gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:48:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love: 'There are a lot of fallacies about me'  (Read 99325 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 06, 2013, 06:04:21 AM »

Brian wrote some of the lyrics to at least one, if not both, of the Mike co-authored songs, so he's partly to blame for the silly lyrics, too. I'm not sure why people who are mad at Mike for stopping the tour aren't glad that Mike stopped the tour, because they don't like Mike, anyways. Did you Mike haters really enjoy Mike's car medleys and monologues between the songs?  You can go to the BAD tour instead. I realize it's only a handful of dates, but Mike has nothing to do with Brian not booking a full tour. Perhaps the reasons Brian is only playing a few gigs this year would have also precluded him from participating in a longer reunion tour, as well.

The neverending paradox.
In my opinion, I accept Mike as an essential part of the BBs live show. Doesn't mean I have to like Mike trying to run the group or boss the other members around.
Someone has to be the boss. Mike has the name, so it makes sense. Mike has always deferred to Brian in the studio, where he is the boss.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 06, 2013, 07:14:28 AM »

It seems this topic became another Mike Love bashing  LOL, Imagine if ML wrote an auto-biography?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 07:28:58 AM by EthanJames » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #177 on: July 06, 2013, 07:28:22 AM »

Whats the last great lyric Mike wrote? not slagging him off, just curious.

IMO His lyric writing has become extremely lazy in the last 3 decades and even earlier. Id love to see him write with Brian again with the rule that any nostalgic stuff is strictly banned.
Which when interpreted means it (hopefully) won't happen again. Brian has been done with surf, sand and beaches for decades while myKe languishes in the past. Why did Brian keep seeking out other lyricists when he had luHv right there? Because he wanted to move above and beyond where he had already been. And yeah, I'm slagging him off. Bash away. Wink
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 07:30:15 AM by oldsurferdude » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: July 06, 2013, 08:09:15 AM »

The champagne was drunk

How dare you go on to comment about the state of the champagne at Dennis' memorial?

By the way, I'm pretty sure it was "drank", not drunk.
Andrew is correct. Past participle of drink is drunk
Drink - present
Drank - simple past
Drunk - past participle.

It's actually getrunken. In German.

Example: Ich hab' zuviel getrunken.

Das glaub' ich dir aufs Wort. Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 08:27:17 AM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: July 06, 2013, 08:26:40 AM »

"Beaches in Mind"? really? If that's the best he's god well maybe another album should not be on the cards.

Isn't it funny. Mike had issues with a perfect Beach Boys tour. The type of tour The Beach Boys deserved and now he's spewing all this BS about writing with Brian.

How the hell does he have defenders on this board.

Wasn't the title "Beaches In Mind" actually Brian's idea and Mike was asked to write lyrics to that title? I may be wrong, if someone knows for sure please speak up.

"If that's the best he's god" is kind of an exaggeration... Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jason
« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2013, 09:08:14 AM »

It seems this topic became another Mike Love bashing  LOL, Imagine if ML wrote an auto-biography?

What else do you expect from a bunch of cultists?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2013, 09:48:21 AM »

I hate to play the "I know you are but what am I?" type games, but you are aware you are probably more "fanatic" about Mike than all the "Brianistas" on this board combined. At first back in the day I thought your obsession with Mike was ironic. Then I came to respect the fact that someone was correcting some inaccurate points about Mike. But there really ain't no defending dude when it comes to the fact that he hasn't written a good Beach Boys lyric since....maybe the '70s?

And I suspect certain posters here really hitch their wagon to the Mike and Bruce train due to their brand of "let me keep all my money, screw the poor" politics. Or as hipsters with rich parents call it, "libertarianism" (since calling yourself a conservative or Republican is still considered quite lame).
Jason
« Reply #182 on: July 06, 2013, 10:15:28 AM »

I'm actually not a fanatic about any of the Beach Boys, nor am I obsessed with any of them. I am merely objective. And yes, most of my "praise" of Mike has been ironic. I like to think of myself as the anti-oldsurferdude.

It also has nothing to do with politics.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 06, 2013, 10:20:33 AM »

Or as hipsters with rich parents call it, "libertarianism" (since calling yourself a conservative or Republican is still considered quite lame).

LOL

Well played.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 06, 2013, 10:27:43 AM »

Or as hipsters with rich parents call it, "libertarianism" (since calling yourself a conservative or Republican is still considered quite lame).

LOL

Well played.

Except he's completely wrong.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:33:42 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2013, 10:53:12 AM »

It seems this topic became another Mike Love bashing  LOL, Imagine if ML wrote an auto-biography?

I hate to play the "I know you are but what am I?" type games, but you are aware you are probably more "fanatic" about Mike than all the "Brianistas" on this board combined. At first back in the day I thought your obsession with Mike was ironic. Then I came to respect the fact that someone was correcting some inaccurate points about Mike. But there really ain't no defending dude when it comes to the fact that he hasn't written a good Beach Boys lyric since....maybe the '70s?

And I suspect certain posters here really hitch their wagon to the Mike and Bruce train due to their brand of "let me keep all my money, screw the poor" politics. Or as hipsters with rich parents call it, "libertarianism" (since calling yourself a conservative or Republican is still considered quite lame).
And, I could say that this makes you a bonafide Brianista. I will say that I do have a favorite Beach Boy, but it is not Mike, but Carl. More so, I am a Beach Boys fan and totally believe that the personal and business part of their lives are their business, not mine or ours. I am way more interested in talking about releases, concerts and the workings in the studio. A lot of what is said in here is nothing more than rumormongering and just plain hate of band members, especially Mike and Bruce. While I enjoy being a member here, I am not at all thrilled with many of you who continue to behave the way that you do.  Sorry, but it had to be said.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
oldsurferdude
« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2013, 11:27:59 AM »

It cuts both ways Dr.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 06, 2013, 11:55:34 AM »

It cuts both ways Dr.
How's that OSD? Learning about what really went on, and learning from people like Stephen, Jon, Ian, Alan Boyd and AGD is less appealing than spewing hate and spreading lies and rumors like they are facts, cuts it the other way? I think not! I'll stick to what I wrote above, thank you.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 06, 2013, 11:59:47 AM »

It cuts both ways Dr.
Even with you, when your not spewing the hate, you have great things to share about the band. I know we are close in age, because we experienced and lived through all of the Beach Boys career; the good times and the bad.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 06, 2013, 12:26:57 PM »

And, I could say that this makes you a bonafide Brianista. I will say that I do have a favorite Beach Boy, but it is not Mike, but Carl. More so, I am a Beach Boys fan and totally believe that the personal and business part of their lives are their business, not mine or ours. I am way more interested in talking about releases, concerts and the workings in the studio. A lot of what is said in here is nothing more than rumormongering and just plain hate of band members, especially Mike and Bruce. While I enjoy being a member here, I am not at all thrilled with many of you who continue to behave the way that you do.  Sorry, but it had to be said.

Give me a break. Only reason why somewhat personal and business stuff has come up is due to one of the members effectively ending the reunion. Well I guess two, but hey, I'm not so sure Bruce thinks for himself. Otherwise, I very highly doubt anybody on this board cares about the business and private lives of these guys. Except for AGD, who knows which day Brian and Mike were shooting hoops, and how many times Brian walked around the pool on September 17, 1978. But seriously, this board is about the music. Actually there is no better board on the internet as far as interesting topics, as well as knowledgeable fans and insiders who help enlighten us. And includes people like Desper, and also Stebbins and Mike Eder. And even Andrew Doe sometimes still.

And honestly, I don't think there was really a whole ton of anti-Mike Love rhetoric around here until late 2012. I mean, I remember there was a decent selection of people on here that thought him and Bruce going around as "The Beach Boys" was lame. But everybody seemed to be okay with the fact that Brian didn't wanna work with them, and that Al was doing his thing. And things could have gone back to that way again after C50 if things ended a bit more smoothly. Instead what we've learned since C50 unfortunately reinforced the notion that Mike Love has an ego the likes of which few have rivaled, and that's a shame. Because I think the man is a great singer, and has written some great lyrics (even in this millennium).

And lastly, call me a Brianista. I don't care. I personally just consider myself a Beach Boys fan, including Mike and even Bruce. But if it wasn't for Brian, I wouldn't be a fan. So yeah. Whatever.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 02:23:00 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 06, 2013, 02:00:45 PM »

Just the fact that this thread is nearing 9 pages of mostly Mike hate, speaks for itself. Though you yourself may claim to be a Beach Boys fan versus a Mike hater or Brianista, calling out TRBB for defending Mike was a bit uncalled for. It amazes me that no matter how Mike answers a question, people here always find some fault with what he has to say. He is entitled to feel how he feels. I think the big issue with Mike is that he cannot have a normal releationship with Brian. From what I have read, Mike was/is constantly dealing the wifeandmanagers or Joe Thomas as middlemen. This type of situation must be extremely uncomfortable and it has been going on since the Landy days. I may be way off base here, but I'd venture to say that if Brian was using the same management company as The Beach Boys Band, there might have been fewer issues. For all we know, Mike could be using the other stated issues as an excuse for not wanting to deal with issues from Brian's people. I suppose we will never know for sure.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #191 on: July 06, 2013, 02:08:07 PM »

I just don't like Mike's eyes. They're cold, like a doll's eyes.

There - I've said it.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #192 on: July 06, 2013, 02:08:38 PM »

Anyway, so anyone any idea when this article is actually going to appear in print?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 02:12:35 PM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 06, 2013, 02:11:29 PM »

And again, too! Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 06, 2013, 02:24:18 PM »

Gosh. I couldn't say because they each have their own unique charm, but when Good Vibrations went to No 1 in 1966 and Great Britain voted us the No 1 group (1) – No 2 the Beatles, No 3 the Stones – that was pretty special.

Shocked Then I came home, to discover Brian was f-ing with the greatest formula that got us to top - and proceeded to blew my top.
It was all downhill from there --  This is why my Beach Boys shows are mostly pre-smile material with a little Kokomo thrown in.  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #195 on: July 06, 2013, 02:33:42 PM »

I just don't like Mike's eyes. They're cold, like a doll's eyes.

And I go to bed chuckling.........
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 06, 2013, 02:36:01 PM »

Just the fact that this thread is nearing 9 pages of mostly Mike hate, speaks for itself. Though you yourself may claim to be a Beach Boys fan versus a Mike hater or Brianista, calling out TRBB for defending Mike was a bit uncalled for. It amazes me that no matter how Mike answers a question, people here always find some fault with what he has to say. He is entitled to feel how he feels. I think the big issue with Mike is that he cannot have a normal releationship with Brian. From what I have read, Mike was/is constantly dealing the wifeandmanagers or Joe Thomas as middlemen. This type of situation must be extremely uncomfortable and it has been going on since the Landy days. I may be way off base here, but I'd venture to say that if Brian was using the same management company as The Beach Boys Band, there might have been fewer issues. For all we know, Mike could be using the other stated issues as an excuse for not wanting to deal with issues from Brian's people. I suppose we will never know for sure.

Personally I think calling out TRBB was just fine considering he called anybody who doesn't care for Mike a "cultist." Don't know about you, but that's pretty fuckin' ridiculous.

And yeah, I agree Mike's allowed to feel how he feels. And so are we. Especially when he breaks up our favorite band. And let me add, just as you say you don't like "rumor mongering" you throw out Brian's "wifeandmanagers" and whatnot. Do you know anything about that? Betcha don't! So you're pretty much basing your opinions off of the same "rumors" as the others. And it's not like anybody wants Mike to die or something (well maybe OSD). Nearly all of us think the man has done great work. And we think he could do more great work rather than treading water, if he only decided to stick with the guy who wrote the songs that made him famous.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 06, 2013, 02:46:22 PM »

Just the fact that this thread is nearing 9 pages of mostly Mike hate, speaks for itself.

Saying that the anti-Mike posts in this thread qualify as "hate" goes way too far, IMO. Some folks are irritated, some frustrated, some disappointed. But I've seen precious little actual hate. I think that to certain M&B partisans, the only way they can conceive of someone disliking Mike Love is for crazy, irrational, fun-hating reasons. But I'd say that most of us who are unhappy with Mike's recent actions bear the man no ill will, and in fact feel like he's made immense contributions to the band. We're just intensely disappointed with his actions, and the way in which they confirm long-term patterns of treating the band and the music like disposable commodities.

I think the big issue with Mike is that he cannot have a normal releationship with Brian. From what I have read, Mike was/is constantly dealing the wifeandmanagers or Joe Thomas as middlemen. This type of situation must be extremely uncomfortable and it has been going on since the Landy days. I may be way off base here, but I'd venture to say that if Brian was using the same management company as The Beach Boys Band, there might have been fewer issues. For all we know, Mike could be using the other stated issues as an excuse for not wanting to deal with issues from Brian's people. I suppose we will never know for sure.

So what does Mike want from Brian that all of those middlemen are preventing? According to Mike, before the C50 celebrations, he and Brian conversed regularly and visited one another. That sounds like a relatively normal relationship to me.

It instead sounds to me that Mike is frustrated by the people around Brian because he (Mike) wants to be the one controlling and running Brian's creative life. (And why wouldn't he? TWGMTR proved that Brian Wilson songs and arrangements and the Beach Boys name can still move records.) Given that he can't do that, he now badmouths the record, the tour, and his cousin. In other words, Mike has allowed business to ruin a perfectly functional personal relationship.

And regardless of how you feel about the man, that's a pretty detestable way to act.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 02:47:56 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 06, 2013, 02:48:29 PM »

Also: Brian chose to marry Melinda. He did not choose to have Mike Love as a cousin.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 06, 2013, 03:06:34 PM »

Maybe it would be better to direct our disappointment at those who made Mike so put off after he had been led to believe certain things, had gone the extra mile, and played ball with them on their terms. Maybe the wrong guy is getting blamed for the wrong reasons.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx