gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681111 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 09:30:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jardine challenges Love to battle of the bands in explosive interview...  (Read 53552 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2013, 01:55:05 PM »

Do we need harsh interrogation lights?

"Tell it to the judge, pal. I'm sure he'll be REALLY interested in those 2004-5 setlists..."

Hmmm, page 3. Ok, boys. I want a clean fight. No razors, no nonsense. I want citations, I want passionate argument, stirring invective, and jokes involving Big Sur. If you find yourself somehow having strong opinions, just imagine a universe where other people have them too and they seem to think they are just as valid as yours despite what people say on message boards. No appeals to authority, no rehashing of the Beach Boys Family and Friends fiasco under penalty of boring people to death. Striped shirts and LSD are optional. And.... FIGHT!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:00:14 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2013, 01:58:05 PM »

First off, I still feel as though Mike Love had the right to do whatever he wanted. Do I think it sucks that he didn't wanna continue working with Brian and Al?? Surely. Do I think he's kind of an asshole? Surely.

But here's the other thing. I don't know how the license is renewed or how they deal with it, but as of now Mike Love and Bruce Johnston are still out there touring as The Beach Boys while it seems Brian Wilson and Al Jardine haven't done anything to stop them. Maybe behind the scenes they are, but I'm not sure about that.

Lotta dead bands and musicians keep releasing albums.

Andrew, do you really think it would be sensible to release a Beach Boys album of brand new songs if the group has broken up? Would that behoove either the group or Capitol to do that?

Also, why are you insuating that The Beach Boys are a "dead band"? Aren't they touring this summer? You protested that point a few weeks ago. Mike and Bruce are The Beach Boys, right? Or do you only pull that card out when it suits you?

And also, since you are really good at ignoring posts that make you look like an asshole, I doubt you'll answer this one. But here goes anyways:

DO YOU QUESTION THE VERACITY OF JON STEBBINS REPORTING THAT THE GROUP WAS OFFERED A SECOND NEW ALBUM BY CAPITOL BUT THAT MIKE LOVE TORPEDOED IT?

It's obvious that AGD would believe that Stebbins is part of the "more infantile, less knowledgeable."
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »

Yup, Alan was sooooooooooooooooo upset about what happened that it's taken him all of eight months to say anything concrete about it.

"We were just shocked. After all the momentum we created, that he would want to continue on alone – we didn't understand it." Odd that, being shocked by something that had been printed some three months earlier in Rolling Stone.

Oh, and if there's "a follow-up album ready to go"... why are they wasting time in the studio ?  Just release it.

How often Al has spoken about this, or how long has passed with or without comment, has nothing to do with how he feels. Nobody is apparently knocking Al’s door down to do interviews, and the interviews all of these guys do don’t always get into much detail anyway. More importantly, I don’t even get the feeling Al is “sooooooo upset” about this. Sounds like he’s bummed about it, as many fans are that aren’t more enthusiastic and celebratory about Mike’s “agreed upon” schedule, but he’s gotten over it and is doing other stuff now. Sounds like Al is less bummed about it than I and many fans are!

Concerning the “shock”, I think it’s been well established that the “shock” wasn’t a case of the others not being aware Mike had booked some shows, but more to do with their likely unrealistic optimism that Mike would want to continue the reunion in the not-too-distant future. It has been established that firm plans were unclear until pretty late in the game. I just find it so, so perplexing that fans, especially really enthusiastic, scholarly fans, can be so negative towards Al for being too optimistic or unrealistic when the topic of that optimism was continuing an awesome reunion.

As for the album being “ready to go”, my guess is Al was loosely referring to many tracks being recorded and ready to go. He was using hyperbole to describe the general idea that plenty of stuff was ready to go. I don’t think he meant a sequenced, mixed, mastered album was ready to go. Further, even if an album was fully mastered and ready to go, why would anyone want to release another “Beach Boys” album when the lineup on the album has broken up and splintered into separate factions? The label would likely find such a scenario confusing and difficult to promote. Venues/promoters would likely see additional confusion as a Mike/Bruce lineup would presumably be promoting an album by a band of the same name but would only be representing 2/5 of the band on the album. I think it’s ridiculous to presume that it would be at all realistic to release a second “reunion” lineup Beach Boys album under the current circumstances of the band being splintered again.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2013, 02:00:49 PM »

Really, really, really... I expected better than this canard so old it's fraying at the edges. That's exactly the kind of nonsense I'd expect from the more infantile, less knowledgeable posters.

AGD finally addresses the smiley smile class system
LOL

"the legendary Georg Ludwig von Trapp"

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2013, 02:02:22 PM »

Yeah so it was said three months prior that they'd end it at a certain point (which Mike then duly did) - but for God's sake, that was before the tour/album became the huge success that it did, and for all that to then seemingly count for nothing is just weirdly unemotional. To just blindly go along with pre-arranged plans regardless of changes in circumstances is just plain cold.

Not so - by then the tour had already been extended beyond the original 50 US dates.

I don't think a full perspective of the gravity of the tour was attainable at that stage. Final receipts from the full tour in terms of dollars were also not available. Not all of the data was in, and clearly the feelings of the fans and even the band members had not been fully guaged.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, needing or wanting to extend the tour is evidence that a further extension was warranted and doable. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:14:30 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »

Oh, and if there's "a follow-up album ready to go"... why are they wasting time in the studio ?  Just release it.

Because -- if I'm reading this right -- it was a Beach Boys album. The full lineup isn't together anymore. Brian is now making his own record.

So it's a Beach Boys album, and it's ready to roll, according to ACJ. So, keep the momentum going: release it.

However... strange than no-one else has so much as hinted at this finished followup just sitting there waiting to be released. My guess - and this is all it is, and worth about that much - is that Alan's referring to the cuts left over after Capitol chose those released.

So after Mike has publicly stated that he doesn’t currently want to do more reunion dates with the full lineup, after he has expressed mixed feelings about the recording process and success of last year’s reunion album, mixed feelings about the makeup of the touring band, and a desire to only work with Brian under a specific set of guidelines, and after Brian has already touted recording solo material, in the midst of all of this, while Mike and Bruce tour as “The Beach Boys”, it seems realistic and appropriate to release another “reunion” album? That makes no sense. It also ignores that Mike would have to sign off on the release of said theoretical album, which I doubt he would. So it’s not even logistically possible for Brian and Al to say, “Fine, Mike won’t tour with us, we’ll show him by releasing another Beach Boys album that includes him but that we can’t tour behind to promote.” Whaaa?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:15:28 PM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2013, 02:10:34 PM »

Because -- if I'm reading this right -- it was a Beach Boys album. The full lineup isn't together anymore. Brian is now making his own record.

So it's a Beach Boys album, and it's ready to roll, according to ACJ. So, keep the momentum going: release it.

There was no record company willing to do so. According to Jon Stebbins, Capitol took the option of a second BB album off the table after Mike blew up the group. There was no longer any functional collection of musicians to promote it.

Lotta dead bands and musicians keep releasing albums.

I don’t think there are a plethora of examples of a band putting out an additional “reunion” album less than a year after said reunion breaks up, not of everyone’s equal accord, and while 2/5 of that reunion band continues to tour under the band’s name. I’d buy such an album, that would be awesome. But I can see why such a move would be a logistical nightmare for numerous reasons.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2013, 02:13:21 PM »

It just seems like a pointless distraction, just reaching for things to be sarcastic about while sliding goalposts around.

It's kinda sad Mike missed out on... The Last Car Song. You know it needs the nasal! He should be ALL over that and every other rateyourmusic review is going to point that out.

Gawd, remember those interviews last year?

RAZ: Do you sometimes think, God, why did we waste our time ever fighting?

LOVE: Yeah, I do. I think of definite mistakes made because of ego and whatever reasons and I just didn't - wasn't thinking clearly enough. And so I'm glad all that stuff is in the past, and we're on the same page together harmony wise. So we're all about harmony these days, both individually and musically.

RAZ: A lot has been made, you know, over the years, of the differences that the two of you have had. But what do you share? What do Mike Love and Brian Wilson share?

WILSON: Fifty years of music.

(LAUGHTER)

LOVE: Make it 70.

WILSON: That's a lot of odd years of - you know, to be together.

LOVE: Yeah.

WILSON: And we still love each other.

LOVE: That's right.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:33:48 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2013, 02:34:51 PM »

It's almost as if there's only one possible way to settle this score once and for all...

hmmmm

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2013, 02:36:10 PM »

Put vague lookalikes in a cage?

Fig. 3535. The Love Between Cousins.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:38:29 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2013, 02:41:14 PM »

Yup, Alan was sooooooooooooooooo upset about what happened that it's taken him all of eight months to say anything concrete about it.

"We were just shocked. After all the momentum we created, that he would want to continue on alone – we didn't understand it." Odd that, being shocked by something that had been printed some three months earlier in Rolling Stone.

Oh, and if there's "a follow-up album ready to go"... why are they wasting time in the studio ?  Just release it.

Well I AM feeling smug as it seems increasingly like I'm the only one who's heard this ready to go follow-up.

It's actually a double album and includes a couple of reworkings of songs originally recorded for tWGMTR. There's quite a bit of auto tune as you might expext but the line-up is also slightly different as it features John Cowsill and Scott Totten from The M&B Show and is otherwise members of the BW band.

There's not been (and won't be) a supporting tour to promote it.

It's a live thing that's been around a month or three now… surprised more people here haven't bought it…

“We live in divisive times.”
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2013, 02:45:11 PM »

Hi, this is Al, this scene takes place at a typical Beach Boys practice session we're in the midst of preparing for the last C50 show when a feud breaks out between Brian and Mike

"Alright you guys we have a show this weekend and Bruce and I could be shagging groupies, so what do you say we go over the ending of reunion contract one more time?"

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 03:02:31 PM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2013, 02:47:20 PM »

When we start getting bored of this one, somebody ask Bruce on BBB what he makes of the battle of the bands idea.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2013, 02:47:54 PM »

DO YOU QUESTION THE VERACITY OF JON STEBBINS REPORTING THAT THE GROUP WAS OFFERED A SECOND NEW ALBUM BY CAPITOL BUT THAT MIKE LOVE TORPEDOED IT?

Nope - Jon is a reliable commentator. If he says that, it's credible.

Thing is, he didn't say that: according to Wirestone, what he said was, Capitol took the option of a second BB album off the table after Mike 'blew up the group' (which he didn't). Which I read as, the company declined to pick up the option when they realised that Mike was sticking to the pre-arranged gameplan. Less emotive, to be sure, and a less satisfying strapline, but more accurate.

BTW, no need to shout, dear - I'm not deaf and it's bad for your blood pressure.

It's obvious that AGD would believe that Stebbins is part of the "more infantile, less knowledgeable."

Again, nope - he's exceedingly knowledgeable, always makes a valid, balanced point and writes in excellent English, none of which the likes of OSD can manage.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:58:36 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2013, 02:48:37 PM »

Anyone who says they wouldn't go to this hypothetical showdown is a liar

I'd pay top dollar....

They need to do it exactly like the Sammy Hagar/David Lee Roth showdown, fiasco tour!

Sparks will fly!!!!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2013, 02:53:43 PM »

It'd be an almost brilliant way to twist this negativity and bad press into fun, $$$, and make the competition a bit friendlier. Why the hell not? Mike could book everybody at the Super-8 Motel, Brian could pay for a fleet of flying buses with chocolate chip cookie dough dispensers. Shake hands like gentlemen, end by sharing the stage on Fun, Fun, Fun.

Carl Wilson Foundation? Think about it. Even if you need fencing masks for negotiations.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:55:18 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2013, 03:00:50 PM »

It'd be an almost brilliant way to twist this negativity and bad press into fun, $$$, and make the competition a bit friendlier. Why the hell not? Mike could book everybody at the Super-8 Motel, Brian could pay for a fleet of flying buses with chocolate chip cookie dough dispensers. Shake hands like gentlemen, end by sharing the stage on Fun, Fun, Fun.

Carl Wilson Foundation? Think about it. Even if you need fencing masks for negotiations.

I say there's no better premiere venue for this historic showdown than SeaWorld!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2013, 03:01:55 PM »

for a show of this magnitude we will likely need a couple of opening bands on the undercard, maybe California Saga (with the Wilsons/Jardines entering from one side of the stage, the Loves from the other just like their parents used to do) vs. Jessie and the Rippers

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2013, 03:03:24 PM »

they can each have a choice of one hologram of Carl and Dennis each to choose from as well...Brian should choose Dennis that way he can sing "You are so beautiful" all sad and then the audience would go "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh". Mike can use Carl to sing "Keepin the summer alive"...
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »

they can each have a choice of one hologram of Carl and Dennis each to choose from as well...Brian should choose Dennis that way he can sing "You are so beautiful" all sad and then the audience would go "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh". Mike can use Carl to sing "Keepin the summer alive"...

Can we have a hologram Dennis kick over his drums and beat the crap out of Mike?
Paulos
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2013, 03:05:23 PM »

I say there's no better premiere venue for this historic showdown than SeaWorld!

Shamu will be delighted.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2013, 03:05:38 PM »

they can each have a choice of one hologram of Carl and Dennis each to choose from as well...

LOL

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2013, 03:05:44 PM »

Van Dyke Parks delivering the let's get ready to rumble(TM) bit at the start.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2013, 03:06:46 PM »

The electric car line charms me so much I'm inclined to give him my lunch money without a fight if he tried to bully me for it.

Well I saved my pennies and saved my dimes
giddy up giddy up hybrid o'mine
Polluting the earth is a real crime
giddy up giddy up hybrid o'mine
So I finally bought this little 'ol hybrid of mine.

Smiley

It happened on the strip where the road is wired

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 03:23:48 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2013, 03:12:44 PM »

Can we have a hologram Dennis kick over his drums and beat the crap out of Mike?
actually yes we can,,,,we'll hook up a string to the drum set find a hologram of Dennis kicking and pull the string as if he's kicking it and we can have Dennis walk back stage and have the voice of Mike yelling as if getting beat up with sound effects of things breaking etc..
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx