gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680816 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:04:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did McCartney ever tell Brian to kick Mike Love out of the Beach Boys?  (Read 14890 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2013, 08:43:44 AM »

The Beatles got into TM in the summer of 67 and developed a relationship with Maharishi-who frequently lectured in Great Britain.  John and George went with Maharishi to the big concert for Unicef in Paris in Dec 67.  The BBs were playing at this show and the two Beatles introduced them to Maharishi.  Ironically-Mike (who'd become a lifelong TM fanatic) had immediately split for London and missed the meeting.  But he came back the next day and got his mantra.  Within a few day they were enthusiastic converts (get a transcript of their UK press conference-it is all they talk about!) Indeed they were so into it that when Maharishi lectured in the states in January 68-they flew east to hear him speak and even convinced the increasingly reclusive Brian to fly east with them and get his mantra.  Probably at this meeting-Maharishi told Mike that about the big meditation retreat with the Beatles and invited him to come.  So it all came together.  Obviously from Maharishi's point of view-it was a win-win for TM if he could have the biggest British group and biggest American group as his disciples.  Indeed he even got Mick Jagger to come to his August 67 retreat.  I think that western religion was on the decline in the 60s and young people were searching for meaning.  Especially rich pop stars who wondered why they weren't happy with riches and fame.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2013, 08:50:46 AM »

I think oldsurferdude told BW that when he met the whole group in the early 1970s. Grin
As a matter of fact, I did Grin, but I've heard worse ideas. Ahhhhh, just thinking about it makes my day. Razz

I haven't heard that story. Would you mind telling it again or pointing me to where i may find it?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2013, 10:30:02 AM »

Part of the reason Lennon was so down on TM was due to the fact that the Maharishi made a few sexual advances towards a female student, sort of taking advantage of her. Lennon got pretty mad about this, as one should, and wrote a song called "Maharishi" which you now know as "Sexy Sadie." George persuaded him to change the lyrics.

Something that's kind of funny is that the story is said (by John's-then-wive, Cynthia, Paul, and George) to have been made up.
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »

Ian - thank you very much for the information leading up to the retreat. Greatly appreciated!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2013, 10:52:34 AM »

Me, never heard a word about it in some 38-odd years of researching this wretched band. Not to say it never happened but...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2013, 08:31:33 PM »

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2013, 09:05:10 PM »

What I've wondrered about is how did 2 of the biggest rock and roll groups of that time wind up (well, most of the members) at this TM place in India at the same time? Plus, a lot of other well known individuals. I haven't done any background reading as to the allure of the TM movement at that time, but it strikes me as plain interesting. I'd guess, in part, that these were a bunch of younger people who struck it pretty rich and famous all of a sudden and maybe felt "empty" and that there "had to be more to life"; or, was it the hectic pace they lived and this might be a practice to "slow it down"? Whatever, it just is somewhat incedible to me that most of the members of these 2 groups attended this and at the same time.

Here's an extra bit of trivia...members of The Doors learned TM from the Maharishi in 1966...before they were famous. John Densmore tells a story in his book "Riders On The Storm" about seeing a news report on the Beatles and the Maharishi and just being stunned.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2013, 10:21:53 PM »

This will be printed, framed and on my wall before midnight tonight.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2013, 07:03:34 PM »

I never got any negative vibes from any of the Beatles towards any of the beach boys but, whenever I see or read things of them being in the same place, the beatle (usually Paul) seems very uninterested and in photos often looks like he's just posing with another fan...whereas the beach boys usually tell these extravagant stories of meeting a beatle like ML's TM stories...or Bruce taking Pet Sounds to Lennon & McCartney...or Brian literally counting all his meetings with Paul.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2013, 07:08:41 AM »

Paul and Ringo have actually advocated for TM, they headlined David Lynch's charity concert in 2009 (which Mike Love attended) and George Harrison practiced it as well. Only John Lennon (not surprisingly) said it was bullshit
Rocky, what you said is not accurate, because without any alterations, I well remember reading it was Ringo who got bored with TM course & flew back to London 1st. Then Paul. Meanwhile, George & John were the only Beatles who stayed longer with Maharishi. Actually, John (with the help of George) was so influenced by the teaching that he started meditate & sort of changed his mindset. There is a footage of the band in India where John's condition is very well shown.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2013, 07:27:58 AM »

Ringo has continued to show up at TM events though, and supports the cause - he left India in the first place because he couldn't stand the food and his wife couldn't stand the massive bugs in their chalet.

Paul left because he was bored and didn't have a 'hallelujah' moment.

John & George left because of the (still, after all these years, unconfirmed) rumours that The Maharishi was making passes at Mia Farrow. George maintained an deep devotion to Indian spirituality for the rest of his life, just not TM, and John didn't. He went from everything to taking smack to the avant garde to radical politics to primal therapy to partying like a madman. John had phases. TM was just one of them.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:34:44 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2013, 07:31:54 AM »

I never got any negative vibes from any of the Beatles towards any of the beach boys but, whenever I see or read things of them being in the same place, the beatle (usually Paul) seems very uninterested and in photos often looks like he's just posing with another fan...whereas the beach boys usually tell these extravagant stories of meeting a beatle like ML's TM stories...or Bruce taking Pet Sounds to Lennon & McCartney...or Brian literally counting all his meetings with Paul.

I'm pretty sure Paul McCartney doesn't treat every fan like he treats Brian at the Smile concert he attended....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0SriaRRcA6w#t=5711s

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2013, 07:41:04 AM »

Ringo left India in the first place because he couldn't stand the food.
Yep, forgot about the "food" complain. Now it's my turn to correct you: Maharishi "was making passes" not at Mia, but her shy sister prudence - hence, the song written by John called "Dear Prudence" (btw, one of the few Beatles songs I still like; nice tranquil mood it has).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2013, 07:43:15 AM »

I'm pretty sure Paul McCartney doesn't treat every fan like he treats Brian at the Smile concert he attended....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0SriaRRcA6w#t=5711s

I'm pretty sure Brian doesn't treat ANYBODY like he treats Paul McCartney at the SMiLE concert. I mean, he kisses Paul's hand! Shocked Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx