gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:22:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348315 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1525 on: July 12, 2020, 11:28:41 AM »

I wish they they’d used the track from the previous year for Shortenin Bread as that had more punch (and Brian would’ve had vocals on the album) . That and going south are the two real clunkers

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: July 12, 2020, 11:35:07 AM »

I wish they they’d used the track from the previous year for Shortenin Bread as that had more punch (and Brian would’ve had vocals on the album) . That and going south are the two real clunkers
I love Going South
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: July 12, 2020, 01:49:10 PM »

LA is a better album than LY.
It’s got Good Timin, Which should’ve been a much bigger hit, Lady Lynda, the best song that Al ever wrote for the group, 3 nice Carl Ballads, a slightly over long disco track, some amazing Dennis stuff, and Brian being goofy Brian.
Another unpopular opinion? People only hate on Sumahama because Mike wrote it. If this was a BW composition, people would be tripping over themselves to rave about how great it is. For the record, in my opinion, I don’t think it’s the best moment on the album, but it’s not as bad as some people say it is.

Amen! It's true that it is a very, very mellow album, but IMO that's not a bad thing. Does that make it the definitive yacht rock album?

I like Light Album. I just wish Here Comes The Night was left off or placed at the end of the album. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

I feel like The Beach Boys put very little thought into tracklist order. How does the tracklist of LA make any sense?
In a way, I agree with you, but in another way, I disagree with you.
The first six tracks are all very quiet and mellow and easy to relax to. Then comes in here comes the night, which is just a blast of energy throughout the whole thing, that lasts an entire 10:51. By the end of here comes the night, you’re completely just tired out, so here comes Baby Blue and Going South to bring us back down. Then, just as you think it’s ending, Bread gives you a nice jult to end the project.
But, yes, I agree that the sequencing is very strange. personally, I would’ve sequenced it more like this:
Side A is the same. Then we have the single mix of HCTN, then It’s Not Too Late from Dennis and Carl, then Baby Blue and Going South. Then after three slow tracks in a row, we end the project with It’s a Beautiful day and California feelin.

That would make it a 5 star album for me.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: July 12, 2020, 11:19:10 PM »

Light Album is a nice listen but other than Good Timin' (and maybe Baby Blue) I don't hear any music on it that matches any of their classic work up to Love You.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: July 15, 2020, 08:34:40 PM »

Some of Mikes best vocals are on Hushabye.
Some of his worst are on Santa Claus is comin’ to town.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: July 15, 2020, 08:34:50 PM »

I hope many of you got to see Brian, Al, and Blondie share lead vocals on Sail Away on the NPP tour. Similar magic.
That was fun, wasn't it? I quite like that song, and don't often see it mentioned here.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1531 on: July 15, 2020, 10:45:08 PM »

That was one of the (many) highlights for me on that tour

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: July 16, 2020, 04:50:34 AM »

My unpopular Beach Boys opinion is that MIU is the single best post Holland album.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: July 16, 2020, 04:51:55 AM »

My unpopular Beach Boys opinion is that MIU is their single best post Holland album.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: July 18, 2020, 05:17:43 AM »

I’m pretty sure I like Brian’s 2009 remake of ‘God Only Knows’ better than the Pet Sounds version, probably my favorite falsetto Jeff Foskett has done.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: July 19, 2020, 02:23:17 PM »

I hope many of you got to see Brian, Al, and Blondie share lead vocals on Sail Away on the NPP tour. Similar magic.
That was fun, wasn't it? I quite like that song, and don't often see it mentioned here.

Wow, i didn't know they ever did any Orange Crate Art material live. Maybe when things get back to normal - if they ever do - they can do San Francisco, Movies is Magic and Summer in Monterey, too.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1536 on: July 19, 2020, 03:05:24 PM »

Not the OCA song.... the one from NPP

https://youtu.be/vUSHyKhpSis

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: July 20, 2020, 04:57:08 AM »

That was my father's favorite song from that tour/concert. I'm glad I got to see it in person. The album version is such a gem, too - the instrumental alone is so layered and complex (I think Guitarfool wrote an awesome in-depth post about the guitar playing in that song - there's a lot going on with it that isn't completely obvious to the casual listener). Also, Brian's vocals sound fantastic in that song, as do Al's (as always).

I'm glad other people like this song too.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: July 20, 2020, 06:41:06 AM »

That was my father's favorite song from that tour/concert. I'm glad I got to see it in person. The album version is such a gem, too - the instrumental alone is so layered and complex (I think Guitarfool wrote an awesome in-depth post about the guitar playing in that song - there's a lot going on with it that isn't completely obvious to the casual listener). Also, Brian's vocals sound fantastic in that song, as do Al's (as always).

It was kinda funny live too because the three singers didn't always seem sure who was taking which verses, and their vocals would overlap and bump into each other in a playful, ramshackle way. It felt like they found it funny too!

Would enjoy seeing that Guitarfool post if perchance you can dig it up.

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: July 20, 2020, 06:42:37 AM »

And yeah, the album vocals sound just great. Brian very heartfelt and poignant on the 'For a while, I almost gave up dreaming' verse.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: July 20, 2020, 07:03:23 AM »

I think I remember that happening (the verse mix ups) LOL all great fun.

I will search more later, but I couldn't find that write-up Guitarfool made about the Sail Away guitars (unless I'm misremembering). However I did stumble upon his old in-depth look at NPP and it is well worth the read:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20292.0.html

As someone else did in that thread, I may just print that out tonight and read it as I listen to the album. Lots of great information and thoughts regarding NPP.

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: July 20, 2020, 10:52:04 AM »

Oh yep, this is a great review. Thank you!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: July 22, 2020, 01:48:31 PM »

Not the OCA song.... the one from NPP

https://youtu.be/vUSHyKhpSis
Oops...thank you. I went through a phase of listening to OCA every day a couple years ago. Been much longer since i've listened to NPP.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1543 on: July 22, 2020, 02:03:13 PM »

No worries ...for some reason I thought they had different titles as I hadn’t listened to OCA in about a year so we both were mistaken LOL

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: July 22, 2020, 02:06:13 PM »

When the 'Sail Away' title for NPP was first announced I remember wondering if it was any relation to the OCA version. While I like the OCA version, I was happy to hear that the NPP was an original tune.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1545 on: July 22, 2020, 04:07:31 PM »

It was kinda funny live too because the three singers didn't always seem sure who was taking which verses, and their vocals would overlap and bump into each other in a playful, ramshackle way. It felt like they found it funny too!

Would enjoy seeing that Guitarfool post if perchance you can dig it up.

I think I remember that happening (the verse mix ups) LOL all great fun.

I will search more later, but I couldn't find that write-up Guitarfool made about the Sail Away guitars (unless I'm misremembering). However I did stumble upon his old in-depth look at NPP and it is well worth the read:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20292.0.html

As someone else did in that thread, I may just print that out tonight and read it as I listen to the album. Lots of great information and thoughts regarding NPP.

Oh yep, this is a great review. Thank you!

I just wanted to thank both of you for the very kind words about that review, it really means a lot to me! I still feel very passionate about the NPP album overall, and I still hold the same opinions as I wrote back in 2015, with the exception of maybe one or two tracks that have not aged as well as their counterparts on the album over these 5 years. I think the album sounds amazing from a pure sonic angle, and the way the backing tracks are tightly arranged to allow some intricate layered parts to bust out of the mix really enhances the high sound quality of both the recording and mix.

I seriously hope anyone reading this decides to go back and take a listen to NPP in the near future, and try to put aside all of the bullshit and juvenile shenanigans that happened after its release to simply enjoy a great album from Brian Wilson. As happy as I am about enjoying the album and seeing it being discussed along with things I wrote 5 years ago, part of me is a little sad that liking NPP might fall into the "unpopular opinions" category for perhaps too many fans that may not have revisited it free of the nonsense and sometimes absurd opinions that both preceded and followed its release. All I can say is Happy Listening!

Re: Sail Away guitars - I cannot remember where I wrote about that or even if I did! I know I specifically pointed out the guitar tracks on "The Right Time" as they reminded me of those quirky guitar ensemble arrangements from Pet Sounds and are very, very cool to focus on and listen to on that track, but I'll see if I can find any comments on Sail Away too.

Thanks again!  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: July 22, 2020, 05:04:45 PM »

Guitarfool,

You're absolutely right, it was 'The Right Time', not 'Sail Away' - the guitars in 'Sail Away' are intricate enough to my ears that I thought that was the song you did the breakdown of.

try to put aside all of the bullshit and juvenile shenanigans that happened after its release to simply enjoy a great album from Brian Wilson

I wish this more than anything in Brian's career. It really is a phenomenal album that deserves a lot more respect than it got.

The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: July 25, 2020, 09:59:07 AM »

Guitarfool,

You're absolutely right, it was 'The Right Time', not 'Sail Away' - the guitars in 'Sail Away' are intricate enough to my ears that I thought that was the song you did the breakdown of.

try to put aside all of the bullshit and juvenile shenanigans that happened after its release to simply enjoy a great album from Brian Wilson

I wish this more than anything in Brian's career. It really is a phenomenal album that deserves a lot more respect than it got.
If I may ask, what shenanigans are you guys referring to?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: July 25, 2020, 10:35:21 AM »

Where to begin.... Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: July 25, 2020, 11:33:29 AM »

Yeah, what SMiLE Brian said.

It basically first started when a clip of Brian and Zooey Deschanel working on ‘On The Island’ was released on social media. Certain people here and on social media had mental breakdowns because Brian was supposedly autotuned- even though it was such a poor quality clip recorded from some early ‘10s iPhone. So there was a lot of arguments back and forth about if auto tune was even used, and even if it was was it really worth all the trashing of Brian’s music?

It got so bad that management decided not to release any more clips.

One dude wrote that Joe Thomas (who worked with Brian on many of the songs) should throw himself from a skyscraper.

A bunch of fans were pissed that Brian was using younger/popular talent on the album - to the point they were rudely claiming that Brian would never have a radio hit again no matter who sang with him. This one was really sad because Brian has stated that his only goal anymore is to get another #1 song. Could it happen? Bob Dylan just got his first #1 charting song a month or so ago so it definitely could happen.

So then the album comes out and two fans decide it would be worth their time to completely berate the entire album in a series of written reviews posted on this forum. These were posted in their own thread here, and it got a lot of positive and negative feedback. Quotes like “It’s a stupid fucking pop song” were sprinkled throughout the review. It was just such a slap in the face to Brian. And they defended it as “Satire” when it was just a shitty thing to do to Brian and the people he worked with on that album.

Let’s see, if I recall correctly Casey Something from PopMatters wrote some absolute garbage review of NPP which was completely littered with inaccuracies. I took the time to call out every one of those inaccuracies in a post on this forum and he actually made an account and responded here with some absolutely ridiculous defense. He completely ignored the facts and was purely writing against me and others based on his emotions. To give you an idea of the mindset this guy had, in the opening paragraph of that review he compared Brian Wilson to an aged incoherent grandfather who has to be wheeled out and told what to say on Thanksgiving Day. It was so messed up and yet another slap in the face to Brian.

Another which caused drama was Mike refusing to listen to It’s About Time but claiming it wouldn’t be great if there was auto tune on it. Yes, the guy actually said that, and then proceeded to record a slew of albums that are drowning in auto tune. Anyways, this caused more “Mike hate” posts here and some people got annoyed about it.

This is all off the top of my head. I know there are plenty of other stories that others could share. Most of the people who were so negative were either banned for other reasons or left - this forum used to be completely full of irrational angst against Brian and Melinda, whereas now all that angst is docked in a different harbor.

Honestly, I think NPP is one of Brian’s best albums - it is just full of positive vibes, and it’s also rather somber at the end. It’s happy and sad, complex and sometimes simple. I’m personally thankful that he decided to make it.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx