gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:11:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348312 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: February 27, 2018, 09:34:45 PM »

Songwriters write songs, the ideas may slow down if not stop coming entirely at times but it's part of the creative makeup of a real songwriter that he or she will never stop writing songs and getting them out there.
Affirmative. Bruce clearly isn't into songwriting, why fans wish him to write stuff is big riddle. Brow Doubt as well that Bruce got gems lying in the archives.

Re: HMR - it's not fast as IGA & DDD but Al sings it with energy.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1326 on: February 27, 2018, 11:18:47 PM »

Best part of help me Rhonda  is the baseline, which is killer. It’s a nice song and I dig it but it’s now in my top 10

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: February 27, 2018, 11:21:53 PM »

I always loved that bassline but nobody mentions it. That's the best part.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1328 on: February 27, 2018, 11:31:29 PM »

That’s one thing that’s missing when Brian pulled back... he always wrote and produced some killer bass lines

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: February 27, 2018, 11:42:40 PM »

Best part of help me Rhonda  is the baseline
Sure tastes differ, views vary but everybody will agree with the fact HMR topped the charts due to its commercial sound, including Al's lead vocal. It doesn't start with intro & people 1st hear the singer.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1330 on: February 28, 2018, 12:03:45 AM »

Oh yeah, most definitely, but that bassline is my favorite part of the song

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: February 28, 2018, 12:43:00 AM »

Goin' To The Beach is a decent, fun song and should've definitely been on KTSA. Could've worked as better closer than Endless Harmony does.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: February 28, 2018, 05:18:09 AM »

Goin' To The Beach is a decent, fun song and should've definitely been on KTSA. Could've worked as better closer than Endless Harmony does.

I've never listened to all of KTSA, but I love Goin' To The Beach.  First heard it when I saw M&B in 2015 and I've loved it since then.

Now for these next unpopular opinion, I expect to be run off the board...:
I probably like the disco version of Here Comes the Night more than the original.  The original's growing on me, but I think it's the flat chord in the chorus that turns me off from it.  Plus, I love Carl's lead vocal and the bass part in the disco version.

The best part of When I Grow Up (To Be A Man) is the coda ("won't last forever..."); the rest isn't outstanding, but I love that part.
KDS
« Reply #1333 on: February 28, 2018, 05:25:11 AM »

KDS, I should have elaborated.

I would rather see Brian Wilson's show for an emotional, touching experience. To see the man who wrote and produced the songs, play them, is a very special experieince that I will always cherish.

Seeing Mike's "county fair" show is a blast, and gives me that "Beach Boys" experience, to dance and sing with my girlfriend.

But Mike's theater shows, where he plays many deep cuts, is my favorite current Beach Boys show. You get the energy of the county fair style shows, but the beauty of a Brian show. For example, I'd say hearing Disney Girls, Here Today, and Hearts Were Full Of Spring played live by Mike's band, is just as beautiful as what you'd hear at a Brian show.

Brian's shows carry a lot of emotional baggage for me. I, too, suffer from auditory hallucination and severe anxiety, so watching Brian, often feels like watching myself, and reminds me of disabilities, while also inspiring me, because he can get over them.

At the end of the day, I love any BBs related show--- Brian's band, Mike's band, and even the Surf City Allstars with Dean Torrence and/or David Marks and Al Jardine.

However, C50, which I didn't get to see, would be my preferred band to see over any of the others I mentioned.

I agree Nate.  I saw Mike do a theater show in Baltimore two years ago, and it was a great 42 song set.   

Unfortunately, I never attended a live BB related show until C50, but the C50 show definitely took the cake over the two M&B and four BW shows I've attended since. 
KDS
« Reply #1334 on: February 28, 2018, 05:26:10 AM »

I think Goin to the Beach is better than about 75% of KTSA.  It's not great, but nothing really beats that feeling of goin' to the beach. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1335 on: February 28, 2018, 06:22:18 AM »

I don't think feeling "Goin' to the Beach" would have worked for the KTSA album is an unpopular opinion. While the song isn't A-game material, it's very much of the same ilk as other stuff that made it onto the album like "Some of Your Love." I've never seen someone argue it was rightly cut from KTSA.

If anything, it has always been a head-scratcher that the song seemed/seems right up Mike's alley with its simple, blunt message/title, and was showcased in the "Going Platinum" documentary on the making of the album, yet they felt the need to cut it.

I guess arguing the song is a *great* song might be a somewhat unpopular opinion, but I think simply arguing it was good enough for KTSA is something few would or have disagreed with.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: February 28, 2018, 06:29:34 AM »

If you ever enjoyed a Brian show since 1999, you owe Melinda Wilson a debt of gratitude.  The idea of her being the BB vetsuon of Yoko Ono is insulting and misogynistic (to both Melinda and Yoko).

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: February 28, 2018, 02:27:05 PM »

Agreed, its been a great 20 years of BW solo!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: February 28, 2018, 04:55:07 PM »

If you ever enjoyed a Brian show since 1999, you owe Melinda Wilson a debt of gratitude.  The idea of her being the BB vetsuon of Yoko Ono is insulting and misogynistic (to both Melinda and Yoko).
You're 100% right. Besides, Melinda was the main factor to free him from Landy, not Carl/ fam did it 1st. She contacted them, then they joined. Ray Lawlor confirmed it in his posts here at Smiley. He should know being Brian's long-time friend. It's pictured in L&M.

"Goin' To The Beach" is Z-grade ditty. Wonder if Freddie French-Pounce made fun of it by slaughtering it. Evil

The Cigarette Light Joke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: March 03, 2018, 04:59:30 AM »

I’ve really enjoyed reading through this thread, it turns out that most views that go against the party-line of either the hardcore or casual fan base are in fact shared by quite a few.

Pretty much all my “unpopular opinions” have been covered already but for what it’s worth:

1- POB is massively overrated by critics and hardcore fans alike. It starts so promisingly with River Song and then immediately plummets in quality.

2- DW’s ballads and lead vocals, while at times beautiful, are often over-emotional and have an air of self-indulgence.

3- Brian Wilson is the only GREAT composer in The Beach Boys. The other members each have a handful of good ones (except perhaps Mike, who is by far the best lyricist in the band, but who composed very few songs), and only two that come close to BW levels of greatness- Forever and Disney Girls.

4- The music recorded for Smile is BETTER than the hype surrounding it would suggest. It is transcendent, and the lyrics magical.

5- Rio Grande sucks!
KDS
« Reply #1340 on: March 03, 2018, 10:45:02 AM »

I’ve really enjoyed reading through this thread, it turns out that most views that go against the party-line of either the hardcore or casual fan base are in fact shared by quite a few.

Pretty much all my “unpopular opinions” have been covered already but for what it’s worth:

1- POB is massively overrated by critics and hardcore fans alike. It starts so promisingly with River Song and then immediately plummets in quality.

2- DW’s ballads and lead vocals, while at times beautiful, are often over-emotional and have an air of self-indulgence.

3- Brian Wilson is the only GREAT composer in The Beach Boys. The other members each have a handful of good ones (except perhaps Mike, who is by far the best lyricist in the band, but who composed very few songs), and only two that come close to BW levels of greatness- Forever and Disney Girls.

4- The music recorded for Smile is BETTER than the hype surrounding it would suggest. It is transcendent, and the lyrics magical.

5- Rio Grande sucks!

I agree with 1 & 5.  POB is a good album, but overrated.  I'll never understand the love Rio Grande gets.  I think its a very forced attempt at a Smile sound, and sounds much more forced to me than the several Pet Sounds pastiches in Brian's solo career
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: March 04, 2018, 10:47:13 PM »

5- Rio Grande sucks!
I agree with 1 and 2. POB is a good album; maybe it gets overrated because of the BB albums released around the same time (LY/MIU). And I can think of several Dennis songs that start off nicely enough (For example, Be With Me), but to my ears, don't really go anywhere.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: March 04, 2018, 11:32:17 PM »

5- Rio Grande sucks!

Ovarrated among hardcore fans you mean? I don't think any BB music except for  the hits, Pet Sounds, and Smile is even popular enough in order to be considered overrated, technically. I agree Brian was their only great composer. They did achieve some greatness together, however, I think, on albums like Holland. I just realized one day that I pretty much love it all up to and including Love You - and I'm a big fan of BW88, including Rio Grande. Total patchwork but so good!
KDS
« Reply #1343 on: March 05, 2018, 06:06:49 AM »

5- Rio Grande sucks!
I agree with 1 and 2. POB is a good album; maybe it gets overrated because of the BB albums released around the same time (LY/MIU). And I can think of several Dennis songs that start off nicely enough (For example, Be With Me), but to my ears, don't really go anywhere.

I actually prefer MIU and most of LA (sans that disco mess) over POB personally.  I think POB has some good songs, and ultiimately, there are no real stinkers on it, but I think much of it is middle of the road. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: March 05, 2018, 06:09:00 AM »

People usually say Stars & Stripes is nadir but like few songs despite it. I'll say further - it's bad thru & thru. Boring covers by artists I couldn't care less.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: March 05, 2018, 10:12:35 AM »

5- Rio Grande sucks!

I actually prefer MIU and most of LA (sans that disco mess) over POB personally.  I think POB has some good songs, and ultiimately, there are no real stinkers on it, but I think much of it is middle of the road. 

I like POB a lot but I hardly ever listen to it from start to finish. For me, Dennis' material is more powerful when there's some sweet/playful BW stuff on the same record to balance things out. If only L.A. had more Brian songs... I just love the combination of Good Timin' and Baby Blue.
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: March 06, 2018, 07:52:53 PM »

How is it misogynistic? Just because they're women they can't be criticized?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: March 06, 2018, 08:10:35 PM »

Because it is... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: March 06, 2018, 10:43:58 PM »

5- Rio Grande sucks!

Now behave. But, I have to admit, first time hearing Rio Grande I was a bit underwhelmed. It wasn't quite what it was hyped up to be. However, the "I don't know how the river got so wide" section (and especially that line) are worth the admission alone.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: March 06, 2018, 10:53:54 PM »

To Post #1346:

1. Doesn't make sense to compare Melinda with Yoko.
2. They can be criticized but I support "everybody or nobody" idea. I.e. fans must bash every BB wife or no BB wife. Each of them manages respective BB. Fans' singling out Melinda is, to tell the truth, very weird.
3. Speaking of, every point brought up against her (canning Paley sessions, forcing Brian to tour etc.) isn't verified. If it is, so what? Doen't seem like big deal. It's not as if she tries to take the spotlight & joined Brian's band to sing back-ups & duet in studio & stage. The bizarrest thing is denying Ray Lawlor's confirming of the L&M movie 80s segments that Melinda did in fact 1st take action to free Brian from Landy by contacting family. As if admitting it & accepting it will take away...exactly what? From who?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:55:43 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx