gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:40:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reviews of The Beach Boys in Concert! book  (Read 25333 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2013, 06:55:24 AM »

Hey we are glad everyone seems to like it.  It's cool to get feedback as you write these things in isolation.  Jon and I appreciate the kind words.  Mikie-Thanks for your help with the book (cool info/memories over the years).  That late 73 period must have been a great time to see the BBs
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2013, 05:38:18 PM »

A lot of books claim to be the "Ultimate" this or that (probably at the behest of the publishers).

This is one of the few books I've seen that achieves that claim made on its cover.

Big kudos to Ian and John for turning what must have been an immmense amount of research into a fascinating and well written book.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2013, 05:59:06 PM »

If money was no object-I would have had way more photos (one of every gig I could find)-but I am happy with it all things considered
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2013, 02:20:26 AM »

That seems like a good idea in itself. A Beach Boys concert picture book. It would probably be a legal nightmare with trying to get permission to use every photo, but it would be one hell of an awesome book!  Grin Especially if it was a multi volume set. Cool

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2013, 02:17:35 PM »

Not a review but I just wanted to mention something that randomly popped up during a local Philly television entertainment and food show this weekend, focusing on Atlantic City. They were spotlighting the opening of one of those Jimmy Buffet chain restaurants in A.C. and mentioned that Buffet showed up and gave a concert on the beach for the grand opening festivities which drew the usual "parrothead" crowds, something like 15,000 (not sure on that number). Then they popped up a trivia tidbit about what was the largest beach concert ever staged in Atlantic City.

It was the Beach Boys, July 4, 1983. I think the figure they gave was that an estimated 250,000 fans were there for that gig, which makes it hands-down the record holder. Even if the figure is off, it was still a staggering amount to people to come to a concert or anywhere in Atlantic City for a music event. I doubt anyone could have or ever will top that.

I thought that was a pretty cool thing to see in such a random place, and to put into perspective what those in 2013 considered a large turnout for Jimmy Buffet on the beach versus what kind of crowds the Beach Boys could draw on the same beaches back in '83.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2013, 03:13:15 PM »

That seems like a good idea in itself. A Beach Boys concert picture book. It would probably be a legal nightmare with trying to get permission to use every photo, but it would be one hell of an awesome book!  Grin Especially if it was a multi volume set. Cool

Maybe Rocker can put this book together using all the pics he's ever seen,  to sell to those that want it.   Legalities be damned! 
Incognito, of course....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2013, 03:08:16 PM »

I've been spending many hours enjoying Ian and Jon's book, and I'm pleased that I was able to make some contributions to the info contained therein.

For the record, though, I would like to point out that a quote is incorrectly attributed to me in the write up for the April 20, 1973 concert at the Hollywood Palladium, where it is stated, "Fan Rob Shepherd recalled, 'Audree Wilson arrived early, sat in the balcony, and chatted with several fans, including me. ... Murry was surprisingly jovial and seemed to enjoy the concert.'"

Don't know who submitted that info, but it wasn't me.  Prior to and during the concert I was on the floor close to the stage, (standing room only festival seating), rather than in the balcony, and I'm visible (if you know exactly where to look!) on the cover of the BBs in Concert album. After the concert I did have the opportunity to talk to a friendly and affable Brian Wilson, along with his wife Marilyn, followed by spending some time, along with a few other fans, with Bruce Johnston on stage as he sang a few songs and played the keyboard as roadies were packing up the equipment around us, leaving me with the distinct impressing that he really missed being a member of the band.  More details, as well as photos I took that night, can be found on Malcolm Searles site "The Beach Boys Back Through the Opera Glass".

Obviously, with all the material compiled, an incorrect attribution is an easy mistake to make, but since it involves my name I wanted to officially point it out.

For anyone interested in the history of the Beach Boys, Ian and Jon's book is a must have!  The book is absolutely gorgeous, printed on high quality slick paper with a hard cover, and including tons of info and photos, all in chronological order.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2013, 05:37:25 AM »

Sorry Rob-Not sure how that happened-if someone on this board told me that quote please let me know-if there is ever a revised edition I'll try to fix it.  Thanks for the praise though.  As you can see from the info on that show-Chip Rachlin was also there and told me that was his first meeting with Brian (even though he'd been acting as the BBs booking agent for two years by that time) and the only time he met Murry.  Wish there was a photo of them!! Unfortunately the only photo I've ever seen of Brian there-is the one you took where you can't see his face.  Murry attended a few shows that year-Nick Kent also mentions seeing him at a March 1973 California show in an NME review.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2013, 04:00:59 AM »

I got the book last week and I love it. Definately one of those Beach Boys books that just should excist, so it's a good thing that now it finally does.

The only complaint I have is about the years from 1985 on. I think it's almost like the book was written chronologically and after 1985 the writers just kind of lost interest. I think it would have been much better if those years (at least up until 1998) would have been worked out with as much care as the years before it, or if the book just would've been "The Beach Boys in Concert 1961-1985". Now it seems a bit incomplete for what it tries to be.

But apart from that it's an excellent book.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 05:29:54 AM by shelter » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2013, 04:23:15 AM »

There were a number of factors that led us to devote less time to 1986 to 2011. The biggest factor was length.  The publishers didn't want a book that was much longer and we didn't want to cut anything out from the earlier years. Glad you liked it though.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2013, 01:38:00 AM »

Ian & Jon,

I'll just add to the choruses of what an amazing book this is. After receiving it a few weeks ago, and just "spot-checking" it up to this point, I finally had the time today to read it cover-to-cover. In terms of information, it's absolutely essential for anyone who calls themselves a Beach Boys fan. What a beautiful layout to boot! Reading the original Cleveland Plain Dealer and Cleveland Press reviews for the shows I attended in '79 and '80, at The Palace Theater and Blossom respectively, really brought back the rush of what it was like to "attack" the newspaper, the morning or two after a show happened, and find out what the local critics had to say about what I had just experienced. That was always almost as fun as the concert itself to me! Somewhere, I still even have the handbill for the Palace show, as well as the tourbook for the Blossom concert. Let me just say that you guys really did a great job of recapturing the thrill of that place in time!

And while specifically not mentioned in detail, the timeline layout also jogged my memories of both Dennis and Carl's solo appearances here in Cleveland during that era. In Denny's case, an in-store signing to promote POB at Peaches Records & Tapes, and for Carl, not only his concert at the Cleveland Agora, but a completely live TV performance of "Hold Me" on The Afternoon Exchange as well (IIRC, recorded during his sound check).

Also, something I've been meaning to ask since receiving the book, and unless I'm missing something: I can't seem to find the recording venue/date citation for the last track on the '73 Concert album, "Fun, Fun, Fun."  All the others on the album seem to be present and accounted for, except this one. If I'm missing it, my apologies and please feel free to steer me in the right direction. But if not, would it be possible to still retrieve that information from someone (e.g. Alan)? The historian in me (or obsessive...lol) is itching to mentally fill-in that last block of important info. Any help would be greatly appreciated...assuming the recording details on that live track still exist.

thanks again!
Dave
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 01:44:08 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx