gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:50:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348090 times)
KDS
« Reply #1300 on: February 25, 2018, 06:25:44 PM »

Best Christmas song The BBs did - "Christmas Day"
Best standard The BBs sang - "Cotton Fields"
Best groovy tune in BBs' catalog - "Honkin' Down The Highway"
Best ballad in BBs' catalog - "She Knows Me Too Well"
Best surf song in BBs' catalog - Alt. "Don't Back Down"

Christmas Day is also my favorite BB Xmaa song. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: February 26, 2018, 04:10:45 AM »

I'm glad Brian gave Al the chance to shine in Christmas Album vocally.

Many BBs fans, even Mike fans, disregard "Wrinkles" but you know what? It's not bad.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #1302 on: February 26, 2018, 05:11:02 AM »

I'm glad Brian gave Al the chance to shine in Christmas Album vocally.

Many BBs fans, even Mike fans, disregard "Wrinkles" but you know what? It's not bad.

To me, and I can't really put my finger on why, Christmas Day is the most Christmasey sounding song of the original songs on the album (keeping in mind the album version of Little Saint Nick doesn't include the sleigh bells). 

I don't think Wrinkles is that bad.   I just think at four and a half minutes, it sticks around too long.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1303 on: February 26, 2018, 07:23:46 AM »

Musically, there's nothing particularly wrong with "Wrinkles." It's very late 70s Eddie Rabbit-sounding, but that was how Mike's stuff (especially the "Country Love" stuff) was going to sound.

The issue is the lyrics, which have a hugely weird misplaced pathos. It's taking something kind of maudlin, and simultaneously seemingly treating it seriously but also lightly enough to do a country pop song.

The lyrics are too mawkish to take seriously, and the whole thing as a whole is presented too lightly for those who take such things seriously and emotionally.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: February 26, 2018, 12:58:08 PM »

To me, and I can't really put my finger on why, Christmas Day is the most Christmasey sounding song of the original songs on the album.
Agree but I stated "Christmas Day" is the "best Christmas song The BBs did", i.e. above every original & every cover.

The lyrics are too mawkish to take seriously, and the whole thing as a whole is presented too lightly for those who take such things seriously and emotionally.
To me, it ruins the listening to music if I try to hear what the song's about. It's good song, it's got joyful melody - what's not to like? Therefore, I really don't care if the song is too light, at least in "Wrinkles" case.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #1305 on: February 26, 2018, 01:01:50 PM »

To me, and I can't really put my finger on why, Christmas Day is the most Christmasey sounding song of the original songs on the album.
Agree but I stated "Christmas Day" is the "best Christmas song The BBs did", i.e. above every original & every cover.

To me, it ruins the listening to music if I try to hear what the song's about. It's good song, it's got joyful melody - what's not to like? Therefore, I really don't care if the song is too light, at least in "Wrinkles" case.

I'm really not sure if Christmas Day is my favorite overall BB Christmas song.  For me, it's probably neck and neck between Christmas Day and their cover of We Three Kings. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1306 on: February 26, 2018, 01:14:25 PM »

Literally never listening to the lyrics of any songs, feeling listening to lyrics "ruins" a song, is going to be a pretty unique, fringe opinion to take. I mean, I guess if one doesn't understand English at all or something it might be possible to ignore the lyrics. But otherwise, I can't fathom literally resigning merely paying attention to lyrics to "ruins the song" status.

So if the lyrics to "Good Vibrations" were about a serial killer, or if "Heroes and Villains" was about massive diarrhea, you'd be fine with that? 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: February 26, 2018, 01:22:00 PM »

So if the lyrics to "Good Vibrations" were about a serial killer, or if "Heroes and Villains" was about massive diarrhea, you'd be fine with that? 

If you switched those, the colorful clothes she wears could take a whole other meaning.

Sorry. I’ll see myself out.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: February 26, 2018, 01:44:37 PM »

2HeyJude: What I mean is, it's difficult to listen to music & lyrics simultaneously. If smb. tells me to hear lyrics, it'll be difficult to hear music aspect - vocals, backing track. Besides, I dislike some lyric subjects - TM, surfing, banal boy meets girl/ vice versa to name few. If I did care about lyrics, about this dislike, I wouldn't like thousand songs with these subjects, would dub them "bad". That said, music to me in any case without doubt is significant in songs.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: February 26, 2018, 02:10:08 PM »

2HeyJude: What I mean is, it's difficult to listen to music & lyrics simultaneously. If smb. tells me to hear lyrics, it'll be difficult to hear music aspect - vocals, backing track. Besides, I dislike some lyric subjects - TM, surfing, banal boy meets girl/ vice versa to name few. If I did care about lyrics, about this dislike, I wouldn't like thousand songs with these subjects, would dub them "bad". That said, music to me in any case without doubt is significant in songs.

Though I dislike Wrinkles, a whole hell of a lot, I totally know what you mean. I do the same with pretty much the entirety of the Little Deuce Coupe album...because none of the car jargon makes any sense to me. I instead choose to listen to the harmonies as instruments, and I don’t really hear lyrics but melodious sounds.

Take ‘Spirit Of America’, its one of my favorite Beach Boys tracks, but I doesn’t really dig the lyrics at all. I mean they are very out-there to anyone who does listen to them: a song about a guy on the salt flats driving a rocket car, not many people can relate to those lyrics. But if you solely listen to the sound, its one of their best harmony tracks ever.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: February 26, 2018, 03:23:28 PM »

Though I dislike Wrinkles, a whole hell of a lot, I totally know what you mean. I do the same with pretty much the entirety of the Little Deuce Coupe album...because none of the car jargon makes any sense to me. I instead choose to listen to the harmonies as instruments, and I don’t really hear lyrics but melodious sounds.

Take ‘Spirit Of America’, its one of my favorite Beach Boys tracks, but I doesn’t really dig the lyrics at all. I mean they are very out-there to anyone who does listen to them: a song about a guy on the salt flats driving a rocket car, not many people can relate to those lyrics. But if you solely listen to the sound, its one of their best harmony tracks ever.

"Car Crazy Cutie" is a great rockin' song with one of my favorite Brian leads.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: February 26, 2018, 03:40:50 PM »

Be True To Your School is probably their catchiest original song
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: February 27, 2018, 10:57:33 AM »

Here are some recent things that have come to my mind, that most would disagree with.

-I'd rather see the Mike&Bruce show, than Brian's current band.
-Jan & Dean made better Surf Rock songs than The Beach Boys did. (More specifically, Jan Berry's backing tracks were better! Surf City, Honolulu Lulu, Ride The Wild Surf, etc... had more rocking, tight, backing tracks)
- Marcella is vastly overrated.
-Bruce's compositions are vastly underrated.
-The Hite Morgan recording of Surfin' Safari is better than the Capitol one
-Summer In Paradise, Strange Things Happen, Still Surfin, and Lahaia Aloha are all great songs.
-Symphonic Sounds is a great CD (minus God Only Knows)
-I love the Mike/Adrian Baker re-records (Nascar, Summertime Cruisin, Catch A Wave albums)
-I do not like the song Friday Night by Dennis Wilson
-I'd take Randall Kirsch or Jeff Foskett's falsettos over Matt Jardines (and that's not to say I don't love Matt Jardine's voice)
-The first CD of Unleash The Love, in terms of material, not production, is better than Postcards From California
-Help Me, Rhonda is overrated. A classic, but overrated.
-The BBs cover of Da Doo Ron Ron is pretty dreadful.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1313 on: February 27, 2018, 11:23:47 AM »

I sadly disagree with everything except liking Strange Things Happen and Lahaina Aloha

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KDS
« Reply #1314 on: February 27, 2018, 11:25:17 AM »

Here are some recent things that have come to my mind, that most would disagree with.

-I'd rather see the Mike&Bruce show, than Brian's current band.
-Jan & Dean made better Surf Rock songs than The Beach Boys did. (More specifically, Jan Berry's backing tracks were better! Surf City, Honolulu Lulu, Ride The Wild Surf, etc... had more rocking, tight, backing tracks)
- Marcella is vastly overrated.
-Bruce's compositions are vastly underrated.
-The Hite Morgan recording of Surfin' Safari is better than the Capitol one
-Summer In Paradise, Strange Things Happen, Still Surfin, and Lahaia Aloha are all great songs.
-Symphonic Sounds is a great CD (minus God Only Knows)
-I love the Mike/Adrian Baker re-records (Nascar, Summertime Cruisin, Catch A Wave albums)
-I do not like the song Friday Night by Dennis Wilson
-I'd take Randall Kirsch or Jeff Foskett's falsettos over Matt Jardines (and that's not to say I don't love Matt Jardine's voice)
-The first CD of Unleash The Love, in terms of material, not production, is better than Postcards From California
-The BBs cover of Da Doo Ron Ron is pretty dreadful.

I'm with you on the Bruce Johnston, Unlease the Love, and Summer in Paradise opinions.

As for the live bands, I think it depends.   If you're seeing a UK or theater Mike and Bruce concert, they can give Brian and his band a serious run for the money.   However, if it's an outdoor meat and potatoes summer matinee show with 32 songs in the set, I'll take Brian's band.  
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1315 on: February 27, 2018, 11:48:59 AM »

Concerning Bruce's compositions within the context of the BBs, there are so few that I've never felt his songwriting work in the band has been underrated. Fans seem to love "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up." What else is there? "The Nearest Faraway Place", "Endless Harmony", "She Believes in Love Again", and a few other odds and ends ("Happy Endings"?).

I'd argue that Bruce in some respects is overrated. It's often stated as a given that he's a hugely talented musician and songwriter. I think he almost certainly *was* a good musician, and still has the capacity to be one if he wants to, but chooses not to use that skill whatsoever (in public anyway). And while I love several of his songs and can't muster up any particular hate for his work (I think his few post-KTSA compositions are pretty bland), my impression has never been that he's a hugely skillful or prolific songwriter.

I think his best role within the BBs was an auxiliary/ancillary musician and especially vocalist, and in later years (upon his 1978 return) a good mediator/facilitator for at least several years.

Since the mid-late 80s, he honestly hasn't brought much to the table. Even if he felt he shouldn't force his material on the BBs more, he hasn't seen fit since rejoining the band 40 years ago to cut a solo album.

To me, the people who have music "in their veins" so to speak usually continue to create to some degree (unless health of other factors along those lines intervene). McCartney, Brian Wilson, Paul Simon, etc.

That *none* of the guys outside of Brian cut a solo album outside of the BBs after Carl's in 1983 until the posthumous 1/3 of an album we got from Carl in 1998/99 and then Al's album a DECADE later shows that these guys just never felt that spark. Which is a bummer. But I digress.

KDS
« Reply #1316 on: February 27, 2018, 12:00:28 PM »

Concerning Bruce's compositions within the context of the BBs, there are so few that I've never felt his songwriting work in the band has been underrated. Fans seem to love "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up." What else is there? "The Nearest Faraway Place", "Endless Harmony", "She Believes in Love Again", and a few other odds and ends ("Happy Endings"?).

I'd argue that Bruce in some respects is overrated. It's often stated as a given that he's a hugely talented musician and songwriter. I think he almost certainly *was* a good musician, and still has the capacity to be one if he wants to, but chooses not to use that skill whatsoever (in public anyway). And while I love several of his songs and can't muster up any particular hate for his work (I think his few post-KTSA compositions are pretty bland), my impression has never been that he's a hugely skillful or prolific songwriter.

I think his best role within the BBs was an auxiliary/ancillary musician and especially vocalist, and in later years (upon his 1978 return) a good mediator/facilitator for at least several years.

Since the mid-late 80s, he honestly hasn't brought much to the table. Even if he felt he shouldn't force his material on the BBs more, he hasn't seen fit since rejoining the band 40 years ago to cut a solo album.

To me, the people who have music "in their veins" so to speak usually continue to create to some degree (unless health of other factors along those lines intervene). McCartney, Brian Wilson, Paul Simon, etc.

That *none* of the guys outside of Brian cut a solo album outside of the BBs after Carl's in 1983 until the posthumous 1/3 of an album we got from Carl in 1998/99 and then Al's album a DECADE later shows that these guys just never felt that spark. Which is a bummer. But I digress.

The guys from Pink Floyd weren't the most swift musicians when it came to releasing solo material.  I think it's amazing that it took Roger Waters 25 years to follow up 1992's Amused to Death.  Unlike Al, Carl, or Mike, he was the chief songwriter in his band.   I think it's also really easy for some of these guys to coast on past glories.   Whether or not that means they do or don't have a creative spark, I really can't say. 

Al and Carl also weren't the most prolific songwriters during their BB tenures, so I don't think their lack of solo output to be overly surprising. 
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: February 27, 2018, 02:48:38 PM »

KDS, I should have elaborated.

I would rather see Brian Wilson's show for an emotional, touching experience. To see the man who wrote and produced the songs, play them, is a very special experieince that I will always cherish.

Seeing Mike's "county fair" show is a blast, and gives me that "Beach Boys" experience, to dance and sing with my girlfriend.

But Mike's theater shows, where he plays many deep cuts, is my favorite current Beach Boys show. You get the energy of the county fair style shows, but the beauty of a Brian show. For example, I'd say hearing Disney Girls, Here Today, and Hearts Were Full Of Spring played live by Mike's band, is just as beautiful as what you'd hear at a Brian show.

Brian's shows carry a lot of emotional baggage for me. I, too, suffer from auditory hallucination and severe anxiety, so watching Brian, often feels like watching myself, and reminds me of disabilities, while also inspiring me, because he can get over them.

At the end of the day, I love any BBs related show--- Brian's band, Mike's band, and even the Surf City Allstars with Dean Torrence and/or David Marks and Al Jardine.

However, C50, which I didn't get to see, would be my preferred band to see over any of the others I mentioned.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1318 on: February 27, 2018, 03:36:06 PM »

I can definitely understand that.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: February 27, 2018, 03:38:48 PM »

Well said nate! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: February 27, 2018, 04:47:12 PM »

I love the cover of Da Doo Ron Ron. As for the rest, never mind.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 04:58:05 PM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1321 on: February 27, 2018, 05:09:38 PM »

The cover’s ok, but I honestly am not even that much of a fan of the original.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: February 27, 2018, 05:24:31 PM »

Well it's the least praised BBs hit. You'll read/ see many talk up "California Girls" & "I Get Around". Even "Kokomo" is discussed in details. HMR seems forgotten.

2HeyJude: agree with the Bruce points.

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: February 27, 2018, 05:32:17 PM »

I think the song seems a bit blase, compared to most of their big hits. Not as energetic as something like I Get Around or Dance Dance Dance and doesn't have great lyrical content (IMO) either.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 05:33:09 PM by Gabo » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1324 on: February 27, 2018, 08:15:05 PM »

Songwriting is a trade, a skill, an art, a profession, a calling, and ultimately a talent too. And a gift.

Some people can be given a blank sheet of paper and fill it with something interesting, funny, compelling, or even profound. Others would get the blank sheet of paper and ask "what am I supposed to do with this?".

That's just the nature of having a gift or a natural talent for doing something creative. Some have it, some don't.

But it speaks volumes if not closes the book on who did what regarding Beach Boys members and songwriting just to look at how many songs, solo and with the BB's, each member actually wrote and released. I don't know if it's feeling a spark or simply having the talent of a true songwriter.

Songwriters write songs, the ideas may slow down if not stop coming entirely at times but it's part of the creative makeup of a real songwriter that he or she will never stop writing songs and getting them out there.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx