gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:14:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Amusement Parks USA  (Read 7555 times)
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2013, 06:17:42 AM »

Here's another one that's taken a beating from the commentariat.

Too bad, as what I am hearing is a masterpiece of Psychedelia that is itself as fun as the topic it describes:

"Come on in and see Stella the Snake Dancer -
       She shimmies, she shakes,
       She's got the biggest asp!"

Of course the BBs had touched upon the theme with County Fair, and Freddie Canon's Palisades Park is a certified R n R classic. Lennon would rework the theme in an English vein with Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite. But none can touch APUSA.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 06:22:52 AM »

I love the boys' voices on it. Cheesy "Looks like a fake to me!" etc.

Fun fact: it's Hal Blaine voicing the amusement park announcer. If I remember correctly.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 06:33:53 AM »

"Amusement Parks USA" might be the wildest, most intense two minutes that Brian Wilson ever recorded. Has it ever been performed live? It would've been cool to hear the C50 band tackle it at a soundcheck or something. Maybe Mike & Bruce will give it a shot some day.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 06:35:54 AM »

Here's another one that's taken a beating from the commentariat.

Too bad, as what I am hearing is a masterpiece of Psychedelia that is itself as fun as the topic it describes:

"Come on in and see Stella the Snake Dancer -
       She shimmies, she shakes,
       She's got the biggest asp!"

Of course the BBs had touched upon the theme with County Fair, and Freddie Canon's Palisades Park is a certified R n R classic. Lennon would rework the theme in an English vein with Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite. But none can touch APUSA.

Definitely early psychedelia. I've always loved this song. I think it's the lyrics that put people off, but as I never listen to lyrics, not a problem for me.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 06:36:45 AM »

While I hate the phrase "Psychedelia", I agree that this is a good song. An entertaining one too with its "EHHHHHEHHEHEHEHEHEHHHH" and "Looks like a fake to me!" and "HAURRRAY HAURRRRAY HAURRRRAY".

Man, again, it's like the majority of "music fans" hate anything that's not stabbing-myself-in-the-face serious. Not everything needs to be "I Just Wasn't Made For Having Fun" and "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To Have A) Sense Of Humor". It's gotta be the best song ever or they don't bother. It's either gotta be over the top self-important or total novelty with these folks to understand, anything in the grey area is in "poor taste" or some sh*t.

Either way, LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHIN MISTER. THAT "GREY AREA" IS THE EXACT REASON I LOVE THIS BAND. I LOVE THE SUPER SERIOUS. I LOVE THE TOTAL NOVELTY. BUT I ALSO FUCKING LOVE "TAKE A LOAD OFF YOUR FEET, PETE" AND Gosh Darn "AMUSEMENT PARKS USA" AND "VEGA-TABLES" AND "FRIENDS" AND ETc. ETC>

GHAHRHRHAHRAHRAH WHY CAN'T YOU FUCKING PEOPLE HAVE ANY FUN LIKE ME. IT'S ALL ABOUT FUN OVER HERE. f*** YOU GUYS, I NEED TO GO LAY DOWN, MY CHEST HURTS AGAIN.

(Again, no condescending meant, but it breaks mah heart to see people bashing songs that aren't 10/10 bloated, self-important "I am an serious artist" songs)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 06:39:17 AM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 06:51:09 AM »

Also, what is a TM in the PM ;( more like PM in the TM (aka a Prime Minister you receive at night containing rare unrealized bryan wilson demos called "fuck mike love" and "hoh hoh bobby" that the mods told you you can't post about on the board)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 06:59:51 AM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 06:53:06 AM »

Once more in English please.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 07:00:29 AM »

Once more in English please.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 07:01:57 AM »

LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 07:13:46 AM »

Check out Little Egypt by the Coasters for another point of comparison... I think the whole Stella bit is lifted directly from that.

Also, Runnerz is totally right about the goofy Beach Boys songs. That should be their next comp for fans to complain about.

Watch out for snakes!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 08:36:39 AM »

Check out Little Egypt by the Coasters for another point of comparison... I think the whole Stella bit is lifted directly from that.

I just thought of that song, too.
But it is not "lifted" from that song. It was a typical way for advertising on carnivals. You can get an entertaining look into carnival in Elvis Presley's movie "Roustabout" (he sings Little Egypt in that movie, too). And check out the trailer at 1:25 for somebody shouting in the "See Stella..."-style

The Coaster - Little Egypt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuEcvlnD-PE

Roustabout trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZOoKmv6Mhg

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 08:55:56 AM »

Little Egypt, yes! I had forgotten completely. Humor is an important ingredient in Brian Wilson's work, a real saving grace. Rock n Roll was fun in the early days. Alley Oop. Hully Gully. Papaoomowmow. Later in the 60s Ray Stevens had a string of comic hits - Gitarzan being my fave.

But, thinking a bit more along the line of Psyhedelia - the influence of psycho-active substances is obvious now in the making of Summer Days, and, yes, Today, in a way that it was not at the time. Today, like Rubber Soul being the MJ album, Summer Days continuing that and, like Revolver, stepping up to LSD. I'm especially thinking here of the mellow undulating waves of Side 2 of Today, and from Summer Days, Summer Means New Love and, And Your Dream Comes True. The Psychedelic in these is not expressed in the grotesque disorientation of time and space, but as a deep insight into the great cosmic enveloping love lurking just behind the veil of appearances.
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 08:59:55 AM »

I don't know if this has ever been posted, but seems apropos here:

http://www.goodhumorsmile.com/page205.htm
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 11:04:30 AM »

The first time I heard it I thought that it sounded like Jan and dean, maybe because of how the voices sounded or something or maybe the intro not sure what it was but it had that J&D sound to my ears, not that that's a bad thing.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 11:17:20 AM »

Oh my God, I LOVE this song, and always have since the very first listen. The instrumental track is fantastic - I've always absolutely loved that carnival sound (see Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected theme, The Beatles' For The Benefit of Mr Kite, The Prodigy's Everybody in the Place, etc.). Mike's lyrics and lead vocal are fun. The melody is great. The middle spoken section is hilarious!

I just do not understand Beach Boys fans who don't like this sort of stuff...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 11:30:30 AM »

What a great production! Brian was in a special zone. And, I'll be darn if "Amusement Parks USA" isn't a great car song, too. Let's take your car and mess around at the park all day... Cheesy
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »

Amusement Parks USA is a real favourite of mine too !
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 11:58:01 AM »

Yes, I think all haters of this song should be killed in a horrible roller coaster accident, then have evil gypsies steal the loose change from their corpses.

IMO
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 12:01:17 PM »

I for one am looking forward to hearing the 'early version' on MIC almost as much as anything else that's on the box!
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 01:07:43 PM »

I'm glad to read all these positives concerning APUSA. Still, I'm pretty sure I'd noticed repeated put-downs in the recent past that had me scratching my head. Well, anyway...
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 01:30:47 PM »

I'm glad to read all these positives concerning APUSA. Still, I'm pretty sure I'd noticed repeated put-downs in the recent past that had me scratching my head. Well, anyway...

You had. Guess the people who don't like it chose not to bother commenting. There's a been a fair bit of 'I can't believe Amusement Parks USA of all songs is on MIC when we could've had [insert unreleased gem here]...'

While we're on the subject of under-appreciated Summer Days... tracks... The Girl From New York City is absolutely stupendous! It works like a dream as an opening track, and as for that bass line on the chorus... Love it!
Nicko1234
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 02:04:35 PM »

I haven't seen those comments about Amusement Parks USA being on MiC but as it is an early version I would disagree with them if they are there.

This is an entertaining tune and was a big hit in Japan if memory serves?
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 02:19:47 PM »

#3 in Japan, iirc.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 09:50:57 PM »

I didn't know people criticized this song, I would think it would appeal to those who are more in the PS/SMiLE camp because of the wildness of it.

Anyway, great, great tune and so fun and very trippy. It does have a little J&D sound to it.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2013, 10:17:41 PM »

Yeah I always liked this song too.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx