gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680847 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 01:58:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jardine challenges Love to battle of the bands in explosive interview...  (Read 53315 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 28, 2013, 12:53:09 PM »

I think most of us here will agree that much of the Beach Boys music post 70s is cheesy and uninspired, but I often wonder just how popular the Beach Boys would be if it weren't for Mike Love revisiting all the oldies.  I grew up on the Surfin Hits, and I've wondered if I would ever have discovered the more obscure Beach Boys material without this foundation.

On another note, there is much about The Boys' post 70s output that I find to be highly inspired, even glorious, such as Goin' On, Livin' With A Heartache, Getcha Back, even I'm So Lonely has its charms.

Livin' With A Heartache is just gosh darn drop dead gorgeous!

It really is. A lotta people here don't seem to care for it for some reason. I don't know why. One of Carl's best deliveries...

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #326 on: June 28, 2013, 01:10:40 PM »

I think most of us here will agree that much of the Beach Boys music post 70s is cheesy and uninspired, but I often wonder just how popular the Beach Boys would be if it weren't for Mike Love revisiting all the oldies.  I grew up on the Surfin Hits, and I've wondered if I would ever have discovered the more obscure Beach Boys material without this foundation.

On another note, there is much about The Boys' post 70s output that I find to be highly inspired, even glorious, such as Goin' On, Livin' With A Heartache, Getcha Back, even I'm So Lonely has its charms.

It really is. A lotta people here don't seem to care for it for some reason. I don't know why. One of Carl's best deliveries...

It's an awesome song. To my ears, it's by far the best on KTSA (with the title track a comfortable second). I absolutely love the descending melody on the chorus: 'After all this time/I still wish you were mine...' Great stuff!
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 28, 2013, 01:39:03 PM »

I dig the song and is the only one I really like off of that album.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: June 28, 2013, 03:57:15 PM »

I was told a story by a few different sources that I can't prove so I won't print. Here all I will say is that it seems it happened during a plastic surgery to fix a check bone Murry had crushed.

Interesting. Can you tell us what year this surgery occurred?
I think it happened sometime in 1985 or 1986. There is a Paul McCartney doc Brian took part in shot in the summer of 1986. His mouth is very droopy.

I've heard that story too, as well as the plastic surgery bit. I think it was circulated pretty commonly in the BW fan communities at one point -- I started on the boards in the mid- to late-90s and believe I heard it there.

It's in one of the books, forget which (Gaines ? White ?).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 03:59:02 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RonBaker2003
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 28, 2013, 04:21:06 PM »

I also like "Livin' with a Heartache".  I think Carl could sing anything and make it sound better than it really was, but this song is a good one.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: June 28, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »

I was told a story by a few different sources that I can't prove so I won't print. Here all I will say is that it seems it happened during a plastic surgery to fix a check bone Murry had crushed.

I think it happened sometime in 1985 or 1986. There is a Paul McCartney doc Brian took part in shot in the summer of 1986. His mouth is very droopy.

I've heard that story too, as well as the plastic surgery bit. I think it was circulated pretty commonly in the BW fan communities at one point -- I started on the boards in the mid- to late-90s and believe I heard it there.

That would explain the dent in his right cheek, I've always wondered about that.

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 28, 2013, 05:28:12 PM »

They played it live during a multi-date stay at the Palace Theatre in Cleveland (gotta check Bellagio for the exact date). As I recall, Mike said 'we're gonna play a new one by Carl that a lot of people seem to like...'

Always liked that one. Shoulda been on MIC. Or maybe the alternate version. With banjo and jews harp.

(made that last bit up to stir the pot)

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 28, 2013, 05:35:16 PM »

I want a KTSA Sessions box set! Smokin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 28, 2013, 05:54:46 PM »

They played it live during a multi-date stay at the Palace Theatre in Cleveland (gotta check Bellagio for the exact date). As I recall, Mike said 'we're gonna play a new one by Carl that a lot of people seem to like...'

Always liked that one. Shoulda been on MIC. Or maybe the alternate version. With banjo and jews harp.

I saw the Beach Boys perform "Livin' With A Heartache" at The Spectrum in Philadelphia in 1980. After the concert there was a live interview broadcast on a Philly radio station with Bruce and Brian. Bruce announced "Livin' With A Heartache" as the group's new single.

Yes, I also think "Livin' With A Hard On" should've been included on MIC, as should all the group's singles. But, that's for another thread, I guess... police
oldsurferdude
« Reply #334 on: June 28, 2013, 06:58:57 PM »

I saw the Beach Boys perform "Livin' With A Heartache" at The Spectrum in Philadelphia in 1980. After the concert there was a live interview broadcast on a Philly radio station with Bruce and Brian. Bruce announced "Livin' With A Heartache" as the group's new single.

Yes, I also think "Livin' With A Hard On" should've been included on MIC, as should all the group's singles. But, that's for another thread, I guess... police
The disc jockey was Micheal Tozzi on WIOQ-FM.
Nicko1234
« Reply #335 on: June 29, 2013, 12:37:01 AM »

Realistically I guess the single version of Livin' With a Heartache does deserve to be included on a rarities collection at some point.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: June 29, 2013, 04:23:01 AM »

"Livin' With A Heartache" is one of my favorite Carl-penned tunes, but my favorite by far on KTSA is Santa Ana Winds. They should have included that on MIC, a version where the intro is without the silly voice over. I know I may be the only one, but that recording moves me as much as Pet Sounds tracks do.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: June 29, 2013, 04:36:34 AM »

I also am a proponent of the stroke theory, which everyone close to Brian denies, but which wouldn't surprise me in the least. Because not only did Brian's behavior change, but it also seems like he literally forgot how to sing during the 80s.

When I revisited BW88 some time ago I was surprised to find the singing way better than I remembered. A bit better even than on BB85, I would say. So I'm out for the 85/86 stroke theory.

I find it unbelievable that a forum where people will argue over the smallest piece of information or opinions, will rip on AGD. You all ought to look in the mirror before calling someone else out.

A recent typical post by poor, ripped on AGD. , "I'd be inclined to give this post more weight if only it wasn't so nearly illiterate. Get someone to show you how to use spell check. Grammar check too."

Unfortunately,  these kind of posts are all too common from him.

Personally, I think I spell pretty well, but a badly spelled post from someone else can still be of much better content than mine.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: June 29, 2013, 04:41:47 AM »

Check out the post in question, then tell me I'm wrong. It actually hurt to read.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 29, 2013, 04:44:47 AM »

I also am a proponent of the stroke theory, which everyone close to Brian denies, but which wouldn't surprise me in the least. Because not only did Brian's behavior change, but it also seems like he literally forgot how to sing during the 80s.

When I revisited BW88 some time ago I was surprised to find the singing way better than I remembered. A bit better even than on BB85, I would say. So I'm out for the 85/86 stroke theory.

I find it unbelievable that a forum where people will argue over the smallest piece of information or opinions, will rip on AGD. You all ought to look in the mirror before calling someone else out.

A recent typical post by poor, ripped on AGD. , "I'd be inclined to give this post more weight if only it wasn't so nearly illiterate. Get someone to show you how to use spell check. Grammar check too."

Unfortunately,  these kind of posts are all too common from him.

Personally, I think I spell pretty well, but a badly spelled post from someone else can still be of much better content than mine.
If one doesn't get too distracted trying to decipher it. There is not only bad spelling, but bad punctuation and bad grammar. I probably skip over some pretty good posts because they are too tough to read.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 29, 2013, 05:16:02 AM »

The Timothy White book refers to him going for a facelift and the surgeon postponing the operation when his heart rate suddenly dropped due to the medication Landy had put him on. Was this the stroke we're discussing ? Possibly, maybe it was but White couldn't say, or didn't know.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 05:22:08 AM by D409 » Logged
MBE
« Reply #341 on: June 29, 2013, 08:41:24 AM »

Oh, ok. It's a noble crusade to HELP the Wilsons. I see.

I do spend plenty of time interviewing people, making documentaries, and publishing books nobody reads. Thanks for the interest and journalism lesson, scoop. Pardon me if it seems not exactly backed up by anything tangible. You'll find people are more prone to be credible when you provide facts and sources instead of hinting, rumormongering, and getting on your high Woodward/Bernstein horse.

I thought your research was about the MUSIC, man. None of this gossip stuff that ruins so many other books. What gives?
Stop being an ass and accept Mike's explanation. Never heard of source confidentiality? Brian is MUSIC, of course he is going to hear stories about the man, as well as his music. Grow Up!
This music part was added later so I had yet to respond. Yes that is right the music is the focus, which is why this type of thing is not in the book. The only reason it might have gone in is because Brian changed a lot from 1983 on and 1986 seems to be a real tipping point as to when things got ugly. That effects the music, yes? No matter anyhow because I am careful what I use and don't use.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 08:43:42 AM by Mike Eder » Logged
MBE
« Reply #342 on: June 29, 2013, 08:49:15 AM »

The Timothy White book refers to him going for a facelift and the surgeon postponing the operation when his heart rate suddenly dropped due to the medication Landy had put him on. Was this the stroke we're discussing ? Possibly, maybe it was but White couldn't say, or didn't know.
Yes the story I heard was about that day.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 29, 2013, 12:01:15 PM »

Really, really, really... I expected better than this canard so old it's fraying at the edges. That's exactly the kind of nonsense I'd expect from the more infantile, less knowledgeable posters.

"Yeah, he was moving soooooo slow in that crosswalk I had to run him over. No, I just couldn't drive around him, he is such an infantile walker". "the legendary Georg Ludwig von Trapp"

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: June 29, 2013, 01:26:08 PM »

Check out the post in question, then tell me I'm wrong. It actually hurt to read.

I remember reading that post, it didn't hurt me, I've read worse, but there's several ways one can react to spelling like that. Some of these ways are nicer than others, but I'm not interested in having an argument about stuff like this anyway.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: June 29, 2013, 01:34:41 PM »

I remember reading that post, it didn't hurt me, I've read worse, but there's several ways one can react to spelling like that. Some of these ways are nicer than others, but I'm not interested in having an argument about stuff like this anyway.
Wouldn't we all Micha, wouldn't we all. Nicely said. As the saing goes, "if you can't say something nice, ....".

Flame Wars - Sound familiar?

http://www.webpronews.com/internet-bullies-the-ugly-truth-about-online-forums-and-how-business-owners-can-stop-the-verbal-abuse-2001-08

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: June 29, 2013, 01:52:26 PM »

Wouldn't we all Micha, wouldn't we all. Nicely said. As the saing goes, "if you can't say something nice, ....".

Actually, if I remember correctly (too lazy to check that), Andrew actually did say something nice about that posting, but it was buried deep down in his teaching the poster about his shortcomings.

Now probably Andrew will correct my grammar in that last phrase.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 29, 2013, 02:01:43 PM »

Actually, if I remember correctly (too lazy to check that), Andrew actually did say something nice about that posting, but it was buried deep down in his teaching the poster about his shortcomings.

Now probably Andrew will correct my grammar in that last phrase.
Why do you take exception with wanting to write well? I don't get this line of thinking. I guess it's ok, because you don't have to read your own shitty grammar? The one's who have to try and read it are the ones who have to suffer through it. If someone doesn't care how they write down their thoughts, then why should we care about their thoughts and opinions?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 04:37:12 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: June 29, 2013, 02:55:11 PM »

I do try to write well. But, as I said, I don't want to have an argument, so let's get back to Al.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 29, 2013, 03:05:02 PM »

I do try to write well. But, as I said, I don't want to have an argument, so let's get back to Al.
It was not directed specifically at you. It was just a general statement.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,