gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680871 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:21:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3 (Potential) Brian Wilson LPs  (Read 31684 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2013, 11:29:56 PM »

The key word is indeed potential. I have painstakingly calculated that these shows have an 85% chance of being potentially fantastic and the spurt of recording Brian is on to have a 67% chance of making it to our ears in some form over the next few years leading to potentially a 100% chance of 47% of us whining about aspects of it and 34% of us highlighting tracks in distinctive colors and making grand playlists of Proposed Infinitely Superior Selections (PISS)...

all in all, more fun stuff to chew on! So, who's for cake?

I'd also like to state, for the record -- that no, "Don't Fight the Sea" doesn't segue naturally from "Metropolis."

Mike is gonna have to step up his game 2004-5 style, pull out his bullhorn and start singing "Student Demonstration Time" at the UK gigs to maintain tactical advantage. You know you want it. You can make the siren noises while you calculate the deep cut percentages.

Also, somebody call the Van Dyke Parks hotline for some string arrangements and appearances on the instrumental album. Warm up the accordion, kid! It's time to put on a show!

Fig. 35453. Satisfied Consumers of Wilson(TM) Brand Audio Products
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:54:01 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2013, 11:59:55 PM »

I believe the key word in the thread title is "potential".

So we'd better change the thread title, then!  Because one of the albums isn't "potential", it's signed-for-and-announced-by-Capitol.  The possibility of one or two more beyond that is a cherry or two on top!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2013, 12:03:49 AM »

Great point! The marshmallow sauce is Alan Jardine, the caramel is David Marks, Jeff Beck is the waffle cone shell, the sticky sugary mess is uh, Joe Thomas. f***, I metaphored myself into a corner.

MORE BRIAN WILSON THAN EVER IN 2013! Oops, wrong obsessive fan forum.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:15:30 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2013, 12:42:12 AM »

Great point! The marshmallow sauce is Alan Jardine, the caramel is David Marks, Jeff Beck is the waffle cone shell, the sticky sugary mess is uh, Joe Thomas. f***, I metaphored myself into a corner.

I heard they found three tons of Smile tapes in Africa...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2013, 12:44:10 AM »

FANTASY MIKE LOVE: "Growing up in Southern California, we knew the sun itself gave off a powerful energy that often expressed itself in music. Like when I wrote the hook to Good Vibrations. I'm very glad that Cousin Brian has similarly rediscovered the California sun and is back in the studio recording music and hope he's having as much fun, fun, fun as we do on the road touring with The Beach Boys which is fully licensed and makes Cousin Brian money while he sits around at home or in this case recording for a major label with everybody else alive from the band who isn't South African or Bruce Johnston or both. Some people come up to me and say, Fantasy Mike Love, have you read the latest jumping jack news flash in Rolling Stone about Cousin Brian? Isn't it a damn shame? To those people I say: of course not. We reached the agreed upon end date and Christian Love sounds like Carl Wilson. We tried to get him to put on the beard but he said it was itchy. I'd love to write with Cousin Brian again but only if we could do it alone, in a room, stripped to the waist at Sea World. Maybe with an isolation tank.

Victims of violence and war often suffer unimaginable trauma for years, unable to find a remedy for their anguish. Like when I had to sing on Cabinessence. These experiences leave an indelible impression in the brain and lead to persistent flashbacks, inability to relate to others, constant fear, hyper-alertness, and frequent outbursts of anger. Those suffering from PTSD need a procedure that reverses this neurophysiological condition.

Transcendental Meditation (TM) is a simple, natural, effortless technique, easily learned by anyone—regardless of age, educational background, or walk of life. TM produces a unique and profound state of rest and relaxation, which eliminates stress and restores healthy, coherent brain functioning. The technique does not involve any religion, philosophy, or change in lifestyle. You may not be named Rhonda, but it sure can help you. So don't back down, find out more about TM from your local TM instructor... until then, I'm going to the beach... surf's up!"

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:54:44 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2013, 01:06:43 AM »

Including ten hours of Evil of the Brianistas?  Could it be true?

“We live in divisive times.”
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2013, 01:07:13 AM »

I think the wires were crossed on that rumor, it's actually a project to do a stop-motion animated reconstruction of a Lei'd In Hawaii TV special using Matt Jardine in a wig. Holding very still presumably. Then moving a little bit. Then holding very still. I'm told the effect is lifelike. Of course, I can see why they passed on Ian Levine's version of Adult Child in favor of these animated projects.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 01:15:19 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2013, 01:32:17 AM »

I'm kind of surprised that Brian is signed to Capitol. Other than TLOS, I thought it would be a one shot deal. I really didn't think Capitol would be interested after last years reunion came to an end.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2013, 01:42:42 AM »

I think the wires were crossed on that rumor, it's actually a project to do a stop-motion animated reconstruction of a Lei'd In Hawaii TV special using Matt Jardine in a wig. Holding very still presumably. Then moving a little bit. Then holding very still. I'm told the effect is lifelike. Of course, I can see why they passed on Ian Levine's version of Adult Child in favor of these animated projects.

After Ian Levine's production on Beach Boys '85?  No way in the world...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
(now you've got me picturing the "K9 And Company" theme as a bonus track on BB85, thanks for that)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2013, 01:47:17 AM »

Male ego won't ever quit
 It seems to me from where I sit...
 KAAAAAAAAY-NINE!

We oughta do our bit
 to capture it tonight...
KAAAAAAAAAAY-NINE!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 01:48:08 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2013, 01:50:20 AM »

Eigh-teen months is too long to wait!
Bring back the Beach Boys, don't hesitate!

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2013, 02:07:03 AM »

Eigh-teen months is too long to wait!
Bring back the Beach Boys, don't hesitate!

Eigh-teen months is too long to wait now!
Bring back the Beach Boys, don't hesitate now!

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2013, 02:16:44 AM »

...to the tune of "Rock & Roll To The Rescue".  (With "K------9!  K------9!" backing vocs.)

HELLLLLLP MEEEEEEEE,
Jon Blum
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2013, 02:19:17 AM »

Looking Back with Love In Distress
Keepin' the Autons Alive
Zygons in Paradise
All Time War Long
The Creature from M.I.U.
Davros Sounds
The Abominable Sunflower
Carl and the Silurians
The Greatest Summer in The Galaxy
L.A. and the Rani
The Dalek Invasion of Christmas Album
That's Why Weng-Chiang Stereotyped The Radio
The Curse of Cruisin'
Endless Armageddon

In fact, the possibilities are endless.

Actually, they just ended. I'll shaddup now. Back to potential.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:21:04 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2013, 02:24:57 AM »

...you missed "Help Me Romana".

Bar bar bar, bar Barbara Wright,
Jon Blum
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2013, 03:02:25 AM »

An Unearthly Smile
The Carl Licks
Beach Of Destruction
Dave Markso Polo
The Keys Of Murryness
I could go on, but I won't...

Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2013, 03:03:07 AM »

And indeed, the groundbreaking 1966 king of 'em all:

Ood Vibrations

MattB
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2013, 03:15:34 AM »

I've long thought that the Beach Boys should do a commemorative single dedicated to the considerable charms of the actor that played the fourth Doctor Who, anyway (Hey, if the Human League can do it... right?). Track listing:

(...wait for it...)

A: Hey Little Tomboy
B: The Baker Man

"Now let's shave your scarf, for the very first time..."

AK!

[reaches for mind bleach]
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2013, 03:23:33 AM »

My last word on the matter: Carl Wilson's fabulously sung paen to those amazing fungal bit-players in 1965's The Chase:

Time To Get A (Gubbage) Cone

OK, Smiley Smilers. We apologise for the interruption, and now return you to your usual programme.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:30:10 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2013, 06:36:35 AM »

Too bad the anniversary tour stuff had to be brought up yet again. If I never see the phrase “set end date” again…..   LOL

I would only add that to suggest that much of anything in the world of the BB’s didn't or doesn't involve politics is kind of funny. The brand of cheese they picked for the deli trays backstage on the reunion tour probably involved group politics. More reunion offers being turned down? Politics. John Stamos appearing (or not appearing) with the group? Politics. Brian touring with David and Al? Politics. Diet Coke instead of Diet Pepsi in the dressing rooms? Politics.

Back to Brian’s new recordings, I don’t know what will actually make it out, but it sounds promising. I’m pleasantly surprised by the descriptions that seem to indicate Brian may be giving Al a larger vocal role on the album than I would have thought for Al appearing on a “Brian Wilson” album. Sounds like we may even get some Al lead vocals. Never would I have imagined that in 2013 we’d have a Brian Wilson track with Al singing backing vocals over Jeff Beck’s guitar playing. Could be totally weird, or mind-blowing.

As anyone who has read my posts about the reunion will know, I was and still am extremely bummed that it ended (for now anyway). But I have to admit that while these future Brian Wilson solo tracks could sound like anything, it sounds like it has the potential to be more interesting than a “Beach Boys” project (especially one under the “I want to be locked away from everybody else with Brian in a room to write”) might be. Then again, the vocal intro to “Pacific Coast Highway” always reminds me why these guys should all  be singing together.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2013, 08:28:59 AM »

Cautious optimism! Oh, actual optimism. Unironic. With all the pettiness and grousing going on lately, how refreshing to see a little piece about how productive the big fella is with the same old faintly adorable compulsive habits... with The New Best Friend, that doesn't require a letter to the LA Times back or something. Bring on the waves of Foskett! Fire up the freakin' tack piano.

Hopefully more details, a title or something by fall. Attention fella who posted that long Joe Thomas interview on his blog... now would be a good time to wave a microphone around! Give Probyn the good cop/bad cop treatment until he sings like a canary.

Then we can sniff imperiously and say, "instead of maaaaaking three albums, he should've just made one decent one. Hmpffff." and seven thousand variations thereof.

It is taking a massive, massive effort of willpower not to make Baker "Ahhhhhhhhhh" noises here.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 08:43:15 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2013, 08:55:54 AM »

Too bad the anniversary tour stuff had to be brought up yet again. If I never see the phrase “set end date” again…..   LOL

I would only add that to suggest that much of anything in the world of the BB’s didn't or doesn't involve politics is kind of funny. The brand of cheese they picked for the deli trays backstage on the reunion tour probably involved group politics. More reunion offers being turned down? Politics. John Stamos appearing (or not appearing) with the group? Politics. Brian touring with David and Al? Politics. Diet Coke instead of Diet Pepsi in the dressing rooms? Politics.

Back to Brian’s new recordings, I don’t know what will actually make it out, but it sounds promising. I’m pleasantly surprised by the descriptions that seem to indicate Brian may be giving Al a larger vocal role on the album than I would have thought for Al appearing on a “Brian Wilson” album. Sounds like we may even get some Al lead vocals. Never would I have imagined that in 2013 we’d have a Brian Wilson track with Al singing backing vocals over Jeff Beck’s guitar playing. Could be totally weird, or mind-blowing.

As anyone who has read my posts about the reunion will know, I was and still am extremely bummed that it ended (for now anyway). But I have to admit that while these future Brian Wilson solo tracks could sound like anything, it sounds like it has the potential to be more interesting than a “Beach Boys” project (especially one under the “I want to be locked away from everybody else with Brian in a room to write”) might be. Then again, the vocal intro to “Pacific Coast Highway” always reminds me why these guys should all  be singing together.

good post Hey Jude. +1

I'll probably not buy the BW album(s) out of a whiny protest, but then circle back a couple years later and really get into it (them). JUST bringing myself now to listedn to TLOS, and of course I'm digging it.

I have an unbreakable sentimental attachment to the Beach Boys, what can I say?
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2013, 09:01:22 AM »

It is taking a massive, massive effort of willpower not to make Baker "Ahhhhhhhhhh" noises here.

...or indeed both-hands-in-pockets, eyes-raised-to-the-ceiling, Davison-style 'INteresting!' noises. Are you another fellow fugitive from the rumour wars racking GallifreyBase, ontor?

OK, OK, I hear the rest o'ya, enough with all the Doctor Who references already...!

(Mind you, we're getting a 50th anniversary set from the Boys this year... and who else is 50 this year...?)

I can't stand widdly widdly guitar heroics myself, so I'm a little cooler on the Jeff Beck news than some people here. But whatever - if this collaboration lights Brian's creative fire, as it seems to be... the results can't fail to be interesting, at least in part. I see it as win/win - I like TWGMTR, but I'm not irretrievably wedded to the Beach Boys like some here. I like Brian's stuff whether he puts it out with the Wilsonmints or the Boys.

And the more material that results, be it one album or three, the greater the chances that at least some of it will be my cup of oolong... or wheatgrass/cayenne shake, or whatever.

In short: Bring. It. On!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 09:04:49 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2013, 09:56:57 AM »

Question--does  Al Jardine get more lead vocals on  Brian Wilson's next  solo album than he did on the last Beach Boys album?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:01:57 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2013, 10:13:57 AM »

Question--does  Al Jardine gets more lead vocals on  Brian Wilson's next  solo album than he did on the last Beach Boys album?

Can't say for sure yet but it's looking like it

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx