gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:57:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Milton Edward Love 1918-2013  (Read 19021 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: June 27, 2013, 12:48:05 PM »

Just heard mike's father died on the 20th. My sympathies to all his family.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:49:35 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 12:49:55 PM »

sorry to hear that. my best to the family.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:02:01 PM »

May 4, 1918 - June 20, 2013

Milton Edward Love was born to Edward Fieldon Love and Edith Rose Clardy Love
On May 4, 1918 in Los Angeles, California. He and his younger brother Stanley and sister Marjorie attended public schools in Los Angeles. Milton graduated from Washington High School and was celebrated as All City End in football and went on to attend UCLA.

September 10th, 1938 he married Emily Glee Wilson and together they raised six children who became accomplished in the areas of the arts, music, athletics and business.

Milton enjoyed a long career at Love Sheet Metal founded by his father in 1909. Milton served his country outfitting naval ships with galleys during the height of critical wartime industry. Milton was a proud member of Sheet Workers International Association Local Union 105 for 50 years. He was a talented master draftsman who worked very hard to support his wife and growing family. Acknowledged by Emily in her unpublished book, which was dedicated to her husband, Milt, it reads as follows:

“This book is dedicated to Milt, the father of my six wonderful children. Without his support we couldn’t have had the environment that led, I think, to our children’s success. Thank you for all the years you left your warm bed at five in the morning.
Love, Glee.”

After Emily’s death in 1979, Milt married Beulah Martin Searles, affectionately known as “Pat”. They enjoyed 25 years together in “Chapter Two” as it was lovingly called.

Milton expressed himself artistically with a passion for photography, developing his images in his darkroom at the Love’s home at the corner of Mt. Vernon and Fairway.
Additionally he worked with stained glass, oil and watercolor. Family musical gatherings also provided a creative environment, which had far reaching influences.

Milton enjoyed 95 years of a beautiful life that availed him of world travel and the love and pride of his ever-growing family. He was preceded in death by his daughter Stephanie, brother Stan and sister Marjorie Hillman.

Milton is survived by his children and their spouses: Michael & Jacquelyne, Maureen, Stephen, Stanley& Karen, and Marjorie & Joe, along with his Grandchildren: Melinda, Teresa, Hayleigh, Christian, Summer, Mike Jr., Brian, Ambha, Grant, Shane, Collin, Kevin, Emily, Michele, Michael and Isabella. And Great Grandchildren: Cameron, Derek, Liam, Gianna and Genelle.

Milton was best known for his “dry” wit, brutal honesty, his charm, his love of chocolate and ice cream, love of Christmas and his deep devotion to family. Milton embraced a very strong hard work ethic, which he passed along to his children. Milton enjoyed a long life of independence. Even well into his 90’s, his routine included daily visits to Safeway where he shopped for groceries and enjoyed a Starbucks hot chocolate in the morning and a chocolate/banana smoothie in the afternoon. He was nicknamed “double trouble” by the Safeway staff.

Milton continued to travel well into his 90’s, attending grandchildren’s graduations and family holiday gatherings in Tahoe annually and as recently as Christmas 2012. He enjoyed visiting and traveling with Mike on tour and particularly enjoyed a standing ovation by the audience when introduced on stage he raised his cane and arms high and sang proudly alongside his son. “Dad stole the show!” Milton was a strong proud man even at the end. He had a peaceful passing surrounded by his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Milton spent time in Hawaii and many years in Oregon. In his final year of his life, Milton returned to Southern California. Milton will be interred Thursday June 27, 2013 at 11:48am beside his loving wife Emily Glee At Pacific View Memorial Park in Corona Del Mar, California during a private family gathering.

The family would like to extend a special thank you to the staff at Miramonte Pointe, his home for 8 years in Clackamas, Oregon, for their dedicated care, support and affection for Milt. Milton relocated to La Vida Del Mar in Solana Beach, California where he instantly became a favorite resident of staff members. We are deeply grateful to the nurses, caregivers, dining staff, and administration for their compassionate love and devotion to Milt’s care during the last months of his life.

In lieu of flowers please make donations to Milton’s favorite charity, The American Red Cross at www.redcross.org, in loving memory/honor of Milton Love. All donation receipts can be emailed to swmeleco@sbcglobal.net.

With Gratitude,

The Love Family

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:03:50 PM »

This last 10 days has been an interesting journey for me and my family as we said goodbye to my Dad. First, I want to thank everyone for having been so kind and loving towards my Father. Your get well wishes and Happy Birthday sentiments really touched him. I shared with him many of your comments and he smiled so happily. After 95 years on Earth, he is now in Heaven and reunited with his beloved Glee, my Mom. My Dad Milt was surrounded by us as he took his last mortal breath and we are grateful to have been apart of his transition. My Dad was always and will continue to be my inspiration! He is gone but the lessons he shared will live on forever. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Mike Love

[from Facebook]

Nicko1234
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 01:05:33 PM »

RIP.

A nicely written message from Mike.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 01:07:53 PM »

RIP Milton Love

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »

Hopefully his long life will speak for the continuing health of Mike and his family. 95 Big Ones, a nice long life. My thoughts to the Love family.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 02:15:37 PM »

Sorry to hear about this. Glad to know he had a full fruitful life, though. My condolences to the family.

Milton enjoyed 95 years of a beautiful life that availed him of world travel and the love and pride of his ever-growing family. He was preceded in death by his daughter Stephanie, brother Stan and sister Marjorie Hillman.

I did not know Mike had a sister that passed away.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 02:53:14 PM »

Sorry to hear about this. Glad to know he had a full fruitful life, though. My condolences to the family.

Among the countless comments at that notorious manvsclown blogpost about Mike is one from Stephanie's husband. She died of cancer in 2005.  The husband expresses a very high opinion of Mike as brother-in-law and family member.

It's news to me that Mike's brother Stan was named for an uncle.

Milton's service in helping to make warships serves to remind us that one didn't have to wear a uniform to be a member in good standing of the Greatest Generation....and his country, now and ever is grateful for his contribution.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 03:23:40 PM »

Brians birthday. What are the odds? (1/365 I guess)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 04:16:13 PM »

Brians birthday. What are the odds? (1/365 I guess)

Yeah, but that's still very freaky. Shocked
MBE
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 04:25:31 PM »

Maybe this thread will prove Mike is a human being-good and bad-just like the rest of us. Danger I see here lately is that the guys are still being treated like some fictional characters that we can push to our wills. These are real families and people here and all of us should remember that very basic fact.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 04:48:24 PM »

Very sad news. 95 years is a long run, but it always hurts to lose a loved one. Condolences to the Love family.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 05:20:30 PM »

Maybe this thread will prove Mike is a human being-good and bad-just like the rest of us. Danger I see here lately is that the guys are still being treated like some fictional characters that we can push to our wills. These are real families and people here and all of us should remember that very basic fact.

I think most reasonable people on this forum understand that as a matter of fact period.  The unreasonable ones, well there is little luck reaching those types anyhow.

RIP Milton as someone else said "95 Big Ones".  If we could all only be that fortunate.  My condolences to Mike and the rest of his family at this time.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 05:23:17 PM »

Mike loved his dad, this is terrible to hear.

RIP, Milton Love.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 08:29:31 PM »

Thanks for posting, Andrew. Sad news, but it sounds as though Mr. Love had something close to an optimum departure.

Mike Eder's point is extremely well-taken, and let's take a moment to remember just how important "family" has always been to the Beach Boys, through times good and not-so-good. Their story, as lived on a daily basis, is similar to all of ours--just writ a whole lot larger.

RIP Milton Love.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »

Many thanks for these wise words, Mike. Could not agree more. Mike Love is a human being, and we should never paint him as some 'evil alien' who robbed us of a lot of good music, live shows, whatever.

R.I.P. Milton Love.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
MBE
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 01:49:08 AM »

Glad my words were well taken here. Don touched on why I write about The Beach Boys, I do relate on a real level as a member of a suburban American family. Even those who didn't have the same literal surroundings growing up understand the family dynamic one way or another.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 04:29:26 AM »

RIP Milton Love. Sympathies to Mike and the family. 95 is a grand age by almost any standards.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 09:22:42 AM »

An envious life indeed.

Growing up in Los Angeles in the Twenties!

You might have seen a film crew on location making an "Our Gang" or "Mickey McGuire" comedy two-reeler.

A very different America.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 09:29:40 AM »

RIP, Milton Love .

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 11:48:52 AM »

That would be his aunt - it's Milton's sister, not Mike's.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 01:28:47 PM »

But Stephanie was Milt's Daughter.

Quite a life, and quite a patriarch. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 03:25:49 PM »

Thats a first for me! Who's who in that pic? When was this taken? Can we get more?Huh  Grin

1950s, I guess. Mike's obvious, the rest I'm guessing are his siblings. The girl playing the harp is Maureen and the other girl is Stephanie. The boy standing up is Steve and the other boy is Stan. I could be wrong though. As for finding this picture, I just happened to stumble along this one on Google!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 06:47:58 AM »

Thats a first for me! Who's who in that pic? When was this taken? Can we get more?Huh  Grin
1950s, I guess. Mike's obvious, the rest I'm guessing are his siblings. The girl playing the harp is Maureen and the other girl is Stephanie. The boy standing up is Steve and the other boy is Stan. I could be wrong though. As for finding this picture, I just happened to stumble along this one on Google!
Great photo! That young lad at the organ reminds me of Brian!

And, yes, Milton appears to have been a very lucky man ahead of his time.  RIP
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx