gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:52:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love: 'There are a lot of fallacies about me'  (Read 99317 times)
zachrwolfe
« Reply #575 on: July 15, 2013, 10:15:23 PM »

People all around the world in every nation
Like to get together for some excitations
If you’re a girl appreciates her recreation
Why don’t you let me take you on a love vacation

Song-smithery at it's finest, guys.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 16, 2013, 03:12:00 AM »

I can.... First off, since Mike Campbell is all over Petty's solo stuff, it's natural that the Heartbreakers feel will be there.... However, the absence of Stan Lynch and that Jeff Lynn slime is all over the solo albums (JL tried to ruin Learning To Fly but only partially succeeded) .... The awful JL drum sound and drum machines are very present on Full Moon Fever, for instance, whereas Learning To Fly, while still bearing that putrid sound, has a creative drummer behind the kit....

Wow, astonishing amounts of Petty scholarship going on here.  :-)  In my defence, said college buddy and I were having these conversations around 1993/4, when the only recent Heartbreakers album was "Into The Great Wide Open", which sounds way more like Jeff Lynne and "Full Moon Fever" than anything else.  And neither one of us was the type of person who could even name Stan Lynch, at least till Rolling Stone mentioned Steve Ferrone had replaced him.  (And I mainly remembered Ferrone because of Petty singing "Yer So Bad" live with the lyrics "My sister got lonely / Married Ferronely"...)

Cheers,
Jon Blum
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:05:08 AM by Jonathan Blum » Logged
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 16, 2013, 03:33:12 AM »

This board is as inept with identifying satire as Al is inept with operating technology.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 16, 2013, 09:35:28 AM »

If what I have been stating here in this thread is even somewhat correct, then Mike shot down a new album because he didn't want a repeat from last year.

A surprisingly strong album that was also a pretty solid commercial hit.
Yes, it was very strong. I am strictly talking of writing the bulk of an album together.

I know. But if the end result was so good, I can't fathom why Mike couldn't put aside his desire to relive his own rose-coloured view of the past in favour of a similar project. If he didn't have a track record of getting all hung up about really great works that he wasn't involved in in the past, I might be a bit more forgiving. As it is, this is just another sign of his ongoing childishness.
Agreed, the main problem with Mike seems to be his unwillingness to let go of the past and accept change in the BBs. This is a man still obsessed with a long passed "surf" fad from the early 1960s.

So SMiLE Brian...it seems we yet again disagree.

Mike is the least ego centered Beach Boy. The rest of them really care about maintaining images long before set in stone. How much have any of the other members changed, in terms of public image? Little. Mike is a real person, and accepts himself, no matter where that may lead him.

That's right. Mike accepts that he is better than the rest, and humbly, doesn't need to prove it to anyone. Instead, he prefers to release small golden, nuggets of song-smithery like "Summer of Love," and "Still Cruisin,"  whcih was even deemed superb enough to use in Lethal Weapon 2. The man is a national treasure.

So Michael you finally showed up here to defend yourself. Dont go overboard though.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 16, 2013, 09:36:40 AM »

And just in case that post was sarcasm, not satire.  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 16, 2013, 09:47:28 AM »

If what I have been stating here in this thread is even somewhat correct, then Mike shot down a new album because he didn't want a repeat from last year.

A surprisingly strong album that was also a pretty solid commercial hit.
Yes, it was very strong. I am strictly talking of writing the bulk of an album together.

I know. But if the end result was so good, I can't fathom why Mike couldn't put aside his desire to relive his own rose-coloured view of the past in favour of a similar project. If he didn't have a track record of getting all hung up about really great works that he wasn't involved in in the past, I might be a bit more forgiving. As it is, this is just another sign of his ongoing childishness.
Agreed, the main problem with Mike seems to be his unwillingness to let go of the past and accept change in the BBs. This is a man still obsessed with a long passed "surf" fad from the early 1960s.

So SMiLE Brian...it seems we yet again disagree.

Mike is the least ego centered Beach Boy. The rest of them really care about maintaining images long before set in stone. How much have any of the other members changed, in terms of public image? Little. Mike is a real person, and accepts himself, no matter where that may lead him.

That's right. Mike accepts that he is better than the rest, and humbly, doesn't need to prove it to anyone. Instead, he prefers to release small golden, nuggets of song-smithery like "Summer of Love," and "Still Cruisin,"  whcih was even deemed superb enough to use in Lethal Weapon 2. The man is a national treasure.

So Michael you finally showed up here to defend yourself. Dont go overboard though.

Nice avatar. I can tell we'll be firm friends.

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #581 on: July 16, 2013, 09:57:51 AM »

I don't know about fallacies, but there's certainly a lot of phalluses in this thread.
Jason
« Reply #582 on: July 16, 2013, 10:08:59 AM »

I don't know about fallacies, but there's certainly a lot of phalluses in this thread.

They are engaged in a life-or-death struggle for territory.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 16, 2013, 10:46:15 AM »

Get a room.  Wink

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #584 on: July 16, 2013, 10:50:55 AM »

Takes me right back to the school shower room........
Jason
« Reply #585 on: July 16, 2013, 10:52:37 AM »

Takes me right back to the school shower room........

I was actually referencing Python.

"Here we see a pantomime Princess Margaret engaged in a life-or-death struggle with her breakfast!"
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 16, 2013, 11:01:06 AM »

Get a room.  Wink

Scary!  LOL

Necessity knows no law
Jason
« Reply #587 on: July 16, 2013, 11:13:36 AM »

You kids have fun!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 16, 2013, 11:34:34 AM »

I think you're obsessed with your image of Mike.

Agree with SMiLE Brian due to The Man's words and actions. Stuck in the Sixites. LOL

Necessity knows no law
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 16, 2013, 11:35:53 AM »

Agree with SMiLE Brian due to The Man's words and actions. Stuck in the Sixites. LOL

You win this round SMiLE Brian...but I'll be back.

Jason
« Reply #590 on: July 16, 2013, 12:15:49 PM »

His "image" is nothing other than a gross caricature. He sees a Spitting Image version of Michael that does not exist and never did exist.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 16, 2013, 03:17:09 PM »

His "image" is nothing other than a gross caricature. He sees a Spitting Image version of Michael that does not exist and never did exist.

For some there will always be "heroes and villains" in teh Beach Boys' saga...

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 16, 2013, 06:04:34 PM »

Bring your buddy John Stamos next time....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
oldsurferdude
« Reply #593 on: July 16, 2013, 07:42:06 PM »

Don't forget to bring myKe's tamborine along with his mahntrah. Razz
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 16, 2013, 07:43:24 PM »

Sure, me friend -- but lest you be deceived about the true nature of my avatar, you should examine my entire photoshop concept before jumping to conclusions.

Necessity knows no law
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 16, 2013, 09:18:28 PM »

Maybe I will.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 17, 2013, 06:18:56 PM »

You seem happy to have Stamos as a BB...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 17, 2013, 06:20:09 PM »

You seem happy to have Stamos as a BB...

Such a beautiful soul (and face!) fits in with the Beach Boys entourage well.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 17, 2013, 06:21:43 PM »

You like picking up grannies with him. Brian is the BBs and you know it.

oldsurferdude
« Reply #599 on: July 17, 2013, 06:25:09 PM »

You like picking up grannies with him. Brian is the BBs and you know it.
Pirate Serenade Drinking Buddies King Hug Hello Thumbs Up w00t! Kiss Happy Dance Love Rock! High Five
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx