gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:46:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pixies appreciation thread  (Read 1918 times)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2013, 11:54:39 AM »

They came into my life at an exact right time (one or two months ago) and were exactly what I needed: something short, funny, noisy, crazy, not-artsy-fartsy (but not dumb either) to head-bang and scream my lungs out to in-between studying like crazy for the exams. Oh, and they only changed it for better. Although, when I say "they", I actually mean "it", because it's 'Surfer Rosa' that did it for me. I think that album's prefect as it is, with each and every track a gem. I love 'Doolittle' as well, but it's just not the same. It's that first-listen impact that matters, and very few records did it better than Rosa.

P.S. Wanted to post a favourite song, but couldn't really pick just one, so I decided to give up.

Any other fans around?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:56:03 AM by Ovi » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 12:50:14 PM »

I've only heard their singles, it's one of those bands that you love when their music comes on the radio but never go through the trouble to actually get their albums and listen to all the other great stuff that must be on there.  I like This Monkey's Gone to Heaven and "Here comes Your Man"

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 10:18:27 PM »

I'm not sure I get what you mean. Why wouldn't you want to explore their albums if you love what you hear on the radio? Plus, it's a short discography, with all 4 studio albums getting mostly positive reviews everywhere.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 10:25:51 PM by Ovi » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 07:03:05 AM »

I've probably heard 100 bands and really liked their singles but never took the time to listen to their albums.  There's only so many hours in the day and the pixies haven't made the cut yet. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 08:54:51 AM »

I've never heard the Pixies on the radio.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 12:40:46 PM »

The "Wave of Mutilation" comp is a good place to get started if you don't want to dive into albums. It's got the pop-ier singles like Here Comes Your Man and Gigantic, plus gets into some of the weird deep album cuts too. I love the Pixies and would recommend anyone check them out that's got a bend for harder or alt rock.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 10:47:49 PM »

I've never heard the Pixies on the radio.

I've ONLY heard the Pixies on the radio.  Wanna trade lives?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 01:46:36 PM »

I'm old enough that I saw the Pixies several times in clubs in Boston. Amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx