gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:50:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reviews of The Beach Boys in Concert! book  (Read 25335 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 07:08:54 PM »

Speaking of which, all somebody needs to do now is put out a studio version of this book and we can throw away our Badmans, eh?

I'll burn my copy.

Thanks all for the exciting reviews - hurry up, postman!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 07:31:51 PM »

I haven't got much of a chance to go through it, but I've already seen some great photos.  I was surprised, for some reason, that it is a hardcover book.  I was expecting something like the Badman thing.  Speaking of which, all somebody needs to do now is put out a studio version of this book and we can throw away our Badmans, eh?

Greatly amused by the section in many years where they list "Shows that did not happen" and most of those cases it is to contradict the Badman book.  In one case they quote a show listed in Badman at a certain high school and indicate that the high school never existed.  And yes, all copies seem to be hardcover.  No dust jacket.  Pretty good binding.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 07:57:49 PM »

Well that seemed worthwhile in the early years especially.  For example there is a poster that makes the rounds of the bbs playing in hartford on june 25 1965 but they didn't play anywhere on that date.  The poster people just picked an arbitrary date to make replica posters
MBE
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 08:17:05 PM »

This is amazing. Great job by everyone all around. I am very picky with books being a writer myself, but honestly this belongs in the top rank.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 08:28:02 PM »

Thank you Adrian Baker!!

Grin

That's funny!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 08:48:05 PM »

Well that seemed worthwhile in the early years especially.  For example there is a poster that makes the rounds of the bbs playing in hartford on june 25 1965 but they didn't play anywhere on that date.  The poster people just picked an arbitrary date to make replica posters

I always thought that poster was legit. It's been on eBay for years. Glad I never picked one up!

This guy's trying to sell his Hartford/Dillon poster for how much?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1965-BEACH-BOYS-BRIAN-WILSON-CONCERT-POSTER-60s-USA-Tour-Dillion-Stadium-/400410894740?hash=item5d3a596194

This one has also been on Ebay for years. BB at the Whiskey in April, 1971. With a 1979 vintage picture in the middle. Asking price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Beach-Boys-Poster-Framed-Celebrities-Musicians-/350287916349?pt=Art_Posters&hash=item518ec96d3d

Another reason that Ian's and Jon's is worth having.

Ian, I know that you know this Beach Boys concert was the real deal.  Wouldn't mind having the poster myself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBjRi7MqgLY
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:45:48 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 12:15:46 AM »

I have that exact same Dillon Stadium poster.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 05:00:02 AM »

Yeah that 1971 whiskey one is also funny because when I researched the date it turned out the poster lists the wrong days for those shows
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 06:41:49 AM »

I thought there were only 50 hard covered books made.

aeijtzsche, do you have a limited edition copy or an off-the-shelf version?
MIkie, mine arrived yesterday from Amazon and it is a hardcover. I too was expecting a softcover book. Not bad for less than $23.00.

I only leafed through it quickly last night, but I have to say that the pics are terrific. The only bad thing was, was that I dis-remembered a 1974 concert that I attended. Seems it took place in early 1975. So, the show that I thought I saw Dennis and Ricky drumming together was most likely Dennis and Bobby F.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2013, 06:54:58 AM »

Yup, memory can be a bitch, especially when introduced to documented fact.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2013, 06:59:23 AM »

Yup, memory can be a bitch, especially when introduced to documented fact.  Grin
Indeed, it can. Also, the Tempe Stadium Show in Tempe, Arizona was an outdoor show and I'm sure you know how mind altering those shows could be. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2013, 07:39:11 AM »

Yeah i went on a lot of wild goose chases searching for shows in the wrong year based on memories
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2013, 10:29:22 AM »

IIRC, the Whiskey poster was part of a series of posters (of artists who had played there over the years) put together to celebrate a significant anniversary of the Whiskey's existence. The series was issued in the late '90s-early '00s. I remember seeing it advertised in Goldmine.

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »

I have the Whiskey poster framed and in my office. Always got a kick out of the date and the obviously wrong chronological picture from the late 70's. Don't remember where I got it, but it was cheap as I recall; have had it up for a few years.
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2013, 12:00:46 PM »

Scheduled to interview Jon for a podcast that will be listed along with the mini-review I posted yesterday @ http://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/new-book-beach-boys-in-concert.html

If you are online right now, LMK a good question ...

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2013, 02:13:20 PM »

my copy arrived at work today. what a nice book. been hard to fill prescriptions because i have been scanning thru the book. thank you jon and ian for putting this together. very nice indeed. also thanks for the acknowledgment Smiley
best of luck with the success of this wonderful book.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2013, 02:32:19 PM »

Well thanks for your help Steve.  I found a bunch of shows due to you
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2013, 03:29:48 PM »

Ian - just completed a podcast with your co-author Jon Stebbins. He gives you high praise for the work done on this wonderful new book.  Would love to find a time to get your thoughts for a futre podcast. LMK if interested,

Phil@prayforsurf.net

beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2013, 04:09:42 PM »

Just made my order from Argentina, I'm very excited about it (one month and a half shipping though...  Undecided)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2013, 04:11:35 PM »

Sorry it takes so long, but I hope you like it
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2013, 09:08:45 PM »

I haven't bought the book yet, but I intend to soon. I have a question about a certain show that may or may not be mentioned in the book. I hope it's ok to ask, as I don't want to ruin any surprises or anything.  Grin Anyway, I have a beach boys show that's listed as being from Paris, from 1980. During the song "You Are So Beautiful", for some reason Dennis misses most of the words. It's almost as if he walked away from the microphone, and only returned for the very end of the song. I was just wondering if there might be any kind of explanation for what happened.

SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2013, 01:03:29 AM »

I haven't bought the book yet, but I intend to soon. I have a question about a certain show that may or may not be mentioned in the book. I hope it's ok to ask, as I don't want to ruin any surprises or anything.  Grin Anyway, I have a beach boys show that's listed as being from Paris, from 1980. During the song "You Are So Beautiful", for some reason Dennis misses most of the words. It's almost as if he walked away from the microphone, and only returned for the very end of the song. I was just wondering if there might be any kind of explanation for what happened.

Only the date (6-8-80) & the venue are listed.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 01:05:18 AM by SonoraDick » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2013, 04:03:13 AM »

That was a pretty erratic period for dennis.  When he was sober he was great but when he was drinking all bets were off
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2013, 07:56:47 AM »

Though most reviews of that tour don't mention any particularly bad behavior
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2013, 09:48:57 PM »

Thanks for the info.  Smiley It's rather hard to figure out what happened just going by the audio recording. The audience seems to have a good laugh about something during the song.

On a slightly related note(in a roundabout way), oh, to have been a fly on the wall "backstage" after the 1981 Long Beach show, where Dennis shouted out "I love shawn! I love you shawnie(sp?)".  LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx