gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:29:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Landlocked  (Read 9844 times)
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 09:58:54 PM »

Andrew Doe told me (on multiple occasions, often-times completely unprompted and even the occasional 3am phone call just as a "friendly" reminder) that there was no Landlocked album. I don't understand how you guys can go on about something that's not real. There was no Landlocked album. Please see to it that this thread is destroyed, moderators.
*Riiiiing* *Riiiiiiing* (Checks caller ID and picks up the phone) "What the hell do you want Andrew, it's 3 AM over here." "There was never a 'Landlocked' album." (Andrew hangs up)

A discipline daddy.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 12:16:23 AM »

Andrew Doe told me (on multiple occasions, often-times completely unprompted and even the occasional 3am phone call just as a "friendly" reminder) that there was no Landlocked album. I don't understand how you guys can go on about something that's not real. There was no Landlocked album. Please see to it that this thread is destroyed, moderators.

I commonly refer to Landlocked as "the collection of songs commonly referred to as 'Landlocked'" in order not to make the impression I didn't no there never really was a Landlocked album.

I LOVE the collection of songs commonly referred to as "Landlocked"!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 05:24:34 AM »

The collection formerly known as "Landlocked". We could just call it , really.

Man, I love the songs on .

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2013, 05:25:36 AM »

That was in 1985, right?

Yes. Ever since I was a baby up until this day. Cry

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2013, 05:47:08 AM »

Since Andrew's not around to correct what I am sure is probably an inaccurate account, let me put in my 2 cents about Landlocked - my understanding is that Landlocked was one title considered for the post Sunflower album that ultimately became Surf's Up.  A tape (2 tapes actually) of potential songs for the "Landlocked"/"Next Album"project was compiled with songs new and old (unused songs from the "Last Capitol Album" and the first iteration of Sunflower, Add Some Music)  was compiled by Stephen Desper.  Now this is the controversial point - Stephen has said that this tape/tapes WAS played for Reprise execs to preview the material for the next album, although others are skeptical.  I see no reason why he would say this unless it were true. There is that mockup Landlocked cover with titles completely unrelated to the Beach Boys (they were taken from a country western album) - which would indicate that Landlocked was indeed considered as a title enough for the art department to work something like that up.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 06:16:26 AM »

It's been said that the Landlocked title was not an invention of anyone in the band, but of someone else who would have no say in the matter (I forget who, specifically). There was never going to be an album called Landlocked, seemingly.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 06:23:12 AM »

How do you pronounce "∅"? Cheesy

Stephen has said that this tape/tapes WAS played for Reprise execs to preview the material for the next album, although others are skeptical.  I see no reason why he would say this unless it were true. There is that mockup Landlocked cover with titles completely unrelated to the Beach Boys (they were taken from a country western album) - which would indicate that Landlocked was indeed considered as a title enough for the art department to work something like that up.

Hey, I didn't know that! This story about the previewing is not in conflict with the notion that the Landlocked tape(s) wasn't considered to be a finished album though, I think.

In what way do the two tapes differ? I didn't know there were two tapes.

And where can one see the mock-up cover you mention?

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 06:53:40 AM »

The songs under consideration were spread over two tapes - somewhere I have which songs were on which tape.

Can't remember if the Landlocked mockup was in Leaf's book or Preiss's. 

Someone at Capitol might have come up with the Landlocked idea without band input - if that's the case it was perhaps briefly a "working" title within Capitol only.  So you can view Landlocked as a working title for " the next Beach Boys album" with a set of tapes with songs under consideration for that album.  When they decided what was going on the next album (and at Van Dyke's suggestion resurrected Surf's Up) the appropriate title became obvious.
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 07:45:24 AM »

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 10:08:19 AM »

COOL!!!!

Now that seems to be one tape, what would be on the second?

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2013, 10:21:39 AM »

Interesting that Landlocked is actually on the tape box - Andrew's website suggests the tape box was titled "2nd Warner Brothers LP" or "2nd Brother album.". It is in parentheses, no doubt to it be only a provisional title.

The Landlocked mockup is in Leaf's book.  Some think it may be a fan hoax. 
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2013, 10:29:07 AM »

COOL!!!!

Now that seems to be one tape, what would be on the second?

The second tape only had three or four songs on it that wouldn't fit on the first tape.  I think Walkin' and Back Home were on it. 
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2013, 01:04:06 PM »

Interesting titbits:

1. The memo letterhead is Capitiol Recording Studios.
2. The client is Warners, so evidently they already signed the contract with Mo.
3. Most, if not all, of those songs were recorded up at Brian's house (or Heider's) were they not?
4. With exception to Carnival & Big Sur (4/4), all of the songs on that list have seen the light of day.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2013, 01:21:02 PM »

In regard to the photo above ...

That's the track sheet that was included with a 15ips tape that was purchased some years ago by the late Derek Bill. He acquired it from (I think) Rockaway Records out in L.A. I have no idea what happened to the tape or where it is now. (And, no, I was never able to get a dub, so don't bother to PM me about it. LOL )
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:23:20 PM by Beach Head » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2013, 09:56:50 AM »

Hmmm... why does it say "Unreleased" on that sheet? If that was used for playing the tape for execs, that would be clear anyway. Makes me think right now that this may be a bootleggers' mockup, because that's an interesting information for the buyers.

Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2013, 09:32:55 PM »

Hmmm... why does it say "Unreleased" on that sheet? If that was used for playing the tape for execs, that would be clear anyway. Makes me think right now that this may be a bootleggers' mockup, because that's an interesting information for the buyers.

Don't know if it was a "bootleg" or not, but I can vouch for the fact that the 15 ips tape to which it was attached did indeed exist. Derek showed it to me probably 15-20 years ago. Also, I've heard from a third party with a bit more information, and it seems Derek actually returned it to Brian Wilson in the late 1990s. I don't know if that solidifies its validity or not. For what it's worth, at the time I saw it, Derek had not played the tape, as he didn't have a 15 ips half-track reel-to-reel machine. So, for all I know, the tape could have been blank. (I never did hear whether he was able to play it and check it out.)
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2013, 07:29:22 AM »

On a slightly different note, may I ask what they were thinking when they recorded "Carnival"? And why did they try to put it on an album? I mean, the effects used on it are kinda fun and all, but man, what a strange piece of music. I listened to it with headphones a while back and nearly got sick. It's like "My Solution", but worse.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Nicko1234
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2013, 07:34:51 AM »

Is Mike credited as a co-writer on I`ve Just Got My Pay on the box set?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 06:17:56 AM »

On a slightly different note, may I ask what they were thinking when they recorded "Carnival"? And why did they try to put it on an album? I mean, the effects used on it are kinda fun and all, but man, what a strange piece of music. I listened to it with headphones a while back and nearly got sick. It's like "My Solution", but worse.

I think the person to answer that is Stephen Desper. I suspect the sound effect was there first, it makes you feel like you're sitting in a carousel. That's why they recorded the well known "Carnival" music onto it. It's "Amusement Parks U.S.A." kind of musique concrete like. It's an experimental piece, so it's bound to be strange.

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 07:11:23 AM »

Can't do that because then Andrew will yell at us because there was never an album planned called ∅ and how dare we find some innocent way to refer to a set of songs.

There actually is an interview in the Badman book where Carl says their next album is tentatively titled "Landlocked."
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:13:29 AM by TV Forces » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2013, 09:33:07 AM »

Can't do that because then Andrew will yell at us because there was never an album planned called ∅ and how dare we find some innocent way to refer to a set of songs.

There actually is an interview in the Badman book where Carl says their next album is tentatively titled "Landlocked."
Go ahead, it's OK, Andrew's not here at the moment. LANDLOCKED, there, I said it. Wink

btw, I always thought that "Landlocked" is a great title for a Beach Boys album. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:34:29 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2013, 10:37:59 AM »

Maybe that desert photo in the Surf's Up album inset had something to do with it.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2013, 12:23:05 PM »

I always assumed Carnival to be a fun ditty, maybe an used as an intro.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx