 2013, 08:52:58 PM »

And if those indeed are really Mike's quotes. Especially about how "he and Brian didn't write anything together" for the last album. Since uh....THEY DID! Ya know, the second single and two other songs that include a line apiece about "Good Vibrations" and "Fun, Fun, Fun" respectively.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 07, 2013, 09:00:35 PM »

I always thought those lyrics in the song 'Almost Summer' were related to the characters in the movie 'Almost Summer'. I never saw the movie but I bought the soundtrack. I really like the 'Celebration' albums. The Beach Boys should have released that material.

Just like McCartney needs Lennon, Love needs Wilson. Two worlds meet and it's magic. Remember BB50? It's sad that things can't get worked out.

I'm going to see Brian, Al and David this summer. Too bad Mike and Bruce won't be there. It would be.....
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 07, 2013, 09:38:30 PM »

As someone else recently noted, Brian's shows with Al and Dave will feature the guy who wrote VERY close to all they music they're likely to perform, the best current singer of any of the Beach Boys, the best Beach Boys instrumentalist, plus (in at least mine and Brian's opinions Grin ) the best Beach Boys non-Brian falsetto singer.  Mike and Bruce do have the original voice on most of the early stuff but it just seems odd when that group plays stuff like "God Only Knows", "Wouldn't It Be Nice", and "Help Me Rhonda", without Carl, Brian, or Al; especially in short sets like the most recent Hyde Park show. 

Brian's shows have always kinda been about "the music of Brian Wilson" and Al and Dave will probably make them seem even more like "the Beach Boys".

Seriously, have people been asleep like Rip Van Winkle for 15 years? What did they think Mike and Brian have done all this time? Skip big hits because the "original singer" on the recording wasn't there? Brian sang lead on Little St. Nick at a show I saw around 2005, to the great delight of the fans, in July! Of course they cover the core setlist.  He covers Mike's or Al's or Carl's leads.

At Al's shows, they cover GOK, WIBN, and Rhonda! They've always switched around leads.  Carl did Dennis' stuff, did Rhonda for a while; no one "owned" every song per se.

What is circular here is that any manner of argument is set forth to make Mike the incompetent villain.  It is imbalanced, not objective, and shows a "blindness" to well-sourced information.  And any theoretical "lyricist" could be brought aboard, and no one would have a commonality of experience with Brian that Mike has.  And, he is the closest thing to a brother left. And, Mike never has passed a chance by to plug his cousin's work. Several times at each show.

Nice try, but no cigar. The reason why the debate IS circular, is that kernels of truth exist amidst the vitriol. Never said Mike was incompetent...rather, quite competent (and perhaps devious as well). But be that as it may, it doesn't matter.

Beyond the fuzzy wuzzies of family, brothers and all that stuff, Mike doesn't have the creative gift he once did. Neither does Bruce. Years of 'sweatin' to the oldies' has wrenched it out of them. Another lyricist CAN provide a jolt, a spark, a catalyst to Brian (ala Scottie Bennett in TLOS). Mike couldn't have written those lyrics. No way, no how. He just doesn't have it anymore and neither does Bruce.

They is done.  Thank God we've still got an excited Brian Wilson in the studio. Que sera, sera indeed.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:47:57 PM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 07, 2013, 09:45:07 PM »

Bah-Doom-Boom! Drumroll

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: July 07, 2013, 09:57:37 PM »

Two things that stood out to me...

1. is Mike Love Not War or some of his solo stuff going to be released? that's kind of how I read it.
H

2.He's working on a book. OOOOh! That will be controversial.
Nicko1234
« Reply #341 on: July 07, 2013, 10:02:52 PM »

Two things that stood out to me...

1. is Mike Love Not War or some of his solo stuff going to be released? that's kind of how I read it.
H

2.He's working on a book. OOOOh! That will be controversial.

Those are indeed the 2 most interesting comments in the interview...and hence the two things that most posters on this board couldn`t care less about.  Smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 07, 2013, 10:03:52 PM »

As someone else recently noted, Brian's shows with Al and Dave will feature the guy who wrote VERY close to all they music they're likely to perform, the best current singer of any of the Beach Boys, the best Beach Boys instrumentalist, plus (in at least mine and Brian's opinions Grin ) the best Beach Boys non-Brian falsetto singer.  Mike and Bruce do have the original voice on most of the early stuff but it just seems odd when that group plays stuff like "God Only Knows", "Wouldn't It Be Nice", and "Help Me Rhonda", without Carl, Brian, or Al; especially in short sets like the most recent Hyde Park show.  

Seriously, have people been asleep like Rip Van Winkle for 15 years? What did they think Mike and Brian have done all this time? Skip big hits because the "original singer" on the recording wasn't there? Brian sang lead on Little St. Nick at a show I saw around 2005, to the great delight of the fans, in July! Of course they cover the core setlist.  He covers Mike's or Al's or Carl's leads.

At Al's shows, they cover GOK, WIBN, and Rhonda! They've always switched around leads.  Carl did Dennis' stuff, did Rhonda for a while; no one "owned" every song per se.

What is circular here is that any manner of argument is set forth to make Mike the incompetent villain.  It is imbalanced, not objective, and shows a "blindness" to well-sourced information.  And any theoretical "lyricist" could be brought aboard, and no one would have a commonality of experience with Brian that Mike has.  And, he is the closest thing to a brother left. And, Mike never has passed a chance by to plug his cousin's work. Several times at each show.

Nice try, but no cigar. The reason why the debate IS circular, is that kernels of truth exist amidst the vitriol. Never said Mike was incompetent...rather, quite competent (and perhaps devious as well). But be that as it may, it doesn't matter.

Beyond the fuzzy wuzzies of family, brothers and all that stuff, Mike doesn't have the creative gift he once did. Neither does Bruce. Years of 'sweatin' to the oldies' has wrenched it out of them. Another lyricist CAN provide a jolt, a spark, a catalyst to Brian (ala Scottie Bennett in TLOS). Mike couldn't have written those lyrics. No way, no how. He just doesn't have it anymore and neither does Bruce.

They is done.  Thank God we've still got an excited Brian Wilson in the studio. Que sera, sera indeed.

And this strain of Brianista will defend anything and everything Brian farts out as pure genius while declaring that other folks who have contributed mightily to music history are "done" ....

I'm so sorry they don't hand out awards for message board blathering.

Bah doom-boom on me who enjoys music that put several kids through college because a couple angry nerds think it somehow hurts precious Brian...... Pathetic.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 10:05:25 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: July 07, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »

I always thought those lyrics in the song 'Almost Summer' were related to the characters in the movie 'Almost Summer'. I never saw the movie but I bought the soundtrack.

The movie version has almost entirely different lyrics, that are decidedly about the characters therein in the third verse. First verse is about some dudes called Alan, Brian, Carl & Denny. The lyrics to the released version are totally generic.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 07, 2013, 10:15:40 PM »

And this strain of Brianista will defend anything and everything Brian farts out as pure genius while declaring that other folks who have contributed mightily to music history are "done" ....

Bah doom-boom on me who enjoys music that put several kids through college because a couple angry nerds think it somehow hurts precious Brian...... Pathetic.

You honestly think Bruce Johnston has anything left to offer creatively in 2013? Come on Pinder. Dude hasn't released a new solo song since the '70s. There hasn't been a new Beach Boys song written by him since 1992. And even though he had a few "new" compositions on a Doris Day album a year or two ago, they were recorded in the '80s! And his offering for the latest Beach Boys album was a rerecording of a song of his from the mid '80s.

So yeah, maybe he has a bunch of sweet songs tucked away at home, but I sure doubt it. He hasn't been creatively active in over 20 years. So yeah, creatively I'd say he's done. Finished. Love to see him prove me wrong though.

And Mike, well...he did record a bunch of solo stuff earlier in the '00s. But only three songs from that project have come out. If he's so proud of his work he should release it, even if that means pressing up some copies to sell online and at shows, and having a download version. He's not gonna get a solo deal with any label that matters. But yeah, I hope he puts some new stuff out. I'll get it in a second. He also mentioned First Love. I'd buy that too. Even if they put Looking Back With Love I'd probably get that too.

See the thing is yeah, Brian is by far my favorite Beach Boys and he obviously still has the most to offer creatively, by far. But if Mike and Bruce wanted to show they are still creatively relevant they should do something about it.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: July 07, 2013, 10:19:38 PM »

You honestly think Bruce Johnston has anything left to offer creatively in 2013? Come on Pinder. Dude hasn't released a new solo song since the '70s. There hasn't been a new Beach Boys song written by him since 1992. And even though he had a few "new" compositions on a Doris Day album a year or two ago, they were recorded in the '80s! And his offering for the latest Beach Boys album was a rerecording of a song of his from the mid '80s.

So yeah, maybe he has a bunch of sweet songs tucked away at home, but I sure doubt it. He hasn't been creatively active in over 20 years. So yeah, creatively I'd say he's done. Finished. Love to see him prove me wrong though.

And Mike, well...he did record a bunch of solo stuff earlier in the '00s. But only three songs from that project have come out. If he's so proud of his work he should release it, even if that means pressing up some copies to sell online and at shows, and having a download version. He's not gonna get a solo deal with any label that matters. But yeah, I hope he puts some new stuff out. I'll get it in a second. He also mentioned First Love. I'd buy that too. Even if they put Looking Back With Love I'd probably get that too.

See the thing is yeah, Brian is by far my favorite Beach Boys and he obviously still has the most to offer creatively, by far. But if Mike and Bruce wanted to show they are still creatively relevant they should do something about it.

Well, ya know, Brian has the name which he has earned, which people prop up to the detriment of anyone else who happened to be in the same band.... If Mike or Bruce had teams of "caring" people who would carry them into the studio and stand back in awe at any three or four chords they managed to paw out as "pure genius" it would probably motivate them to do something about it, but instead they have oceans of assholes tearing them apart 24/7. If I were in their shoes I'd do nothing whatever other than exactly what I could to piss these people off to no end.

I mean what exactly has Brian done since the 70's that is so freaking genius? Nothing! He has one somewhat decent solo album, a couple embarrassing albums, a re-tread of old material, and one other somewhat decent album, and a compromised attempt at a proper Beach Boys album.... And this is a guy who has everyone rooting for him: all the goodwill in the world.... I love Brian as much as anyone else, but I will not sit here and pretend he's laid golden egg after golden egg over the last 30 years just so I can feel better about bashing Mike and Bruce...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 10:25:49 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Sutter Cane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 07, 2013, 10:32:53 PM »

Well, ya know, Brian has the name which he has earned, which people prop up to the detriment of anyone else who happened to be in the same band.... If Mike or Bruce had teams of "caring" people who would carry them into the studio and stand back in awe at any three or four chords they managed to paw out as "pure genius" it would probably motivate them to do something about it, but instead they have oceans of assholes tearing them apart 24/7. If I were in their shoes I'd do nothing whatever other than exactly what I could to piss these people off to no end.

I don't get exactly what you're trying to get at here. Are you suggesting that Brian didn't earn his reputation, because from where i'm sitting he pretty much continued to contribute really great material to the band throughout his entire tenure with them, or are you suggesting that a guy with a long history of mental issues shouldn't be allowed to be in a somewhat "safe" (for lack of a better word) environment while he's working. Both of those seem pretty unreasonable. I mean Mike did some great stuff with the band too, but he also was responsible for Summer In Paradise as well, so it's not like people don't have legitimate reason do dislike a lot of the work he's done in more recent years.  

I mean what exactly has Brian done since the 70's that is so freaking genius? Nothing! He has one somewhat decent solo album, a couple embarrassing albums, a re-tread of old material, and one other somewhat decent album, and a compromised attempt at a proper Beach Boys album.... And this is a guy who has everyone rooting for him: all the goodwill in the world.... I love Brian as much as anyone else, but I will not sit here and pretend he's laid golden egg after golden egg over the last 30 years just so I can feel better about bashing Mike and Bruce...

I think you and I may have slightly different tastes in music.

Brian Wilson was indeed a mixed bag, with several  fantastic tracks but with several pretty awful ones as well.

I wouldn't call imagination embarassing, since its main sin is just being boring.

GIMOH has a few good tracks on there even if the thing really doesn't work on the whole

and TLOS, Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin, and In the Key of Disney are all really solid albums.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 10:40:20 PM by Sutter Cane » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 07, 2013, 10:41:41 PM »

I mean what exactly has Brian done since the 70's that is so freaking genius? Nothing! He has one somewhat decent solo album, a couple embarrassing albums, a re-tread of old material, and one other somewhat decent album, and a compromised attempt at a proper Beach Boys album....

And with that comment, you have jumped the shark. Surf's up - watch out for the sharks! Sheesh.

Notice something here; I never called his post '88 output pure gold. Quite the contrary. But what I have said is that he's on a creative roll from TLOS on (I'm also including the bonus tracks, such as the Bacharach session, Message Man, Something Good, etc.). If you don't feel that, well...you're in the minority. And suddenly I'm the pessimist! Double sheesh.

What's going on with Brian nowadays is akin to Dylan's resurrection from Time Out of Mind onward. Ditto for McCartney and Flaming Pie.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 07, 2013, 10:45:05 PM »

I mean what exactly has Brian done since the 70's that is so freaking genius? Nothing! He has one somewhat decent solo album, a couple embarrassing albums, a re-tread of old material, and one other somewhat decent album, and a compromised attempt at a proper Beach Boys album....

And with that comment, you have jumped the shark. Surf's up - watch out for the sharks! Sheesh.

Notice something here; I never called his post '88 output pure gold. Quite the contrary. But what I have said is that he's on a creative roll from TLOS on (I'm also including the bonus tracks, such as the Bacharach session, Message Man, Something Good, etc.). If you don't feel that, well...you're in the minority. And suddenly I'm the pessimist! Double sheesh.

What's going on with Brian nowadays is akin to Dylan's resurrection from Time Out of Mind onward. Ditto for McCartney and Flaming Pie.

Um, no...... Nothing Brian's done (since 1972, frankly) can touch Time Out Of Mind, Love & Theft, Modern Times, Together Through Life, or Tempest (seriously) ..... Not even close..... The fact that you could even suggest so is evidence of pure, blinded-by-the-light hero worship of the silliest sort.

Sumahama's 10 times better than anything Brian's belched out since 1979.  And I highly doubt I'm really in the minority. Folks at basement Brianista meetings will no doubt never admit it, but I'll bet top $$ most fans will take MIU, KTSA, LA, BBS85, SIP (well, maybe not SIP) 15 Big Ones any day of the week over any Brian solo stuff.....
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 10:50:56 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 07, 2013, 10:55:47 PM »

Wall

To paraphrase the great Joe Pesci, you're a funny guy Pinder. Funny like a clown!

Don't worry though...I plan to see Brian, David and Al stumble and bumble their way through their concert at Stage AE in Pittsburgh. I'll come home with a smile on my face, and I will share my glow with internet-land. This will no doubt bring you much sorrow.  Grin

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx