gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:40:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why was the band more popular in Britain than America in the late 60s/early 70s?  (Read 8791 times)
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2013, 07:41:26 PM »

The Beach Boys were much more popular in Britain than American in the late 60s and early 70s. It seemed every record did significantly better in the UK than the US at that time. There was a definite fervor among UK fans. Other than "Americans must be stupid," why do you think the UK embraced the band more than US fans of the period (at least on a mainstream level)?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 08:12:50 PM »

The Beach Boys were associated with what had become very square, unhip images of America -- cars, school spirit, etc. That baggage was fatal to them in the U.S. But it didn't carry the same weight in the U.K., where they had become popular later on anyhow, with material that wasn't quite as gimmicky. Without that baggage, the music was allowed to speak for itself.
BeHereInTheMorning
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 08:42:15 PM »

Seventh-rate album reviews like this didn't help:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/wild-honey-19680224

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/friends-19680824

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/20-20-19690419

I apologize for the links, but I feel that if there's one magazine that hurt the Beach Boys back home, 'twas the smarmy San Fran upstart rag.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 09:14:33 PM »

Boy, those are some super obnoxious reviews. "After Pet Sounds, the only flaw of which was its indulgence in a sometimes over-lush sound, they cleaned up and came out with Smiley Smile, so controlled, precise and tight that it risked (and at times lost to) sterility."

Fine! Can't win either way!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 09:16:45 PM »

I think this reminder was posted for Smile4ever a few months ago but may be time again.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13911.0.html

Lots of questions, most only suitable for the thread below.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8214.0.html

Just saying....
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 09:29:45 PM »

I apologize for the links, but I feel that if there's one magazine that hurt the Beach Boys back home, 'twas the smarmy San Fran upstart rag.

Well, that "smarmy San Fran upstart rag" got rid of a bunch of assholes that had no creds for being record reviewers and hired some real reviewers that know what they're talking about:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-10-coolest-summer-albums-of-all-time-20120718/the-beach-boys-wild-honey-1967-20120717

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 09:45:53 PM »

Pretty Funky--How was that posted for me? How are any of my questions or posts questioned as illegitimate?

The fact is, I've been a Beach Boys fan since I was literally a young boy. But for one reason or another, I've never really investigated the online fanbase in the form of message boards. Here at Smiley Smile, there's a shockingly active and incredibly knowledgeable fan base. As far as I'm concerned, this board is a rare opportunity for me to intelligently talk to other fans about the group and its music.  There is a wide spectrum of age demographics on this board, which is awesome. I happen to be part of Gen Y, and don't personally have many deep conversations about The Beach Boys among my peers. So I apologize if I appear to ask too many questions in a short time period, but a lot of ideas have come to my mind and I now have somewhere to channel these thoughts. I think the first post I did here months ago was kind of a joke (Topic: Are Beach Boys kids proud or do "they think their old man's really a square?"), but otherwise I've simply been trying to tap the resources on this board for information. I love to learn and I'm not here to cause any trouble.

My question in this thread is/was completely valid. I don't even see how it could be viewed as otherwise. During the aforementioned time period, the band was very popular in the UK, and not popular at all in their home country of the US. This is despite the fact that they're often perceived to represent the "spirit of America" to many fans (pun not intended until I wrote it). That being said, it's very interesting that the UK would embrace them feverishly while they were ignored in America. Seems like an intriguing discussion about culture, music, and The Beach Boys. To me, that would seem to fit well within the board's purpose for existence.
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 09:47:18 PM »

For the record, I wasn't even a member of these boards whenever that notice was posted. So it wasn't for me.
BeHereInTheMorning
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 10:08:28 PM »

Well, that "smarmy San Fran upstart rag" got rid of a bunch of assholes that had no creds for being record reviewers and hired some real reviewers that know what they're talking about:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-10-coolest-summer-albums-of-all-time-20120718/the-beach-boys-wild-honey-1967-20120717

Not sure that I'd call Wild Honey a summer album but at least it's praise.

My whole thing was that the magazine was none too kind in the late '60s and early '70s when the group really needed it.
MBE
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 10:19:14 PM »

They were a fresher act as only I Get Around had hit before Barbara Ann. I think it often happens that the American image appeals to people overseas more, vice versa with English groups here in the States.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 10:34:48 PM »

I think this reminder was posted for Smile4ever a few months ago but may be time again.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13911.0.html

Lots of questions, most only suitable for the thread below.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,8214.0.html

Just saying....

How's that? This is actually a good question, and sure beats some of the other threads we've been having lately.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 11:19:21 PM »

Early this year we had many threads started over a short period of time, most of them 'lists' by one poster. After some looking back, it wasn't you Smile4ever but it did result in this thread.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15050.0.html

For that I put my hands up. It was someone else so sorry.

You have asked some good questions sure, but maybe myself and others have been around so long, perhaps too long, that we have seen the topics discussed over and over.

So yeah....that may be my problem...not yours.

No bad vibes I hope.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 02:15:39 AM »

Those RS reviews weren't as bad as i was honestly expecting.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Nicko1234
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 03:01:47 AM »

Those RS reviews weren't as bad as i was honestly expecting.

Indeed. I'm not sure how anybody could really argue with the 20/20 review at all.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 03:48:31 AM »

Thanks for the reviews! I always looked for such articles from back then.

Smiley Smile - sterile, tight and controlled  LOL

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 06:06:31 AM »

The Beach Boys were associated with what had become very square, unhip images of America -- cars, school spirit, etc. That baggage was fatal to them in the U.S. But it didn't carry the same weight in the U.K., where they had become popular later on anyhow, with material that wasn't quite as gimmicky. Without that baggage, the music was allowed to speak for itself.

I was aware of that but quite frankly never put it all together like you did.  As I believe Mike Love said "cars, girls and surfing were okay but there was a war going on" which is pretty much the truth.  It was probably one of of the one failings (if you can call it that) about The Beach Boys music in the sixties that they rarely (if ever) addressed the agitated political and social climate that was swirling around everyone's head in those days.  I remember reading in I believe Kingsley Abbot's book about "Pet Sounds" that politics or current events didn't interest Brian Wilson all that much.  It turned him off and what he was more interested in writing about were about personal connections between people.  So the fact that The Beach Boys didn't dabble in writing songs that catered to the viewpoint of the counter culture probably hurt their image in the United States in the late sixties. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 06:46:23 AM »

You cant account for "taste" in different nations.

Slim Whitman was huge in the UK but a mild sensation in his native land.

In the matter of the BB I have to give Kudos to the English.  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 07:03:07 AM »

I have to say those reviews are not second rate at all but fairly spot on.  I am sure sure you can find some wrong headed reviews of the bbs in rs but those reviews aren't them
Jason
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 07:05:10 AM »

Rolling Stone is always going be remembered by me as an unsightly blemish on the otherwise distinguished career of Ralph J. Gleason. That rag (along with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame) is a complete and utter joke; I wouldn't even use it to wipe my ass.

The Beach Boys aren't the only band that the magazine trashed and then lavished praise on years later. Led Zeppelin's the most classic example of that faint praise. Weezer, as well.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 07:14:33 AM »

Well, just from the perspective of someone who lived through it all, I don't think it's a matter of better taste. I think American music became somewhat cynical in the aftermath of the "Summer of Love's" failure to revolutionize the world. Youth culture tended to drift toward more angry, heavy rock. Angry and edgy was in, peace and love were out. Sure, you could still find softer fare on the radio, much of it successful. I'm thinking of the Carpenters, Chicago, etc. But, the Beach Boys certainly weren't edgy, and they didn't quite adopt a seventies frame of reference. One of the reasons Endless Summer was such a hit, IMO, is because America was ready for a break from all that anger, and the American Graffiti/Happy Days era gave them a way back to less strident times. I'm guessing battle fatigue never quite hit England, so they could better appreciate what the Boys were offering up.

In saying this, I see a lot of blame laid at the feet of Endless Summer. People say if it hadn't been for that album's success, the Beach Boys wouldn't have drifted into being a nostalgia act, etc. I think, without Endless Summer, they might have just faded away altogether. I was one of those who bought that album. I grew up listening to the Boys on the radio in the early sixties and loved their sound and the fun lyrics. But, since I was young, I didn't have any of their records. Endless Summer gave me all of those great singles in one big package. I still have that vinyl. The poster used to be on my in my room wall, but seems to have disappeared. It's too bad the Boys couldn't find a way to capitalize on that renewed fame and spin it into a new direction.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 07:27:06 AM »

Well, just from the perspective of someone who lived through it all, I don't think it's a matter of better taste. I think American music became somewhat cynical in the aftermath of the "Summer of Love's" failure to revolutionize the world. Youth culture tended to drift toward more angry, heavy rock. Angry and edgy was in, peace and love were out. Sure, you could still find softer fare on the radio, much of it successful. I'm thinking of the Carpenters, Chicago, etc. But, the Beach Boys certainly weren't edgy, and they didn't quite adopt a seventies frame of reference. One of the reasons Endless Summer was such a hit, IMO, is because America was ready for a break from all that anger, and the American Graffiti/Happy Days era gave them a way back to less strident times. I'm guessing battle fatigue never quite hit England, so they could better appreciate what the Boys were offering up.

In saying this, I see a lot of blame laid at the feet of Endless Summer. People say if it hadn't been for that album's success, the Beach Boys wouldn't have drifted into being a nostalgia act, etc. I think, without Endless Summer, they might have just faded away altogether. I was one of those who bought that album. I grew up listening to the Boys on the radio in the early sixties and loved their sound and the fun lyrics. But, since I was young, I didn't have any of their records. Endless Summer gave me all of those great singles in one big package. I still have that vinyl. The poster used to be on my in my room wall, but seems to have disappeared. It's too bad the Boys couldn't find a way to capitalize on that renewed fame and spin it into a new direction.

I think that you are correct in that Endless Summer is not entirely to blame, but it did blast them back into Super Stardom. While The Boys' were building a following between the years 1971-1974, that combination of Endless Summer, American Graffiti and the Nostalgia craze just all hit at the right time. It was too strong a tide to pull away from; they gave the fans what they wanted to hear.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 07:28:01 AM »

I think Brian had the right idea for classic sounding BBs songs (good timin, Its ok) in 1974 before he really went off the deep end.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 08:20:39 AM »

Pretty Funky--No problem. I have no bad vibrations. It's understandable that if you've been here a while, maybe some of these topics become repetitive.

This is a very interesting point. Endless Summer is kind of polarizing because it sort of "type casted" the Beach Boys into a nostalgia role. People often blame it for that. But it also solidified the band's legacy, and maybe they would have completely faded off without it. It's hard to say, but it certainly merits more (speculative) discussion.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 08:33:59 AM »

Pretty Funky--No problem. I have no bad vibrations. It's understandable that if you've been here a while, maybe some of these topics become repetitive.

This is a very interesting point. Endless Summer is kind of polarizing because it sort of "type casted" the Beach Boys into a nostalgia role. People often blame it for that. But it also solidified the band's legacy, and maybe they would have completely faded off without it. It's hard to say, but it certainly merits more (speculative) discussion.
No amount of vinyl or plastic can do such a thing. What happened was due to the demand of the fans. Those fans were more interested in hearing them perform the oldies, rather than hear anything new.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 11:27:07 AM »

Well, just from the perspective of someone who lived through it all, I don't think it's a matter of better taste. I think American music became somewhat cynical in the aftermath of the "Summer of Love's" failure to revolutionize the world. Youth culture tended to drift toward more angry, heavy rock. Angry and edgy was in, peace and love were out.

True, and from the point of the original q (UK success vs US relative failure), something even simpler: your late-60s generation was being sent off to the Far East as cannon fodder, whereas we Brits, as Robyn Hitchcock so eloquently said, were sitting in country gardens drinking tea, eating cucumber sandwiches and listening to Syd Barrett and Traffic.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx