gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:07:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348076 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: January 11, 2017, 06:47:42 AM »

"Deirdre" is one of the greatest BBs songs
KDS
« Reply #1226 on: January 11, 2017, 07:27:00 AM »

I really like Deidre, and Bruce's contributions overall to 20/20, Sunflower, and Surf's Up.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: January 11, 2017, 02:46:45 PM »

The Landlocked version of 'Big Sur' is a lot lot lot lot better than the Holland version.
'My Diane' is a masterpiece.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 02:58:09 PM by Adult Child » Logged

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: January 14, 2017, 03:25:03 PM »

Agreed. Everyone pans MIU but ignores the great songs on it like Pitter Patter, Sweet Sunday, Hey Little Tomboy and whatnot. My Diane is definitely the best. That is one of Brian's best songs imo. So much emotion and sadness in Dennis's vocals and the words - "memories haunt me/night and day"
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: January 15, 2017, 04:06:18 AM »

I really like Deirdre, and Bruce's contributions overall to 20/20, Sunflower, and Surf's Up.

Me too. "Deirdre" has plenty of endearing moments, including the swirling flutes and the moment when it stops and starts again towards the end. The 1970 single of "Tears" was all I ever knew of Sunflower for over 30 years----including the name of the album!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: January 15, 2017, 04:17:04 AM »

Agreed. Everyone pans MIU but ignores the great songs on it like Pitter Patter, Sweet Sunday, Hey Little Tomboy and whatnot. My Diane is definitely the best. That is one of Brian's best songs imo. So much emotion and sadness in Dennis's vocals and the words - "memories haunt me/night and day"

I would love to see a poll about how many people around here think HLT is a great song and how many think it is an absolutely awful song.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: January 15, 2017, 06:18:29 AM »

'What I Really Want For Christmas' was the last, true, great Brian Wilson / Beach Boys related album
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: January 15, 2017, 06:52:20 AM »

The Landlocked version of 'Big Sur' is a lot lot lot lot better than the Holland version.

Is that really an unpopular opinion?
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: January 15, 2017, 07:15:01 AM »

Is that really an unpopular opinion?

From everything I've read it is. But maybe I haven't read that much.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: January 15, 2017, 07:40:41 AM »

You mean what you read at Smiley? It's popular opinion here that Big Sur 4/4 is best version. I & some people disagreed.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: January 15, 2017, 07:43:44 AM »

You mean what you read at Smiley? It's popular opinion here that Big Sur 4/4 is best version. I & some people disagreed.

Yeah pretty much

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1236 on: January 15, 2017, 10:29:41 AM »

'Deirdre' is a wonderful song, with superb vox from Bruce and cutting edge instrumentation. It's always been a favourtie of mine from Sunflower.  Cool Guy
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: January 15, 2017, 12:53:23 PM »

'Deirdre' is a wonderful song, with superb vox from Bruce and cutting edge instrumentation. It's always been a favourtie of mine from Sunflower.  Cool Guy

Deidre is an old ladies name here in the UK. Like Ethel or Edith. I always imagine he's singing about his Gran. Lots of people love Deidre, and the way she overcooks her cauliflower in the pressure cooker, one, two, three and I'm knitting with Deidre.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: January 15, 2017, 04:02:37 PM »

I always skip over "Disney Girls" on Surfs Up. In fact, I always forget it even exists, and I love the Surfs Up album in general
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: January 15, 2017, 04:05:32 PM »

Shocked

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: January 15, 2017, 08:54:14 PM »

Andrew Doe is the world's number 1 Beach Boys scholar.  Wink

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1241 on: January 15, 2017, 08:57:42 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
ThreeCats
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: January 15, 2017, 11:17:56 PM »

The American Spring version of Forever is better than the Beach Boys version.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: January 15, 2017, 11:21:59 PM »

The American Spring version of This Whole World is better than the Beach Boys version.

Love that album
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: January 16, 2017, 05:17:57 AM »

I really like Deidre, and Bruce's contributions overall to 20/20, Sunflower, and Surf's Up.

Sunflower/Surf's Up Bruce contributions are great - 'Deidre' should definitely be a top favorite for fans. I don't care too much for 'The Nearest Faraway Place' though - too much shmaltzy rolling piano.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: January 16, 2017, 08:21:08 AM »

DEIRDRE is a particularly fun song to play on piano, having as it does complex chords and their progressions which give all your 10 fingers lots to do

I'd like to see a simple and direct Sunflower L.P. track line-up discussion thread, that is the continually evolving timetable over the months in '69/'70 of what song titles got added and others cut, all the boys producing so much output at the time and warner brothers repeatedly sending it back for a stronger 1st showing
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: January 16, 2017, 05:55:54 PM »

While enjoying both bio's from last year, I'm learning more about the band from Mikes than Brian's.
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: January 16, 2017, 09:28:29 PM »

Let me start by saying how much I love Al Jardine and his contributions , He is also a genuinely nice person. But I feel his presence made the band look less hip, the stripes shirts were inspired by the Kingston Trio in which Al was a big fan of and I assume is responsible for.  His vocals remind me of the fact that he was going to be a dentist i.e. not good. David Marks on the other hand had a cooler look and looking at early pictures of the band with David, they look much better.  I wish he wasn't in the band and I also wish The Band had a different name . I know this sounds harsh but I feel that The Beach Boys are one of the best bands of all time but because of an image problem people discard the band as nothing but a good surf band with the exceptions of the aficionados.  On top of that I'm not a fan of Matt Jardine's voice, Its too squeaky and I am so surprised that people like him.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1248 on: January 16, 2017, 09:39:13 PM »

I have to agree with you about the name, and image, but you're seriously the only person I have ever seen say that Al's voice isn't good. I know it's your opinion, and i'm not giving you grief over it, just saying I'm kind of blown away right now!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: January 16, 2017, 11:34:19 PM »

I agree Billy. He has sullied the unpopular opinions thread with his madness.  Razz
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx