gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:19:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Amusement Parks USA  (Read 7482 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2013, 08:01:52 AM »

Thought I'd throw an unpopular opinion in here... Tongue  I've already posted that I love "Amusement Parks U.S.A." (and just listened to it about 25 times on repeat), but I never really liked that crazy laugh by Brian. It kind of distracts, it's (to me) annoying, and lends toward making the song too much of a novelty song. Just sayin'...

But that's what helps to give it the illusion of being at some crazy ass amusement park.. The song without the sound effects/crazy laughter would be pretty damn bland.

I never associated a crazy laugh like that with an amusement park, but that's just me I guess. I do like the other sound effects and the talking (including Hal Blaine) during the bridge, though. Anyway...

Is the Steel Pier in Atlantic City still around? When I was a kid, our family used to vacation at the Jersey shore and we would visit the Steel Pier. Also, there was a TV show on one of the Philadelphia TV stations in the 1960's and 70's, Summertime On The Pier hosted by Ed Hurst. It was a lower budget Where The Action Is, but it did make you wish you were there!
The pier is still there, but everything that was on it was demolished a long time ago. It was the place of my first Beach Boys show in July 1969.
I was there as well-remember the opening fiasco of Breakaway?
No, I don't remember. All I remember was Carl introducing it as their latest single. I bought as soon as I got back home to Philly. As I recall, they were there for 2 or 3 days. On rainy or overcast days, we would drive from Wildwood up to AC and spend the whole day on the pier. I know it was a weekday, but for the life of me I can't remember which show it was, except that is was around 2-3 pm, thereabouts.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:03:12 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2013, 09:42:40 AM »

The backing tracks on Summer Days are probably the second best in the Beach Boys cannon, behind Pet Sounds.

Mike does a good job lyrically on this song, come on..It's a song about Amusement Parks. For some reason Mike felt like writing about Amusement Parks and Salt Lake City that year.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2013, 09:57:29 AM »

When I first became a Beach Boys' fan (mid-1970's), Summer Days (And Summer Nights) was out of print. The album was later reissued under the title California Girls with a new cover - and "Amusement Parks USA" was deleted from the album! Shocked Does anybody know why a couple of tracks from each of those reissued albums were NOT INCLUDED?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2013, 10:09:28 AM »

When I first became a Beach Boys' fan (mid-1970's), Summer Days (And Summer Nights) was out of print. The album was later reissued under the title California Girls with a new cover - and "Amusement Parks USA" was deleted from the album! Shocked Does anybody know why a couple of tracks from each of those reissued albums were NOT INCLUDED?

Yes, I had Shut Down Vol II reissued as Fun Fun Fun, minus a few tracks. No idea why.
petzounds29
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2013, 09:59:53 PM »

Brian updated this on rollerskating child  Check out the backing track on this mother -great keyboards on this track sounds like one  or more of the keyboards are playing  backwards.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2013, 02:24:00 AM »

I don't think the lyrics are bad at all.

And I definitely agree that  Summer Days is NOT a step back from Today! I think it's sound is more original(less overtly Spector-y) and is more well-rounded.
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2013, 02:34:19 AM »

"Amusement Parks USA" is The Beach Boys doing what they do best, making unique sounding, fun records that just make you smile when you hear them. This is a great song, it may not have meaningful lyrics, but music is meant to be enjoyed in all its forms. A great backing track, great vocals, what more could you ask for?

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2013, 11:47:32 AM »

I just listened to the Summer Days mono/stereo reissue from 2012. The Stereo Amusement Parks USA  is missing the various overdubs that give the track it's maniancal feel. On this one, Brian's original mix takes the day.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »

I just listened to the Summer Days mono/stereo reissue from 2012. The Stereo Amusement Parks USA  is missing the various overdubs that give the track it's maniancal feel. On this one, Brian's original mix takes the day.
True, but there are some things to hear that you miss in the mono mix, as well. Well worth having both.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »

And the sound quality of APUSA on the stereo issue is not up to snuff - there's a weird phasing artifact or something.  The Amusement Parks alternate vocal on MIC will sound much better if it's anything like the Sea of Tunes track.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2013, 11:57:28 AM »

And the sound quality of APUSA on the stereo issue is not up to snuff - there's a weird phasing artifact or something.  The Amusement Parks alternate vocal on MIC will sound much better if it's anything like the Sea of Tunes track.

I hate it when people on here shorten song titles to a few capital letters and we've then got to try to figure out which song is being referred too. Annoying habit - stop it people! I can't be bothered figuring it out - what does APUSA stand for?
zachrwolfe
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2013, 12:06:01 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:01:12 PM by zatch » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2013, 12:31:42 PM »

I hate it when people on here shorten song titles to a few capital letters and we've then got to try to figure out which song is being referred too. Annoying habit - stop it people! I can't be bothered figuring it out - what does APUSA stand for?

I would agree with you in most cases, but, since this thread is about Amusement Parks USA...

Ah. See I was racking my brains thinking of 5 worded song titles... A P U S A. My bad. Still, it IS annoying...
zachrwolfe
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2013, 02:01:26 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:01:04 PM by zatch » Logged
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2013, 04:36:45 PM »

Can I resubmit for a higher grade?
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2013, 04:38:05 PM »

In truth, you are quite right. It is annoying. As of now...I am done with it!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx