gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:55:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jardine challenges Love to battle of the bands in explosive interview...  (Read 53324 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2013, 09:18:35 PM »

I believe Mike and Bruce kept playing corporate dates with their lineup during the C50 tour.
Nicko1234
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2013, 09:55:15 PM »

Well my bone of contention with this whole issue would be to question whether or not it was sound business for the C50 to end?  I mean you could make the argument that by ending the C50, The Beach Boys turned down opportunities to explore a number of different ventures that not only would've netted them money but also would've helped raise the profile of their brand further to modern audiences.  My gauge on the situation is one of the reasons a number of fans are still miffed is that we've never really gotten the explanation we are seeking as to why it was necessary to end the C50.  We've gotten a lot of speculation and even some really good solid comments from those who would have more insight into the situation than the average joe but nothing in terms of an official statement as to why the "good vibrations" had to end.

Without getting into the rights and wrongs of the whole thing again, Mike likes to play 100 shows a year and Brian doesn't on a regular basis. They were never going to be compatible in the long term.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2013, 10:10:51 PM »

I don't consider the interview explosive, not even provocative.  Al is expressing feelings that are fairly well known to people that follow the group, although I don't know about the second album. 

Mike Love has a band that is like a well oiled machine, and the families that depend financially on the band for their jobs.  He's an old guy and fairly set in his ways, and undoubtedly didn't like dealing with Brian and Co.  I would have liked to see the band stay together but keeping that much ego and lingering resentment together for more than a year, with all the competing economic interests, is a tall order.

If Al and Brian want to prove themselves superior, release an incredible album that is a hit with the critics and fans. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2013, 10:19:29 PM »

Well my bone of contention with this whole issue would be to question whether or not it was sound business for the C50 to end?  I mean you could make the argument that by ending the C50, The Beach Boys turned down opportunities to explore a number of different ventures that not only would've netted them money but also would've helped raise the profile of their brand further to modern audiences.  My gauge on the situation is one of the reasons a number of fans are still miffed is that we've never really gotten the explanation we are seeking as to why it was necessary to end the C50.  We've gotten a lot of speculation and even some really good solid comments from those who would have more insight into the situation than the average joe but nothing in terms of an official statement as to why the "good vibrations" had to end.

Without getting into the rights and wrongs of the whole thing again, Mike likes to play 100 shows a year and Brian doesn't on a regular basis. They were never going to be compatible in the long term.

There were lots of ways to do it without Brian having to play every single date. Mike chose none of them.
Nicko1234
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2013, 10:26:05 PM »

I don't consider the interview explosive, not even provocative.  Al is expressing feelings that are fairly well known to people that follow the group, although I don't know about the second album. 

Mike Love has a band that is like a well oiled machine, and the families that depend financially on the band for their jobs.  He's an old guy and fairly set in his ways, and undoubtedly didn't like dealing with Brian and Co.  I would have liked to see the band stay together but keeping that much ego and lingering resentment together for more than a year, with all the competing economic interests, is a tall order.

If Al and Brian want to prove themselves superior, release an incredible album that is a hit with the critics and fans. 

This.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2013, 10:33:31 PM »

This.

It's an interview that will live on in Beach Boys history! Explosive is underselling it. Al threw the gauntlet down.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2013, 10:33:53 PM »

This is wartime now.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2013, 10:45:53 PM »

I think - and this isn't even close to a new angle: been advanced here before - that if you read between the lines of his comments since 9/28/12, there was something, and a substantial something, about the whole C50 setup that wasn't to Mike's liking and that this feeling grew as the tour progressed, until he thought "enough". You could, were one feeling exceedingly simplistic, sum it up thus:

Band agrees to 50(ish) dates...
Tour is obviously looking good, great reviews...
Band is asked to extend tour 50%...
All agree...
More offers on the table...
Band is asked to extend tour again...
Mike declines, which (apparently) blindsides everyone else as they thought he'd just play along again.

Let's ignore the pre-arranged and well-documented dates, and - if possible, although I realise for some this is an almighty stretch, but let's be adults here for once - lay aside the "because he's an asshole" knee-jerk response... what transpired over the summer to make Mr. Positivity turn down the chance to carry on having a great time and get plaudits for it (for a change) ?  Had to be something substantial, and it's been hinted at in interviews yet remains just out of reach.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2013, 10:48:51 PM »

There were lots of ways to do it without Brian having to play every single date. Mike chose none of them.

But then, according to a faction here, when he sat out, it's not The Beach Boys. That was the whole point of C50 - all the band there, all the time. And dammit, they were.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2013, 10:52:40 PM »

Actually taking up Al's suggestion -- and ending with a long joint encore -- would be great for morale and Mike's publicity.  And he can keep calling the shots with his lean band.  His band wouldn't sound as good as Brian's -- but it would sound better than most people think it would, hence giving his touring band more credibility with the press and those who tend to look their nose at them.

It really is a wonderful idea from Mike's point of view and as suggested, band members swapping around all the time in different configurations. keep touring as is, do a charity show together and book the Hollywood Bowl! Less compromise, good press, do good for a few great causes, everybody throw their pet cause in. Raising money for lice reconstruction or water desalinization or whatever their kicks are this week.

Of course it isn't explosive or provocative. If Al Jardine were either he wouldn't be Al Jardine as much. It's biz as usual and that's why the first line of the first post is what it is. Hey, I can't help it if I'm a quantity over quality jokeslinger. Always leave them wanting less.

Still, if Mike had any brains he'd seize on this inspired bit of Jardine whimsy and make for one helluva weird chapter in all the unwritten books.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 10:58:46 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2013, 11:03:14 PM »

I guarantee when this thing happens there will Brighton Beach style riots that accompany it between the fans.

Nicko1234
« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2013, 11:04:20 PM »

It's an interview that will live on in Beach Boys history! Explosive is underselling it. Al threw the gauntlet down.

Al has given much more explosive interviews in the past. Smiley

He seems to be laughing throughout this one and is none too serious.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2013, 11:04:57 PM »

Al has given much more explosive interviews in the past. Smiley

He seems to be laughing throughout this one and is none too serious.

This is deathly serious friend, I'll see you at the riots

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2013, 11:06:40 PM »

We'll always remember this day... the day Al Jardine laughed. The cities will run red with blood. Children will cry out in the dark for Kokomo.

But there will be no Kokomo my friend, only the black unholy laugh of Alan Charles "Al" Jardine. Suffocating you in a sensible shirt. Strangling your throat into contortions of Kingston Trio numbers. Prepare for the plague and the constant screaming and shrieky screeching of the obnoxious crows. Clutch the your breast your postcards from California.

Mike response by Friday? Sunday?

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 11:10:31 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2013, 11:10:44 PM »

But then, according to a faction here, when he sat out, it's not The Beach Boys. That was the whole point of C50 - all the band there, all the time. And dammit, they were.

Even the "faction" you're talking about seem to have been able to accept a Beach Boys without Brian for most of the band's touring career from 1965-98... as long as there's enough other band members there.  A touring Beach Boys with Mike, Al, Bruce, and Dave, with Brian playing selected gigs (e.g. QVC round 2) would have been an option...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Nicko1234
« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2013, 11:15:38 PM »

Even the "faction" you're talking about seem to have been able to accept a Beach Boys without Brian for most of the band's touring career from 1965-98... as long as there's enough other band members there.  A touring Beach Boys with Mike, Al, Bruce, and Dave, with Brian playing selected gigs (e.g. QVC round 2) would have been an option...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

With Brian's backing band but no Brian?
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2013, 11:16:54 PM »

We'll always remember this day... the day Al Jardine laughed. The cities will run red with blood. Children will cry out in the dark for Kokomo.

But there will be no Kokomo my friend, only the black unholy laugh of Alan Charles "Al" Jardine. Suffocating you in a sensible shirt. Strangling your throat into contortions of Kingston Trio numbers. Prepare for the plague and the constant screaming and shrieky screeching of the obnoxious crows. Clutch the your breast your postcards from California.

Mike response by Friday? Sunday?

If he doesn't respond he's a coward

zachrwolfe
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2013, 11:23:03 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Well Mike's band is certainly good enough...
Nicko1234
« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2013, 11:29:46 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

So there would have been 2 completely separate touring bands with 2 completely separate configurations?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2013, 11:32:07 PM »

I think - and this isn't even close to a new angle: been advanced here before - that if you read between the lines of his comments since 9/28/12, there was something, and a substantial something, about the whole C50 setup that wasn't to Mike's liking and that this feeling grew as the tour progressed, until he thought "enough". You could, were one feeling exceedingly simplistic, sum it up thus:

All agree...
Mike declines, which (apparently) blindsides everyone else as they thought he'd just play along again.

Let's ignore the pre-arranged and well-documented dates, and - if possible, although I realise for some this is an almighty stretch, but let's be adults here for once - lay aside the "because he's an asshole" knee-jerk response... what transpired over the summer to make Mr. Positivity turn down the chance to carry on having a great time and get plaudits for it (for a change) ?  Had to be something substantial, and it's been hinted at in interviews yet remains just out of reach.

Stebbins said the wives stopped getting along (Melinda and Jackie). As to why not, I haven't a clue.

Mike's the only one who has given real interviews, but his line since last year seems to be the standard "Brian is being manipulated" rap (Ambha mentioned something along those lines on FB, too). He also complained at various times about how the album did, about how much the tour cost, about how many musicians were onstage, and about Brian being fat (IIRC). I've also heard that those tabloid reports of Mike walking out of early rehearsals weren't quite as preposterous as we all thought at the time.

Sounds like a fairly ego-driven, drama queeny kind of dude to me. The other thing that comes to mind is that perhaps he was unhappy with Joe Thomas getting a slice of the tour profits (or some other tour bookkeeping business).
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2013, 11:36:56 PM »

All agree...

Stebbins said the wives stopped getting along (Melinda and Jackie). As to why not, I haven't a clue.

Mike's the only one who has given real interviews, but his line since last year seems to be the standard "Brian is being manipulated" rap (Ambha mentioned something along those lines on FB, too). He also complained at various times about how the album did, about how much the tour cost, about how many musicians were onstage, and about Brian being fat (IIRC). I've also heard that those tabloid reports of Mike walking out of early rehearsals weren't quite as preposterous as we all thought at the time.

Sounds like a fairly ego-driven, drama queeny kind of dude to me. The other thing that comes to mind is that perhaps he was unhappy with Joe Thomas getting a slice of the tour profits (or some other tour bookkeeping business).

He was upset about how the album did?? Didn't TWGMTR go top 3?
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2013, 11:43:42 PM »

Well, then maybe he should've promoted the second single and album more and taken the second extension of C50 dates and tv appearances. That would've sold more albums, what with the being on the... popular tv programs instead of on the same bill as grilled chicken.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2013, 11:46:38 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

So there would have been 2 completely separate touring bands with 2 completely separate configurations?

The C50 deal was clear, an all or nothing situation.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2013, 11:49:10 PM »

Yeah, but total final sales were only around the 200,000 mark.  Which again, is not bad given how Beach Boys album sales have traditionally gone (only two albums have even hit 500,000 since "Pet Sounds")... but it's no "Kokomo" or "Still Cruisin'".

Cheers,
Jon BLum
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2013, 11:55:33 PM »

Yeah, but total final sales were only around the 200,000 mark.  Which again, is not bad given how Beach Boys album sales have traditionally gone (only two albums have even hit 500,000 since "Pet Sounds")... but it's no "Kokomo" or "Still Cruisin'".

Cheers,
Jon BLum

Perhaps if the album hadn't contained Mike-pleasing codswallop like Daybreak Over The Ocean it might've sold better... I'm sure Mike will secretly be thinking the album didn't sell better because of all those downers Brian stuck on the end. The Beach Boys are supposed to be about positivity etc. etc. etc.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx