gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:37:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Serious Jibber-Jabber with Conan O'Brien: Music Historian Peter Guralnick  (Read 2149 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2013, 10:52:19 AM »

2 of my heroes babbling along. Cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZY7L0p2Gj0
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 12:54:57 PM »

I watched this a few weeks ago.  It is outstanding and made me want to cue up Elvis records.

To the uninitiated, Guralnick's books are all revelatory.  There is (IMO) no better writer of music biographies.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 12:59:49 PM »

[...] There is (IMO) no better writer of music biographies.
Amen.

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 01:30:30 PM »

Guralnick is one of the great rock critics. If you liked his Elvis bios, check out his life of Sam Cooke.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 02:26:58 PM »

It is outstanding and made me want to cue up Elvis records.

A fantastic ride you will take

I finally had the time to watch the first six minutes of this talk. Very good! Guralnick mentioned Elvis' interviews. I'm sure he would've been blown away by this site back then. It more or less features all available interviews with Presley that we have audio from.
http://www.elvis.net/interview/inter.html

You really learn a lot about the guy this way. Much more than you can get from those other stuff.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 03:54:57 PM »

I need to finish watching this, but feel like I should finish Last Train To Memphis again first. I read it in my first year of uni, but they didn't have Careless Love (what bastards) and in typical fashion it took  me 2 1/2 years to find a copy of the latter.

Been loving so much Elvis lately too. I may have been naughty and torrented the RCA Masters, so it's great to just dip into him properly (especially given the fractured nature of his albums since, well, 1960 from what Guralnick describes). My favourite stuff is definitely the 1969 Chips Moman sessions. Long Black Limousine sounds like Elvis is singing from beside the grave.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 04:30:09 AM »

Long Black Limousine sounds like Elvis is singing from beside the grave.

That one is fantastic. He uses O.C. Wright's arrangement but the singing, man the SINGING! It takes the song/arrangement to an even higher place

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 03:22:03 PM »

Finished it. Very, very good stuff! Thanks Lowbacca!

I was reminded of this interesting interview with Martin Sheen in which he talks about Elvis. It's not that often that you get some worthwhile talk about him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqqoK3AT8As

EDIT:

Been loving so much Elvis lately too. I may have been naughty and torrented the RCA Masters, so it's great to just dip into him properly

BTW, be sure to check out the Legacy Editions of some of his albums and sessions (the newest being the Stax Sessions which will be released in August, see thread). You get two albums plus bonus tracks in a very nice package for little money. Those are realy worthwhile re-releases

« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 03:01:44 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx