gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:21:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3 (Potential) Brian Wilson LPs  (Read 31475 times)
El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 24, 2013, 07:32:50 AM »

The thing I find saddest of all is that band issues became so complicated and unpleasant. It's sad that Brian can't just have Mike turn up and do a few vocals on an a few songs, or that Al can't play a show with Mike and Bruce every now and again. I don't know why it's so complicated or difficult for these people to collaborate freely, but it seems to be. Is it Mike only wanting to do things on his terms, or does Brian not bother asking him or make it unnecessarily difficult due to all of the people and things he brings with him? Are Mike and Al so at odds with each other that they'll avoid each other whenever possible? I'm pleased that Brian, Al and David are able to do this together and I wonder whether Bruce would be willing if the politics wasn't such an issue. Bruce seems to be a huge Brian fan and I think he helped Brian out a few times earlier in his solo career. His voice has held out well and he really made a difference to parts of TWGMTR, so it's a shame we won't hear him in the blend again any time soon.

It's a shame that this album won't have all the remaining members in the vocal blend but the only thing they can really offer is their vocals, and Al's involvement should therefore be a huge bonus. Brian is currently so far ahead of the other guys in creative terms that he'd be the significantly dominating force in any collective album. The Beach Boys vocals might improve his work but Brian's music can still be good without them.

As regards Brian's solo career, I think he's really stepped it up for his last three records. Maybe removing the pressure of producing an album full of original material allowed him to focus more on the arrangements and vocals of the songs, but they're much more enduring than Imagination or GIOMH. I enjoy both of those albums in parts, but I probably wouldn't recommend them to people. After GIOMH, I had concerns over Brian's next releases, but I've been pleasantly surprised by everything since That Lucky Old Sun. If we were talking about a follow up to GIOMH now, I'd probably have big doubts over whether a new album will be any good or not. But given that he's released three solid albums in each of the last three years (I'm including the reunion album) I'm really looking forward to what comes next. I still listen to the Gershwin and Disney albums and TWGMTR is still a regular play for me, so I'm quite excited about his next release. If you didn't like his output from the last few years then you'll see it differently, but I'll base my expectations on his last three or four projects rather than on solo stuff from ten years ago or more.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 24, 2013, 07:39:18 AM »

In my opinion, I doubt that Mike Love views Brian's solo albums as acclaimed. Hyped maybe, but not acclaimed.

Then Mike, or those who wish to speak on his behalf, are in denial.  Simple as.  :-)  They've got consistently positive reviews in a way that nothing Beach Boys - related since about 1973 bar "Pacific Ocean Blue" has.

In the end, when the dust settles (literally) on Brian's solo albums, they will have had little or no impact,

More impact than any other new Beach Boys - related release in a quarter of a century, easily.

In Mike's view, and in the view of many other Beach Boys' fans, the main impact was that the solo material would've been better served on a Beach Boys' album.

I think you're speaking for yourself there, while trying to wrap it in the legitimacy of others.

As far as decently-selling solo albums, Jon, I honestly don't know the sales figures. I don't THINK Brian's solo albums sold decently at all, but I guess it depends on what you consider decent.

All we know is, Capitol Records -- a major-league label -- was happy enough with "That Lucky Old Sun" hitting #23 that they've signed for another Brian Wilson solo album of originals -- the first such album he's even tried to offer to any label since then.  Meanwhile, Mike Love's latest solo album is gathering dust in his closet, aside from the one track from it he got put onto the last Beach Boys album.  Basically a mirror image of 1988, there...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:51:01 AM by Jonathan Blum » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 24, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »

And the Gershwin album is really amazing. To say it's Brian by the numbers boggles my mind.

Seconded.  "Brian by numbers" is an attempt to turn "Sounds like Brian Wilson" into an insult.  No real way that works in my book.  :-)

Cheers,
Jon Blum
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 24, 2013, 07:43:16 AM »

The thing I find saddest of all is that band issues became so complicated and unpleasant. It's sad that Brian can't just have Mike turn up and do a few vocals on an a few songs, or that Al can't play a show with Mike and Bruce every now and again. I don't know why it's so complicated or difficult for these people to collaborate freely, but it seems to be. Is it Mike only wanting to do things on his terms, or does Brian not bother asking him or make it unnecessarily difficult due to all of the people and things he brings with him? Are Mike and Al so at odds with each other that they'll avoid each other whenever possible? I'm pleased that Brian, Al and David are able to do this together and I wonder whether Bruce would be willing if the politics wasn't such an issue. Bruce seems to be a huge Brian fan and I think he helped Brian out a few times earlier in his solo career. His voice has held out well and he really made a difference to parts of TWGMTR, so it's a shame we won't hear him in the blend again any time soon.

It's a shame that this album won't have all the remaining members in the vocal blend but the only thing they can really offer is their vocals, and Al's involvement should therefore be a huge bonus. Brian is currently so far ahead of the other guys in creative terms that he'd be the significantly dominating force in any collective album. The Beach Boys vocals might improve his work but Brian's music can still be good without them.

As regards Brian's solo career, I think he's really stepped it up for his last three records. Maybe removing the pressure of producing an album full of original material allowed him to focus more on the arrangements and vocals of the songs, but they're much more enduring than Imagination or GIOMH. I enjoy both of those albums in parts, but I probably wouldn't recommend them to people. After GIOMH, I had concerns over Brian's next releases, but I've been pleasantly surprised by everything since That Lucky Old Sun. If we were talking about a follow up to GIOMH now, I'd probably have big doubts over whether a new album will be any good or not. But given that he's released three solid albums in each of the last three years (I'm including the reunion album) I'm really looking forward to what comes next. I still listen to the Gershwin and Disney albums and TWGMTR is still a regular play for me, so I'm quite excited about his next release. If you didn't like his output from the last few years then you'll see it differently, but I'll base my expectations on his last three or four projects rather than on solo stuff from ten years ago or more.

^ THIS

Without taking this topic more off course than it already is in my opinion in regards to the alleged current discord between members of The Beach Boys, here is my take on what happened:  Mike Love made a business decision albeit one we as the fanbase have yet to get his full reasoning behind not to continue on with the C50 despite the notion that from the outside looking in continuing C50 related activities would seem to have been a no-brainer especially from a business point of view.  Anyhow Mike makes this business decision not to continue on and Brian Wilson or at least those who represent him have seemed to take this extremely personally.  That isn't to say he's exactly crying into his pillow but not a moment has passed since the C50 has ended where Camp Wilson hasn't taken a shot at M&B.  From my vantage point there just seems to be a lot of anger and resentment from that side of the room and again I think we are still missing part of the story.  Some forum members have brought up that the fact that the C50 was halted by Mike Love took the other members of the band by surprise but that theory has been pretty much debunked by just simple research of statements made by the band while the C50 was still going on.  So the notion that the rug was pulled out from under anyone seems to be a bit of a falsehood in enough of itself.

I too find it sad that from all the "circumstantial evidence" there seems to have been some legitimate personal fallout and hard feelings stemming from the fact the C50 didn't continue.  This to me stems far beyond another C50 lineup tour or another Beach Boys album and unfortunately seems to speak again to a group of old friends who rather not be in each others company anymore.  

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 24, 2013, 09:20:06 AM »

And the Gershwin album is really amazing. To say it's Brian by the numbers boggles my mind. Where has Brian ever recorded numbers that sound like the Porgy and Bess suite that kicks off the record? It's lush and dramatic and humorous and, at least to my ears, unlike anything he's done before.

Okay, so he did a couple of shuffle numbers. Which he's done consistently album after album since the 60s, right? Oh wait, he hadn't done one since the 60s. My bad.
I don't like it, give me 1961-74 Brian any day over it. He's good sometimes since then, but if the pre 1975 did not exist I would not take notice of him. Frankly it's cool Brian has hardcore fans, but it's not cool if they don't accept that not everyone is enamored by some of his music mid seventies to present. I respect your taste, but lately this whole board seems based on shouting people down. It's becoming a bully pulpit for Brian fanatics.

Who's shouting?  You're allowed to have your pessimistic, don't like anything attitude and we're allowed to have our optimistic, I like it attitude.  We just happen to be very vocal about things like happiness, goodness, wholesome family values, the sun, the beach, beautiful women, nice cars, brotherly love, harmony, great music and Love.... and you're very vocal about autotune.  

A masterclass in the dismissive post. Shame it's total bollocks  LOL

There is no argument. There are no sides. There's just a small group of people, of which you are a big part, who seem hell bent on regulating what other people post. And using words like goodness and wholesome to describe your side of the "arguement" is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on here.

Seriously, if you weighed in on my side of a debate using tactics like that I'd be embarrassed and defect to the other side.

Yeah, Ron's really good at dismissing other people's opinions and trying to make them look like they are unreasonable, all while acting like he's got at all figured out. Gag me.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #155 on: June 24, 2013, 09:57:40 AM »

Please, don't hold back.  Smiley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2013, 10:25:14 AM »

In Mike's view, and in the view of many other Beach Boys' fans, the main impact was that the solo material would've been better served on a Beach Boys' album.

I think you're speaking for yourself there, while trying to wrap it in the legitimacy of others.

No, I'm speaking for the majority of Beach Boys' fans, as I see it. Frankly, I don't understand how you can't see it. If you surveyed every Beach Boys' fan that attended a C50 concert, and asked them the following question -  Brian Wilson has written some new songs, and there is going to be a new 2013 studio album. Would you prefer the songs to be used for a Brian Wilson solo album, or would you prefer the songs to be used for a new Beach Boys' album - what do you think the results of that survey would be? I am saying that most Beach Boys' fans would prefer the songs to be used for a new Beach Boys' album. You don't agree. Respectfully, I think you're wrong.

davywheatdyke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2013, 10:47:16 AM »

After reading through a few more comments I realized I must have strayed into Bizzaro World again... in Bizarro world, Brian Wilson hasn't made a good song in 30 years, in Bizarro world, Brian's only value is if he writes a song that has 'beach boys' on it even though half of them are dead.

In the world I'm usually in, Brian Wilson is considered a genius and has been pretty consistantly writing great songs, touring the world, and enjoying critical success for the last 10 years.  

I want to come to your world! It sounds much better than the one I am in  Grin
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 24, 2013, 10:50:32 AM »

One aspect of all this which I find "interesting" and would like to have factual (not suppositions etc.) info about goes back to a comment made someplace during the C50 tour by ML that he'd like to return to the studio with BW to do more new stuff but without "others" around. Who's he referring to (JT, MW, other 3rd parties)? What are the issues (creative control; style; direction; etc.)?
Some here might say that's a good thing because ML's involvement would "water down" BW's material (ie. more fun & sun stuff, less "Summer's Gone") but others might say it would result in material closer to "typical BB" stuff. Another point of view could be that there'd b a good mixture sort of like the Today and Summer Days/Nights output.
As part of trying to figure out where the interpersonal relationships of the member is at the moment, it would be interesting to know the reasons to his reluctance - if asked - to collaborate given certain presences. And, perhaps to speculate what might result if they did eventually collaborate with minimal 3rd party presences.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: June 24, 2013, 11:00:46 AM »

I'm just happy to have new music from Brian...I don't care if it is as a Beach Boy, solo, or a member of One Direction.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2013, 11:31:05 AM »

I harbor no grudges against anyone personally on this board, and indeed I respect everyone here. There are a few people whose behavior I don't care for, but even those folks have good points at times.

I do not, however, believe than a post -- or any other statement of belief or opinion -- is the same as a person. Even the most respected individual is capable of believing dumb or mistaken things. And that goes for me as much as it does for anyone else. So I have tried very hard over the past couple of years, especially when passions run high, to distinguish between addressing people and addressing the things they say. I don't always hit the mark on that, but I do try.

And I continue to post, and continue to write the way I do because I feel that ideas and opinions and facts are important. Arguing passionately is not bullying or trying to shut people down. Using powerful rhetoric is not using some sort of dirty trick. It's the very essence of the back-and-forth that message boards are meant to encourage.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2013, 11:59:49 AM »

Arguing passionately is not bullying or trying to shut people down..

But using dismissive language and essentially telling people their subjective views are wrong, unwelcome and unwholesome is

And I don't mean you by that Wirestone. You've had your moments, as have I, but you're always open to make amends if you've erred

I do not, however, believe than a post -- or any other statement of belief or opinion -- is the same as a person.

On here, all we are to others is our names, avators, and most importantly our words

I like to think I'm seen as a fair, tolerant person, rather self effacing, who makes some funny jokes.

(But in reality, I suspect I come across as  annoyingly pompous and sanctimonious, or, if none of those things, rather inconsequential  LOL)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:06:43 PM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: June 24, 2013, 12:07:21 PM »

(But in reality, I suspect I come across as  annoyingly pompous and sanctimonious, or, if none of those things, rather inconsequential  LOL)

Nah...I don't often agree with you, but it's more of a difference of opinion rather than anything else.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #163 on: June 24, 2013, 12:09:42 PM »

Awww, I always agree with you  Sad
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: June 24, 2013, 12:13:38 PM »

^ Epic Paradox

Seriously, though, sometimes I disagree with you (especially concerning TWGMTR) but it's more a friendly debate type deal rather than anything else. That's what makes this board fun, as long as people are debating in an adult manner rather than piss and moan like children.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #165 on: June 24, 2013, 12:20:02 PM »

^ Epic Paradox

Seriously, though, sometimes I disagree with you (especially concerning TWGMTR) but it's more a friendly debate type deal rather than anything else. That's what makes this board fun, as long as people are debating in an adult manner rather than piss and moan like children.

It is yes. Friendly. Absolutely.  And there's nothing wrong with stuff getting heated sometimes, as Wirey said.  But the dismissiveness and utter lack of empathy.....nah, can't be doing with it.  

By the way, liking the vomity new avator!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:20:58 PM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: June 24, 2013, 12:28:24 PM »

LOL  I messed up though...it was supposed to be animated. It's actually a waterslide, and kids were going down it.

But the dismissiveness and utter lack of empathy.....nah, can't be doing with it. 

Oh yeah. One thing that gets me is that people forget that with a band that's been around for 50+ years...not everybody is going to like the entire catalogue. They're closer to someone like Fleetwood Mac than a band like the Stones.

Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 24, 2013, 05:47:36 PM »

No, I'm speaking for the majority of Beach Boys' fans, as I see it.

And my point remains, you've just made that up.

Frankly, I don't understand how you can't see it. If you surveyed every Beach Boys' fan that attended a C50 concert, and asked them the following question -  Brian Wilson has written some new songs, and there is going to be a new 2013 studio album. Would you prefer the songs to be used for a Brian Wilson solo album, or would you prefer the songs to be used for a new Beach Boys' album -

...then the answers would represent the fact that easily two thirds of the people at the concerts didn't even buy "Radio" and have no real interest in the matter of new material either way.  And such a question would still have no bearing whatsoever on your previous claims about "told you so" or "disappointing" or "gathering dust" or etc etc etc.

Preferring a Beach Boys album does not equal treating a Brian Wilson album as marginal or forgettable.  *I'd* prefer to get another album from the boys...  but possibly not if it meant that experimental tracks with Al Jardine and Jeff Beck would never see the light of day.

Regards,
Jon Blum
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 05:51:12 PM by Jonathan Blum » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 24, 2013, 07:00:52 PM »

No, I'm speaking for the majority of Beach Boys' fans, as I see it.

And my point remains, you've just made that up.

Frankly, I don't understand how you can't see it. If you surveyed every Beach Boys' fan that attended a C50 concert, and asked them the following question -  Brian Wilson has written some new songs, and there is going to be a new 2013 studio album. Would you prefer the songs to be used for a Brian Wilson solo album, or would you prefer the songs to be used for a new Beach Boys' album -

...then the answers would represent the fact that easily two thirds of the people at the concerts didn't even buy "Radio" and have no real interest in the matter of new material either way.  And such a question would still have no bearing whatsoever on your previous claims about "told you so" or "disappointing" or "gathering dust" or etc etc etc.

Preferring a Beach Boys album does not equal treating a Brian Wilson album as marginal or forgettable.  *I'd* prefer to get another album from the boys...  but possibly not if it meant that experimental tracks with Al Jardine and Jeff Beck would never see the light of day.

Regards,
Jon Blum

Your point remains that I made something up? Well, um, yes, you would be correct. It's called an opinion. We all have them. I expressed mine.

Just because two thirds of the people at a Beach Boys concert didn't purchase TWGMTR, doesn't mean they aren't entitled to an opinion, or aren't qualified to make one, or wouldn't be qualified to answer a simple question on a survey. There are several million Beach Boys' fans who didn't purchase TWGMTR, and they are perfectly qualified to opine whether they prefer a solo album or a Beach Boys' album. Actually, by their past actions (or lack of), they already have spoken.

You wrote, "Preferring a Beach Boys album does not equal treating a Brian Wilson album as marginal or forgettable." I never said it did. You used the terms "marginal and forgettable". I used the term "disappointing". And, I presented other reasons why I found Brian Wilson's solo career to be overall disappointing. I pointed out the lack of a hit single, the disappointing album sales, after the initial release the lack of solo material performed live, the decreasing concert ticket sales, and the going from record company to record company.

My basic point is that the majority of Beach Boys' fans would prefer Brian's new material to be used for a Beach Boys' album as opposed to a Brian Wilson solo album. That's what I think; that's how I feel. I think that says a lot - not everything, but a lot - about the impact of Brian's solo career. You obviously disagree. I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with you.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:08:46 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2013, 07:11:32 PM »

You're not just saying it's your opinion, tho. You're citing imaginary surveys of hypothetical audiences to bolster your argument with the agreement of thousands of people who have no idea what you're opining about. It's all well and good to state your opinion, but without any actual data to back it up, it might rub people the wrong way when you seem to be claiming almost everybody else agrees with you.

Time to bust out those Audience Appreciation Index reports. Start calling everybody just as they sit down for dinner and ask them what they think about Brian's new album plans.

All this stuff is gravy anyway. BW entered showbiz heaven decades ago and these are just victory laps, therapy, and more music for those who like it. Sounds like it might be some interesting stuff, so i'm in!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 24, 2013, 07:27:42 PM »

You're not just saying it's your opinion, tho. You're citing imaginary surveys of hypothetical audiences to bolster your argument with the agreement of thousands of people who have no idea what you're opining about. It's all well and good to state your opinion, but without any actual data to back it up, it might rub people the wrong way when you seem to be claiming almost everybody else agrees with you.

Time to bust out those Audience Appreciation Index reports. Start calling everybody just as they sit down for dinner and ask them what they think about Brian's new album plans.

All this stuff is gravy anyway. BW entered showbiz heaven decades ago and these are just victory laps, therapy, and more music for those who like it. Sounds like it might be some interesting stuff, so i'm in!

First, I'm only using an imaginary survey to make a point. It's just a way of counting or measuring the opinions if you will. I did not state as fact how the results of a survey would come out. I stated how I THINK they would turn out. I thought that was understood. The imaginary survey was only one way I was making my point. I did list other criteria to "bolster the argument". I didn't really claim that "almost everybody agrees" with me, just the MAJORITY of Beach Boys' fans. But, I do agree with you that it "might rub people the wrong way". Seriously, I will try to work on that. I have to improve the way I express myself. Do you think it also has to do with being critical of Brian Wilson? police
MBE
« Reply #171 on: June 24, 2013, 07:49:27 PM »

For the most part, the backing tracks on the Gershwin album sound really bland to these ears. The singing I guess is OK but still nothing to write home about really, just "surprisingly good" and consistent in the sense that we know it could've been much worse. The promo shots of the man looked really forced and I felt a little uncomfortable with the whole Disney project so that, just like sweetdudejim, I didn't even bother to buy the second album they put out.
You sum it up perfectly. I yawn when seeing these Brian whiners twist my words. Did you hear the two I mentioned? Did you really think Brian's 1964 production wasn't in another galaxy altogether? It sounds like Brian, but it isn't anything that measures up to his work through 1974, and intermittently afterwards. I did buy the Disney and found it contrived, and too jazzy, No vinyl was a bummer too! I don't at all concede because I gave a very fair and even summation of Brian Wilson the solo artist. Some is good-some isn't. I'm proud of his survival as much as anyone else, but either something is good or it isn't. I divorce it from the story purely as music.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:53:33 PM by Mike Eder » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 24, 2013, 08:06:40 PM »

Your point remains that I made something up? Well, um, yes, you would be correct. It's called an opinion.

...And the bit that you've made up is that the clear majority of fans, and Mike Love too, would agree with your own opinion.  Not just about a Beach Boys album being preferable to a Brian Wilson album, but about Brian Wilson's albums being disappointing and so forth.

When all the evidence we have is of a general lack of disappointment with Brian's solo work in recent years.  (Even among the sorts of fans who've been vocally disappointed in practically every album the Beach Boys have put out in the past 35 years or so.)

Just because two thirds of the people at a Beach Boys concert didn't purchase TWGMTR, doesn't mean they aren't entitled to an opinion, or aren't qualified to make one,

Of course it doesn't.  Point is, they're not holding your opinion.  Disinterest does not equal disappointment or disdain.

You wrote, "Preferring a Beach Boys album does not equal treating a Brian Wilson album as marginal or forgettable." I never said it did. You used the terms "marginal and forgettable".

You talked about "lack of impact" and being "quick to fade".  I think my point stands.  I also think that you'll find that in the big picture, opinions on "Lucky Old Sun", Gershwin, etc haven't shifted very much over the years -- the people who loved them still enjoy them, the people who bitched about brickwalling or it-sounds-too-much-like-Brian-Wilsony-stuff still aren't keen.  People still feel basically the same way, even if they don't think about the album as much because new releases are taking more attention.  That's partly my opinion, partly the observation of how people actually vote in polls on sites like this.

My basic point is that the majority of Beach Boys' fans would prefer Brian's new material to be used for a Beach Boys' album as opposed to a Brian Wilson solo album. That's what I think; that's how I feel. I think that says a lot - not everything, but a lot - about the impact of Brian's solo career. You obviously disagree. I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with you.

You're entirely entitled to your own opinion.  You're just not entitled to declare that most people share it, when there's no sign of that.

And again:  I'd prefer another Beach Boys album.  Doesn't mean I'm disappointed by what we're getting instead.  A re-energized Brian, writing even more songs than on his last big creative roll around 2006, which brought us a great solo album?  Not really seeing a downside there...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:17:08 PM by Jonathan Blum » Logged
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2013, 09:14:10 AM »

I want to be excited, I really do. Maybe this time he'll be a bit more transparent on the pitch correction. I'm sure he's a lovely guy. Please Joe, don't screw this one up!

Its the 21st century. Why cant we have a pitch corrected version and a regular version?

Its what the fans demand!!!  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2013, 09:20:38 AM »

Your point remains that I made something up? Well, um, yes, you would be correct. It's called an opinion.

...And the bit that you've made up is that the clear majority of fans, and Mike Love too, would agree with your own opinion.  Not just about a Beach Boys album being preferable to a Brian Wilson album, but about Brian Wilson's albums being disappointing and so forth.

When all the evidence we have is of a general lack of disappointment with Brian's solo work in recent years.  (Even among the sorts of fans who've been vocally disappointed in practically every album the Beach Boys have put out in the past 35 years or so.)

Just because two thirds of the people at a Beach Boys concert didn't purchase TWGMTR, doesn't mean they aren't entitled to an opinion, or aren't qualified to make one,

Of course it doesn't.  Point is, they're not holding your opinion.  Disinterest does not equal disappointment or disdain.

You wrote, "Preferring a Beach Boys album does not equal treating a Brian Wilson album as marginal or forgettable." I never said it did. You used the terms "marginal and forgettable".

You talked about "lack of impact" and being "quick to fade".  I think my point stands.  I also think that you'll find that in the big picture, opinions on "Lucky Old Sun", Gershwin, etc haven't shifted very much over the years -- the people who loved them still enjoy them, the people who bitched about brickwalling or it-sounds-too-much-like-Brian-Wilsony-stuff still aren't keen.  People still feel basically the same way, even if they don't think about the album as much because new releases are taking more attention.  That's partly my opinion, partly the observation of how people actually vote in polls on sites like this.

You're entirely entitled to your own opinion.  You're just not entitled to declare that most people share it, when there's no sign of that.

And again:  I'd prefer another Beach Boys album.  Doesn't mean I'm disappointed by what we're getting instead.  A re-energized Brian, writing even more songs than on his last big creative roll around 2006, which brought us a great solo album?  Not really seeing a downside there...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

He's entitled to his opinion but in this case I think his analysis of the situation regarding what the general public would be more interested in a new Beach Boys album versus a new Brian Wilson album might be factually correct.  Without proper polling procedures we are obviously never going to have anything close to a definitive answer on that one but his point is more than fair from where I'm standing.  Something worth noting at this juncture is it seems whenever the name "Brian Wilson" is brought up in a national article or press release or what have you there always seems to be someone who comes forward with legitimate surprise as to the fact that Brian Wilson is still alive.  He just doesn't have as much of a high profile as the name of the brand comparatively speaking so if I were to handicap this one I'd probably say it would fall more on the side of how SJS sees it. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx